Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
##vote
1. B; A; C
2. Plan Ralith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
##vote
1. B; A
2. Plan Ralith

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
LordVonEarlDuke informs me that we can't maneuver to employ the shoulder cannon and turn south in the same turn. As such I amend my plan such that right shoulder cannon holds fire for now. The flanker isn't an immediate concern, but the cannon autos are, we're already turning in the right direction to mitigate its flanking, and we should have the right hand and left shoulder reloaded before it can close.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 11, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

##vote
1. B; A; C
2. Plan Ralith

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

As Anastasi's commandos rush through the plaza finding mage throats to slit, you start your rotation, left fist slick with mud and blood from pounding at infantry, eye fixed on the roofline. "Strix! Fearcurse! To the East! I want Jane firing on Mark Center!"

A piercing cackle from the roof, which slows then halts abruptly.

"My queen!" Strix calls. "It's fizzled!"

You cuss loudly and colorfully, and sweep the Rumbler's massive right arm around, bringing the shield with it.

Just in time; as cannonball hits shield you feel the punch of vibratory force work its way up the Rumbler's arm to its very core. That would have been a painful connection.

You sweep Jane's hungry maw past the still-twitchy flanker, and point it all the way to the Southwest. You brace yourself.
"Mark center."

The world snaps white for a second and everyone gets just a little bit more deaf as Jackpot Jane slams back into the Rumbler's chest from the force of its projectile.

The cover around the Southwest Automaton evaporates, as does most of its right half.

Only three targets remain:

To the Southwest (Dead center):
Middle Range:
The flanker automaton, dashing west to keep itself in the dead zone Jackpot Jane just created. Aiming as it runs.

To the East (Behind you)
Long Range
The automaton you just blocked. Reloading and helping up:
The automaton you knocked over earlier. One of its arms is completely gone; too far away to tell whether that's enough to keep it from shooting.

Strix's fizzle chance is 45%. Pacitar's is 30%.
The ground battle is starting to tilt back to an EVEN MATCH as mage blood pools in the plaza.
The auto with the nobles onboard is still nowhere to be seen. If it gets far enough away the Rumbler is much too slow to catch up.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. Plan Ralith

MAGES
Strix: FEARCURSE same target
Pacitar: FORCESWITCH PORTAL to E in anticipation of incoming fire from damaged auto, direct towards SW auto. If it's realistic to wait until the enemy actually fires to do this and otherwise reserve the power, then do so.

MISC
Maneuver: Rotate left and begin accelerating eastward. Keep an eye out for the evacuating nobles.
Hand, R: Use shield to block SW until called upon to fire

CANNONS
Shoulder, R: Fire on SW auto, attempt to winch into close range
Shoulder, L: Fire on intact auto to E
Hand, L: Continue engaging ground targets of opportunity
Hand, R: Fire on SW auto if winch brings it into close range

The one-time flanker sounds like he's now be moving directly away from us, making an easy shot for the winch. The survivors to E should have pretty crap morale now that we've decimated the rest, so hopefully the FEARCURSE will push one over the edge even if our slug isn't super effective, leaving the other damaged and without support. If we can hunt down the evacuating nobles last seen moving E, we should, as this might save us long-term political drama, but winning the battle takes priority.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
##vote
1. Plan Ralith

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

##vote
1. Plan Ralith

All aboard the Ralith train. Toot toot.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
it is me, i am the planner :allears:

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

"Right shoulder," you say. "On Mark Right prepare to fire on--"

And then with a WHOOSH of displaced air two men appear in midair directly in front of you and crash to the ground.

"Volter Volter gently caress," the one on the other's back yells, as he spills off of his comrade and onto the floor.
The bigger one, his shaytan blood evinced by his pointed ears and a distinct bronze-orange glow to his skin, lands neatly on his back then instantly kips back up into a standing position.

"Hello!" his friend on the floor smiles brightly.

Crik must have come pulling himself up to the Head as soon as he heard your order cut off, because an arrow from his bow whistles through the air directly toward the shaytan-blood man.

Without even looking at it, he holds up a hand, and the arrow blinks off as if someone had thrown a switch.

A void-mage. With an evidently passable talent for Space to boot.
"PLEASE don't mind us." The smiling guy's teeth are gritted. He's clearly frightened out of his wits. "Just, uh-- we'll sit over here until you're not busy."
Behind them the southern automaton is leveling its cannon.

1 You say:
A STRIX! PACITAR! GET THESE INTRUDERS OUT OF MY THRONE ROOM!
B Who the gently caress are you?
C Take your friend and poof the hell out of here again before I have you both killed.
D Fine fine get out of the way. Right Shoulder, are you reading me?
E Oh, no no. You're going to the midsection to repel boarders. No free rides.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
lmao what the gently caress

Half naked guy out of nowhere? I think Vic's okay with this. Besides, maybe free mages. Every bandit queen loves free mages.

##vote
1. E; D; B; C; A

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ralith posted:

lmao what the gently caress

Half naked guy out of nowhere? I think Vic's okay with this. Besides, maybe free mages. Every bandit queen loves free mages.

##vote
1. E; D; B; C; A

Get out of my head Ralith

##vote
1. E; D; B; C; A

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
##vote
1. F.

F. Okay. I honestly think you're super hot, but I'm also super busy right now. So be a dear and help repel boarders in the midsection 'kay? (blow a kiss) Thanks a bunch, bye bye now.

If he doesn't leave immediately after that tell him "This wasn't a request. Now shoo, shoo. Mama has work to do!"

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
##vote
1. Plan RandomPaul

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
##vote
1. D; E; B; A; C

More mages more better.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Guys, guys, guys. These two look pretty smooth. LordVonEarlDuke, do we have a harem?

Edit: ##vote
1. Plan RandomPaul

I'm blind. Random Paul, good vote.

Wentley fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 11, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
##vote
1. Plan RandomPaul

The only correct option. :allears:

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

"Oh no no no. BOTH of you need to get to the midsection to repel those boarders," you say. "No free rides."

"I-- uh-- well, Madam Mantis, I'm not a warrior," stammers the guy on the floor.
"He stays here." The void mage's voice is melodiously monotone. "His name's--
"Look honestly you're super hot but I'm super busy and that wasn't a request," you say. "Grab a sword on your way down and ask someone to point you at the fight."
"Oh Inkiros." The cowardly one scrambles to his feet and looks to his Mage.
"Go, Pavo," the Mage says. "I'll watch your back."
"Oh Inkiros' left nut," Pavo elaborates, as he scuttles down the hatch.

"You too." You turn to the mage, who's backed up to the Rumbler's right eye window. "Quick."

He has a confused half-smile on his face. "You think I'm hot?"
"Later," you say. "Mama has a robot fight to win. Stop wasting my time and start wasting boarders."
"OK," the void mage says, and tips backward out the window, vanishing into a teleport as he goes.

"Ok. RIGHT SHOULDER." You refocus your will on turning the Rumbler round, and grab your communicator again. "Prepare to grapple southwest Auto on Mark Right. Right hand track it and prep to fire on Mark Hand. What else." You blink the strain from your eyes. "Left shoulder track the East cannon auto." The Rumbler breaks into a clumsy run as you take a breath, streaks of blood trailing from the crushed infantrymen on its fists. "Strix! Fearcurse on East cannon, same target! Pacitar! Forceswitch same target! Crik!"
Crik's head shoots up from watching the Void mage drop. "Yeah. That was weird. Yeah?"
"Follow those two down. If they do anything that would make you shoot them, shoot them."
"You got it." Crik leaps out the window, tether trailing behind him.

"Feng! Tell me you have your target!"
"Locked."
"Mark right!"
The winch hisses across the city and spears directly into the southwest flanker's leg.
"Reel, Feng! Ready on right hand!"
"Ready as poo poo, mama!" Toth, as rabid for carnage as ever.

The head

"Pacitar," Strix croons. "You make such charming grunts of concentration when you are fatigued."
"Says the witch whose spell just sundered." Pacitar hisses through clenched teeth, arms trembling as he channels his power.
Strix giggles as the witch-light flares up at her elbow and spreads toward her fingertips. "I'll wager you a warm pint of my blood this one works."
"For what purpose would I use your foul blood?"
"I guess we'll never know," Strix says, as the force of her gaining spell catches and curls the cloth of her armor.

A shimmer and a thrum in the fabric of reality indicate that Pacitar's spell has worked.
A flash of cold fire and the sudden stumbling of the East Automaton, and the lowering of its brass cannon, indicate that Strix's has as well.

"Mark left!"
The Eastern automaton has begun to turn away from you, its inarticulate head twisting and darting in a dumbshow display of fear. There's a destabilizing whoomph as the left shoulder cannon blasts it off its feet. The second you see it drop you swing the Rumbler's head around, looking to the harpooned Auto behind you. It slides helplessly across the plaza, crushing screaming men and crumbling walls alike, and kicking up a firestorm of sparks.

One-Xiaying, you count, as it courses closer, waving its cannon arm madly to try and get a shot on you. Two-Xiaying, you count, as Pacitar's forceswitch portal suddenly gashes open above it and deposits a cannonball onto its pelvis, forming a spiky impact crater but doing questionable damage. Three-Xiaying.

"Mark hand!"
Toth unloads on the grounded auto

and misses the Praetor's throne room, blasting its shoulder up in a plume of scrap and flame instead.
"SHITNUGGETS," he says, on open comms.
The impact jars it enough that its shot flies wide, but it's still operational and now you're dragging the loving thing behind you as you try to pick up speed. No way you'll hit full speed while it's scraping across the floor.

1 So you:
A Detach the rope and keep running. It'll be at your back but it's not like it's operational anyway. The ground forces can handle it.
B Hold for a second, stride over, and stomp it to scrap. Getting in close will be hazardous but it'll save you the cannon shot.
C Use your freshly loaded left hand cannon to put it out of your misery as you go.

Strix's fizzle chance is now an intimidating 60%. Pacitar's is 45%.
The ground battle is swinging YOUR FAVOR again as Anastasi finishes her mage cleanup and the infantry assault on the Rumbler becomes an evident meat grinder.
The only thing loaded on the Rumbler right now is its left hand; everything else is reloading.
The Winch won't be able to reload until it's cut loose its target.

You'll break into full speed next round if and only if you unwinch from the grounded Automaton now.

Three targets remain:

East (Dead center)
Middle range:
Fearcursed auto, writhing to gain footing or lose its terror.
Damaged auto Pacitar blocked, rising to its feet from a crouch and turning to try to retreat from you.

West (Behind you)
Close range:
Damaged cannon auto you speared, now dragging along behind you like a big pissed golden ball-and-chain.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
##vote
1. C

Both mages hold. Detach winch as soon as the auto has been shot and start running east.

We'll finish this when we've reloaded.

Waci fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 12, 2016

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
##vote

1.A

Are voting just for 1 or can we give other commands?

Just in case:

Run east, engage melee with right hand on fearcursed Automaton

Left hand fire on the retreating auto

Phoneposting, and not sure what to bold and what not to, sorry.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. C

Seems like the best idea. We don't seem to be in immediate need of alpha strike capability. The peasants aren't even remotely reliable at attacking these things and I'd rather not waste time catching up to the nobles.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

C Use your freshly loaded left hand cannon to put it out of your misery as you go.

You'll break into full speed next round if and only if you unwinch from the grounded Automaton now.

Can we do a pirouette turn off of the grounded automaton?

I feel like these plans could be combined to do some damage(from the handcannon, and likely from the grapple strain during the turn) and buy some distance to reload and play to our strengths.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
##vote
1. C; A

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
His reaction to the compliment was great.

##vote
1. C

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Another extract from Heartlock’s Journeys for y’all. This time the subject is the Shaytan, the magical race including Sketter, Crik, and half of the Void-Mage.

On The Shaytan

The Shaytan!

Among the unwashed and unlearnt majority the mere utterance of their name is provocation enough for terror, suspicion, and xenophobia.
The Shaytan, with their irridescent skin and their dark glasses! With their forked tongues and their origins cloaked in arcane mystery! Such foreign creatures must by their very genesis be marked as Other, outsider, and pariah.
The eyes that dwell behind the Shaytans’ customary eyepieces do their reputation little favor. Those unfortunate to see the uncovered face of a Shaytan will see there the dark inverse of the stars themselves: twin points of absolute, maddening darkness, so complete in their essential lack that they bring unto humanity nausea, fainting, and in the direst cases mind-shattering, gibbering insanity. The Shaytan in turn experienceswhat one described to me as “Pain so profound, throughout my whole being, that I believed in that moment I had been formed only to be tortured in this way by Hateful Inkiros.”
Surely such a being is anathema to goodness and convention; surely their place is liminal always, found in the dust and clay of the wastes.

And yet on many far flung journeys I have encountered Shaytan as honorable as any man. Perhaps I feel a kindred kindness toward them, as questing birds are seen to fly in formation; for in my archivist zeal, all of myself I throw into one purpose; and so too with the Shaytan.

There are neither children Shaytan, nor female Shaytan who might conceivably bear them. The prevailing chorus of murmurations suggest that the Shaytan springs into existence fully formed, as soon as the threads of fate and time fray in some way as to require their services to reknit them.

Each Shaytan then is an agent of one specific Great Purpose, the accomplishment of which they devote themselves to completely. Shaytan assassins are unrelenting until they or their quarry are dead; Shaytan scholars will burn every candle in ceation to its nub as they study feverishly in pursuit of some great breakthrough; and Shaytan bodyguards are incorruptible (so long as their purpose is truly to be a Bodyguard, and their role is not merely a ruse to attain their true end).

When a Shaytan completes their task, or in more pitiable casess fails it, they enter a state of deep melancholy, which few survive. As they pine away for a new purpose, they begin to physically vanish, inch by inch and limb by limb, as inexpliably as they were born into the world. Unless, that is, a new, worthier task arrives. Then the Shaytan can be seen to regain his passion and singleminded zeal, reassigning it to whatever new cause he has discovered.

Thus great visionaries, conquerors, and prophets attract Shaytan like moths to a radiant flame; and thus Shaytan themselves, should they live long enough to commence and complete many such tasks, may become Legends in their own right.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Huh. That certainly puts Crik and Sketter in an interesting light. Did they join the crew before or after us? What are the details of what happened to Crik's arm?

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Ralith posted:

Huh. That certainly puts Crik and Sketter in an interesting light. Did they join the crew before or after us? What are the details of what happened to Crik's arm?

They were both on the crew before Victoire took over. And Crik lost his arm as part of that purposeless fading thing Heartlock detailed.
Don't want to give TOO much more away since it'll be revealed in time.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

The Rumbler detaches his winch cable. It whip-snakes back into his shoulder with a hydraulic sigh.

He puts a foot on the Cannon Auto's chest to keep it from escaping and blasts its head open.

Smoke rises in manifold black banners from the flaming inner city of Anabas.
The lacquered gold of her palaces reflects the dancing fires.

There's no more active resistance to be found among her automatons. The bulk of the battle has ended.

1 And so you:
A Stay in the plaza here to mop up and support your ground forces
B Chase down the two damaged fleeing automata and finish them off
C Head in the direction the nobles were carried, searching for the automaton that carried them away

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. C; A

I assume we'll get Pacitar fixing up our battle damage once he's recharged a bit. We really need to get him to train more people in that repair spell in case something happens to him.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Supplemental material to go along with this lil' update:
Character reference for Strix. What I glance at / swatch from when I'm drawing her.
I have one of these for most of the characters, but for the most part they aren't great and are just there as refs. Strix's turned out ok though. Also gives you an opportunity to see what her unhooded face is like.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'm not sure I want to know whether she actually still has her eyelids or not.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

quote:

1 And so you:
A Stay in the plaza here to mop up and support your ground forces
Let's back up our homies.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

##vote
1. A; C; B

I'm not sure we can actually catch the nobles' mech.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Roland T. Dapperman posted:

I'm not sure we can actually catch the nobles' mech.
We can try, and if we fail we just come back. We don't even have to catch it per se, just get in shelling range, and our shelling range is long indeed.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
##vote
1 C;A

It was going east right? And the fleeing bots are also east of us? I'd like to propose a drive-by (walk-by?) shooting if the opportunity arises.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
##vote
1. B; C; A

Don't want them sneaking back up on us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wheres that stowaway space mage? If he can immobilize the noble auto he gets a place on the crew.

Then go and stomp it to bits.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

##vote
1 C;A

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Today another look at Pascuto’s SURVEY OF THE TARIC EMPIRES.
This time the subject is Satraia, his own homeland. Satraians onboard the Rumbler include Ghostly Anastasi, Strix the Pain Mage, and Rook, whose letter to his mother we read a while ago.

Satraia: Questions Answered

There are a few widespread prejudices and commonly asked questions about Satraians I would like to take this moment to clear up:

Is Satraia really the assassination capital of the World?
Yes and no. True: our turnover rate for politicians is higher than most. But it is important to know that for a Satraian to assassinate a non-Satraian is the epitome of gauche; and who of us really likes politicians?

Are Satraians all sociopaths?
Of course not! Any perceived emotionlessness or rudeness on the part of a Satraian is simply the result of our common upbringing with a specific valuation of pragmatism, forthrightness, and “calling”, as it were, “a spade a spade”. We of Satraia emphasize the ability to “take it on the chin” with regards to criticism; if we offend it is with good will!
To publicly display intense emotion is not the Satraian way; to look at the world with unjaded, realistic, and shrewd eyes is.

Do Satraians really eat bugs?
I detect in your tone an unwarranted disgust that speaks to a lack of experience with the surprisingly zesty and piquant world of insectile cuisine! You are gently reminded to keep an open mind.

How can I spot a Satraian?
If the Satraian doesn’t want you to, don’t try.
Satraians commonly have dark hair, pale skin, flat or upturned noses, and large, lidded eyes.

What should I keep in mind when visiting a Satraian Burg?
Take the time to visit the Satraian Forums, and listen to the lively discourse therein! If you decide yourself to pitch in, remember to stay as objective as possible; too much passion will result in mockery.
Please do watch to ensure you don’t bump into any of the Stiltwalkers that move above you through the streets. If it’s decided that you are the one responsible for the collision, any personal injury or lost merchandise will be your responsibility to compensate for.
It is a wise practice to keep your purse in a safe but inconspicuous place, where you may keep a hand on it at all times. If you are accosted by a Satraian burglar, do not take the casualness of their tone as a signal that they are not to be taken seriously. The Satraian demeanor is upbeat; it is not careless.

Is it true what they say about Satraian girls?
It certainly is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

##vote
1 C;A

• Locked thread