Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Finaly started deadlifts after a pause due to back troubles... So far so good.
Started doings lots of negative reps lately at end of sets, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Gaz2k21 posted:

Fcuking struggled today with 105kg Deadlifts what the hell??!?!?!? i think it's because I didn't eat and had a few days off.

Having to up the cardio to as I'm struggling to get through wrestling classes.

I stuggled getting my deadlifts past 100kg, alot due to back issue but: Also poor cardio really hosed me hard. Slowly but steadyli climbing up the kilos now though.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

FogHelmut posted:

I curl the squat rack

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
I've been looking on Youtube for proper ways to curl. I can only do 45lbs dumbbells, but this guy is amazing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl1XrHeG1WI

How can I become strong like this guy? Please. I want to be pro. Also, id like to be able to make a face like his, preferably without an iron maiden og a baseball bat up my rear end.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Im not sure, but I think I might be the first victim of internet AIDS after watching that. WTF.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

unpacked robinhood posted:

I pass sneaky odorless farts at the gym

Walk-by farting when there is several people in one spot is hillarious.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Al Cowens posted:

• dumbshit meme routines like "Starting Strength" or any sort of 5x5. Just loving lift until you're tired. God drat

I did squats today, first pyramid, then a negatives... Felt like my legs had been bulldozered.

So I decided to do the only resonable thing you can in a situation like that:
Go back for secounds when my gym mate asked if I wanted to lift... Yepp, Great idea.

My legs feel like they are on loving fire. 5 hours later...

Love it. :>

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Benched 175lbs today, happy with that, trying to close in on 220lbs by the end of the year. Been training for 6months now. (From completely loving horrible untrained piece of sofa, not fat though).

Feel I aint pushed myself hard enough in bench press earlier so gonna focus alot more on that now than before. Started training to recover poor health after getting some autoimmune disease crap from hell, it's helping quite abit, blood tests are better, I feel better - still struggle with energy and longer sessions, but atleast the joint loving pain is going away, less strain over time on the joints I guess due to supporting muscles... Pain now, so I dont become a total cripple at 50 :P

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Chinatown posted:

I swear to god.

And yes, the 2.5s are outside the collars

Why do they even make 2.5s... That is the real question.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

bamhand posted:

Because going up in increments of 10 is really hard? I own a pair of 1.25's.

Kilos I could argue that going up 10s can be hard for some, but in pounds, I really struggle to see it. And I've been wrecked in my health. There were drug addicted crack whores in better shape than me.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

The Revenant posted:

Actually he's saying they can go up by 20 lbs. 10 on each side, OP.

How do you make two 5's become 20? Or a 10...

- - -

Adding 10lbs shouldn't be that bad on overhead press, but - maybe I am just being an unintentional rear end in a top hat here :>

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

Actually a good gym provides you with an environment where you can make progress surrounded by successful athletes, not pizza for $20/month

Having awesome people who know their poo poo around you is a pretty god drat good boost. My gym is about 35$ per month, classic Arnold Style, lovely place.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah more seriously the vast majority of strong people are pretty nice and helpful and less of them are on something than you'd think. Learn what you can from them. You're in the right environment to make crazy gains.

post ur press bruh

Not anything impressive, somewhere around 130lbs. Climbing steadyli :> [barbell shoulderpress]. 8th month in the gym today actualy :banjo:

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 12, 2016

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Training quads/glutes... I get so loving hungry for the rest of the day it aint even funny, I eat *everything*, like a loving beast. And it is an unstoppable craving, grr.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

a starwar betamax posted:

In the past 10 months I've lost around 30 pounds and while most of it is fat I have lost a lot of muscle mass Im basically an shambling tube sock of bones and cartilage at this point and my diet is I eat rice three meals a day and I just eat as much as I can fit in my belly and I do no exersizes except I walk everywhere also I have a torn cartilage in my riight knee and so what are some good exersizes I can do and also should I eat more protein?

Friend of mine is in the same situation, hosed knee, doing lots of upper body stuff, situps and whatever back excercises that wont use the knee much. Work around it :>

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Any advice for "troublesome" left shoulder? Feels like I am getting some minor tears (well, duh- bigger than normal) which causes some pain, but not really limits my strength. First two reps of a set is worst, then its usualy better. I warm up with a empty barbell (20kg), no pain then.

Shoulder rolls etc any good? It feels like the pain stems from the small bicep head.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Zahgaegun posted:

Small bicep head? How did you come to that conclusion?

Google 'frozen shoulder' - does that match up?

It is where the pain comes from, or atleast where it feels like it comes from, it is always a specific spot. Doesn't match frozen shoulder symptoms..
The pain is completely gone the next day, or sometimes even hours after training. I've identified three specific excersices that seem to make it worse:

Bench Press
Bent Over Barbell Rows
Latteral Pull Ups

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Noticed a slight mistake in my benching, probably the cause of shoulder pain, tendency to angle it towards my face on heavy lifts towards the end. Fixed it now, should see some improvements in shoulder and weight I lift hopefuly. Shoulder was fine after last bench session.

Oh, and 270 in deadlifts finaly, woho. But rather heavy on the hands, gonna buy some wraps.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

FogHelmut posted:

Good good, let the hate flow through you

JOIN THE DARK SIDE... SQUAT IN THE BICEP RACK!

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

I do it like Moss..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDQ4bMjKmeY

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

while on the topic of hands and deadlifting, what do you folks thing about hook grip? I have a minor case of carpal tunnel from my new job and sometimes my right wrist hurts when I double overhand. Supinated in a mix grip is fine but I prefer not to use it unless I have to, and hook grip totally eliminates the wrist pain for some reason. It's working fine so far, but I'm still at a pretty light weight(up to 225x5 so far since I started again).

Not sure, I got carpal , slight myself, but I fought through the pain to begin with, barely notice it now. Cannot say if this is a good idea though, might be quite the oposite :D

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Easter eggers decided to stay at home, I went for a session - Had good fun, new PR in ATG Squats, 200lbs (3reps)- Was fun, Now I cannot walk :D It's nice to finaly be rid of the god forsaken knee problems.

My Q-Face posted:

Anybody have experience doing Squats while suffering diarrhea? I think it might be a day to skip the gym.

Wear diapers!

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Chinatown posted:

arguing about diets

Powerlift and eat what you want instead. :D

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Well, atleast I can say I deadlift more than grandma now... Jesus.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Decided to try out calf raises again.. I found em boring since I never felt they gave me anything. (Standing, machine). Ended up doing 705lbs. Going for 880lbs next week... Calfs can take it easyli, no problem, but it's abit heavy on the back.
It's strange, I never trained calfs in my life, save 1-2 months half a year ago, but it feels so drat easy. Advice for more effective calf training excercises? (or well, they might be effective for all I know, just dont feel it that much compared to other muscles).

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I stack two mats and step half on, half off of them, then do raises with a bar over my shoulders. It gets more range out of my calf raise.

I think I get rather decent range, feet are on a metal bar quite far off the ground, giant rear end shoulderpads. See if I can upload a video. Maybe my form is total poo poo.

Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZouSkUDLfw

Added some fitting music.

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
DC kinda looks like the standing machine poo poo I am doing.
I promise to not neglect calfs. I will try finding motivation in doing retarded numbers that impress people who don't know poo poo :D Be fun to break 1000lbs in something on a personal level too ofcourse.

On that note what is an "impressive" calf raise (machine,standing)? Not exactly the excercise to measure your manbeast power in...

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

Nice music choice but unless you used some sick mad video editing skills I don't see you pausing for 5 seconds at the top of the lift and 10 at the bottom.

Will try adding pauses at top and bottom of the calf raises as suggested. :> Also: You should see my MS Paint skills.
- - - -

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Wrong mindset. Impressive calves is what you should be seeking, not an impressive calf raise.

Not my mindset, just curious. :> Only thing I care about if pushing my body as far as I can to improve it, 8 months ago my arthritis had me walking like a 90year old. Now I am back being functional, less joint pain, less wear and tear.. gently caress if I am gonna be chained to a bed at 50 because I didn't wanna push through some pain now.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

That's just delicious fat. There are no muscles there.

Imagine it being abit further up - could just fry it on the grill, instant bacon.

- - -

Btw:
Did some extra leg stuff after squats today the way you mentioned, it gave me abit "more". Will add it consistently to my routine. Thanks for the advice. :)

- -

Spent entire day fixing my drat brakes on the car (FYI- not having the special retard tool that Volvo uses on brakes loving sucks). Almost decided not to go to the gym but:
http://i.imgur.com/aMqYbrc.gifv
:D

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 8, 2016

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Today is cheat day. Mostly out of self pitty, strained shoulder somehow. Kebab, Coke and lasagna. Then cake since someone decided it was a great idea to be born today, not me.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

notZaar posted:

Skip the kebab and eat shwarma instead.

Sadly I live in a small town, noone selling shwarma here :(

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Think I might struggle to get enough protein naturaly through my diet. I do one protein shake after each training session usualy, but considering to up this to one in the morning, one after training... I prefer natural foods, but not always that easy to fit in. Also: gently caress my shoulder. Something weird with it again, no sharp pain though so will try to fight through it at the gym tomorrow and see what happends.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah just eat/lift more.

If dumbbell benching after barbell injures you you were never meant to lift. But if you're asking for advice in this thread this is what you deserve.

One shake with breakfast, one after I workout, and eating normal amounts of meat puts me around 175g a day which is perfect for me at 200lbs. How much do you think you need?

I am thinking around ~125g @ 86kg (190lbs) - Guess my estimate was abit low.
Breakfast for me is about 10-20g.
Dinner around 30-40g
"21:00" food around 20-30g.

So Id say I am getting about 90g max without protein shakes. (Current shakes has 25g protein, whey+6.5g bcaa).

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

exquisite tea posted:

What else are you supposed to eat between breakfast and thirdmeal.

Dont forget pre-dinner...

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

JFairfax posted:

Is mdma a good pre workout?

MDNA is being used at my gym, don't see the harm in swapping a letter. Pretty sure MDNA is giving me more damages than anything else I ever used.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dza posted:

I am a fat alcoholic looking to un-fat.I have quit drinking (Thursday will be 2 months) and I've acquired a power rack, a bench, and an olympic weight set. Now I suppose I have to start picking the heavy things up then putting them down.

I have terrible flexibility and my muscles are incredibly tight, especially around my hips/glutes. I've injured my self (hip flexors?) early into any squat-heavy programs I've tried in the past. Also, I can't overhead press (low roof) unless there's a sitting variant.

I'm 6'2" 250lbs (down from 270+) and I want to be all swole like you studs rather than just skinnyfat as this weight comes off.

Tell me what to do because I am a big dummy who can't think for himself.

Happy to hear you are looking to get fit again :D
IF you can afford a personal trainer for 2-3 sessions, or even one - that would probably go a very long way to help you do things right, bad form = injuries, and it aint that easy to do right without someone spotting you. Sitting overhead press is fine.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

sassassin posted:

Teach yourself lifting its really easy.

Flexibility comes by being active and doing a bit of stretching now and then.

I strongly dissagree, it's extremely easy to make bad mistakes that could cause injury to your body. Having someone to correct you is invaluable.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

It's easy to learn on your own and yet goons gently caress it up all the time.

How can you say this and recommend he get some random personal trainer.

Try going to one of these gyms, Dza. http://www.saskpowerlifting.ca/index.php?id=9 I can't stress how much it helps going to a gym where people actually care about lifting. Figure out who's in charge and tell them you're new and don't want to gently caress yourself up, and they should be able to direct you to someone who can help. Or just find the biggest dude that doesn't act like a piece of poo poo. Most of them are usually nice.

Sorry, I tend to forget that there are some god awful loving poo poo trainers about. Im lucky enough to have some solid guys who lift serious around me. Also, not sure what the requierment to become a personal trainer is in the US. Here it involves quite abit of work.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Re: being super stiff - stretching is actually pretty important and people don't do it enough. Even just having one stretch day a week probably isn't enough. Watch some videos on stretching, then stretch a little bit before you work out every time (squatting? Stretch your legs! Lifting? Stretch your chest/arms!)

Re: trainers - yeah, it's easy to get a job as a trainer at any lovely gym, it's easy to be a lovely meathead that just tells people what to lift. Once you've worked with an actual, good trainer - someone who explains the movements, who tells you what's happening to the muscles, why you're doing what you're doing, what things to pair it with, and actually corrects you when you're doing things wrong - it's a whole different experience.

Edit:

There are certifications you can and should get, but it can also be as easy as "be a big guy and interview at a gym". Which, as you can imagine, doesn't always guarantee you get someone who knows how to TEACH, which is what a good trainer will do.

Mm yeah, seen a few of those. Also- actualy identifying what works on different people is a huge part. poo poo that works on a Mr.Hulk Natural Talent #GeneticExperiment33 from Russia, probably doesn't work on a guy who's been sitting in front of his computer for 30 years...
I dont think there is much that is more damaging than some idiot trying to push on you super massive weights when you cant even lift half of it "just to test". And in BAD form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Dum Cumpster posted:

When I do my lovely attempts at cleans it feels like I get forearm tendinitis after. Any idea what I'm doing wrong, clean guy?

Probably you need more soap, too dirty.

• Locked thread