Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Lupe is shinakuma666, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Some Vega stuff I've labbed:

All of his fierce punches force stand on crouchers. But only claw on Toward Fierce can cause a crush counter, but I haven't found any useful followups for that.

Claw off allows for you to cancel his standing and crouching fierce into specials.

With the claw on, you can link from a counterhit low forward into a standing fierce. From there, you have every combo option available from a raw standing fierce. Additionally, low forward is so plus on block that it's not a bad frame trap setup to go for the standing fierce anyhow. However, the low forward has to be fairly deep, like knee deep. You don't have to be point blank, but the tip of your foot isn't going to allow that link to work.

As long as your opponent isn't in the corner, blocked v-trigger into blocked super seems to be an unavoidable 5% chip kill.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

PC you can hit Alt-F4 super fast, console you might be sitting on the couch 10 feet away from the power cable.

alt-f4 doesn't work for me with SFV.

edit: good stuff with that reversal roll info.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Timely Howard posted:

so i just played itazan

standing mp beats literally every single one of claw's pokes, huh?

cool

Replace your pokes with something a bit... bigger.

let me clear this up a bit. He knows that his st. mp is going to out prioritize your lights if they connect at the same time and the boxes on his button is better than most of the cast's. He also knows the frame data and spacing better than most of the people on the planet. They only way you're going to keep him honest is to set him up for a punishing crush counter and force him to use the rest of his toolset.

You'll still lose, because it's itazan, but at least you'll actually make him play the game.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 22, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

no no, i meant all of claw's fierce buttons, as well

you can't play the max range hp game either. it's a free mp x birdie headbutt thing on reaction because of how slow the move is - he can just punch the claw.

have you tried blocking?

It's minus 1 on block, and has a 7 frame start up. If you find a birdie that likes to spam st. mp, you can just do a standing fierce (claw on only) and it should eat it. No crush counter, though. If you don't think you have the range, a stand mk will beat it by one frame on block. Both options are very safe if Birdie blocks them. Whiffing the stand hp could lead to a bad time, so be careful.

spend some time in the lab and figure things out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

god that empty quote makes me seem like a jerk.

Anyhow, I just did some labbing and all of those work as described. V-skill (not reversal or trigger) is also a reasonable option when done with reversal timing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

JackDarko posted:

Any Vega players here? I know I don't have a good wake up and that I pretty much just have to make the read just wondering if I could get some nuanced advice. Also what do I use Barcelona attack for? Wake up shenanigans?

Raw barcelona attack is a good way to identify yourself as a bad player. However, if you do an immediate EX barcelona on a knockdown in the corner, you put your opponent in some very, very difficult to avoid shenanigans that most anti air options do not work against. This includes your typical invulnerable shoryu type reversals.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Microwaves Mom posted:

Vega's storymode costume is ugly as gently caress so dodged a bullet there.

If they ever release the classic costume in the Hyper Fighting colors my wallet will be a victim.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Training mode.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Microwaves Mom posted:

Classic? Is that the shirtless one?

Yaaaaa!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

yeah i know i was just narrating my ranked matches as i played them. i'll obviously need to learn the finer points of the matchup at some point

after work i'll look at itazan's profile and see if there are any videos of him losing to claw that i can steal tech from

if there aren't i'll just complain that it's a 10-0 matchup and counterpick lol

Birdie doesn't seem to be a particularly bad matchup for Vega.

Itazan vs. most people is 10-0, though. I guess your counterpick is to become kazunoku?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dias posted:

Good thing I wanted to play XCom tonight!

Vigilo Confido!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

What's tacticool Taskmaster doing here?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

no tacticool taskmaster, don't let the cat close up your hoodie, now you'll never learn new fighting techniques!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pomp posted:

fund my kickstarter its a deconstruction i'll put some hitboxes on a black void 50 bucks gets the the exclusive hitsphere character

make a game where all of the characters are made of spheres and call it Ballz2: Testiclez and you have a deal.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I haven't played a fighter game more than super casually since Street Fighter II was big in arcades and on SNES. I am very very very bad at these games. If I buy this and lose enough times, can I reasonably expect to eventually find opponents equally as bad? I have a PS4 controller that I use for both my PS4 and my PC. Does one system have an advantage over the other?

Depends on your PC. If you have a solid gaming PC, then you will see better graphical performance than PS4. If you have a potato, then a PS4 will do better.

Also, there are so many bads online.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep, the v-reversals are strike immune, but they are not throw immune.

Even Vega's??

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hard mode survival is a 39-1 matchup in my favor :smith:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

giogadi posted:

Sorry to cross-post from another thread, but I'm really curious:

Did I see Zangief jump in, then Laura DP to anti-air, and then Zangief air-throw the DP? Did I see that correctly?

It's like Zangief's ultra 2, only he gets to do it three times per full bar.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Except for a handful of players, the Euro scene must be trash, because Gootecks made it into top 8.

Anyhow, y'all.

Y'ALL.

Getting Vega's cr. mk>cr.mp>v-trigger>super feels so good.

Y'ALL.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arzachel posted:

So Laura's the worst character in the game huh

The frametrap/command throw mixup is real.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

anyone want to run sets against a bad ryu send a request to cfn rocsfeather

sfv doesn't let me input a space in a name search

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

what space?

sorry i didn't join right away i was in a match. resend the request if you are still online. it won't let me send one to you for some reason. maybe you logged off?

got it now i thought one of the i's in your name was an l

A few pointers: Practice your combos in training. Almost every opportunity you got you dropped it.

Jump back mp when someone does a raw wall dive. I had to force myself to not spam it over and over because you obviously didn't know how to deal with it.

Practice anti-airing.

Learn which of your moves are minus on block, that way you know when your "turn" is over and it's time to block or maneuver.

You were too predictable with your buttons/hadoukens. Vega's v-skill is terrible, and I was landing it way too often.

Evil Canadian posted:

Input leniency wants to read me walking forward with Vega then ex roll to react to fireball as ex walldive every time :argh:

Although outside of that situation, man ex roll has some reach that is not visually apparent. The first hit can connect way before Vega is physically there.
When you're walking forward, you need to do a HCF in order to not get the DP motion to come out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

holy poo poo LI Joe.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh I know its the same trick from sf4, only issue is if you are too fast it still reads as dp.

If you have the meter, Vega's super is also fireball invulnerable, and not likely to get a false dp input.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep very true. Way I play Vega though every single hit confirm leads to ex walldive/izuna so I rarely have bar for super.

My hit confirms almost always go to meterless stuff. If I can dominate in footsies ( a big if, but at least Vega has the tools for that) I find that I can afford to store meter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Well my philosophy there is hes quite a low damage character (unless you get the optimal big punishes which is higher than most), so take your damage when you have it. Even just a babby hit confirm cr.lk, cr.lp ex dive is almost 200 damage, vs barely over 100 if you just go lk roll.

people actually let you hit them standing?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

Also is there some kind of glossary or something for the terms people use? I'd love to be able to understand the other half of this thread.

BNB= bread and butter, shorthand for a staple, relatively easy combo that you should be able to perform 95% of the time you get an opportunity to do so. After learning what your buttons do, and how to anti-air, BNB combos should be one of the very first things you learn about a character.

e;fb

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

that http://sfv.fightinggame.community/ site owns for starkly exposing what your worst matchups are on a personal level, apparently i've only won 20% of my vs. necali matches

The sfv.fightinggame.community/ matchup vs. 502 Gateway is brutal.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

General Morden posted:

funk engine is broken

Please don't post pictures of my cat.

or my tuba.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ag Bengip posted:

Please, Ronnie is clearly a Smash player

As if. He's a white Justin Wong. He's obviously a Marvel player.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

General Morden posted:

urien's aegis reflector only hits once and then disappears

it also disappears if you hit it once

keeping in line with sf5 balance changes

I could just as easily see it being his V trigger and being mechanically similar to the 3s reflector.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, he basically does.

I think Aegis Reflector will be Urien's V-Trigger.

Guile's should be the handcuffs. :getin:

And his v-skill should be putting on shades. A real fighter only needs two moves to win.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dracula Factory posted:

Man I love Gief but I feel like I can never win against a patient keepaway Chun-Li, you can only flex through so many fireballs. Does Chun have some sort of weakness in this matchup that I'm too bad to see?

Her wakeup isn't great? Sure, it's not Vega or Bison bad and yeah, you're fighting an uphill battle to get in, but once you get that knock down, things are looking pretty good for Zangief.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I thought that it was Bison that was way better than everyone else???

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I just lost on stage 49. FML.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I asked before, but there was update news and it got lost. are there any other projectiles that ryu cant tatsu through besides sim and fangs arcing ones?

I think Vega's rose is another one that can't be tatsu dodged? (why would you though)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lamentable dustman posted:

Speaking of colors, thanks whoever suggested getting the trainer, now my Bison gots some sweet boots. Hopefully I don't get banned :ohdear:

Which one won't put malware on my machine or try to charge me money for it?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vega's outfit isn't already sexy? Those pants couldn't get much tighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RanKizama posted:

Holy poo poo that is actually pretty terrible. She looks like an extra from a bad 1980's kung-fu movie.

The catsuit was at least passable.

Odd, I was thinking she was looking like an extra from Sid & Nancy.