Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ahrehrejhejajaj
Aug 26, 2016

by zen death robot
my brother got chased down by bikers and beaten with a chain and a pipe

he told u fags about SA (i think u already knew)

welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
OP, it is time to let your daughter go. It's cruel to make her carry on

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
hey op you're a good guy. when you're in a strange place making medical decisions 99% of the population could never comprehend (or you rely on the rarity of it to ease the pain of making decisions other ppl might make differently even if it might be similar) everything is upside down. i know enough to know your situation is vastly different from mine and also that ur tough and good and trying so fuckin hard. i think she would be proud of u.

please have a therapist lined up. when u are alone its gonna get weird in ur brain. if u don't have a pet maybe get one. it will clusterfuck ur situation but u need a friend who doesnt need anything beyond a) insurance or pay (therapist) or b) food and litter cleaning/walkies (pet)

i say this bc being alone after any trauma is weird and bc being a caretaker w/o emotional sustenance is untenable. gbs & friends/family cannot always hear what you need to say in the way you need it heard. as someone rooting like hell for this to go as wildly miraculously best as it can: the better u take care of u, the better miracles can happen

it seems like the last priority. "where is the time when they need me every second i'm not running myself into the ground already". take the hour. to talk to a person who can hear all of it, or to walk a pup who can hear all of it and look at you and lick the tears off yr face. you deserve and need it and it will make you better for them.

ahrehrejhejajaj
Aug 26, 2016

by zen death robot
stfu k thx bye

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
good luck man. you are an inspiring individual.

have you tried showing her an anime? i read some papers from the AMA and the results are encouraging...

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

holy poo poo thanks that was a hosed up edit, it originally said "a mumble I poorly understood" which was bad so I changed it to something i felt better about. clearly unsuccessfully, i mean.

"a mumble I poorly understood"
That's Nickelback. Probably means something to you.

ahrehrejhejajaj
Aug 26, 2016

by zen death robot
i had a 4 some with girls that made fun of me when i said i didnt like anime

put that in ur thing a ma jigga nigga

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Dare is just providing contrast by demonstrating what its like to survive severe brain injury when the patient has no one who loves or cares for them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

You know, as I was reading the latest updates to this thread something occurred to me. Everyone is talking about how incredible you are doing this, but I gotta say, there is someone even more incredible.

Your drat wife is incredible. She is the one doing the hardest work, you are just(lol, just) there supporting her and doing what you can to make sure she has the tools and surroundings she needs to do it.

Everyone should be knocking one back for Kimmy, shes doing something pretty amazing herself.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Like she has a choice in the matter

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

What's really inspiring after reading everything is how she continues to work towards full locomotion. Hearing you describe her going from subtle responses to hiccups and giggling to full on laughing and now attempting syllables is absolutely touching and inspiring. You really are an incredible father and husband. :downsbravo:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

that's some badass poo poo Roki B

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Roki B posted:

You're right.

We didn't know enough to make this sort of decision. "If it's reasonable that I come back and not be a burden" isn't a worthwhile sentence in this reality. It blows.

She held her head up for an hour today in her wheelchair. Another day, another first.

I get you don't agree with my decisions, and I'd rather I be done making decisions too, if it's means anything.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You're right.

We didn't know enough to make this sort of decision. "If it's reasonable that I come back and not be a burden" isn't a worthwhile sentence in this reality. It blows.

She held her head up for an hour today in her wheelchair. Another day, another first.

I get you don't agree with my decisions, and I'd rather I be done making decisions too, if it's means anything.

what was/is your wife's favorite nickelback song? you must stay strong in times like these.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So have the medical professionals unambiguously said to you that she's improving a lot?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Yes and honestly who cares because a medical professional is basically an employee that either uses pubmed or doesn't. Neither option is all that meaningful.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Real talk

"BUT they have experience"

Yes but the last neurologist I talked to literally said that a few months ago was the best I would see and to expect decline.

"BUT it's their job they are professionals"

Yes and overworked with no time to dick with nuances of unusual situations much less put the time I have into figuring out what is wrong

"BUT literally you have almost no hope of doing better"

True no matter how MD House you wanna approach a thing as, and he dedicated a ton of time to individuals and that ain't how medical professionals are allowed to operate

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://futurism.com/world-first-ultrasound-used-to-jump-start-patients-brain-out-of-a-coma/

brain poo poo is cool and wacky

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yes and honestly who cares because a medical professional is basically an employee that either uses pubmed or doesn't. Neither option is all that meaningful.

Oh great! Best of luck to you

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
While I sympathize, the fact that doctors can be wrong doesn't mean they aren't any more qualified than a random guy with access to pubmed. Doctors aren't infallible and when he said to expect decline, he probably wasn't saying decline is guaranteed, that was just his best guess. Medicine is just like any science. People without the degrees can be and sometimes are right when the professionals are wrong, and as you say when you get paid to do it you have rules to follow which can limit progress, but the rules exist for a reason.

Anyway by all means keep doing what you're doing, but don't discard every professional opinion just because they disagree with you. Not saying you have to follow their advice, but don't just dismiss it.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
With brain injury, they literally tell you "Welp wait and see, who knows! It's a mystery, that nutty brain."

So, to clarify, speaking in the framework of my situation . . .

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Any updates op? Give us some good news you fuckman!

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Kicked left leg for the first time, having laryngospasms for some reason but regained the ability to swallow reliably (going to have it tested to see how weak it is/isn't), lifted her to a sitting position and she ever so slowly picked up her head and some other assorted improvements.

Still can't communicate, I think she's trying though. Need that neuro appt so I can get fmri scans and find out what's going on with that. She still has facial spasms to a degree when she responds to you and has sucked her bottom lip constantly and to the point her literally perfect teeth ain't literally perfect anymore.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Weirdest thing. Instances of jerky decerebrate posturing are being replaced with a smooth decorticate posturing. Can't find much on why that would be, guessing healing, maybe the neuro will have a comment on it. Both happen increasingly rarely either way.

Vocalizing happens a few times an hour (still seemingly results of these new laryngospasms 50% of the time) and swallowing is getting habitual and stronger.

She moves much less with her spasms greatly eliminated, but what does move seems more deliberate and without involving all her limbs. Laughter finally occurs as much as crying, and neither seems completely out of the blue . . . But come on how subjective is that assessment going to be. Best I can say objectively is neither seems to happen without conversation being involved.

Asking her to talk gets lip movements and facial focused light myoclonus. Asking to move arms or legs may get very light bilateral movement, but the appropriate limbs.

This is the slowest and most grueling process physically and emotionally.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is it definitely improving over the past couple weeks? At the same rate or plateauing?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Not to question your observations but I am. I'm eager to hear what a professionals take on her condition is.

Everything about this reminds me of Schiavo.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
op gradually going insane is the best part of keeping up with this

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

square dance by Eminem posted:

Crazy insane or insane crazy? When I say Hussein, you say Shady
My views ain't changed, still inhumane, wait,
Arraigned two days late, the date's today, hang me!
🙊

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Blacktoll posted:

Not to question your observations but I am. I'm eager to hear what a professionals take on her condition is.

You and me both, I mean at least the month over month fmri comparisons.

Nothing about this is remotely close to Schiavo, that's fairly clear just from the ct scans I posted vs Teri's cavernous empty noggin.

Left: normal
Right: Schiavo

Edit: Just wanna add that being skeptical and sorta meh about the things I'm saying is pretty ok. Me too. I'm doing my best to just lay out things as they are, and it's almost more depressing that myself and a ton of other people are like "Whoa. Optimist."

It's terribly important for that to happen though. A person's life is in the mix, they deserve more than grossly misidentified love holding their body hostage if that's the case.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 5, 2016

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Blacktoll posted:

Schiavo couldn't swallow though which is why even though when they pulled the plug on her and some people broke in to try to give her water by mouth so she wouldn't die of thirst, they failed because she was a goddamned vegetable and died anyway.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Decerebrate posturing is the worst sign a person can show when there is a neurological response. It's a step up from brain death. Decorticate is a little above decerebrate, but not by much. It's posturing, and is driven by the brain stem. It's still posturing, even if it is the lesser of two evils.

Trying to compare this to Terri Schiavo is not worthwhile, so everyone please stop. Too many different things have happened in both people's lives to make a comparison of CTs legitimate. When was that CT of Terri taken? When was the last CT of your wife taken? Your wife is no longer "normal," so why bother comparing Terri's CT to a normal one, with no medical training? There is nobody who could give a factual, physical assessment of either of them, at any point in time. Trying to make comparisons is pointless, and is causing more harm than good.

The most important question is: What would she want? If she were here, intact, no physical or cognitive barriers, and saw herself as she is now... Is this what she would want? I know there is a timeline that is already in place. OP, I know you are doing the best you can given the circumstances. You are being an amazing husband and you are doing an incredible job. She is receiving the best care she could possibly get. She is doing the best she can. But when it comes to that year mark, consider what she would want. It's deeply personal, nobody, and no other person's experience, should influence that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
"look, i'm not SAYING you should give up, but maybe CONSIDER giving up??"

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Arrhythmia posted:

"look, i'm not SAYING you should give up, but maybe CONSIDER giving up??"

Not "giving up." It's honoring her wishes.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's still a fair comparison.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This has probably been asked before and I feel weird asking anyways but here it goes.

How does she respond when you say I love you, when you squeeze her hand, or show other displays of affection?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Koivunen posted:

I haven't read much of the thread but I have a sweet keyboard.

Hey that's cool.

Anyway, keep in mind that cerebral palsy is far removed from brain death and features both postures. Anoxic brain injury is how kids get palsied.

No ok look that quote edit I did was mean and uncalled for, but man, it would be super if everyone would stop reminding me (like I forget?) that I gotta choice to make. It's like nails on a chalkboard. Seriously, I get it and more than I'd like, and also I don't have to bathe in it 24/7 to grasp the basics.

I ain't gonna pretend I didn't get bent and backpedal to remove my comment even acknowledging that tho, it's silly to act like I never got touchy.

RandomPauI posted:

How does she respond when you say I love you, when you squeeze her hand, or show other displays of affection?

In order: Mostly she'll cry or snort, fail to do it and it's mostly platonic affection at this point so there isn't much to respond to on that front.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 6, 2016

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
also OP i'd like to tell you that i, too, am made very agitated by your thread title.

makes my hair stand up on end.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

also OP i'd like to tell you that i, too, am made very agitated by your thread title.

makes my hair stand up on end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Keep it together op

• Locked thread