Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Is there any scenario where teching is a better idea than preemptive jabs?

I guess you can delay the tech long enough to block a frame trap.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Question is my computer good enough to play this. Because it runs like poo poo for me.

i5-4200 @ 2.50GHz
gtx 760m
8GB ram

Your computer is good enough but sadly the launch build intoduced some weird rear end performance issues on Win7 and one of them is ignoring dedicated GPUs whenever integrated graphics are present. Apparently upgrading to Win10 solves this, but I haven't had time to try it yet.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I played online for the first time today and I learnt that when there's any pressure whatsoever I can't combo for poo poo and mess up the most basic things. Fighting actual people is way more fun than the computer though, and I really like just playing through survival mode and stuff anyway. Also, I got no lag and the game only matched me up with people around my skill level which was nice, but matchmaking was way too slow. Hopefully, I just chose a bad time to play or something because I don't like waiting 10 minutes for a single match. :(

Also, is there any reason to try and build Ken's V gauge with his V-skill? I can get some use out of the dash but the kick seems useless. Is there any strategies for it or should I just ignore it?

You shouldn't be waiting 10 minutes for a match, might need to forward ports or dmz your router.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Artelier posted:

Learn a hitconfirm and blockstring combo from the same start. Even something simple like "Oh he blocked the low MK so I just do the motion but don't press the button for the special" could work. If hits, you press the button. You don't want to end combos that are blocked with unsafe moves.

Iirc the only non-counter confirm Laura has is c.lp/c.lk st.lk Bolt Charge.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm still trying to figure this out. I've never really played fireball characters in any game and so I'm trying to force out a jump to AA, but have no idea of what actually to do with the fireballs to make this happen.

Throw one or two fireballs, stand in a range where their jumpin would hit and then do a fake fireball by crouching and whiffing a st.lp and buffer dp. Same against Karin except don't even throw any fireballs.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I was joking, that dude goes on forever about how netcode doesn't exist in the MKX thread and there is literally nothing that can ever be done to make an online experience between any two given connections better or worse

There's no such thing as netcode because you can't make philosophical adjustments due to frame-dependent gameplay. I'm not just stringing together words at random, why do you ask?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Akuma's V-Trigger should clearly be Good Akuma

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Which one, was there a non-Hayabusa version of the HRAP v4?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Golem II posted:

The people in this thread are horrible

The people in this thread are great and I love every one of you!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
So Laura's the worst character in the game huh

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
We just know you're secretly tierwhoring and don't want to share a seat on the gravy train

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Trykt posted:

:siren:COMBO DUMP POST:siren:

Is st.MP, c.HP xx HP SRK not worth doing over the other starters even if you're in range?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

i hate big lobbies, and i hate xrd's lobby system for that reason. when i'm playing online i want to loving play, not watch other people play. the whole reason i'm playing online is so that i can play the max amount of time for the least amount of effort (and because people only want to play offline like twice a week), so the worst thing ever is when six people want to join a lobby and sit there watching two people play instead of actually playing

I was shocked when I found out that the simultaneous match lobbies from Skullgirls isn't a standard feature found in every online fighting game, what the gently caress japan

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Is there a reason why fighting games don't decouple rendering and have the game logic update at a set tickrate? Well, besides :effort:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

!Klams posted:

Surely then your actions on the pad would not directly correlate with what's happening on the screen to within the same accuracy?

You would still render at a fixed multiple of the game's simulation tickrate, but skipping frames seems like a way better fallback than slowing down the simulation when Capcom can't even get all the stages to stay at 60 fps on the loving PS4.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Thanks! I'll have a look.

Be aware that controllers that don't support xinput (everything not made for xbox 360/one) will need to be mapped through xpadder/x360ce/joy2key until Capcom patches in dinput support

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Dragon Punches were the reason I didn't get into fighting games for years and played smash instead.

Then one day I got Street Fighter Alpha 2 on my university lecture laptop.

I got a lot better at doing DPs and a lot worse at economics.

And then I realised you were meant to play fighters on a joystick and it was far too late for me.

Why not get a hitbox, it's pretty much a more comfy keyboard layout and a license to be a smug jerkoff all the time!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

darealkooky posted:

there's no need to be rude, the entire point of SF5 is to be Esports and one of the fundamental ways that one becomes Esports is by making a name for yourself by posting videos on youtube that get hella views

it's not the players fault there's nothing actually useful to discover and make a tutorial video for, people are doing the best they can

"I found out this cool thing I'm calling Dark Invincible Counter Kata os that works when you push LP and LK together. The game decides between throwing the opponent or breaking a throw if you're being thrown!"

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Man if there was a legit guide on how to make a hitbox from parts that I could find easily I might actually do it.

Anyway, my Laura's getting better slowly. What's irritating is having to wean myself off using the command throw after LP elbow and using a normal back throw instead since I realised how much better back throw is. But as I've been doing this I've been wondering if I should switch to Bison. Notably all of this is premised on the idea that I'm just playing a character to teach me things until Balrog comes out. (Oh, and that I hate DPMs)

While back throw gives you better oki, if your opponent notices that you never go for the command grab, they get out of that mixup for free since delayed tech beats both meaties and regular throws.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

croutonZA posted:

Say what you want about people itt who dislike the game, but at one point most people were loving the direction it was going in. Then beta 2 happened and lol.

All the things grumpy old man posters don't like about the game were present before beta 2

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lothire posted:

I'm happy with my progress, but now I'm up against Silver players that are really on point. I need to buckle down and focus on being consistent with the basics, yet I find I don't really want to do that with Necalli. He's fun, but the way I need to play him doesn't feel complete against a lot of different match-ups. At least not the way I'm learning to play him. Noted a million times before, his lacking normals make competing in that area difficult. Having to bypass the footsies game in the various ways that I do doesn't sit right with me in the long term, because I've a desire to learn the game proper. So long as I want to learn in a part of the game where my character is the weakest performing, it seems a better idea to change up to someone more capable.

If you want to get better at footsies, just practice footsies. Having worse normals forces you to get better sooner.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 7, 2016

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bhsman posted:

I'm in a bit of the same area, which is that I'm enjoying Necalli but I recognize that he's limited in a lot of ways; while this doesn't make him a 'bad' character, per se, but it's teaching me to play the game in a bit of a scrubby way. The best I can tell you is to go ahead and learn Ryu/Chun; at best, they'll be a pocket character for bad matchups, and, at worst, they'll teach you about that character's limits for the next time you face them with Necalli.

Why would you swap to Ryu if stubby normals is your complaint

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I'm glad everything works fine for you but that is not the case for other people and they should not be barred from venting their frustrations because you personally do not enjoy seeing it

People bitching about the same things every page should be called out for it because that poo poo is almost "Look at these random pics of hurtboxes not matching the model WAKE UP SHEEPLE" levels of dumb and I say that as someone who can't play the game at all unless I upgrade to Win 10.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

teagone posted:

Maybe Hobo should move to a new location so he can get better connections :colbert:

Isn't Hobo from Sheffield? If so, that is a great suggestion for way more reasons than just the internet.

AnonSpore posted:

Is it okay if I bitch about different things every page then

You could probably have unique material for every page without running out anytime soon, because Capcom aren't very good!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Revelant posted:

3f jabs pretty much stop most of her pressure unless the Laura is looking to frame trap.

Does st.lk leave you in range for command throw?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Goddamn I'm really loving the game right now. Evil Canadian spent an hour last night kicking my poo poo in, but I actually feel like I might be getting better at this.

If only we could have Mortal Kombat X's presentation with SFV's netcode and actual game.

If by presentation you mean having an actual story mode

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Revelant posted:

Well pretty much any meatie can be reversalled. So its a risk you take I guess.

But currently I'm dealing with a lot of jabbers.
With laura I have a few counter combos, but thinking about it and when they wake up I should just use her s.HP get a crush counter just go to town there.

You're going to get jabbed out of startup if they quickrise

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Fellblade posted:

Why would this happen? Surely that's only if you don't land it meaty?

Most of her knockdowns leave you at 0 or less after forward dash if the opponent quickrises and you only get a cr.MP off back throw vs 3 frame normals.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Foodahn posted:

Most of her knockdowns give great meaty pressure actually. All of them in fact.

I'm going off wrong information then and will have to lab that myself.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Blinn posted:

I tried the forced vsync off thing and everything definitely felt a lot better and responsive- I can't believe I didn't notice nearly 150ms of input delay.
Unfortunately the screen tearing hurts my eyes so much that after about 30 minutes of playing I just changed it back.

Don't make me choose between winning a game and not being in pain, Capcom... that ain't right

Did you try to disable the in-game vsync and then force v-sync from your GPU driver?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I wonder if g-sync introduces any lag. Also, do 144hz monitors even do anything if the game is capped at 60fps?

If you're locked at 60 fps, g-sync is just regular v-sync. No, the monitor just redraws the last framebuffer until it gets the next new frame.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Does that have any effect on tearing?

Tearing can still happen but it's way less noticable since the torn frame is visible for shorter time.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 16, 2016

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

apple posted:

So basically if you turn off vsync to get ~80ms of input lag on PC you're potentially gaining some form of advantage over PS4 users. I'm curious to see how the SFV netcode handles the discrepancy in input lag during crossplay, if at all.. :v:

I don't think it should affect the connection, same as using a laggier controler.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
That's a good name alright

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Capcom outsourced SFV netcode to a Korean mobile app game developer?

I thought that's probably for their server backend but nope, real time p2p multiplayer. So much for "we're not licensing GGPO because we're writing our own netcode!"

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
How do I autocorrect dp, is it just timing the button press or do I have to do a different motion?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

It's when they cross you up and you do shoryuken but it goes the other way on it's own because it's baby street fighter and knowing left from right was deemed too much for stupid gaijin fighting game players.

Press P after the cross up I think. I really dont know, it works everytime I do it with Ryu.

I am worse than a stupid gaijin because I get a medium punch every time I tried. Guess I just have to grind it out in training

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bhsman posted:

Multiple big-name players have admitted it's a critical part of the game, tough poo poo? :shrug:

As is hitconfirming and whiff punishing but you don't see Reddit going wild about the HITCONFIRM META

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. Trying to make things more accessible and in the end making them harder for everyone is the entire history of Capcom. Remember FADC?

I had to force myself to slow down qcf motions after walking forward because otherwise a dp would cone out even when ending the motion on up forward, not sure who thought that was a good idea.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bhsman posted:

I know, because you and others have complained about it before, but that doesn't change the fact that people like using the term. It just comes across as 'Gamer is angry at new thing the evolution of language' than anything else.

It's funny because people cling and inflate the meaning of random words to make themselves feel better about being bad at videogames. No one is going to take shimmy away from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a notable difference between how Street Fighter V plays on the PC and how it does on the PS4? Like do I need to time things different? Would I have difficulty adjusting to the PS4 when I go out for tournaments? I have a very high end PC by the way that will have no problem running the game at a smooth 60 FPS.

Only if you disable vsync to make the game slightly less poo poo