Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

C Use your freshly loaded left hand cannon to put it out of your misery as you go.

You'll break into full speed next round if and only if you unwinch from the grounded Automaton now.

Can we do a pirouette turn off of the grounded automaton?

I feel like these plans could be combined to do some damage(from the handcannon, and likely from the grapple strain during the turn) and buy some distance to reload and play to our strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Asking one of our mages to use the 'impossible luck' spell to nail one of the nobles automaton's legs instead of a more populous portion might be a good idea. I think he's on his last fizzle chance?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ralith posted:

I figure we turn it into some sort of protectorate. They pay us a reasonable tribute, we exercise veto power and wipe out threats.

For the record, only the nobility understands how to control the forcefield walls - this was a plot point with the prince in the opening, remember.

So that means to keep them, or use them, we need their murder or cooperation. The more we take alive, the bigger the chance one talks and then the power is in our hands.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Kind of all of those.

Reload, C, while doing B as the stick, with A being a priority. Or perhaps just treat the emperor the same as any common noble just to rub it in, since hey. They lost.

Also, perhaps don't let surprise portal mage near the people we don't want getting away. We can't quite trust him, now can we?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

"If you want time to bargain, beg, our negotiate a mercy..." *evil laugh* "..it's in your hands."
#b then e. See how the politician handles thinking on his feet in his final moments. who knows, emps could have something to say.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Waci posted:

Come on guys, we can celebrate. Drinks with a cute and potentially very useful mage is a great way to do that.

I feel like the iron mantis is evil genius enough to see this is someone trying to get on her good side early for a break later, and possibly jaded enough to think it is so even if is just a dude responding to her own shirtless poo poo-talk from earlier.

So with that in mind, I offer this twist.

##vote
1. C. Season with others to taste.
Plus a raise: "I'm very busy, but The Rumbler could use a little decoration, so I'll cut to the chase. Less shirt, less rent, and sure why not to your offer.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

##Vote
1. B;D;F

Rebuilding is one thing that needs to happen if we want to keep the town. Diplomacy and using it as the excuse for subterfuge is a worthy maneuver.

With the ongoing social/political upheaval, what do we think of creating some sort of knightly/feudal class of citizens with regards to land-owning in exchange for duties involving automata and protecting the town?
Since the iron mantis is all about fighting to resolve disputes, it seems like a potentially interesting way to forge a sort of common ground among the noble and commoner classes and the crew.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

If you guys want to really roll up your sleeves and turn Talos into Victoire-ia 2 (ho ho) I'll try and go with it; I'm just Not Good at that sort of thing and tend not to read it, either, so I don't have much experience there.

Not especially. It should be a backdrop for mecha adventures, not the main thrust of the game.

Figuring out how the iron mantis deals with her conquests and leaves her mark on the world is totally her, but it doesn't need to dominate the storytelling figuring that out. The response to all that was perfect.

##Vote
1. C;B. Curveball,
see how he replies when not being told exactly what to do.
2. D,A,G. -> H, C, F,E

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

##Vote
1. D, C, B.
2. A, E.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slaan posted:

No! You fool! You fell into their trap and are doomed to draw animu robots forever :ohdear:

Ro-ro-ro your bot! Gently down the stream! Merrily, merrily, meeerily, anime is but a dream.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ralith posted:

My goal is to produce simple, cheap shells that nonetheless improve our combat effectiveness drastically. I also don't want to go way overboard, so don't invest in more than two research projects

Crediting you for inspiration here.

##Vote
1. A.

"Lets see. Up til now, we've had ideas for rounds that do something special when they impact. What about a Shell that is a container for a big Spell, not a High Enchantment? I was thinking about your tar burst, and thought 'why stop there?'"

"I'd also like a shell that can move itself into the cannon after it's cleaned. I don't want to be caught in that kind of battle again, outnumbered and waiting to reload, and I'd rather not tamper with cannons themselves. Lucky, there's a space mage aboard for a trip ... If 'my paramour' is willing, that is. I'd like you to stand in and observe the process, Strix and Pacitar are talented and wise, and I think you might like peers that are mages.

Two birds, one stone. Help get Volter a) with some new companions and b) experimenting with magic in a more controlled, yet not scipture and monk strict environment. Getting him to bond with people other than the friend he came with - worth it alone. Making him feel useful with unique talents? Double worth it.
Tar shell into general spell shell idea. Something we can cast the day before and store for an upcoming battle with a fresh mage and a banked spell would be ace. From tarpits to bat swarms to lucky shots, its versatile and might actually be cheaper than a full witchfire shell.
As for the second: Reloading is our biggest weakness right now. It might be expensive, but it buys time - Not many opportunities to do that.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Outrail posted:

Void shell. Use our void mage's specialty to create shells that void organic material. [/b] Better than tar because there's less of a cleanup job and it works as a great terror weapon.

The only reason I didn't vote for this, and was also seeing other avenues of research:
This sounds good, but its lynchpin is an untried volter. He's not exactly OURS and a full, drilled yes-ma'am no questions asked member of the crew yet.

When we're talking baby steps to get him on our side, I was kind of leaning away from 'maayyybbbe we shouldn't ask him to make Weapons of Magical Destruction right off the bat, since that seems like the kind of thing he might balk at and start backpedaling.'

I mean, yeah, its a neat idea. But the limiting factor isn't 'can we do it' or 'is it possible'. Its 'is Volter able, willing, and reliable'.

Just my two cents. People may want to consider altering their votes if this is persuasive enough to warrant it, since I think its a winning option right now. Definitely something to do once volter is committed, but is he?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

##vote
1. D

Honestly, the in-character concensus on ideas is more interesting than the threads preferences. What do the people working on the project think of it all?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

##Vote
"Is there any reason we would WANT to hunt a dragon, for sport or for profit?"

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

##Vote
1.C,B. D

On foot recon in case of ambush - maybe leave off the threatening second portion.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

B I want him along, Volter. We can look after him.

B. "Why, I didn't realize you two had such depths! why didn't you saw you were a researcher before?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Is this adventure going to make a return some day? Great stuff in here. Hope you're doing okay, LordVonEarlDuke.

• Locked thread