Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I had an idea to do an LP of this with lots of updates being movie references.
However, I am rather horrible at watching movies so...

Shaggy and Scooby fit surprisingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's nothing more to the Bazooka here to show other than the fight skip. Everything else dealing with it is technically spoilers.

Unoriginal One posted:

While I did like the game, I always felt at least a bit disappointed because I (and pretty much everyone else) kept comparing it to Secret of Mana. Still, it was a nice game on it's own merits, but it did have it's bugs(quite a lot of them, if memory serves) and odd design decisions.

I like Secret of Evermore but it's a lot rougher than Secret of Mana strangely enough (despite being the more complete game of the two.) It's unavoidable comparing them since they were literally built on the same engine. It's not just the ring menu, it's the charge system, movement, etc.

Where Mana had problems with it's story due to being a game that was forced to squish itself to 60% of it's intended size, Evermore has a pretty decent story. Mana's mechanics were simple and implemented well while Evermore's are complex and there is one particular design decision that's just... Mindboggling for why they did it. It'll be a while before Leave can mention it. The magic system's neat although it can get annoying for one particular boss.

Most of Evermore's roughness comes with the bevy of 'good on paper, mediocre in practice' puzzles that saturate the game. Especially in a time before GameFAQS was readily available to everyone. It's the main reason why I decided not to LP this, I really, really hate a couple of the mazes in this game. One unreasonably so, the other... :argh:

Overall Evermore succeeds at being a different breed of RPG for the time, both to it's merit (the aesthetic, magic system, story) and to it's detriment (puzzles and mazes oh my!)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

MachuPikacchu posted:

Actually, Brian Fehdrau (one of the lead designers on the game) stated in an interview that they reverse-engineered the SoM engine in order to make SoE. All of the mechanics are the same but they "feel" different.

Huh, interesting. I can certainly see them doing that, the mechanics are different enough to have been reverse engineered.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There is an incentive to explore the map the first time though though: if you forget to pick up a couple things, they're two pains and a quarter to go back and get.
The game is under the assumption that you'll thoroughly explore any area you find yourself in the first time you get there.

Occasionally it throws in a dick move with that too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Keeping ingredients seems like it might be a pain in the rear end, but I can always get behind a game with Ultima-style spellcasting.

It's fairly decent. Unlike Ultima where it's kind of pain to go to places to pick up middling amounts of a certain reagent and then have to wait for it to respawn, Evermore sidesteps that by having ingredients pretty much everywhere.
I want to say of everywhere you can go in the game, the amount of areas that don't have an alchemy ingredient, whether in a pot/chest etc. or on the ground numbers in the low teens.

It enough to where there's only two situations where you'll run out: in the beginning where you're strapped for cash and can't buy them from vendors, or you forgot to stock up at a vendor and ran out because of it.

As such Alchemy ends up pretty much the same place as Ultima reagents do, only it takes a little bit for you to get there :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there an elemental system in this game? It's been so long I can't remember now. Like, are some things resistant to flash because it's fire based?
Sort of. As far as I'm aware there are only three types of damage in the game: damage that cares about defense, damage that cares about magic defense and damage that doesn't care about anything.
The first two damage types are spread out fairly evenly, for example Flash targets magic defense and Hard Ball hits normal. The third type is pretty rare though a few alchemy formulas can do that kind of damage.

Enemy defenses are a bit more nebulous. There are no 'huge bricks of Def/MDef' types like Flans for the FF fans, although there are some where you'll notice that your physical attacks/alchemy formulas are doing noticeably less damage than other alchemy formulas.

It's entirely possible if not actually recommended to kill everything with your weapon/dog attacks in the game, bosses included.

MagusofStars posted:

For whatever it's worth, I seem to recall Flash being a little (key word little) better than Hard Ball, though it's balanced a bit by the fact Flash requires 2/1 ingredients instead of Hard Ball's 1/1.
Even then Hard Ball wins out because clay and crystals end up a bit cheaper than oil and wax (mostly because oil is DANG expensive.)

They're both intro formulas though, they have really bad growths.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 5, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The 'entrance' to the big bug is the rear of the bug. Look at the wall behind Thraxx after you blow him up: two eyes and a large mouth :smuggo:

It's kind of surprising that Strong Heart went into the big bug for alchemy ingredients because the place is actually pretty lousy for them. Bugmuck itself is way better for that.

Thraxx pro strat: if you wedge yourself to the left or right (and hitboxes cooperate) you can keep yourself from getting tossed out of his ribcage, allowing another hit on the heart.
You can theoretically do this indefinitely until he dies and leave the maggots to your dog (who should be killing them in one hit, if not you're way underleveled) although it kind of relies on the ribcage's hitboxes cooperating. I think my highest streak is 3 hits on the heart before the game decides that's enough and I either get stuck in the ribcage itself or pushed out.

The arms generally aren't worth it despite having a lot of XP, they're a royal pain to hit with anything except alchemy and with 250 hp combined with your weak alchemy formulas it's far more likely you'll run out of ingredients before you kill them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Broken Box posted:

Yeah you don't want to miss out on the Acid Rain alchemist. It's a crappy spell but he's the cheapest ingredient merchant in the entire game, so he's worth remembering.
I always forget about him. Location location location for your merchandising!

Plus at this point he's not really worth it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Volcano's do give a lot of ambient temperature and considering the made-up nature of this world it's likely that is keeping things nice and muggy for Prehistoria. Heck, the world's made up, who knows if there's actually a sun or if the whole thing's like the Truman Show Dome.

Didn't know Strong Heart gave a free leather collar if you talked to him as the dog, then again, 5 points isn't much for him at this point. Those stats should be solidifying the party dynamic at this point: the boy is the all-around mage type while the Dog wrecks things by barking and pouncing on them.

Ah, Defense. The first game-breaking formula. If Leave chose so he could take 1 damage from defense-caring attacks for the rest of the game due to an underflow glitch. When you save the game and do a soft reset, the game has it's normal save data and such but because of the soft reset it's also keeping track of buff/debuff timers on you. So the game thinks you still have those buff/debuffs on despite not having their effects active. So after the normal duration of Defense it'll wear off and the game will lower your defense by however much it was buffed, causing you to take more damage.

If it takes away more defense than you naturally have... Well, the game wraps the integer around to it's 16 bit value, giving you a defense of over/around 60k. This is best done without armor as said armor works normally and can often wrap the value back around. Leveling can also wrap it back around at which point you'll have to save and reload the game properly in order to restore your actual defense value before trying to underflow it again.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Explosionface posted:

3) I really don't remember this game consisting entirely of mazes, but I think I'm just in a rough spot. A maze every now and then is okay, but three out of four places I've been so far are mazes.

I do :suicide: The latter half of the game really picks up on the mazes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

Find a big map on the internet, post it on the beginning of the update, tell players to reference it back by drawing in numbers ("This screenshot shows position 12 on the big map, where we're ambushed by spider monsters..."). Not even joking, I think that might help a LOT. If people don't like cross-referencing the map, they don't have to.

EDIT: Hell, MSPaint a path through the map and post screenshot highlights.
That's still going to be difficult for at least two mazes in the game.
This game has BS maze difficulty sometimes :shepicide:

That would work for most of the others though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Multi-casting isn't quite as broken as it was in Secret of Mana due to how crazily fast most alchemy spells are. But not all alchemy formulas have the same casting time. Slower ones you can multicast more.
Due to the nature of some bosses in the game, it's not a cheesy thing to do.
Especially since other bosses have their own BS that you cannot hope to deal with.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm having a hard time deciding if the mammoth bones are in tar or some sort of poison, or if they're just far enough down to be in perpetual shadow.
Can't it be both?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Blimp giving you replacement mud peppers is specifically if you somehow manage to lose it. I have no idea how because Levitate is extremely restricted on it's targeting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I find Alchemy better implemented than the rest of the combat system.
Anyway, Crush is great, it's the first formula you get where it has enough raw power to have what seems to be exponential growth in terms of damage (really it's just growing stronger than enemies Mdef can keep up.)

Or to put it in better terms, Crush is the 5th strongest attack formula in the game and you can stock 99 casts of it. Use it, you will not regret it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah, no you can't take on Tiny. He'd just throw you into orbit. Not even Crush can beat his muscles (though there is an Alchemy Formula that can match them!)

Now that we've got some, Relics are one of the things that aren't quite implemented right in the game. Turns out that the flags don't get set properly so only a few of them actually have any effect! Because you've already got those effects on you all the time :v:
The only one that I know off the top of my head that is set up properly is the Moxa Stick. It does work as advertised.

Really the big things to snag during this segment is the armor (for a good/bad reason Leave will show off next time) and a few higher-end tradeables as a completionist time saver. It's pretty neat on paper although as usual the execution leaves something to be desired.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vigor's the first obvious case of Evermore's bosses having some BS built into them.

In this case, he's invulnerable from the front. Not just 'every hit you do does minimal damage' you will straight up not hit him with anything as long as you're in front of him. Alchemy, Spear, Charge Attacks, nothing. This can be pretty frustrating for your first time since he combines his invulnerability with matching you on the Y axis unless he's doing an attack/trundling across the arena.

That said he has paper thin defense for the most part so his HP doesn't really last.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Alright, Leave mentioned it but didn't really show off one of the reasons I think weapons are mostly useless in this game: He had to get the Sword to Level 2. Weapon experience in this game is per weapon, not per class of weapons. Thus there's barely any point in grinding the kill XP required to get their power attacks (the spear being the major exception.)

Go Pyramid.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dealing 999 with weak attacks using the underflow glitch with it does speed the game up significantly though. But the three-amulet limit still makes it a pain.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Bronze Axe is the main reason to do the Pyramids, since I'm pretty sure there's at least one wall in the Halls that you can use it for, and if anything the Halls are even more annoying to backtrack to than the Pyramids. It also opens up a nice merchant for it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I think revealer might have one single use outside of Antiquia. Much like Levitate had it's single use here.
Heck if I know where that is though since it may just be a weird fever dream hallucination.

Anyway, Fireball is a good spell. Unlike Flash it actually has decent power behind it. I want to say it's around Crush/Sting tier but I'm not sure if that's another fire-themed formula.

The Hall is kind of interesting. It actually seals off it's wings once you're done with them except for the one Madronius is in. That'll give you a weird meta hint if you try and go back for stuff you may have missed and find out you can only go into that section.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Every Relic can be gotten later. The method you get missed relics from keeps going until it exhausts the missed relic list.

Also I hope everyone likes puzzles.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tiny has Big Muscles. Tiny has Big Vocabulary. Tiny does not have degree in aeronautical engineering. Tiny just throw.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Roro posted:

A little late here, but hold the loving phone! York may be a dumbass, but you're just going to let Zach off the hook for not realising Evil Horace was a fake? He's a dog, he could've sniffed him out!
He's a Dog and as shown later, he considers this to be his adventure with York along for the ride. He doesn't care about any of the twin plots (because there's no evil twin of him to have an epic dog duel with.)

RedMagus posted:

Also this area always caused me a headache when I went through it. I can't remember why though...
I'll put this here and maybe it'll jog something:

Maze Count: 1

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Leavemywife posted:

Someone in the thread mentioned that this part of the game really ramps up the mazes, and they're not bullshitting.

MagusofStars posted:

Are you just counting in this continent? Because if not, your number is way too low - the Swamp, the Volcano's sewers, and the Pyramid* are all built around mazes.

To confirm this now that Leaves mentioned it: yes. As mentioned this area has a great aesthetic but it's gameplay is utterly exhausting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's a lot of free armor in the game but that doesn't make shop armor worthless.
Buying bronze gear in Crustacia is actually a very good buy since the free armor is all the way in Nobilia and the Rogues have insane attack power. While the non-shop armor here is good it won't last us the entire stay here like the Nobilia stuff.

Also there's only one last set of free armor in the game IIRC.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

You can never have too many casts of Crush :colbert:

... Except when the reagents are spilling out of your bag and crushing everything around you :negative:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Why does "Truffle Trouble" ring a bell?

Replace Trouble with 'Shuffle.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Stroth posted:

A beautifully done fake out is what that is.

Every good con has to have one truth in it so that everyone buys into the farce.

Mungo also strangely fits in with everything: it's just a head, it has horn-like hair/hair like horn (or tusks) and a piggish countenance.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fourth Wall posted:

This is like a less fun version of the Blackbird from Chrono Trigger. The whole Gothica area could have used more playtesting

I don't think it's much of a playtesting issue. There are plenty of savepoints so it's likely an assumption that you'd be taking breaks while doing Gothica.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Corrosion is actually fairly unique with Alchemy Spells: It's the only one that sticks a DoT on enemies, which makes it zany for particularly scripted encounters.

Also because some enemies share your hit invulnerability, it also actively prevents you from killing things faster! :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

This upcoming maze isn't as bad as it used to be thanks to the advent of the internet. With a map it's downright civil.

But for those interested, we've had 3 mazes so far. The teleporter maze with Oglins, the Ivory Tower dog sequence, the Tower sewers (.5 of a maze) and the hedge maze around the chess board (the other .5 of a maze.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Gtocha now, that makes much more sense

An additional thing, this is maze number 4 of a series that you do within approximately an hour if you know what you're doing.

Gothica is crazy dense on the mazes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Bazooka is the other reason why I never bother to level up any weapons in this game. It's the strongest weapon in the game, it doesn't level, it doesn't need to level (in the time most other weapons charge up and inflict a big hit you can shoot something x times for more damage) and Alchemy is way easier to buff up.

I mean yeah we only have one shot for it but clearly there's going to be more shots for it later. Then all other weapons are pretty much obsolete except for their particular puzzle gimmick.

Shitenshi posted:

The upcoming boss gave me hell when I first played this game. Wondering if even one of the deliberate roadblocks will be able to break your Crushing streak.

The upcoming boss is only hard because of his dick move. If you don't skimp on the alchemy (why would you skimp on the alchemy) he's only slightly harder than most other bosses in the game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Shitenshi posted:

In my defense, I was nine years old back in 95, so I was really nervous about losing my alchemy ingredients, and too drat impulsive on getting farther at any given point to actually bother with leveling up at all.

No worries, the same boss caused me to quit the game back when I first played this for kind of the same reason. It was less my levels and more my money/alchemy ingredients that my impulsive 'GAWD GOTTA GET THROUGH THESE MAZES' me ran into problems with.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The reason the Knight Basher is green here is because the game is slightly confused/there's an oversight someone missed. A plot point or three from now that chest will refill with the Axe's upgrade, which uses that sprite.

Verminator is the hardest boss in the game not because of stats, but because of king-of-the-hill box standing. Secret of Evermore everyone!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also the low point of the game is done! Because everything else is spread out a bit better from here.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Dog/Zach is the real ultimate weapon of the game in terms of damage output.

As someone who mainlined the Bazooka as soon as ammo becomes available before it, I have a few counterpoints:

100% is standard for every weapon to do actual damage, as the pithy sub-100% swings of other weapons are going to have a hard time doing more than single/teens digits.
Getting knocked back isn't a big deal as Omnitopia is where a great deal of 'melee really sucks' enemies start to pop up. Such as that Metal Raptor. It's there kind of as a primer for what's to come.
The Neutronium sword adds 50 attack along with the 25% bonus damage. The weakest ammo for the Bazooka has an attack of 200, while the strongest, Cryo Blast, has an attack power of freakin' 800.

Really the only thing the Neutronium weapons are better at are for multiple targets. But that's also where Alchemy shines.
And technically the spear will do more damage due to the static nature of the bazooka but that requires an obscene amount of grinding.

In short, shoot Cryo Blasts every day, Crush/let the dog kill everything else.

Bazooka supremacy :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Randalor posted:

Now that the LP is over, I had some questions about the map of Evermore.

You can see pretty much all the areas in the game, but did the stone buildings and hut north of the two keeps ever show up? And the island with the hut in the north and the large mountain island with the small group of land in the middle is never used either, correct?

The three stone thingers north of the chessboard is Gomi's tower. The only places that you don't really visit are the two separate islands.

Also yes, the Armory light circuit is connected to the greenhouse, I remember that much.

• Locked thread