Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Bought this for PC but I have an ATI Radeon HD 4800 which is from like pre-2010 I think so only half of the stuff in the game is rendering. It's pretty interesting fighting another mans and having no idea what your HP or meters are because there are no bars, also the Select Region screen on account creation was a complete guess so now I am from Brazil I guess??

Game is good, fun and easy to get into, most of my annoyances from SF4 are gone and playing the spacing and footsie game is much more fun than guessing left-right block and doing combos. Good Online Game, Bad Offline Game.

Ryu feels kind of... bad? His fireballs don't pack much of a punch and his limbs feel pretty stubby, c.mk has so short range, I don't really know what to do at like s.mp range since none of my buttons are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

so does this game still suck rear end? I am gay for street fighter, but I somehow don't feel the need to fork over 60 bucks for what is a beta, but not really.

The "playing against humans" portion of the game is very good, the "playing against AI" portion is garbage.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Real Soviet Muscle Power is thoroughly baller in this game. Comboing into super from Muscle Burst will never not be amazing, I don't know if his running grab is actually useful for anything at all, air grab is such a killer though, his v-trigger is good, and to be honest the fact that he doesn't have Green Hand or any other random tool to help him advance makes him play and feel exactly like he should, like a tower of sweaty bearwrastlin muscle slowly poking his way toward you and never stopping. I don't know if he is great but he is good and crazy fun and teaches you good fundamentals, go play CYCLOOOOONE people

Also I find doing 360's is much easier with a d-pad than with a stick once you get the motion down.

Speaking of Good, what's the tier list for this game???!? I wan to win Daigo Wong at char select.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 25, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah I have tried and failed twice on level 30 for Zangief survival normal. I thought he was the guy that I wanted to learn street fighter with but I am finding even just playing casual matches that anyone with common sense just keeps me at range. I cannot close down on the enemy well enough to inflict enough damage. As the round goes on I get more frustrated and take stupid risks and am quickly punished. Maybe I need to pick a more generic fighter to get some of the basic stuff down with.
Zangief is a completely different playstyle from the rest of the cast - You need immense patience to succeed with him. He is fun and good but try varying it up with other characters when you're starting out, you'll learn more about the game and also have more fun.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

The Fighting Commander 4 is the one you want.
I want this thing as well, but will the PS4 one work on PC as well?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

!Klams posted:

What are Zangief's BNB's? I really struggle with him to combo anything, and don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing 'most of the time' with him, I'm forever just playing footsies and whiffing SPDs.
From a jumping do e.g. jumping d.HP, d.MP, s.LK, lariat. You won't often land any combo at all in a match with him but when you do and don't have v-trigger or super, this is the best you can do AFAIK.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Laura actually seems good. Like she is garbage at everything except the one thing that really matters so far in this game which is footsies, frame traps, overall the mid range game. And she seems good at converting to big damage from midrange stuff. I haven't played her but she looks like a good close range brawler to me.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

For being a multiplayer game the multiplayer features sure suck rear end, it takes me between 1 to 10 minutes to find a ranked game, and battle lobbies would be great if I could EVER successfully join any of them.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zand posted:

the thing I think explains it is that Capcom is terrible. they made a bad game, and they have been making bad street fighter games for nearly 2 decades. they kicked off the death of SF with SF3 then punctuated the decline of the genre with capcom fighting evolution. they have been consistently terrible for years and years outside of the SF series as well. assuming they were rushed and this is the only possible explanation would be ignoring that they are actually just awful and have a history of being this way
I have an extremely hard time seeing how SF4 and onwards can in any way be called 'the death of SF'. I mean sure if you don't like the game you're not the only one but SF 4 is huge.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zand posted:

edit: idk how to help you with your Hard time seeing how sf4 is dead relative to sf2. sf2 pretty much singlehandedly saved arcades in the 90s. they redesigned the sega genesis controller to have 6 buttons just so they could provide a better experience for people wanting to play. both the genesis and the snes had SF bundled consoles that came with 2 controllers.
Uh what the hell is your definition of 'dead' here? That's like saying Star Wars is dead because Star Wars: The Force Awakens hasn't had as much cultural impact as A New Hope. No Star Wars movie is ever going to be as revolutionary or impactful as A New Hope for countless reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the movie, including that A New Hope was a groundbreaking movie by being the first to do so many things.

Similiarly SF4 was released in a different age from SF2, people now play at home instead of in the arcades which were on the decline, again for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality or popularity of certain arcade games (The Internet exists today and allows tolerable online multiplayer for everyone), and the fighting game scene was all but dead. SF4 singlehandedly resurrected an entire genre. I don't know if you were there in 2007 when the latest noteworthy fighting games to have come out were Melty Blood from '05 and mother loving Capcom Fighting Jam? I was, and it sucked. I remember digging up Breakers Revenge and playing in GGPO because there was just nothing new happening for several years. It was stagnation.

Then SF4 happened and all of a sudden the entire god drat genre is on fire and my friend who never even touched a fighting game is telling me how awesome it was to see Poongko's Seth in EVO. Suddenly game devs realised people will actually buy and play fighting games if they don't suck and if they have acceptable net code. Today you have millions of people playing punchman games online and watching EVO live compared to just a few years before when there were maybe a few hundreds online simultaneously playing aging games on GGPO and Kailerra and besides major tournaments and a few stagnating local scenes that. was. literally. it.

Given the time SF4 was released it literally could not have hit any more milestones than it did. It sold like crazy, it resurrected an entire genre by itself (yes. it did), it spawned SSF4, SSF4AE, USF4, it's still the #1 game being played in EVO and in all fighting game tournaments ever, it resurrected the fight stick market...

And you're complaining about what? That it didn't save arcades in an age where the internet exists? That the XBox doesn't come with a SF branded controller? That it didn't literally invent an entirely new genre like SF2? If your standpoint is that any game not as impactful as SF2 is 'dead' then there have not been a single fighting game that is not dead since then and never will be because that moment in time, when arcades existed and fighting games as a genre literally did not exist and had never been seen before, that moment has passed and will never happen again.

Please define 'dead' here, please explain what, when you first saw the trailer in 2007, what exactly at that time had you expected SF4 to accomplish that it in the end did not. Because I have a hard time seeing how SF4 considering the state of fighting games in 2008 was not the most amazing loving game it could possibly have been when it comes to sales, longevity, expectations, and resurrecting the entire fighting game genre.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 17, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zand posted:

im so glad capcom chose to resurrect the genre with a game as fantastic and excellent as sf4 all hail sf4 as the greatest fighter game ever because it Saved the Genre from Complete Devastation

while I don't deny that sf4 resurrected the genre and the scene, i wish it hadn't. i wish it was practically anything other than sf4 that caught on.

fgs were better off dead. id rather have good games again than games that feel like they have to be like SF4 to succeed. "they dont make em like they used to" frfr
I don't love the gameplay either! It's fun but at high level play it devolves into vortexes, 50/50 mixups, crouch techs and in general just set-plays essentially.

But you know what I love? Having people to play fighting games with. That we got a new MvC. That Skullgirls is even a thing even though I personally think the game sucks. That there are like 10 posts a day on shoryuken.com rather than 2-3 posts a year. That this thread exists and has people post 5 pages a day.

Try to separate the fact that you dislike SF4's gameplay from the fact that it resurrected the entire genre. You can complain about how boring it is but today you have hundreds of other fresh fighting games to play instead because of it. SF is very much alive, not dead. To be perfectly clear it is the sole reason we are sitting here arguing about punch-a-mans-in-the-toes-from-4-feet-distance games on the internet today. You can hate the game and still be appreciative of what it accomplished.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 17, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This game has had an absolutely horrible launch, but I am hoping content and sales will grow over time. SF games can be real long-runners but this shite of a start is of course not a great start.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

* Adds 3 frame input buffer to remove 1f links

* Adds strict height and timing restriction to BnB specials and divekicks with no buffers

wtc

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

But how would you rank the Street Fighters from most to least anime?
Skullomania is pretty anime

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jesus seeing the state of this thread makes me realize what a wet fart SFV is, I just realized I haven't even touched to game for a month and a half. I just seriously haven't been even thinking of the game. Didn't even realize until now. I don't think it's interest in FG's waning because been revisiting old neogeo vidiot fighters and am mad hype for the new KOF. SFV has really good core gameplay as well which makes it even more surprising. I guess capcom just really hosed this one up!!

Now that I think about it with SF4 I would routinely play through arcade mode with fight request on and have a blast. But with SFV i'm mostly dicking around in training mode, don't even touch survival, and practicing BnB's forever waiting for the next match just kind of... makes me want to do something else.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think clipping is a big issue but 8 frames of input lag and Zero Singleplayer Content are bigger issues.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zand posted:

haven't noticed this "weird pushback" at all.

Grab Gief vs e.g. Ken and try to combo i think its jumpin anything, c.MP c.LK Lariat. Which fails. Then try jumpin, c.MP s.LK Lariat. Well waddaya know, its a hit, because less pushback.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Biggz posted:

There's been some retarded poo poo posted in this thread recently but...

... what?
Well the player with 0 life left obviously has the major disadvantage that 'a light attack will kill me'. But in SFV you also have the sudden advantage of not taking chip damage and not taking grey damage! It's really odd - once you're at 0 health you no longer need to care about avoiding specials and can just block everything instead, which can let you play a much safer playstyle.

It's a really counter-intuitive and odd thing but in SFV the player at 0 health actually has an advantage in one area.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Biggz posted:

:bravo:

If that safer play style is such a boon why not always play like that then? :rolleyes:
:captainpop: sorry for your reading disability man

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Biggz posted:

Or let the timer run down.

I'm still trying to figure out how no chip kills gives the losing player a crazy powerful upper hand, but maybe that's cos I cant read.

My friend the answer is in the above posts. Things you might find useful when looking for it:
- The english language
- Fighting game knowledge
- Logic reasoning abilities
- Realization that a player may have an advantage in one area but an overall disadvantage

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

And honestly, it's not like Overwatch is perfect either, the game is, for instance, lacking floating damage number feed back or at least hit ding options making it at best difficult to tell if some tactics are having any effect at all.
That is a pretty minor quip compared to. Well. To SFV problems

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

zooted heh posted:

Why the gently caress do you need a scoreboard for a team based game?
Because it's important to be able to point out which obnoxious teen to worship/blame for winning/losing the game.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

overwatch is blizzard getting over itself for once and making a cool thing
Nah, they already been doing that for some time with Heroes if the Storm. This would be the second time (in a row) that they sit down and say "gently caress it gently caress lore gently caress X-craft games gently caress everything let's just Make A Great loving Game"

HOTS is particularly funny because it used to have an intricate story explaining why the Lich King is fighting three Scandinavian vikings over pirate coins, but they finally decided to simply throw all of that in the garbage in favour of "WEL COEM TO THE NEXUS, HERO. IT IS TIME TO DO BATLE"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Street Fighter V: Let's Talk About Good & Fun Games Instead

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So the Ibuki trailer contains a mouse cursor around the 48 second mark that's on screen for a few seconds. Now that i've seen it, it's literally the only thing I can remember about the trailer.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Guile theme goes with anything, Ken face goes with anyone.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Here's STRIP FIGHTER beating Daigo in SSF4 with Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjyWQHmo34k
Wow this makes me so sad because seeing this shows how SF4 is a better game than SFV in almost every way.

Characters are more varied in gameplay. The close and long-range game is more interesting. Backgrounds are so much better. Characters have more personality. There are more things to do at every part of the game, leading to much more room for experimentation and innovation. The focus attack is a much more interesting and play-making mechanic than the V-poo poo. Overall the game is just so much more exciting and fun, even though I know it partially devolves into vortexes and option selects at pro level play due to some balance issues. The balance is so much better as well, even Dan can win tournaments once in a lifetime whereas I could never ever see Fang in his current form accomplish much of anything.

Besides incremental improvements like input buffers and combatting option selects, literally the only thing SFV is better at is the footsies-range game. Or well, I guess, Footsies in general. It's like someone decided that neutral-range footsies are the most exciting part of playing Street Fighter (which to be honest, it is a very major part of it) and designed the game to force out that meta-game in favour over everything else.

EDIT: Also major LOL at someone landing a raw lv3 focus on daigo haha. That was sick.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 30, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

ahahahahaha i loving love this thread
Opinions are like butts: they post poo poo everywhere

No but seriously, SFV is soooo loving duuuuull, at least when I played or watched SF4 exciting things constantly happened at all levels of play and it was, at least, more fun than SFV.

EDIT: Like the recent Combo Breaker top 8. I ended up skipping much of it because it was just monotonous. I think another poster said the same thing earlier. The only noise from the crowd ever was when they were copying Karin's ho-ho-ho laugh because they had nothing else to do, that and cheers when someone won. And, like, i'm certain it's more fun to play than to watch. And the mechanics of SFV are better designed so it should be a better fighting game. And in many ways, it is. But I feel like somehow, somehow, that doesn't seem to have translated to a game that is actually more fun to play or to watch.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 30, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

cams posted:

this does not make the game bad, it means you don't like it.
If enough people dislike the game over things like this though, then eventually it becomes a bad game, right? A game being bad or good depends very much on if the players enjoy it or not.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

SFV has good matches every now and then. I keep telling people that the level of entertainment derived from a match has nothing to do with the game itself, but the circumstances, how close it is and how into it the crowd/commentators are. Of course, how much you care about the game itself is also a factor.
Nah. That plays a major part but the game plays a major part as well. DAIGO WITH THE FULL PARRY would not have happened in a game that did not have parries. And there was no particular hype just before that moment from the crowd (although ill give you that if it happened in a minor qualifying match it would probably not have become famous). That moment was 100% the game and the players.

I think the game absolutely plays a part in the excitement of the event. It can be the EVO2016 GF but not many will be getting excited if the players are playing SF Alpha 1.

I would personally get kind of excited tho

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

It doesn't.
It does, you're wrong, i'm sorry my friend. To follow your own example: Soccer is a much more popular sport than baseball largely because it's a more fun sport to watch. Shorter matches, more impactful moments (goals), and a more dynamic game with constant motion, with a clear understandable way of telling who is winning.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

In Training posted:

Then why isn't it more popular in America if its apparently objectively better
Who said it was objectively better?

I guess I should go compare these findings to the stream of the latest world finals of Checkers - oh wait there isn't one. Because most people don't watch or play this ancient well-known game on a regular basis. There are much more available streams and competitions on Chess and Go though. Hmm, I wonder why.....

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 31, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

quote:

point is don't be the stupid idiot on twitch chat sayin' mkx isn't hype look at this fake hype when people are making noise because you're just a stupid idiot if you do so
And how about if it's the same type of crowd, the same type of tournament, the same type of setting, the same type of culture, and literally the exact same players, but a different game?

I don't think i'm the only person who gets bored of SFV matches already. And there have been several tournaments, with the same stakes, the same attention, and the same players as in SF4. And, in my opinion, taking the matches and the talk and the crowd and all other surrounding things into account, the same SF4 tournaments were exciting, while the same SFV tournaments have been fairly dull. Literally the only variable that has changed is the game being played. Or can you point out what else it is that changed, that I have missed, that for some reason is causing the excitement levels to be overall lower when watching SFV compared to watching SF4? Because I can't find any other significant changed variable than The Game.

I guess we'll see how exciting EVO SFV turns out to be. Maybe the game needs a bit more time to evolve and EVO will have an amazing SFV tourney full of memorable moments. But, maybe we can both agree, that if EVO SFV rolls by, and there wasn't really much excitement on the SFV end as there have been on SF4 end previous years, then we can agree that SFV just doesn't seem to be as exciting of a game as SF4 was? Would that be a strain of logic you can get behind.

The only other option would be people just getting tired of SF in general. But I have a hard time buying that considering how much hype was surrounding the SFV launch, and people haven't stopped playing ST/3s.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 31, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

That's because you don't give a gently caress about SFV as a game.
I totally do though, that's the issue. Like, i've been looking forward to it, put considerable hours into it, and want to love it. But the difference with this game is the excitement just isn't happening.

I'll try to elaborate but i'm having a hard time putting this into words:

I think a major part of the issue with the game is, to me, it feels like they've taken a lot of design decisions with SFV that make it have much less intensity, less memorable moments, and the game kind of just spreads out into a samey stream. Like, a major example is no chip-damage kills, but there's a lot of other things as well, that I have a hard time putting my finger on. There's other people saying it feels like a lot of characters play the same way. And there's that quote by, was it Infiltration, saying basically if you removed the player names from the matches, you'd have no idea who's playing. And a lot of matches and situations just kind of feel similar. It's hard to put a finger on exactly why, but if I was going to try, my first thought is that there's not many moments that 'stick out' and I kind of feel like the gameplay is very constrained and leaves less room for players to innovate and come up with new playstyles for characters. But, it's something that can totally change in a few months as the game evolves.

So in summary, with the current state of the game, there's an element of excitement that so far seems to be lacking from SFV due to how it's designed and balanced. And it's something that I think comes down to stuff that is "fixable" with smaller tweaks to characters and game mechanics. But that's how I feel about the current state of the game.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 31, 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

I mean, wanting to give a gently caress about it doesn't mean you do, it's basically what you said yourself. You wanna like it, but you can't, and that's fine. I wanted to like it, then beta 2 and 3 kinda drained my enthusiasm. That kind of stuff kinda seeps into your enjoyment of it as an spectator, which is only natural. Most of the issues you have are the issues I have with it too - it's bland and samey - so don't think I'm arguing in favor of SFV. But there can still be good matches and hype moments in the game even for us, I feel.
Right, agreed. And hoping the game evolves to be good and more exciting. Either through players evolving the game or through updates.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

People are unironically saying they liked SF4 better but I swear half the time I played SF4 the entire playerbase hated it and played it because it was popular
Anything gets stale after six years. I'm with Diaz in that there are things in SF4 that were dumb and got repetitive but overall I currently enjoy 6 years old SF4 more than 3 months old SFV.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Nodoze posted:

I really hate how much jumping is in this game compared to SF4
This is odd considering how most characters can stuff anything air with lp or lk.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dias posted:

Little reward, doesn't really stop crossups, and the reward for hitting a jump-in is massive.
Aah yes and also 8ffff. Makes sense

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

On a more positive note, this is some drat good street fighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N71pNmep8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

In Training posted:

For me it was Beta 2 -> 3 because even though the actual quality drop was 1 -> 2 I was hoping it was a temporary change but when things got even more anemic in the 3rd round I realized what game I had bought

Out of interest what was changed between beta 1 and 2? Just wondering why so many seem to think beta 1 was the best.