Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

BlackArtistik posted:

Finn and Jake

This is one of my top-five favorite games of all time. I played this game to bits when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

EponymousMrYar posted:

they were literally built on the same engine. It's not just the ring menu, it's the charge system, movement, etc.

Actually, Brian Fehdrau (one of the lead designers on the game) stated in an interview that they reverse-engineered the SoM engine in order to make SoE. All of the mechanics are the same but they "feel" different.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

You won't really have to scrounge, though. Money becomes plentiful as the game goes on, and you'll be able to buy as many ingredients as you want. Also, there are so many spells that you will always have access to the resources you need to use at least some of them. In fact, you're going to want to rotate your alchemy list to incorporate new spells anyway, for reasons that we will see later.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Spoiler'd just in case:

Eventually healing items serve as a backup when you're low on ingredients for healing alchemy, or when you need to use those ingredients to cast other spells.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It took me AGES to find the swamp when I first played this game. For some reason I just didn't see the path that you needed to take to get there.

EDIT: Yes, it's fairly easy to just stick with the Horn Spear for the entire game. You don't spend enough time with the other spears to level them up quickly like you do with this one.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

gently caress Frippos. I have nothing else to say about this part of the game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yep, Crush kind of shows that Alchemy is not that well-implemented. I love the Alchemy system, but the fact that Crush is the most viable attack formula for so long makes leveling up the other formulas into a bit of a chore.

That said, Antiqua is my favorite area in the game and greyhound!Zach rules.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Couple things:

1. Had you bought the Spiked Collar as soon as you washed up on Crustacia, Zach would have been able to equip it when you control him after jumping out of the fountain in Nobilia. Video game inventory systems!

2. If you look at the audience in the Colosseum, you might find that there are some interesting characters making a cameo...

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The poodle rules so hard. His bark is a tiny, high-pitched yelp that deals a 900 HP bite.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

It's a shame that Gothica is like 80% mazes because the Antiqua/Gothica mid-game is my favorite part of SoE. I always felt that Gothica could use a little bit more fleshing out (and better weapon distribution; alas).

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Meaty Ore posted:

That makes two of us. It's probably the only reason I haven't pulled the game out to play in so long, internet maps or not.

Make that three.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yes! My favorite track in the entire game. I used to wander around Ebon Keep without doing anything just to hear it.

Also, I legitimately had never heard of Cecil when I first played SoE. If you tell him you've never heard of him, he keeps bringing up more of his adventures to try and jog your memory.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Jesus, that's how you get to that hidden passage?! I can't even remember how much time I spent bumping into walls trying to figure that out.

Also, and I might be misremembering, but isn't there a way to access the Verminator's lair somehow?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

There's a way to know the code for the secret boss. One of the bots in the shop area (which you haven't shown) tells it to you.

MachuPikacchu fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

York asks himself whether the entire adventure was all just a figment of his imagination before seeing the sign on the movie theater. I like to think that now he'll go on about that movie in his daily life.

"Hey York can you get the chess board?"

"Yikes! This is just like the battle against the Foot Knight in 'The Secret of Evermore'!"

"York, we have a rat problem, please call the exterminator."

"Wow! Just like the ferocious battle against the Verminator in--"

• Locked thread