Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My hands hurt from deadlift friction. How do I stop being a wuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

notZaar posted:

Are you placing the bar inside the fold between your palm and fingers? If you hold it too high in your hand you will rub against the folded skin and possibly tear your calluses.

I get some pain in the joint between my palm and finger if I place the bar right in the fold. Kind of like if you jam your finger but on the joint closest to your palm instead of the one closest to the fingertip. Think I'm gonna try some hooks later this week.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 24, 2016

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's only in one hand and it's a dull pain that goesn't go away even after a few days. Pretty sure it's not supposed to be happening!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

notZaar posted:

Rowing is fun but the problem is you need 7 other people and a boat to do it. Still it was a blast in high school.

Same. Erging is the goddamned worst though. You could tell it was 2k test day when people were huddled around trash cans vomiting.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Hatebag posted:

I wanna put together a power cage in my basement. All the ones on craigslist and amazon look like overpriced poo poo so I think I'm gonna make one out of wood. Good idea?

You can get one new for like 100 on Amazon.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Hatebag posted:

Yeah and they look like garbage. Cheap poo poo is overpriced cuz it breaks.

I got one for 200 about 5 years ago and it's held up fine. Had some paint come off the rails but that's about it. I mean maybe you're super strong and need a really good set up but my cheapo cage has been fine for squatting 350.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Did he suck too many or not enough BBCs?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I wear a belt for OHP.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Pulled 3 reps at 430 last night and then topped it off with 235lb 5x10 squats. My legs no longer exist.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Uxzuigal posted:

Why do they even make 2.5s... That is the real question.

Because going up in increments of 10 is really hard? I own a pair of 1.25's.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are you saying a normal human being can just go up 10 pounds on overhead press every time they increase their weight?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Skim Milk posted:

if you can do a lot of weight with OHP it's probably fine but there's probably a better way to increase the size and strength of those muscles than spending 50% of your training time squirming around under 95lbs #startingstrength

I spent about 15 minutes on OHP today and got up to 3 reps of 170. Is that good enough for your goon standards?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Set a squat PR tonight. Had a deadlift and OHP PR earlier this week. Glutes status blasted. Shoulders too.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wore I a pair of jeans I haven't worn in a couple months and they have mysteriously become skinny jeans.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Just eat whey, creatine and multivitamins exclusively. Scientists say there is no more optimal path to gains

You will starve to death on a 100% protein diet no matter how much you eat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

sassassin posted:

Question for the guys using straps for their tiny deadlifts:

Do they match your purse?

I started using hooks after I hit 4 plates because I'm a huge pussy. I find I can lift much easier with them. 5/5 would hook again.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wait, Crossfit is good?

http://espn.go.com/espnw/culture/th...FB&sf23278475=1

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

notZaar posted:

You're pretty much at exactly the point I was when I stopped doing 5x5. I had some success with 5/3/1 but the squat is a bitch. Try doing 5x10 squats with a manageable weight for a few weeks and see if it helps.

Can confirm squatting 5x10 is a good idea. Did that Tuesday and I'm still sore as heck today.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Still haven't recovered from 5x10 squats from Tuesday. Tried to squat today and my inner thighs felt like they were on fire. This where I need to get more roids right?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Squat 235x50 last week and I was sore for literally a week straight. I've been lifting or 3+ years too. Soreness never goes away.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It was 5x10. So my actual squat is only like 370. It's the supplemental part of 5/3/1.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

hey gym rats i already have some serious summer tan going on

it stops exactly and precisely where my shorts and jersey start

at the end of a season a few years ago a guy in the steam room commented that i looked like i was two different races

i like to keep my tan lines razor sharp

Start biking. Spandex will really help sharpen those lines for you.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

at this point its literally the only thing i do with most of my free time

i need to find a way to stop cycling and start playing ball so i can still be in the sun all day long except hit dingers and also drink a lot of beers

Do you have fingerless glove tan lines? Those were the most embarrassing for me.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are we talking about chugging male DNA at the gym?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Pulled a rep of 435 today for a PR. Then squat 240 for 5x10. I am slain.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SpeedyCow posted:

Cast PhoenixDown by eating steak and sleeping 10 hours. Or get a Megalixir aka Tren

How are your squats going on 8/6/3? It's PR week for me and I'm hoping to get 2-3 in at 370 on Friday.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SpeedyCow posted:

Did 300x8 Monday and I'm still feeling it. The extra volume is nice but I'm working through the doms you get whenever you increase it. I'm doing the "more squatting" variant so my main squats are Monday and I do up to 300x3 on tuesday/thursday and today I do an extra 335x1 set. I'm supposed to squat on Friday but I save my legs for deadlifts and add a couple of down sets for some extra DL volume.

Jesus do you squat every day you lift? I thank god for every day I don't have to do legs. And yeah high volume squats give me DOMS like nothing else.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SpeedyCow posted:

Chin ups for bi's, JO for tri's

I get to deadlift today :getin:

Same. GL deadlift bro.

notZaar posted:

What's a good way to get a lot of pump in your arms as a workout cap?

I did a 3 RM OHP, 5x10 bench and then 3x10 curls yesterday and my arms felt like they were going to explode.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

SpeedyCow posted:

Oh yea I'm also doing OHP today. Added a lot more volume in the last two weeks. Hoping it pays off coz I've stalled on it.

I found volume helped a lot with OHP.

Squat 3 reps of 370 today. Then 5x10 deadlift at 290. Holy poo poo my back.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ah, I see it - and yeah, I've tried it without gloves and with baseball gloves, and the baseball gloves worked fine because they're so thin. They don't increase diameter in any appreciable way.

I guess I'll take your advice and deadlift without gloves until I get my next set of decent baseball gloves, and if I get used to it / it feels better than with the thin baseball gloves I'll continue to deadlift without gloves.

You also want to be filing down your callouses when they get to big. I do mine once every other week or so with a foot file.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
25% more is pretty normal.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My legs have been sore since last Wednesday. Today is leg day again. This must be what hell is like.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I had leg day on Friday too.

Lemming posted:

If you do leg day twice a week they won't hurt. This is somehow reality.

Pretty sure this is completely false.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Lemming posted:

YMMV but I do 5x5@90% of my 5RM on Monday, light squats Wednesday, and go for a new PR on 5RM on Friday. If I do this, my legs are sore Tuesday-Thursday, but if I throw in 2x10@80% afterwards on Friday they don't hurt at all.

Yeah, I did Texas Method or whatever for a while and I couldn't keep up with the 5 pound increases every week. Plus 5x5@90% was brutal. Props to you though. I did a 3RM followed by 5x10 deadlift@70% on Friday and then went for a hike right after. I think the hike's what did it for me. Usually I'm sore Wed-Fri and then ok by the weekend. In general I just want to lie down and die after I finish the 5x10.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Acelerion posted:

Speaking of clothes...getting suit jackets to fit is an impossibility I've decided. Going to bring back the office stringer T

Yeah an athletic cut jacket that fits me comes with pants with like a 40 inch waist.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Doing 5x10's at ~60% weight feels almost the same as HIIT for me in terms of getting my heart pumping. But I've been meaning to get some HIIT in once a week.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's PR week! Started it off with a 3x250 bench. Hyped to lift heavy things all week long.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Homestar Runner posted:

lol why do people provide descriptive updates of their workouts :psyduck:

Deadlifted 4 reps of 440 today. The end.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
PR week is over.

Got 3 reps each of 437.5 deadlift, 375 squat, 247.5 bench. And 2 reps of 175 OHP.

Not sure if I want to throw up, die, or die from throwing up right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Curl up in a ball with a nice salami.

Went to Korean barbecue. Is that an acceptable alternative to salami?

• Locked thread