Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Being swole is bad. Get ripped instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Waroduce posted:

Eat nothing but bacon and 200g of protein a day

The goon life.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

What kinda bullshit is this

Sorry if I triggered you, fatty.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Hello friends, I have been going to the gym 3 times a week after work and also learning how to fence on the remaining two, AMA.

What's your favorite anime?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Speaker posted:

Postin' inna GBS thread about lifting when W&W is right there

I just got back into fitness (fit'niss dick in yo mouth) after a long hiatus. I'm 5'10", 28 years old and a paunchy 185. Five years ago my lifts were nothing special but I was a lean, muscular 180 and I want to be that again. I'm doing 5x5 big lifts (everything except deadlifts which I really miss but can't do them in my apartment; I do barbell rows instead) followed by isolation work generally in the 8-16 rep range. Working nights in a bar kitchen my diet is probably not as good as it could be. I am definitely getting stronger - turns out up until now I wasn't really warming up properly; now that I'm using a warmup calculator my big lifts have broken records in no time - but I feel like I could be cutting my gut out quicker. Should I stay the course with 5x5 supplemented by isolation lifts in the hypertrophy range, or is there something I should supplement my workouts with, like dumbbell complexes? I really want to go back to taking krav maga, that's the ticket but I've got to change my work schedule to accomodate night classes.

I was 5'9" and 185 when I started SL, did that for 3 months while doing a strict cut (I'm talking MFP and measuring every crumb to the gram) and kept it under 1800 kcal a day. That took me down to 160 but even at that weight I was probably still 10-15% bf.
So yeah it's gonna work but it's not fun and you're not going to build a lot of muscle.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

My hands hurt from deadlift friction. How do I stop being a wuss.

Are you placing the bar inside the fold between your palm and fingers? If you hold it too high in your hand you will rub against the folded skin and possibly tear your calluses.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

I get some pain in the joint between my palm and finger if I place the bar right in the fold. Kind of like if you jam your finger but on the joint closest to your palm instead of the one closest to the fingertip. Think I'm gonna try some hooks later this week.

The pain is how you know it's working. If it doesn't feel like your fingers are being pulled out of your hand, you're not deadlifting heavy enough.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

88h88 posted:

I'm curling in the power cage. :v:

I'm glaring at you from the elliptical.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Rowing is fun but the problem is you need 7 other people and a boat to do it. Still it was a blast in high school.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Having a home gym is basically the only reason I ever feel like not renting an apartment.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I would also like to know how to build arms better because my quads and shoulders are basically the only muscles groups I have that developed nicely, my forearms still look like tapered tubes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The knurled bars on the Captain of Crush looks like it's going to destroy my hands. It's a similar knurl to what's on the bars at my gym and those fucker HURT. I seriously can't do pullups sometimes after deadlifting with them.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

lilljonas posted:

My gym has been closed since January, as the health inspection guys repeatedly found that the air had twice the maximum allowed amount of CO2. Yes, ventilation was that bad. :( They promised that it will be fixed by the end of March, but this sucks.

Sounds like a good way to increase your breathing volume actually. Make the body work for that O2, it's like putting weights on your metabolic system.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does 5x10 count as high rep?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Basically everybody I see at the gym with headphones are wearing beats, but on the plus side I never hear their lovely music leaking out like the maniacs who wear in ear monitors with the volume turned up to max.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Only if you over engineer the hell out of it. I wouldn't use anything thinner than a 4*6.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
In that case let's see a full ANSYS breakdown of your drawing including the harmonic modes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

Please dont stink at the gym, i dont want to have to smell you

You will be dunked in my sweaty rear end miasma, accept it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

I just watched Creed last night, Michael B Jordan has impressive beach muscles, but literally no lats at all. Kind of impressed but not sure.

What would a boxer need lats for? They're not doing a lot of pulling.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dude is the living embodiment of "swole".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Only a weird chicks pin stuff, that website is lame as hell.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

So does he have a massive untreated hernia or what? WTF is wrong with his torso?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That's not true, "turbo" implies twisting or spinning.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see a problem with wearing a belt for reps you could do without a belt. You're training for a certain form so if you plan to use one eventually may as well start now.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
5x5 is a pretty good program.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If I do more than a half squat worth of ROM on the leg press my butt starts to lift off and it worries me. There's a history of disc slippage in my family. Am I doing the exercise wrong?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dum Cumpster posted:

Try changing your feet placement to minimize it but yeah that can happen depending on the machine. You're right to be careful

I've tried doing the machine sumo style but then my knees start to feel funny, maybe I'll just stick to squats and leg curls.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Maoist Pussy posted:

What is the best gym for being a normal hot person? I don't want the roid gym, but I also don't want struggle gym that is overly welcoming to New Year's resolution people. I want it to have a pool and Greek columns and hot single chicks in yoga pants.

It's the gym that serves the rich neighborhoods and you better believe your monthly dues are going to be in the triple digits.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That looks like concept art for the gym where the evil rich kids train so they can win the race and close off the mountain for themselves.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I bet that dude's deltoids are bigger than my rear end cheeks.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I didn't expect this to turn into a cheesy daytime TV commercial lmao.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

lodewijk posted:

My gym won't let me. :(

Just lift in thick socks.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
After a low intensity week and 3 days of rest, I still can't squat for poo poo.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hah, I thought at first it was a close up of the home made cornstarch fleshlite from the flashlight thread.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Anybody going to blast their glutes at the gym today?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

why are weightlifting people on this forum so fond of leg stuff?

Why would you not want to blast your biggest, strongest muscle?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Tomorrow I'm going to totally pump the heck out of my hammies and spinae erectors.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My goal is to be able to crack walnuts in my rear end crack.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

the number of scrawny rear end highschoolers in gym tanks is becoming concerning

Cotton tank tops are the best gym clothes, especially if they're starting to fray around the shoulder straps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

After a layoff due to injury I got back in the gym a few months ago and just today pulled 5 plates conventional for a PR. The old guy next to me also deadlifting complimented my form.

My form was terrible imo I'm gonna have to redo it next week.

Very nice. So which side did you put the fifth plate on? Usually I try to go for an even number so both sides have the same number of plates.

• Locked thread