Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mister Speaker posted:

Postin' inna GBS thread about lifting when W&W is right there

I just got back into fitness (fit'niss dick in yo mouth) after a long hiatus. I'm 5'10", 28 years old and a paunchy 185. Five years ago my lifts were nothing special but I was a lean, muscular 180 and I want to be that again. I'm doing 5x5 big lifts (everything except deadlifts which I really miss but can't do them in my apartment; I do barbell rows instead) followed by isolation work generally in the 8-16 rep range. Working nights in a bar kitchen my diet is probably not as good as it could be. I am definitely getting stronger - turns out up until now I wasn't really warming up properly; now that I'm using a warmup calculator my big lifts have broken records in no time - but I feel like I could be cutting my gut out quicker. Should I stay the course with 5x5 supplemented by isolation lifts in the hypertrophy range, or is there something I should supplement my workouts with, like dumbbell complexes? I really want to go back to taking krav maga, that's the ticket but I've got to change my work schedule to accomodate night classes.

W&W is for encouragement, GBS is for laughing at the assholes taking up the squat racks for over an hour, one pair doing squats with ten minutes of "prep" in between, and the other "deadlifting" 480 lbs with wrist straps and his legs so wide apart that his legs had about three inches of motion and 90% of his set was him leaning way back and thrusting his dick over the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I'm not a swole-bro anymore. Between February and August last year I went from 225 to 190, my DL got up over 300, my squat to 250 and my bench to 225. Then I got hurt and got lazy and put on 12 pounds because I couldn't walk and I only just started up again two weeks ago. Now my DL is back up to 255, my squat to 205 and my bench is stalled at 165 :cry: For gently caress's sake, my row is 160. :wtf:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yeah, well be careful. Don't circumcise yourself on the knurling!

I'm glad I missed out on the bulk of the New Years resolutioners, but since I've been back I've seen an increase in gym-douches; bane masks, beats headphones, unnecessary grunting and slamming, dropping weights, quarter-reppers, people doing funky stupid poo poo on the smith machine. I even had one guy come up to me while I was squatting to ask if he could have next, only to come back a few minutes later to see him curling.

In the last two weeks, I've only seen about 3-4 regular lifters I recognize from last summer.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Aralan posted:

What's wrong with wrist straps? I use them for deadlifting and shrugs so my baby hands don't hold me back

Nothing, if you're using them with significant weight and range of motion. If you're using them with less than 300 pounds, or using them like this guy, to move the bar ~6 inches before arching your back like a bow, then good luck to you!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Hatebag posted:

Look pal I'm not sure what your deal is here but I want a god damned wooden squat rack and no one is gonna stand in my way!

You should make the weight set out of wood too!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I smell maple syrup when I lift. Do I stink, or am I having a stroke?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I hadn't noticed any strong odors when I pee, just occasionally when I sweat (and I don't eat syrup), but I also haven't been paying attention.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Well I checked and my pee doesn't smell like anything. I guess it's a stroke!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I jumped up my DL from 255 to 275 today, I had to use the switch grip because my babby arms. I also started doing dumbbell curls at the beginning of my workout and barbell curls at the end. I started off with 25 pound dumbbells and I had to go down to 15 because my left bicep is a little bitch and I jerk off with my right hand.

Some more fun douchebags at the gym today: The guy with the loose belt on squatting 135 and 150, then :airquote:spotting:airquote: the girl he was with while he was teaching her to box squat with 45 and then 95. Oh, and they were breathing through the whole ROM, too.

Or am I the douchebag for not saying anything?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

ObesePriest posted:

I also squat 135 but sometimes I do more but sometimes I do less.

Do you wear a belt when you do?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Aralan posted:

Judging everyone around you, much like lifting weights, and watching other guys in the mirror is a valid part of a gym routine and you can only get better at it if you practice. With a consistent routine this guy could go from curling 20s and judging normal people to curling 50s and making fun of crossfitters in no time

I don't judge everyone around me, just the people taking up the squat racks doing stupid poo poo for too long, and that's because there's only two in the gym.

Homestar Runner posted:

dude you can't even curl 25 pounders the hell you being smug over lmao

Naw, man, I hit failure on one side on my third set, my right arm was looking at me in the mirror saying "poo poo, dude, I lift more than this every night!"

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 4, 2016

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

^^^ The app doesn't show what subforum it's in, or that it's closed until you try to post in it.

Massive SoCal Asada Burritos are good post workout food, right?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Open your own. This is actually a good idea and not at all bad. I'm going to steal your greek columns bit

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GUQVo1Lps

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

It's Equinox, the gym you go to because you can

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Chinatown posted:

lift weights like a normal health conscious person and do some cardio every so often and maybe eat some chicken and veg on the regular

I haven't been able to eat any chicken vag on the regular lately, is that okay?

Chinatown posted:

one of those is opening up near me soon and i literally scoffed out loud when i saw the monthly

For fun I started reading Yelp reviews of different LA locations, and it's exactly the kind of people you think would drop $200 a month to "invest in their body". Apparently you "get what you pay for", and you pay to be able to look down on the staff, expect to be waited on hand and foot, for the gym to not smell like sweat, for heated salt-water lap pools, to be able to ogle people in the shower stall next to you because they're separated with translucent film, to get free designer toiletries, full time fresh towel service anywhere in the gym, the overwhelming smell of Eucalyptus, and to be able to leave thousand+ dollar items just lying around because lol you forgot.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 7, 2016

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Just lift barefoot.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

When I open my gym with its massive Greek columns, you can only lift barefoot or in sandals. Not flip flops though.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Three weeks back from a too-long injury break, I'm finally back on track with squats (235), and DLs (295). If only my arms hadn't gone all soft, my bench and OHP would be back too, I have to use mixed grip on the DL now because of my babby arms!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

For fun I like to throw myself at 150 mph towards the earth. Sometimes bad things happen.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Definitely activated the glutes tonight, like they got shot or something. 235 was so easy on Monday, what the gently caress, 240?

Also added flies and curls to the end of the SL workout, because why not?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

The Revenant posted:

to puss off goons

Fruedian Slip?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

But what were you doing at a planet fatness?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Mmmm, Pizza. I think I will have some tonight!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yes, foam roll and get blood flowing in them.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Well I found the right weight tonight. I actually got a spot for my last squat rep and both squats and deadlifts felt like I was about to pop my head off and my glutes are mad at me. No more recovery/catch-up phase, that was definitely 100% for the first time since September.

Squats about killed me, I hit the bottom on the last rep of my last two sets and just lost all tension, so it was a real struggle to get it back up. It was actually incredibly easier if I leaned back a bit, it almost felt like the weight disappeared and I could push it back up relatively easily, but it also felt like I was a few inches from falling over backwards and losing it. I may have to reevaluate my stance.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Zzulu posted:

Was he hot though?

He certainly knew what he was doing :gay:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Switched over to Madcow this morning. Added 3x10 back off sets at the end of each heavy set. Anticipating new soreness tomorrow. Squatted 252.5. Because lol :downs: I didn't even notice an imbalance.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

24 hour fitness/LA fitness are totally fine. They have all the freeweight stuff, dbs up to 120, plenty of hammer strength stuff. Plus they'll usually have fine-looking females too

24 hour has those stupid hex plates that make deadlifting a PITA. Otherwise it's good yeah.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Tightness for sure. Your muscles just aren't used to moving under pressure like that. (it's nothing to do with strength). Get yourself a foam roller and hit your legs for one to two minutes per muscle group three times a week for a week or two to loosen them up: top, bottom, inside and outside, upper leg and lower leg.

Read up on how to do it right, don't foam roll your joints or your spine, just focus on the muscles.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yeah, I had similar issues, especially right when I came back to lifting after months off and it helped (and continues to help) considerably.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Why do all weight lifting apps except SL5x5 suck rear end? How hard is it to plug up starting weights and have the app calculate for you? "Enter the weight you lifted on that rep, and how many you did!" gently caress you, I'm lazy or I'd be doing it all on paper or in my head!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Chinatown posted:

speaking of cabbage i bought a head of cabbage and a big rear end piece of corned beef for the weekend. :yum:

Aww poo poo yeah! Party in Chinatown this weekend!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Chinatown posted:

is corned beef good for gains

I know cabbage will assist my post-gym dump seshs.

And also your during-gym farts!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Go N.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Chinatown posted:

carne asada tacos/burritos

I'm going out to get one today!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

My guts turned on me Tuesday. I went to lunch with the guy who runs my new office and he chose Subway, for some stupid reason I had a turkey and ham sandwich. That day it gave me bad gas, but I've been feeling it all week, I haven't had a normal dump, and I've put on four pounds since then. Fuckin Subway and Jared, raping my insides!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Profondo Rosso posted:

I bought pants for the first time after 3 months of bulking and holy poo poo it's impossible to find anything that fits. I'm a 30 waist but my thighs are demanding atleast a 36

Those Levis "athletic" 541s are crap for people with real quads, don't buy em.

In fact, the only right sized jeans I can find that fit my waist and my thighs are 7 for all mankind and cost 150-200 a piece. :( Fortunately they last forever.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

I have a pair of those Levis. Still had to go a size up, but they look better than jncos.

I tried on one size up and found that they fit the same way my one-size-up-from-my-fat-period 501s did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

My size 34s already have a waistband I can fit my arm down pretty easily while they're buttoned up, and they're still a little snug in the thighs. If I wear 36s I'm able to fit both arms down them.

You're right, though, I've got about 30-35 pounds of fat on me. If you have a pro tip for targeting the fat in my thighs, that'd be great.

• Locked thread