Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Marty and his dog Biff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"I'm ready for anything" is actually the only line from Mars Needs Lumberjacks. It makes fantastic use of posture and camerawork to convey everything without words, making that point before the showdown where you actually hear Captain Meldrock's voice incredibly striking.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

RPG hoarding instinct: if I can do something for free, I'm not paying to do it in case I need my limited resources later. Come to think of it, I hated using anything that cost MP in other games unless it was on a boss. I'm starting to think I was kind of bad at video games as a kid...

Everyone does this. It's a human hoarding instinct that we need to be taught to avoid if a game wants us to avoid it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, it's not so much that it was INTENTIONALLY unwinnable, and more that it's an interesting study for game design and chaos theory because relatively subtle changes can make it much more or less difficult to win. Whether the variant of the board has a large chute just before the end, or a ladder to the goal on the row below it, for example. Putting a ladder 4 spaces in front of a chute makes it more likely than one would expect that the player will skip that chute, stuff like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

Technically, someone will always win (barring a truly improbable run of die rolls combined with the time limit of life), and since the game is just dice-rolling, the only way the game can be made easier or harder for a specific player is if it changes the (dis)advantage the player has due to their place in the turn rotation. (That said, in a game like this, where players can't interfere with each other, I believe the players who move earlier always have the advantage.)

Not that this has anything to do with Secret of Evermore. I'm just a huge pedant.

Fair enough. If I'd had my pedant hat on (I left it around here somewhere...) I'd have said length of game rather than difficulty.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

It's worth noting that one of the actual strongest men in the world goes by Tiny, so maybe the joke isn't as played out as you think.

The ironic nickname is totally a staple of the nickname modus operandi. It's how I wound up with Brewski (tweaked when I decided to use it as an actual webname). If a nickname isn't a dumb joke or embarrassing moment, it isn't a proper nickname.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You know, for being a trope so big that it's made into a joke in pretty much every crime show ever, I've never actually seen a piece of fiction where the butler actually did it.

Clue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

He butles, therefore he's the butler.

• Locked thread