Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Clearly our protagonist and fine product of the 90s is Dawg, and, well, his faithful hound only responds to "Here Boy", so he made it official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Leavemywife posted:

I remember you mentioning you did game design; would you say that's good design? It gives the player incentive to not obsessively hunt for every piece of treasure, but allows for extra items and the like, but at the same time, it offers them no incentive to search for treasure, which means less exploration, which could lead to trouble down the line due to lower levels, and the possibility that you've created a large, fabulous looking map, in which most players won't explore it, because there's no real incentive to do so.

Well, you know how it is. One man's lack of sweet loot that levels you up naturally thus avoiding grinding is another man's extra surprise bonuses when you do have to go grinding.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You may say that our hero could have picked a better quote from "Mars Needs Lumberjacks", but honestly, if you're enjoying a movie called "Mars Needs Lumberjacks" you probably don't know good dialogue from a hole in the ground.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so that's just... some random dude who decided to live out in the Bugmuck and be an alchemist there. You keep doin' you, brother.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I went back and looked, and the alchemy merchants' stock seems to be expanding as you learn new formulas. Does the one back in town offer all of those things for sale now, too?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw yeah, healing spell. Those are always useful to find.

...kind of makes you wonder why you'd bother with healing items, though. Isn't your inventory for those kind of limited?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Clearly how it works is, first you eat a ghost pepper. Then you drink some water. Then by the time you can see again the rock is somewhere else. It must have levitated!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You have to go back here every time you want a new Pepper? That... seems like it could get annoying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...an elaborate series of chutes. Oh boy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, uh... monsters? Monsters from the id?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if we're going to get an anchor weapon and use it like a zipline on that rope.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, civilization has progressed far enough for people to create armies and conquer other lands! That's what progress does, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that the little musical riff that plays when you're cutting through that building to get to the inaccessible part of the market has just enough time to do something melodically interesting before you're out the other end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I figured we'd have gotten something to zipline with. That sword doesn't seem well-suited to traversal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, I have to wonder -- things only seem to be getting weird now that we've stepped into the machine. I wonder if it somehow learned the concept of an evil twin from our love of bad movies?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Atlas seems of very dubious utility since you can hardly level it up without some significant downtime.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Leavemywife posted:

York spins around like the Star Wars kid, but the biggest difference is that this is effective and cool, and doesn't involve ridiculous props. Whether or not he's making lightsaber noises under his breath is still up to debate.

...no. No, it really isn't.

Well, to be fair, he's actually making the sound effect of Captain Starblazer's signature photon cutlass from "Procyon On 50 Credits A Day", but the principle is the same.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, why would he abandon his camp now, of all times?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tiny has Big Muscles. Tiny has Big Vocabulary. Tiny does not have degree in aeronautical engineering. Tiny just throw.

Tiny only inaccurate rubber-band-powered catapult in game of life.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the dog is turning into what the local good/evil twin expects a dog to be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...has it been at all worth it to use any conventional armor shop this game?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EponymousMrYar posted:

Every good con has to have one truth in it so that everyone buys into the farce.

Mungo also strangely fits in with everything: it's just a head, it has horn-like hair/hair like horn (or tusks) and a piggish countenance.

As a fake-out it's pretty nice. I just hope whatever cage they have to contain Mungola is still in place.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This entire series of misadventures has just been our dog dragging us into one mess after another, hasn't it?

Not that a boy would ever abandon his dog.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, York is really just kind of... too much of a patsy, I guess? I mean, you don't want somebody who throws adventure the double deuce, either, but he'll listen to anybody.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was expecting we'd have to fight an entire chessboard, but that's really more of a Shining Force thing, isn't it?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of odd to just... fight the same thing three times. I guess Gothica is going to be Land of Disappointing Boss Fights?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. I figured the bazooka wouldn't come back until a more tech-level-appropriate setting.

Then again with exactly one piece of ammo it may as well not have.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess Gomi doesn't care about the lesser dragons we slaughtered on the way up, just his "friend" Sterling?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang! Glorious Mode 7. It almost seemed like we'd never really get there, at least not when we were actually steering around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Just casually shooting down Tinker's dreams of exploration. That's our boy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I guess we needed a reason to pay a second visit to Gothica, since when we were building the rocket we didn't really need to go "back" there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Shardix posted:

Zach did become a toaster, you just never see him until you hit Prehistoria and he turns into a wolf.

In response to this, you hear a metallic bark.

Ha! That's a pretty nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of interesting that Carltron was a balancing influence for the world. That's some SMT-level metaphysics.

• Locked thread