Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

My Q-Face posted:

W&W is for encouragement, GBS is for laughing at the assholes taking up the squat racks for over an hour, one pair doing squats with ten minutes of "prep" in between, and the other "deadlifting" 480 lbs with wrist straps and his legs so wide apart that his legs had about three inches of motion and 90% of his set was him leaning way back and thrusting his dick over the bar.

That was me, those are called sumo deadlifts

don't hate bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Yeah, well be careful. Don't circumcise yourself on the knurling!

I'm glad I missed out on the bulk of the New Years resolutioners, but since I've been back I've seen an increase in gym-douches; bane masks, beats headphones, unnecessary grunting and slamming, dropping weights, quarter-reppers, people doing funky stupid poo poo on the smith machine. I even had one guy come up to me while I was squatting to ask if he could have next, only to come back a few minutes later to see him curling.

In the last two weeks, I've only seen about 3-4 regular lifters I recognize from last summer.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
My gym has been closed since January, as the health inspection guys repeatedly found that the air had twice the maximum allowed amount of CO2. Yes, ventilation was that bad. :( They promised that it will be fixed by the end of March, but this sucks.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
Goons talking about fitness?

??

????

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Is this the new thread for posting pictures of hot swole women? I miss that thread.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

lilljonas posted:

My gym has been closed since January, as the health inspection guys repeatedly found that the air had twice the maximum allowed amount of CO2. Yes, ventilation was that bad. :( They promised that it will be fixed by the end of March, but this sucks.

Sounds like a good way to increase your breathing volume actually. Make the body work for that O2, it's like putting weights on your metabolic system.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

The Skeleton King posted:

Is this the new thread for posting pictures of hot swole women? I miss that thread.

There are no rules against it. All swoleness is welcome in the swole thread

just like dont overdo it bro

or do overdo it, thats also ok

the swolethread is v accepting

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

notZaar posted:

my forearms still look like tapered tubes.

more bro science

now is the time to make sure you're doing cool things that involve holding onto a weight for a long time like...

db rows!
high-rep deadlifts!
farmers carries!
kettbell swings for days!

do these things so your forearms can be awesome and your other stuff can be awesome too

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Question: I mentioned before that I can't do deadlifts at home. Instead I've been doing good mornings before 5×5-8 barbell rows. Does this even make sense, or is there something else that I should do instead - some kind of clean, maybe? Should I be 5x5ing the good mornings as well or is this decidedly unsafe?

(clean and snatch rip) RDLs, all kinds of power cleans, clean and/or snatch high pulls, higher reps on everything (dimel deadlifts?)

5x5 is fine on good mornings if they're quality

do you have dumbbells? maybe you can do swings with them

crazy idea: maybe buy a band($20), stand on it and do deadlifts/RDLs/whatever with it attached to the bar

maybe figure out how to jam your feet under a couch and do some sort of glute-ham raise?

GO loving NUTS

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does 5x10 count as high rep?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

Does 5x10 count as high rep?

http://www.strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

All rep ranges matter

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5OQcIHKOF0

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Remember kids. Jesus hates bricks, baseball bats, and DRUGS! Stay clean!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the number of bros wearing backwards baseball caps with beats headphones at my gym has risen to concerning levels lately.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Basically everybody I see at the gym with headphones are wearing beats, but on the plus side I never hear their lovely music leaking out like the maniacs who wear in ear monitors with the volume turned up to max.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
thats me

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Dum Cumpster posted:

All rep ranges matter

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I wanna put together a power cage in my basement. All the ones on craigslist and amazon look like overpriced poo poo so I think I'm gonna make one out of wood. Good idea?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Only if you over engineer the hell out of it. I wouldn't use anything thinner than a 4*6.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

notZaar posted:

Only if you over engineer the hell out of it. I wouldn't use anything thinner than a 4*6.

Well I am an engineer. Prepare for groverrack.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

el nino is kicking my loving rear end i just want to ride my bike buts there are 14 loving days of rain forecast

time for box jumps, core, and sauna i guess

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

My Q-Face posted:

W&W is for encouragement, GBS is for laughing at the assholes taking up the squat racks for over an hour, one pair doing squats with ten minutes of "prep" in between, and the other "deadlifting" 480 lbs with wrist straps and his legs so wide apart that his legs had about three inches of motion and 90% of his set was him leaning way back and thrusting his dick over the bar.

What's wrong with wrist straps? I use them for deadlifting and shrugs so my baby hands don't hold me back

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
In that case let's see a full ANSYS breakdown of your drawing including the harmonic modes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Hatebag posted:

I wanna put together a power cage in my basement. All the ones on craigslist and amazon look like overpriced poo poo so I think I'm gonna make one out of wood. Good idea?

You can get one new for like 100 on Amazon.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

hey bois ill be in the sauna ;)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

notZaar posted:

In that case let's see a full ANSYS breakdown of your drawing including the harmonic modes.

All in due time.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

bamhand posted:

You can get one new for like 100 on Amazon.

Yeah and they look like garbage. Cheap poo poo is overpriced cuz it breaks.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
How do I deadlift. I just started Starting Strength and I can tell it's going to destroy me when it starts getting heavier. That and the Overhead Press.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

How do I deadlift. I just started Starting Strength and I can tell it's going to destroy me when it starts getting heavier. That and the Overhead Press.

Did you read the book? It explains every lift pretty thoroughly.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Hatebag posted:

Yeah and they look like garbage. Cheap poo poo is overpriced cuz it breaks.

I got one for 200 about 5 years ago and it's held up fine. Had some paint come off the rails but that's about it. I mean maybe you're super strong and need a really good set up but my cheapo cage has been fine for squatting 350.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Aralan posted:

What's wrong with wrist straps? I use them for deadlifting and shrugs so my baby hands don't hold me back

Nothing, if you're using them with significant weight and range of motion. If you're using them with less than 300 pounds, or using them like this guy, to move the bar ~6 inches before arching your back like a bow, then good luck to you!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

hello i would like to join the lovely knee club. my knee feels weird again. i've had this poo poo for like 5 months now. first i took a 1 month break from gym and it didn't heal, then i took 2 months and it didn't heal, and now it's been 1 month again and apparently shoveling snow 4 days in a row was enough to stress it to the point of soreness again. i don't know what's up with it, i'm 22 so it's not like it can be just falling apart

i'm going to wager that the doctor that said it's just a runner's knee didn't know what he was talking about. i have a hard time believing that a runner's knee would be such a bitch about healing. welp time to sit still for 3 months and hope that it maybe decides to heal. i'm probably never going to do running as cardio again, that's for sure

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
It has been 5 months? Go see another doctor instead of asking the internet what to do about it

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

bamhand posted:

I got one for 200 about 5 years ago and it's held up fine. Had some paint come off the rails but that's about it. I mean maybe you're super strong and need a really good set up but my cheapo cage has been fine for squatting 350.

Look pal I'm not sure what your deal is here but I want a god damned wooden squat rack and no one is gonna stand in my way!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Minorkos posted:

hello i would like to join the lovely knee club. my knee feels weird again. i've had this poo poo for like 5 months now. first i took a 1 month break from gym and it didn't heal, then i took 2 months and it didn't heal, and now it's been 1 month again and apparently shoveling snow 4 days in a row was enough to stress it to the point of soreness again. i don't know what's up with it, i'm 22 so it's not like it can be just falling apart

i'm going to wager that the doctor that said it's just a runner's knee didn't know what he was talking about. i have a hard time believing that a runner's knee would be such a bitch about healing. welp time to sit still for 3 months and hope that it maybe decides to heal. i'm probably never going to do running as cardio again, that's for sure

Where does it hurt? Also

Pawl posted:

It has been 5 months? Go see a sports medicine doctor instead of asking the internet what to do about it

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Pawl posted:

It has been 5 months? Go see another doctor instead of asking the internet what to do about it

i'm going to. 5 months sounds bad, but it's more that i've been doing physical work this whole time, and also been impatient about letting it heal. i didn't really stop going to gym until in november, and then after letting it heal for a month i tried to do some squats and i started feeling the familiar stirring thing in my knee again on the second week. then in february i think i tried to do rack pulls and the same thing happened.

it doesn't really feel like pain, it's more like a feeling of stirring and pressure that appears day or two after the straining the knee, which is why it's kind of difficult for me to tell if i'm actually putting too much stress on it. the medical professional(s) i've talked to about it basically just said "put some ice on it i guess and here's some cream for the pain" and when i tell them it doesn't really feel like pain, they're like " :confused: just put it on anyway." i guess it's the consequence of living in a country with free healthcare, doctors don't really give a poo poo unless they have to

Dum Cumpster posted:

Where does it hurt? Also

the "pain" is static and appears under the kneecap. i'm guessing i actually have the patellofemoral kneecap pain syndrome if i had to make a guess as a non-doctor. edit: or i guess runner's knee can apparently be multiple things, and this is one of them.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 1, 2016

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I had some one one weird tricks depending on where it was hurting but I don't know about that one, sorry. Hope you get it sorted out.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Hatebag posted:

Look pal I'm not sure what your deal is here but I want a god damned wooden squat rack and no one is gonna stand in my way!

You should make the weight set out of wood too!

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
I've been looking on Youtube for proper ways to curl. I can only do 45lbs dumbbells, but this guy is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl1XrHeG1WI

How can I become strong like this guy? Please. I want to be pro. Also, id like to be able to make a face like his, preferably without an iron maiden og a baseball bat up my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
looks like someone has been watching Cali Muscle videos on youtube

• Locked thread