Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Big Bull is a big bro, and I'm pretty sure he did voices for Dawn of War with the Chaos Marines at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Ulvirich posted:

Big Bull is a big bro, and I'm pretty sure he did voices for Dawn of War with the Chaos Marines at the least.

Looks a bit like a Noise Marine at the very least.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Pizdec posted:

Them finishers. So Platinum. :allears:

That was a nice one-two combo at 3:45 with you throwing the flamethrower guy at a group and Leo splattering the remaining survivor with a tire. Kinda makes me wish the game had Story Mode co-op.

BTW. Is it ever explained why cities have a 'transform' function? Is this a guerrilla crossover with TF: Devastation?

I have literally no clue why Altambra transforms. None.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ulvirich posted:

Zain posted:

Looks a bit like a Noise Marine at the very least.

Big Bull's VA has only voiced "additional" roles in most of the media he's been in, which is a really big shame. Anarchy Reigns seems really good at bringing out good voice talent in a lot of ways. Steven Blum's voice acting later in the game is the best I've heard in his entire career, and they got the perfect voice actor for Max, who had only voiced one other game character in his life, and has done mostly live action work.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Currently uploading a fixed version.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 26, 2016

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Alright, episode 4 gives us

Merciless, not to be confused with Kill 'em All, which has the same backing track for some reason. It also has Mortified, which is pretty drat good!

e: 5 gives us Days of Old and My Pride. Feel free to point out if I miss any, I'm purely going by ear here.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 26, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

This might be a bit... Dumb to ask but Anarchy Reigns I'm assuming takes place... Before the events of Madworld? Are they even the same universe?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
That's been something people have debated about in the past. Because of a certain someone's existence down the road, I'm tempted to say same characters, different world.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A Bystander posted:

That's been something people have debated about in the past. Because of a certain someone's existence down the road, I'm tempted to say same characters, different world.

Zain posted:

This might be a bit... Dumb to ask but Anarchy Reigns I'm assuming takes place... Before the events of Madworld? Are they even the same universe?

It's definitely a different universe. If you need absolute proof of this, Leonard shares the same name as the antagonist of MadWorld, and they are most certainly not the same person. On top of that, the character arcs in Max Anarchy deal with some crucial plotpoints of MadWorld, even subverting them.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Looks like you accidentally left in an alternate boss fight bit just before the regular fight with baron.
Other than that, great stuff so far. This game is rather bizarre! Got some good laughs out of baron

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Looks like you accidentally left in an alternate boss fight bit just before the regular fight with baron.
Other than that, great stuff so far. This game is rather bizarre! Got some good laughs out of baron

That's... strange. Let me look into that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Footage from a failed recording got in there, I'm uploading a fixed version now. Thank you for pointing that out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cybrid is a loving fantastic word.

Edit: Also, why does Nikolai have such huge robo-sleeves?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 26, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Samovar posted:

Cybrid is a loving fantastic word.

I laughed when I read that. Cybrid was actually used by a few other works of fiction, but Max Anarchy seems to say it a lot more than most.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Here we are, the showdown with The Baron, now without editing mishaps

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Now, Baron here is a great illustration of two aspects of AR, aside from its general goofiness.

The first is the translation. His dialogue is so effortlessly cheesy and the jokes flow so well that you forget the game wasn't written in English in the first place. And translation is like sound design or coding - if you don't notice it, that usually means it's good.
This isn't surprising, of course - Platinum Games in general takes great care with the localization - but just imagine the dialogue being a stilted wreck like FF13. Just imagine Jack saying crap like "Moms are tough". It would've been a completely different experience.
Game localization in general is a thankless job (because, again, you don't notice it when it's good), so I try to give credit when it's due, like with Nier, or Lost Odyssey, or, again, anything by Platinum. The translators were Nick Des Barres and JP Kellams, so kudos to them.

The second is this:

darealkooky posted:

Platinum made a game that was very obviously geared towards online multiplayer and proceeded to make that online multiplayer play like total trash between weird minor bugs, huge character imbalances and completely awful netcode. The single player felt like madworld but even more repetitive and without the funny-if-repetitive commentary.
Baron is the loving face of the sloppy, botched mess that is this game's netcode. Glitches, broken collision detection, and infinites were commonplace, but this fucker in particular could one-shot KO you with his heavy power attack. Apparently lag made the game think that the attack animation was longer than in was, and the damage was calculated based on the length of the animation. Let me stress this - this wasn't some arcane infinite of the sort that always slip by the testers because you need to be a savant with four arms to perform it. One move, in a character's most basic moveset was enough to decimate all the other players if there was a tiniest bit of lag.

PG is a company is known for single-player experiences, and it shows. The single-player in this game, though slightly below Platinum's usual standards, is still very polished and involved for a multiplayer-focused title. The flipside to this is that, unfortunately, their first attempt at extensive multiplayer was kind of a debacle, so much so that there was never a second attempt (to my knowledge).

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Anarchy Reigns: A few strong men, a sea of dipshits, and perverts

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The worst part is that Baron isn't even the biggest threat in an online setting, but he's still an rear end in a top hat. It also sucks that Jack, one of the main characters of the story, doesn't have any special tricks on-line or off- and is made the weakest as a result. Granted, that doesn't say much because everyone could kill you in a couple of hits, but he has to really work for his kills compared to everyone else.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I see that the Baron has read those Punisher Max comics.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

And this concludes our tour of Altambra

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
music is MDK (which I personally find an uncharacteristically weak output for Vstylez) and Here we go

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Checks out as a Platinum game.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

HardDisk posted:

Checks out as a Platinum game.

Also, that boob jiggle at 8:00. :captainpop: Prime gif material, I'd make one myself if I knew how (Gooncam doesn't work on my rig).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I see Sasha's been playing Bayonetta.

Also, why does Russian dude need a cyber-beard?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Samovar posted:

I see Sasha's been playing Bayonetta.

Also, why does Russian dude need a cyber-beard?

His chin could've been broken, or maybe he just wanted armor there to prevent that situation from ever occurring.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Baron Pierce, fresh off the 3rd Street. :allears: I'm digging this VO cast.

Edit: The downed cybrid who got it's head and spinal column torn off by the White team leader has the same spine juice as the cyborgs in Metal Gear Solid Revengeance.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 28, 2016

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

I played this game, but only beaten White Side, because I tried playing as Big Bull after Leo and got wrecked, and then got distracted by other games or something.
So because of that I didn't know that apparently they changed Baron's name from "Blacker Baron"? I mean I guess it makes sense, especially considering the origins of the name.

Also those russian accents. Oh they're so bad. Classic

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

dasmause posted:

I played this game, but only beaten White Side, because I tried playing as Big Bull after Leo and got wrecked, and then got distracted by other games or something.
So because of that I didn't know that apparently they changed Baron's name from "Blacker Baron"? I mean I guess it makes sense, especially considering the origins of the name.

Also those russian accents. Oh they're so bad. Classic

Oh, he's still Blacker Baron (stop starin'), it's embroidered on the back of his jacket. They just call him Baron in dialog, I assume, because nobody but the Baron himself is willing to call him by that ridiculous moniker.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Here's the multiplayer Survival Mode

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh, he's still Blacker Baron (stop starin'), it's embroidered on the back of his jacket. They just call him Baron in dialog, I assume, because nobody but the Baron himself is willing to call him by that ridiculous moniker.

I thought Black Baron and Blacker Baron were two separate characters after Black Baron was finally killed in MadWorld.

I also like that Blacker Baron's weapons are called the "Super Sexy Fists of Fire".

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Hoss Corncave posted:

I thought Black Baron and Blacker Baron were two separate characters after Black Baron was finally killed in MadWorld.

I also like that Blacker Baron's weapons are called the "Super Sexy Fists of Fire".

Black Baron and Blacker Baron are two different characters simply because Black Baron isn't actually black, nationality-wise

Yep

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Here's the multiplayer Survival Mode

I just checked, and am very sad that Cybrid Bar Bot isn't playable.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I just checked, and am very sad that Cybrid Bar Bot isn't playable.

His moveset is a lot different from normal characters. He doesn't really have light/heavy attacks, so making him playable would be a bit of a challenge.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's tough being the fastest

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I'd play Anarchy Kart Racing.

Shame you weren't able to get proper multiplayer going. :(

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

I'd play Anarchy Kart Racing.

Shame you weren't able to get proper multiplayer going. :(

I have somewhat higher hopes for the other modes.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

God I love the soundtrack of this game~ It really gets you pumped.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Zain posted:

God I love the soundtrack of this game~ It really gets you pumped.

They really went all out. MadWorld had similar musical stylings with some neat tracks as well. But it's nothing compared to Anarchy.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Speaking of which, we've got

Fast Lane and We All Soldiers.

Man, I am having a lot of fun revisiting this soundtrack. :syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

GamesAreSupernice posted:

They really went all out. MadWorld had similar musical stylings with some neat tracks as well. But it's nothing compared to Anarchy.

Yeah they really stepped it up from Madworld. Personally I feel like Soul was the only noteworthy track from that game but so far I'm getting a lot of tracks that will be added to my playlist from Anarchy Reigns.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 29, 2016

• Locked thread