Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Best thread, you back!

Still doing the PHUL workout, back at the gym after bullshit doctor-recommended break from training, now back in and feeling like a weak baby. All my lifts have had between 5-10kg knocked off them. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

P-Mack posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to squat in one of those Smith machines with the slight backwards incline? Anything I do feels wrong.

You're not and you're going to hurt your back if you try. :(

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Decebal posted:

Are the New year resolution crowds thinning out ?

They have been since about January 20th where I am. Back to blissful 7am sessions where I seem to be thinly person in the free weights area.

Also, if I'm committing a cardio, should I factor that into daily calories if I'm doing a lean bulk (-10% calories on rest/cardio days, +20% on lifting days), or just consider it a little fat burning during rest days?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
OHP sucks. It's the worst lift in the world of lifts.

Also, where is Tiny Lowtax these days?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

i wish u guys were in this sauna with me right now

u phoneposting from the sauna? :ohdear:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

a starwar betamax posted:

In the past 10 months I've lost around 30 pounds and while most of it is fat I have lost a lot of muscle mass Im basically an shambling tube sock of bones and cartilage at this point and my diet is I eat rice three meals a day and I just eat as much as I can fit in my belly and I do no exersizes except I walk everywhere also I have a torn cartilage in my riight knee and so what are some good exersizes I can do and also should I eat more protein?

Sounds like you're over 30 swolebro :(

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Guys guys no fighting in the swole thread, unless it involves oil and harnesses :3:

I'm steadily progressing from the 'intermediate' strength standards on exrx to the 'advanced' and I'm happy!

Except for the overhead press which is still not at intermediate yet. I hate that lift :smith:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I've got pump so hard in my biceps that I can't bend my arms. Or is that 'can't move send help'? v:v:v

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Went to the gym this morning, the only person there, did some big lifts to justify the Easter feast that is imminent. Also I think i need to eat more. Failed on the 5th benchpress rep at 85kg, progression is slowing down. At 67kg I guess I need to eat more.

So I will today :getin:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I ate too much today and didn't calculate calorie intake at all. I don't like this feeling, back to strict intake tomorrow. :(

Also, referring back to an earlier comment, is being 5'9" (or so, about 177cm) and 67kg really that bad?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Profondo Rosso posted:

unless you're absolutely ripped that's tiny man/large boy territory

Guess I need to eat more :/

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This thread seems to alternate between chill and rage quite a bit :ohdear:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Chinatown posted:

overhead barbell press is my new fav thang

basically lifting poo poo above your head is cool + good

This is my worst lift and every time makes me feel like a failure :smith:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I walked 15km today, myfitnesspal says that's 700 calories. Does that sound accurate and can I eat 700 additional calories? :getin:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

No, sorry bud

:smith:

I will regretfully stay within my calorie allowance then.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

exquisite tea posted:

I'm only fat on the inside.

:v::respek::v:

I used to be really fat though, and that makes bulking a nerve-wracking experience.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

:allears:

Keep it up. You're going to have wonderful calves!

This man speaks the truth, as a former fatty my calves are ~*~fabulous~*~

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Urrrrgh building muscle takes too long and today some of my lifts are down slightly and I want all the test and HGH and CREATINE my body can handle :black101:

But, I'm benching 80kg for 8 reps at 67kgbodyweight so it could be worse I guess...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ZigZag posted:

How could it be worse? It is almost impossible for an adult human male to weigh less than you.

Well poo poo. :smith:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Renegret posted:

my doctor told me my "ideal" bodyweight is less than that and I laughed my way out of his office.

Renegret posted:

my doctor told me my "ideal" bodyweight is less than that and I laughed my way out of his office.

I have a small frame :smith:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

The Express is so poo poo that your posted article is actually good journalism by their standards.

sassassin posted:

80x8 is a decent set whats you are max?

I got up to 90x2 last time I tried, could have gone for a third rep but didn't have a spot and was a little worried about failing the third.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

FizFashizzle posted:

Those aren't biscuits :colbert:

It's also not real :smith:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/red-lobster-biscuit-coma_n_3496755.html

I was doing legs yesterday, and was kinda depressed that the squats that had seemed so easy the week before were so much harder this time. Then I realised that I'd picked up the wrong weights and had added an extra 10kg to the bar :getin:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

FogHelmut posted:

All of this nonsense about "body going into starvation mode" and "overtraining" is bullshit. Just stop eating for a few days and run around the block wearing a trash bag.

What is the magic that this trash bag contains? :frogon:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Why the gently caress does my gym only have one squat rack, this fuckers been in it for 20 minutes and won't get out or let me work in because he's 'supah-settin!'

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I have a feeling that if any exercise is likely to wreck my body in the future it'll be deadlifts. I like them but starting to wonder whether I should still be doing them...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I was expecting not to be able to from tight hamstrings or something, but yeah I did it no problem. I deadlifted tonight, started to feel that slight twinge in my knee, then stopped and held a couple of stretches for like 30 seconds and was fine. at this point i'm positive it's just tightness and my body is just being stubborn. When I started working out the first time last year, I had bad tight hamstrings and my lower back would hurt from deadlifts. I had thought my form was horrible or something but it turned out to be muscle tightness and it seriously took about a solid 2 or 3 weeks of regular stretching before it seemed to let up for good.

Are you doing any warmup sets, or any walking/running or anything prior to doing your working sets?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I always warm up with the bar and ramp up. For squats it's usually a couple of stretches like a hamstring stretch and the couch stretch, I hold them for 15-25 seconds each. (Although when my knee hurt the other day I slacked off and only did one quick 10 second stretch assuming my weight warmup would suffice). Then when I do that, I start with the empty bar, then 95 lbs, then 115 lbs, then my work weight. When my work weight was lower and I started at 115, it was the bar, 65, 95, then work weight, etc.

But like I said, when I had the knee issue last time, it actually did it on the first warmup with just the bar, so I doubt it's a matter of too much weight. My knee either feels tight, and hurts too much to squat, or it doesn't at all.

E: no walking or running. I workout after a 10 hour shift of walking around all night, so gently caress that. Also I never warmed up by running/walking last year when I lifted and had no issues.

Could be that the ten hour shifts are fatiguing, and your legs don't have enough time to recover in between work and weights. That's just a guess on my part - might be an idea to see a doctor.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Wamdoodle posted:

Do any of you swole mutha grabbers bother with any kind of protein bars? Just wanted to hear what anyone might grab to eat when you have little time to take in those bulking calories and you don't have time to prepare a full 7 course meal between reps. Or does anyone make their own protein bars because I know the packaged stuff is usually loaded with sugars.

You could try MyProtein's cookies http://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/protein-cookie/11027529.html - 38g protein, 10g fat (4g saturates) and 20g carbohydrates (of which only 7g are sugars), for a total of 320 calories.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Wamdoodle posted:

drat, that'll get the blood flowing.

Another open question. How many grams of protein do you take in per day?

General rule of thumb is 1g per lb bodyweight - most studies suggest that it's a bit more than you need, but it's easy to remember.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Hey guys I'm back haven't posted since the 2015 thread but you can bet I've been getting swole. Good to be back miss you.

Tiny lowtax you back :3:

Cutting sucks. SUCKS.

Also it's weird. When doing lower body I don't eat beforehand and feel fine. With upper body not eating seems to impact my lifts. Makes no sense it's probably completely psychosomatic.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
If I'm lifting before eating in the morning should I take BCAAs to stop my muscles falling off or are the supposed catabolic effects bullshit?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Dum Cumpster posted:

Apparently it's bullshit. The study that everyone gets that from was wrong. It's like eating sugar.

Then again maybe the new idea is wrong. No one knows. Your body is a beautiful mystery.

Thanks mate, I won't bother with spending more money on supplements. :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

notZaar posted:

If my Fitbit is to be believed, a typical hour long session looks like this:

120BPM average, and the lowest points are 100BPM which is twice resting.

Resting of 50? Niiiiice

I'm on a cut. Tonight I had a pizza and a few alcoholic drinks. Now I feel like wrecked the week. This way leads to madness. Or eating disorder :smith:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

Alright boys I can still pull 475 pretty easily so it seems that this cut has only killed my ability to blast volume.

Now lets see what toll a 4 month vacation takes.

Yeah, I'm also in a cut and my volume has just gone through the floor - gone from 3 sets of 8 reps of 85kg on benchpress to 3 sets of 5,4 and 3. It's probably more of a lack of glycogen thing rather than a serious loss of strength thing. :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

ive been cutting for 2 months and have lost no strength at all. Everything is harder though, but im still lifting the same stuff :mad:

What, same volume and everything? What's your secret?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

maybe I am just really really cool

Well obvs, I meant apart from that :)

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I hate the overhead press. Hate it. Lots.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Went to a BBQ. Had a lot of beers, had a lot of meat. So long, attempt to cut.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tiny Lowtax posted:

The other day a coworker was wearing shoes that said CROSSFIT really large on the side. I asked him how crossfit shoes are any different than normal gym shoes. He said they aren't, reebok just owns crossfit. Lmao what how can anyone own a style of exercise? I need to find a way to own running or something so everyone had to pay me royalties when they run or buy running shoes.

Branding :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Profondo Rosso posted:

canned chicken is like a buck fifty a lb at costco and also the food of the gods. add that poo poo to everythang

Canned chicken :psyduck:

• Locked thread