Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the buttons are bad and so are the throws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Typically the advantage of 1 button throws is that although they're point blank they have no start up to make up for how much you have to telegraph them.

The advantage of 2 button throws is extra range on top of the start up and whiff animation.

Capcom has finally bridged the gap and brought you the best of two worlds, 5 frame throws with 1 frame range. They don't give a hard knockdown either, so you can always #RiseUp

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Nothing about 1 button throws necessitates they be short range. Guilty Gear is the game with shortest 1 button throw ranges and they're still respectable, about as short as they should be for a game like that.

Outside of kara throws, street fighter games with 1 button throws have always had more range.

well i'm even more confused then

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfe1vKKU8I

Pomp fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 22, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nitramster posted:

Can I get some experienced player feedback on gootecks "how to hold an arcadestick" tutorial? Starting around 8 minutes he goes over the right hand and I'd like a little feedback on how you all do it. Mainly he wants single buttons to be pressed with the pointer and middle finger together, and lp/lk mp/lk hp/hk buttons pushed together with 2 fingers rather than a thumb, or even across 1 finger.

Coming into SF5 I always assumed it would be, keep your fingers over each button ready to push at any moment, with your thumb ready to light kick.

(Oh btw I bought a Hori RAP4 Kai, my first stick :awesome:)

press your buttons however feels comfortable to you

edit:also hold your stick however feels comfortable just don't loving form a fist around and it, move it with your wrists and go ham on the poor little thing

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

You're assuming goons aren't high level?

only in anime

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Respectable in my book is EVO champ. If you're not an EVO champ, you're a scrub.

i agree that kbr is a respectable person

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lhet posted:

Ordered some parts.

Not sure whether I'll completely switch to stick as my main controller, but I definitely want to own a standard fightstick so I'm not completely worthless with them.

god drat i love poverty sticks

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

https://twitter.com/HelloKittyRicky/status/701545163882000384

Can anyone explain to this dank noob what that means?

I've also noticed that the Chuns I've seen (Ricki, Nuki, some replays from high-level ranked) never seem to use the SBK BnB. The only time non-EX SBK seems to come out is when they are in Renkiko

you have to be in throw range for the whole combo connect work, and if they block you're out of range for frame traps after st.mp

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

F2B posted:

Fight-by-the-numbers / "Street Fighter Hero" with all its sing-along baked-in combos made it felt like you were just getting spoon fed a game that what once was based on improvisational fighting styles as much as it was about winning an actual game. It's better than 4 broke.

i understand these words but not how they apply to SFV

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

F2B posted:

Yeah. It's not a losing strategy. It's just not one I'm too fond of. Mistake-based victories imposed or otherwise seem to me like technical victories rather than real ones. That's all.

what

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why are some CC buttons lower reward than a normal hit with the same button

edit: chun CC 4hp can do 234 damage/315 stun for one bar or it can do 280/430 with that same bar on a normal hit

Pomp fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 22, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i will fight literally anyone on my continent in guilty gear anytime i'me home with is all the time because all my friends are students working 3 jobs and i just have the 1 job so i just play video games alone in my room all day like i'm 16 again so please come fight me in guilty gear

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
will barkley 2 have good normals

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i take back everything chuns air throw feels amazing is good and leads to an honest to god guaranteed meaty 4hp > frame trap/throw mix up

Pomp fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 22, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i started having earnest fun once i started scooping with chun's air throw because i got to two back to back ch/throw mixups and i love that poo poo, plz buff the throws capcom

use it against raw dhalsim tps, it's some good game feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V22MYc0BZLg

It's really hard to set up the whole chain in SFVs training mode, so i had to separate the meaty proof and the actual frame trap. Works on any part of the screen. 4hp is used into of the +3 5mp because 5mp pushes back more for some reason, making it harder to walk in for a throw, but Chun's jab will beat trade with itself if you don't' use 5mp on her quick rise for some goofy reason.

Instead of the meaty you can go for a throw, and a brief step forward will put you into throw range afterwards. If 4hp CCs confirm into legs, if they try to jump you have a few options on normal rise. If you were charging you can ex kikoken, 2lp, lk sbk, or if you hit meaty enough you can combo directly into 2mk mk sbk. Otherwise just confirm into legs.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
evo is tentatively allowing ds4 this year

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
they already gave t.hawk a gun and took it away

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you can play chun li at a beginner to mediocre level with just pokes, antiairs, cr.lp, st.mp, cr.mk into hk legs and simple enough punish combos and she's one of the few characters in this game with room to grow outside of her canned toolkit

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i get mad when slayer throws me and goes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whatcha gonna do? thanks for reading

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Agoat posted:

I put Ryu as the beginner character in the OP cause he has a simple reversal to understand that's easy to input. It's easy to get blown up throwing out YOLO reversals and I figured it'd be a good lesson to learn.

But if Chun is considered a good learning character despite the charge moves I'll add her in.

you get to learn that lesson as chun by spending a bar each time

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

thats cool because his tutorials are whats constantly regurgitated to anyone wanting to get into gg

it's hard to gently caress those up when they're like the most basic rundowns of characters and concepts

ol' tilty mcburstslam pomp could tell you anything in those videos

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

General Morden posted:

would your venom video just be a video stating DONT PLAY THIS CHARACTER HES BAD

coincidentally you could also make the same video for sf5 and make it apply to everybody except maybe chun

my venom video would be 10 minutes of me flubbing fino setups before giving up and introducing the audience to their friend k ball

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

fleeing from bad game marvel 3, clearly

i'll accept you in sfv taskmaster

can he zone

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

man nurse posted:

So are there just not stage BGMs?

they only play in lobbies

capcom is dumb, you see

Jaragoh posted:

Looking for some help.

I bought a PS3 SF4 TE fightstick from a friend yesterday and SFV is not recognizing any input from it. Windows recognizes it and registers any button presses in setup, and I've tried Joy2Pad and XPadder to program the keys.

DId I just waste my money buying a stick that's not compatible?

dinput support is coming at a later date, use the rebinding programs listed above #riseup

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
fund my kickstarter its a deconstruction i'll put some hitboxes on a black void 50 bucks gets the the exclusive hitsphere character

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
air throw

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
it's true edward snowden is now a frankenstein in russia

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i jumped into a lobby and now the game doesn't accept my stick anymore, while Xrd is fine

edit:I had to restart my pc for it to work again

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 24, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you think "your" character sucks or is bad, I'm sorry to say but it's most likely you. Each character in this game is amazing 🤗 #SFV

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Objectively speaking her buttons aren't great, but relatively speaking 5mk and 5hp are the best pokes in the game

I will accept back any previous games 5mp or 5hp in exchange for everyone else getting better hitboxes though

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Goodpart posted:

I would take SFXT Chun SF4 Chun 3S Chun and ST Chun any day over SF5 Chun

Agreed but relatively speaking she still rules this poo poo pile

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why can't pokes be plus on block I don't get it

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sarchasm posted:

Chun is terrible in SF4. She's a footsie character in a game where every character has a focus attack to blow up footsies. She needs a bar of meter just to challenge the focus attack. She also needs a bar of meter to do a reversal in a game where setplay is so strong we had to coin the word "vortex" just to talk about it. She also needs that meter to do any respectable damage either with Super or by comboing into U2 from EX Legs. Even if you removed focus attacks from SF4--which would make her considerably stronger--Chun would still be constantly meter poor and without any decent setplay options of her own. SF5 Chun is a goddamn Terminator by comparison.

The other Chuns might still be stronger though. No idea what's up with SFxT Chun because I didn't play that game.

they're all footsies monsters in games with no stupid focus attack mechanic, praise ono for that at least

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Man, I really hope Makoto is a season 2 character.

she'll have a walk speed of 0 and only be able to move with normals

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

Quick aside from shop:

How is the netcode and all that stuff on the PC version? I keep buying fighting games on Steam and getting burned by the online experience. You'd think I'd learn my lesson, but I have too much of this human disease called "hope"

it's good on a perfect connection where neither of you have done anything the game doesn't like (there's quite a few of these) and straight unplayable if anything at all goes wrong with anything. It's also not unlikely that a match that seemed good on your end was a teleporting mess for the other guy. I'm not sure the people calling the netcode good have actually played with good rollback. You'll also hear some people say that a match that was unplayable in this would be as unplayable in delay based, but same state should never look like this on a stable connection, let alone when Skullgirls could handle me playing a loving Romanian with like one noticeable rollback every 10 games or so.

Play Xrd

Pomp fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 24, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dhamster posted:

I'm going to be doing this. If you get hit, it's your own fault.

Okay, then I'm going to start kicking air like this.

...and if any part of you should fill that air, It's your own fault.

thank you for this post

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

giogadi posted:

Has anyone been to the Folsom Street Foundry to play SF? How's the scene on Wednesdays? I feel like being social tonight but also wanna play video games, so this looks right up my alley right now

SF has a strong scene in like every game of you know where to look, FSF is the place to go for street fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why has bebop abandoned the kbrad posting brand