Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Seyser Koze posted:

Wasn't this his very first soundtrack, too?

Anyway, I never got past box-cover-boss, so I'll be keeping an eye on this. Good fun!
Yep. It's really muted in certain spots (I hate the jungle's ambiance) but other than that it's really distinct and kinda, melancholy I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are you going to mention the stuff you passed over? Like with the bazooka just now?

York and Zach

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are you going to mention the stuff you passed over? Like with the bazooka just now?

I'm not sure what else to say about the bazooka; it was a powerful ranged weapon that is now broken. If I've missed something, as per usual, feel free to point it out.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
How does a bazooka get damaged, anyway? It's a loving tube.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
While I did like the game, I always felt at least a bit disappointed because I (and pretty much everyone else) kept comparing it to Secret of Mana. Still, it was a nice game on it's own merits, but it did have it's bugs(quite a lot of them, if memory serves) and odd design decisions.

As for the soundtrack, I'm pretty lukewarm to it, save for a few tracks that'll pop up later in the game.

Marty and Biff. Might as well keep the period movie references rolling.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

How does a bazooka get damaged, anyway? It's a loving tube.
Bent out of shape in the crash? If the front half of your bazooka is twisted at a 90-degree angle, I don't think it makes the rockets fire straight up. Besides, bones clubs are cool.

"The jawbone of an rear end is just as dangerous a weapon today as it was in Samson's time."
--Richard "Tricky Dick" Nixon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can skip the cutscene fight and keep your bazooka. You avoid losing health, because any damage you took carries over from the fight. The bazooka has one shot, but I can't think of a game for its time, where skipping a cutscene rewards the player. A very minor thing.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Marty and his dog Biff.

this is good, your character even has the same jacket.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's nothing more to the Bazooka here to show other than the fight skip. Everything else dealing with it is technically spoilers.

Unoriginal One posted:

While I did like the game, I always felt at least a bit disappointed because I (and pretty much everyone else) kept comparing it to Secret of Mana. Still, it was a nice game on it's own merits, but it did have it's bugs(quite a lot of them, if memory serves) and odd design decisions.

I like Secret of Evermore but it's a lot rougher than Secret of Mana strangely enough (despite being the more complete game of the two.) It's unavoidable comparing them since they were literally built on the same engine. It's not just the ring menu, it's the charge system, movement, etc.

Where Mana had problems with it's story due to being a game that was forced to squish itself to 60% of it's intended size, Evermore has a pretty decent story. Mana's mechanics were simple and implemented well while Evermore's are complex and there is one particular design decision that's just... Mindboggling for why they did it. It'll be a while before Leave can mention it. The magic system's neat although it can get annoying for one particular boss.

Most of Evermore's roughness comes with the bevy of 'good on paper, mediocre in practice' puzzles that saturate the game. Especially in a time before GameFAQS was readily available to everyone. It's the main reason why I decided not to LP this, I really, really hate a couple of the mazes in this game. One unreasonably so, the other... :argh:

Overall Evermore succeeds at being a different breed of RPG for the time, both to it's merit (the aesthetic, magic system, story) and to it's detriment (puzzles and mazes oh my!)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Like zoinks! Jumping on the Shaggy and Scooby :bandwagon:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Cult film references eh? How about Max and Dog.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm going with Shadow and Interceptor

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Going completely against the grain of worthwhile references, how about Beavis and Butt-head? :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
How are we even discussing this? This kid is clearly a former train robber whose left his best friend to die and stumbled upon a magic village where he fell in love with a local girl, boned her, made friends with her dog, took the dog, and became a mercenary after the girl had the kid. It's written all over his face.

Shadow and Interceptor

EDIT: Good point, thanks.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 25, 2016

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

How are we even discussing this? This kid is clearly a former train robber whose left his best friend to die and stumbled upon a magic village where he fell in love with a local girl, boned her, bonded with her dog, took the dog, and became a mercenary after the girl has the kid. It's written all over his face.

Shadow and Interceptor

uhhhh...you might want to rephrase the part about the dog, I had to do a triple take.

I read it as "Fell in love with a local girl, boned her, boned her dog"

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The hero is Lesser Dog and his faithful companion is Greater Dog.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

EponymousMrYar posted:

they were literally built on the same engine. It's not just the ring menu, it's the charge system, movement, etc.

Actually, Brian Fehdrau (one of the lead designers on the game) stated in an interview that they reverse-engineered the SoM engine in order to make SoE. All of the mechanics are the same but they "feel" different.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The running aspect is greatly improved over SoM.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Chris and Leon.
What? He referenced Resident Evil first!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MachuPikacchu posted:

Actually, Brian Fehdrau (one of the lead designers on the game) stated in an interview that they reverse-engineered the SoM engine in order to make SoE. All of the mechanics are the same but they "feel" different.

Huh, interesting. I can certainly see them doing that, the mechanics are different enough to have been reverse engineered.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Leavemywife posted:

I don't have a good link for this one. There's this, but that looks like it sucked.

As someone who rented that game once to see what it was about I can confirm for you that it indeed does suck. A lot.

Also, Shadow and Interceptor.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Leave has once again asked me to tally votes on account of him being a lazy bastard (:v:), sooo... It looks like the Scooby Doo vote was out-bandwagoned by York and Zach of Deadly Premonition fame! :toot:

Edit: \/ Motherf-

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 25, 2016

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Tell you guys what; Eevee did all that hard work, but take another day to vote. We'll give it until midnight tomorrow before the votes are finalized. 21 hours, roughly.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So it's not too late for Shaggy and Scooby! Zoinks!

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

We're gonna be Shaggy and Scooby.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Edit: \/ Motherf-

I'm voting Zach and York, not because I particularly care what name wins, but because it looks like Leavemywife is trying to commit electoral fraud by extending the deadline when his favorite isn't winning. :colbert: (I kid. Mostly.)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Name them both a Profanity

Just kiddin', do Shaggy & Scooby.

This is a pretty great game. Level layout relies a bit too heavily on mazes, but other than that, the concepts are solid and well-done, and the whole thing is just bursting with atmosphere.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
York & Zach. :colbert:

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
York and Zach :dukedog:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

After fininshing in a 10-way tie for 12th place in early primary states, Pete & Pete announced earlier today that they are suspending their campaign. The duo urged their supporter to get out the vote for Shaggy & Scooby.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Shadow and Interceptor need to buy dog food

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The hero is Lesser Dog and his faithful companion is Greater Dog.

Seconding this vote for G. Dog, and his buddy L.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Shaggy & Scooby :colbert:

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
I'd suggest McFly and Einstein, but this late in the vote, they'd have no chance of gaining any ground.
there's no way in hell Morty and Snowball will win either.

So I'll vote on something that'll make a difference
Shaggy and Scooby

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I want to change my vote to York and Zach because I goddamn hate Scooby Doo.

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.
York & Zach.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I prefer York and Zach.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think I like York and Zach.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I'll throw in a vote for York and Zach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I do believe here that York and Zach win out over everything else here. Shame. Ah well.

• Locked thread