Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Had to take a flight down to Florida as a kid with pneumonia because my father "Payed good money for tickets to Disneyworld, gawddamnit!" Feeling the pressure build up in my skull was one of the most painful things ever and I had nightmares that my head was going to explode for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm thankful the worst I ever had was drinking the water in Mexico and not making GBS threads solid for two weeks straight (I also had to avoid coffee because it's a good laxative for me).

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
It all involves making GBS threads, doesn't it?

I took the short (less than an hour) flight from Hyderabad to Mumbai a couple of years ago. It was an early morning departure, and I had some sambal and idli for breakfast at HYD. Right at the point where we began the descent my gut shifted. You know that moment when you realize that your will have Loose Motions, as the Indians call it. I figured it hold out until the airport, although things became increasingly dire. It was an old-school deplaning, with the stairs and a bus to take us to the terminal. I nearly ran behind one of the landing-gear wheels to let loose, but security is really tight at BOM, and cops wouldn't let me wander the tarmac. I was increasingly panicked, and resigning myself to making GBS threads my pants of the airport tarmac.

Miraculously, I held on for the bus ride to the terminal, dashed into the first men's room (fetid) I saw, and let loose. Explosively. It was good thing it was an Indian airport bathroom, because otherwise I would've been mortified by the mess I created. My gut was terrible for the entire long weekend I spent in Mumbai. Eventually, I decided the the Novotel bathroom in Juhu was adequate, and staked out a table there. Spent the afternoon drinking beer and eating bananas, and hit the bathroom there seven times in a few hours. Thank heavens for the rear end gun in Indian toilets, because I would've wiped myself raw otherwise.

LA FIN

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Speaking of crap, what's your guys' experience with Imodium (active ingredient Loperamide)? They are aggressive "blockers" against diarrhea, but I've read that they sort of "plug" the system and shouldn't be taken liberally. The instructions say that they don't "cure" the reason for the illness, but well, you can't really cure a 1-day stomach infection with vomit and pooping anyway, you just have to let it runs its course. Has anyone tried taking them at the onsight of the runs, with good results?

I have them in my carry-on bag traveling, but haven't had use for them yet, thankfully.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah Imodium is 100% treating symptoms, not causes. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it's basically the medical equivalent of clenching your rear end in a top hat shut.

I'll keep it handy and have some if I get "that feeling" and know I won't have access to a decent bathroom for a while (eg getting on a train/bus), but if I don't have that need I won't use it. You're better off making GBS threads out whatever bug you have, rather than blocking things up and making it worse.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

webmeister posted:

Yeah Imodium is 100% treating symptoms, not causes. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it's basically the medical equivalent of clenching your rear end in a top hat shut.

I'll keep it handy and have some if I get "that feeling" and know I won't have access to a decent bathroom for a while (eg getting on a train/bus), but if I don't have that need I won't use it. You're better off making GBS threads out whatever bug you have, rather than blocking things up and making it worse.

It's basically an opioid that can't cross the blood-brain barrier, so same reason other opioids cause constipation.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Pilsner posted:

Speaking of crap, what's your guys' experience with Imodium (active ingredient Loperamide)? They are aggressive "blockers" against diarrhea, but I've read that they sort of "plug" the system and shouldn't be taken liberally. The instructions say that they don't "cure" the reason for the illness, but well, you can't really cure a 1-day stomach infection with vomit and pooping anyway, you just have to let it runs its course. Has anyone tried taking them at the onsight of the runs, with good results?

I have them in my carry-on bag traveling, but haven't had use for them yet, thankfully.

I only took it once after squirting liquid from my rear end for a day, and then I was massively constipated for the next week. Effective, yes, but perhaps too effective.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd rather have that than accidentally making GBS threads my pants.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

immodium is a lifesaver when you have the shits. your stomach will still hurt and you'll have the most wicked smelly farts of your life, but at least you wont poo poo your pants. Just don't go overboard and eat a whole pack everyday like a girl I know, 2 weeks of no making GBS threads= blood when its finally time.

use as directed lol

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I am currently going through my worst and best travel experience. Strap yourselves in.

24 hours ago, I was panicking at the check-in for my flight to Belize from Toronto because it was taking the 3 agents no less than 15 minutes to check each person or group. After over an hour with no more than 15 sets of people in front of me, I get to the front of the line with 50 minutes to get on my plane to Chicago, which included security and customs. They decided to open a new priority check-in line, because there were 3 families waiting there, so gently caress the other 100+ people waiting over an hour. I decide to be a poo poo and walk to the next empty counter before being summoned, but so did the guy in the new line. We start arguing, and the agent asks when my flight boards. I told her 50 minutes. The man stepped back because his didn't leave for 3 and a half hours. I'm shaking with rage at this point but I decide to be a proper Canadian and I apologize for freaking out and wished him a nice flight.

I get to security and find out I've been randomly selected for special screening, so I get all my stuff swabbed, and then get put in the scanner. Had to do it 3 times because I was shaking and the image was blurry. Customs was a little slow because the guy was actually friendly and chatty for once. I run to my gate to find that it's been delayed 2 hours. It's now due to arrive 15 minutes after my connection leaves. I get a drink and hope they'll hold the plane.

I arrive in Chicago, hoping to get my connection to Newark, which would result in a 6 hour overnight layover, but whatever, it was only $400CAD to Belize so that's fine. But it didn't. It's listing had disappeared from the board. I went to the customer service counter and said "I think I missed my connection." The man said, "You're going to Belize, right? We've been working on getting you sorted out." I was thrilled, to be honest. It was nice that they were being so pre-emptive about it. He managed to get me onto a flight to Miami early in the morning, and then on to Belize. I was starting to look up the "Sleeping in Airports" site for O'Hare when he handed me a hotel voucher complete with free shuttle service and complimentary meals. loving sweet! That's so much better than pissing around Newark overnight. So again, super thrilled.

Got to my hotel just in time for the restaurant to close. Ended up buying a bag of chips for dinner. I had to catch the 5:30 a.m. shuttle to catch my flight, and the restaurant didn't re-open until an hour after that. So no free food. But oh well, free hotel. I had just spent 10 days in a house full of people fighting so the solitude was magical.

Flight out of Chicago in the morning is delayed. Not severely, but it got me to Miami International with only 1/2 hour to cross the entire airport and go through security. I ran. It was hot. I have chronic pain in my legs. I felt like I was going to collapse, but I just made my connection. I ended up next to a crazy guy who was fidgeting, scratching dandruff off his scalp, and snotting snot droplets on my bare arm the entire flight. At least it was less than 2 hours, and once I was flying over Belize and seeing the reefs, it was amazing.

I get to Belize and my luggage was nowhere to be found. I expected this, considering the changed flights and seriously close connection times. I talk to an agent and she sees my bag is in Miami, waiting for hte late night Belize flight. I already knew which hostel I was staying at so it's going to be sent here.

'Here' is San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, a small island off the coast of Belize. To get here, I booked a flight on TropicAir, which flies a few different types of Cessna aircraft. I positioned myself close to the counter because it was open seating and I wanted to be directly behind the pilot. I was expecting a plane like this:

They called our flight number and I was first in line. I waited patiently but excitedly, because I'm planning on making a film about my experience here and I wanted the best footage I could get. Then a man comes up to me and asks "Miss Princess?" Me: "Yes". "We're going to put you on a private plane, it will be about 5 minutes.

WHAT.

I don't know how it happened, but it did. I ended up sitting in the front seat of this and fly to a tiny tropical island in the middle of a barrier reef:

Which is just about one of the coolest things to ever happen to me! The footage I shot was amazing! I had picked up a sim card with data and was snapchatting like crazy! There was one other person on the plane, and we got to chatting a bunch and ended up exchanging info, so I already have a friend here. All that poo poo I went through was worth it just for that experience!

Except that in all my excitement I managed to lose my passport. It's probably on the floor of the plane. I'm currently waiting for word on if it's been found, and hopefully my luggage will arrive before I'm set to head to my next destination about 18 hours from now.

That's been the last 24 hours of my life. It's been quite an adventure.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

you go girl! Intense poo poo like that is what I live for. I'm jealous

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
I've been very lucky in my travels to have this be my "worst" experience...On the bus in Cambodia somewhere I got off and went to get my backpack and skateboard from the undercarriage and my skateboard was hosed. The truck was broken in half and the base plate had popped up thru the top of the deck. I yelled and was angry at the bus people but they didn't care. I think at one of the rest stops it managed to fall out while someone was getting their bags, the bus ran over it and someone put it back on the bus.

On the Trans-Siberian Railroad there are sanitary zones before and after you pull into the stations so there isn't so much poo poo on the train tracks near the towns. One night I awoke delirious with stomach pains and I made a B line to the bathroom but it was locked. So I went to the other end of the train to try the other one and it was locked too. At this point I was borderline hallucinating, sweating and the Russian train lady was yelling at me in Russian and I was about to faint and poo poo my pants. I stumbled back into our little room, woke everyone up, got up on the table to stick my head out the window to cool off. How I didn't completely poo poo my pants I have no idea. I've had lots of questionable food shits but this was different, but I was able to control myself and use the potty when the train stopped.

Suffer the joy of life and travel!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Picnic Princess posted:

'Here' is San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, a small island off the coast of Belize. To get here, I booked a flight on TropicAir, which flies a few different types of Cessna aircraft. I positioned myself close to the counter because it was open seating and I wanted to be directly behind the pilot. I was expecting a plane like this:

They called our flight number and I was first in line. I waited patiently but excitedly, because I'm planning on making a film about my experience here and I wanted the best footage I could get. Then a man comes up to me and asks "Miss Princess?" Me: "Yes". "We're going to put you on a private plane, it will be about 5 minutes.

WHAT.

I don't know how it happened, but it did. I ended up sitting in the front seat of this and fly to a tiny tropical island in the middle of a barrier reef:

Which is just about one of the coolest things to ever happen to me! The footage I shot was amazing! I had picked up a sim card with data and was snapchatting like crazy! There was one other person on the plane, and we got to chatting a bunch and ended up exchanging info, so I already have a friend here. All that poo poo I went through was worth it just for that experience!

Except that in all my excitement I managed to lose my passport. It's probably on the floor of the plane. I'm currently waiting for word on if it's been found, and hopefully my luggage will arrive before I'm set to head to my next destination about 18 hours from now.

That's been the last 24 hours of my life. It's been quite an adventure.

The floors on Cessna 172s attract important papers and other things like a magnet attracts metal, I'm convinced.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Getting food poisoning in Vietnam and spending all night in the bathroom. Got about 2 hours sleep before having to check out of my room (with the next guest literally moving his stuff in while I'm struggling to get my stuff packed up, guess he couldn't wait). Had to catch a bus that same day, which then drove right passed the town I was supposed to be stopping at (I was the only person stopping there). They continued down the road for another 4 hours before I had to get off and jump on a bus coming back. Ended up arriving at my hotel at 5am.

I couldn't stomach eating solid food for about 3 days after that. On the plus side, it was a great way to lose weight!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

you go girl! Intense poo poo like that is what I live for. I'm jealous

I like having interesting stories to tell!

I do have all my possessions now except for a coat I forgot in the hostel. But it turns out I'm allergic to noseeums and have like 300 disgusting burning bites on my feet.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Trip to and from Thailand
- My flight was late from RNO to SFO, and my plane to South Korea left without me. I had the runaround with both airline companies for about an hour, before one of them finally put me on an emergency exit seat (so super spacious) to Tokyo. I sat next to a giant weeaboo but it was all good.
- Lost or got my ATM card stolen without me noticing a couple weeks into my 3 month stay in Thailand. Such a hassle. I was living on a single meal a day of 30 baht soups sold outside a nearby 7-11 at night for about 1.5 weeks. I ended up convincing a local Thai bank to open an account for me so I could wire money to it. I think it may be illegal that they opened an account but I'm not 100% sure. No money was stolen luckily. Also lucky was that I prepaid my reservations. My host family loaned me 10,000 baht to help out as well.
- On the day I was supposed to leave via HKT (Phuket airport) to South Korea, HKT was closed for maintenance for 2 days meaning every flight was cancelled (second world countries I guess :confused:). I ended up overstaying my reservation at my bungelow by 2 days, but for the inconvenience they put me on a business class flight to South Korea when it reopened.
- Once I got to South Korea (I was there for a transfer flight only) more problems arose. Because my round trip ticket was now 2 days expired, I was temporarily stuck in a country that had an administrative office person that knew no English which was a serious problem. It took 6 hours for them to finally figure out that the airport was closed from my destination, so it was necessary for them to give me a ticket back home. The next flight to SFO was something like 12 hours out. I ended up sleeping in a bathroom stall for 4 hours (I was worried my luggage would get stolen, I don't know much about South Korea) and then on a terminal bench for another 4, and I still had to sit for more 4 hours at the airport.
- I finally boarded the plane, and I had a ~12 hour flight with a 1-2 year old toddler sitting next to me. Luckily the little guy was awesome and I gave him my pillow and he was quiet and talkative with me the whole time until he fell asleep.

Trip from Hawaii
- Spilled an entire can of soda onto my socks 1 hour after leaving Hawaii so over the Pacific. I had something like 8-9 hours of flight left and my socks and shoes were completely soaked and sticky the entire night flight. It wasn't fun trying to sleep.
- Sat in LAX for 6 hours after acclimating to Hawaiian weather with sticky socks and shoes.

I've gotten lucky with traveler's diarrhea. Even months of eating sketchy street food and weeks of eating a heavy fruit diet I'm not sure that I got it, or if I did maybe for a night.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Trip from Hawaii
- Spilled an entire can of soda onto my socks 1 hour after leaving Hawaii so over the Pacific. I had something like 8-9 hours of flight left and my socks and shoes were completely soaked and sticky the entire night flight. It wasn't fun trying to sleep.
- Sat in LAX for 6 hours after acclimating to Hawaiian weather with sticky socks and shoes.

I've seen people take their shoes and socks off on the plane for no reason at all, did you consider that?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Even if I'm checking my bag, I make sure to always keep one change of clothing in my carry-on. I'd suggest that tactic for your future!

Also... I'd suggest just using your bag as a pillow and putting your arms around it next time you sleep in an airport, so you can sleep on the floor or an (increasingly rare-to-find) bench. That should work fine unless you're in a country with skilled con-men who can swap out your bag-as-pillow with a similar-sized bag of sand, like some Indiana Jones deal.

E: I had a similar money issue going to Cameroon a few years ago. I was told that ATMs would work in the country. They did not, and I had €250 to last me 10 days. Fortunately that was (a) almost enough and (b) I had friends-of-friends there who could cover me the extra. But, man am I always paranoid about going to 'off the grid' countries without plenty of cash.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

PT6A posted:

I've seen people take their shoes and socks off on the plane for no reason at all, did you consider that?
On some flights they give you extra socks, and/or slippers. The slippers are actually nice since they insulate from the cold cabin floor.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I recently had to fly 4 legs while I had a cold, so my ears couldn't equalize the pressure (well, they could, but it took a long rear end time). That hurt quite a bit.

Per fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 26, 2017

birds
Jun 28, 2008

This one was all entirely my fault.

I decided on a whim to go for a weekend visit to NYC and stay with a buddy in New Jersey. Landed in Newark late and nearly missed my shuttle to his place which would have hosed up my plans since the train also stopped running and cabs are like what, $100? Manage to have a good weekend and end it with dinner and some drinking before my flight the following morning. Except, guy I'm staying with doesn't have a car and again a cab is out of my budget. My flight leaves at something like 6:30 AM and trains stop running in the middle of the night so my only option besides paying a gently caress ton is taking a train to Newark Penn Station, spending the night there, and waiting for the first train of the day to take me to the airport.

Longest night of my life but I manage to make it to EWR and make my flight. Luckily I'm in first class however spending a night wide awake sitting on the floor of a lovely train station and drinking was not good for my body and I make a dash for the bathroom shortly after takeoff. We probably weren't even above 10,000 feet yet when I did this which probably caused the flight attendant's some concern. I proceed to puke all over the tiny rear end bathroom for 10 minutes. Then I'm forced to spend the rest of the flight all the way to Orange County reeking of vomit.

Poor seatmate.

birds fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 31, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
You fly first class but can't afford a cab to/from the airport? :raise:

birds
Jun 28, 2008

webmeister posted:

You fly first class but can't afford a cab to/from the airport? :raise:

I booked the flight with miles.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

birds posted:

This one was all entirely my fault.

I decided on a whim to go for a weekend visit to NYC and stay with a buddy in New Jersey. Landed in Newark late and nearly missed my shuttle to his place which would have hosed up my plans since the train also stopped running and cabs are like what, $100? Manage to have a good weekend and end it with dinner and some drinking before my flight the following morning. Except, guy I'm staying with doesn't have a car and again a cab is out of my budget. My flight leaves at something like 6:30 AM and trains stop running in the middle of the night so my only option besides paying a gently caress ton is taking a train to Newark Penn Station, spending the night there, and waiting for the first train of the day to take me to the airport.

Longest night of my life but I manage to make it to EWR and make my flight. Luckily I'm in first class however spending a night wide awake sitting on the floor of a lovely train station and drinking was not good for my body and I make a dash for the bathroom shortly after takeoff. We probably weren't even above 10,000 feet yet when I did this which probably caused the flight attendant's some concern. I proceed to puke all over the tiny rear end bathroom for 10 minutes. Then I'm forced to spend the rest of the flight all the way to Orange County reeking of vomit.

Poor seatmate.

I got an uber from Newark Airport to Brooklyn for $50 last fall. 45 minute trip and across one of those bridges with like $15 tolls. Unfortunately on the way back I had to deal with Surge pricing and it was actually $100.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

immodium is a lifesaver when you have the shits. your stomach will still hurt and you'll have the most wicked smelly farts of your life, but at least you wont poo poo your pants. Just don't go overboard and eat a whole pack everyday like a girl I know, 2 weeks of no making GBS threads= blood when its finally time.

use as directed lol

I always travel with Immodium, but haven't had to use it in years. It's a life-saver if you have a long flight or bus ride or train ride with bad diarrhea. Otherwise, no way I'll take it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I remember getting the fiery shits in Sichuan, taking too much immodium, and not being able to take a poo poo for a week. The moment I did have to take a poo poo was in the countryside with just a loving squat toilet. drat near fell in from exhaustion. Next time I'm lubing up my rear end in a top hat.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Your Worst Travel Experiences: Next time I'm lubing up my rear end in a top hat.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Your Worst Travel Experiences: Next time I'm lubing up my rear end in a top hat.

drat, that's a fine title. That requires a mod to switch, right, or can I do it as OP? Do we even have mods in T&T?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Saladman posted:

drat, that's a fine title. That requires a mod to switch, right, or can I do it as OP? Do we even have mods in T&T?

just PM Grand Fromage about it, hes a decent cat.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I once got food poisoning the night before a 26 hour flight from BKK to JFK. Sat down on the flight (which left at like 7AM), and promptly started violently puking into one of those bags to the delight of the passengers sitting next to me. I bee-lined to the toilet where my traveling companion had to convince the stewardess not to quarantine me because I just had too much to drink the night before. Spent 5-6 hours to Tokyo dry heaving in the bathroom. Spent the 14 hours from NRT to JFK in a post-traumatic state watching Disney movies and trying to crawl into the fetal position (though I couldn't).

Earlier on the same trip (it was a two month between job solo travel through Asia) I also got food poisoning on the Nepal/India frontier and had to shack up in this dump of a guesthouse that had intermittent electricity. I spent a good day and a half by myself in a delusional fever state feeling like I was Marlon Brando from Apocalypse Now as the fan went on and off in like 100 degree heat.

I also once got what felt like dysentery while climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. This led to altitude sickness at the summit (due to dehydration), and the eventual making GBS threads of my pants at that night's camp. Let me tell you, making GBS threads your pants in the middle of the African jungle when you only have two sets of clothes is not a fun experience.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Back in my 2009 I had bought a ticket to fly to Japan for about two weeks before going elsewhere in Asia.

Two days before the flight I hurt my leg pretty bad and went to my university's medical center and they gave me a bunch of those fat 800mg motrin pills with no instructions. I knew that you had to take them with food but for some reason just wasn't paying attention due to final exams and a busy schedule in general. So I was popping like 2-3 of these a day. Boom the day before I leave for Japan I get the worst stomach pain. Like someone was ripping the flesh out from the inside of my stomach lining. On top of that I was making GBS threads blood bricks that were pitch black which is apparently a symptom of internal bleeding in the stomach or intestines.

After some WebMD poo poo I realize that taking all those 800mg pills without coordinating with meals had caused a stomach ulcer. I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep, take a poo poo without ripping a new one, or even eat because of pain. My stomach acid was causing most of the pain and the only thing that temporarily soothed me was drinking milk due to it being slightly basic.

I told my mom that I'm not going to Japan but my mom basically said "STFU and man up, you paid all this money you're loving going." LOL?

Worst flight of my life. I was in pain the entire time and had to take a poo poo 5 times which were extremely uncomfortable. Massive bloating due to being lactose intolerant but since I had to keep asking for milk to sooth my stomach it was compounding the problem. The flight attendant thought I was crazy because I basically ordered a gallon of milk during that flight. Only saving grace was having an aisle seat when it came to taking a poo poo.

TLDR: If you are going to take Motrin (Ibuprofen) make sure to take it with a large and substantial meal.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I have a new one! I was away from home or three months this year: 10 days in Toronto, 2 months and a week in Belize working at a wildlife rescue facility as a practicum for school, then a week and half in Mexico to visit with friends and family.

My last day at work in Belize, I came down with a severe fever, fatigue, and loss of appetite rather suddenly. I had that itch in the ears and a minor light cough indicating a cold for a couple days prior. By the next morning I was coughing uncontrollably. I had given myself 3 days to see the tourist sights in Belize before heading for Mexico, and I spent the entire time in bed coughing myself to death. At one point I coughed so hard I triggered my gag reflex and ended up throwing up several times.

When I travelled to Chetumal, Mexico, it was by boat then I walked to my hotel which was only a block and a half away. I was so fatigued it took about an hour. I spent the night in the hotel and developed severe pain around my lungs like I had cracked a rib or seized up all the muscles or something. The next day I flew to Mexico City to visit with some friends for 2 days. I think if I stayed any longer I would have been hospitalized. A city as polluted as that combined with that elevation after being at sea level for 2 months is not where you want to go when you have severe respiratory illness. I did manage to drag myself out to do a driving tour downtown with a stop to see the big cathedral downtown. I also made it to Teotihuacan but only listlessly wandered around.

I then moved on to Manzanillo, which was back at sea level and relatively clean air. I started to feel a bit better, but couldn't do much a=of anything due to the insane amount of pain I was in. Coughing was excruciating. I had to sleep sitting up because laying out flat pulled on the muscles/ribs too hard and I would cry out from the pain. My favourite thing to do there is just go out for a swim in the ocean, but I never did it at all. I was so exhausted from the pain.

I got home over 3 weeks after getting sick. I didn't seek medical attention until then for one major reason: I'd have to report the incident to my university since I was on an official international out-trip. I know from experience they are ridiculously overreactive to students having medical problems on out-trips to the point of banning people from going to that location ever again. I didn't want to blacklist the facility I worked at or the entire country of Belize, so I kept it to myself. I tried to make an appointment with my regular doctor, but after describing some symptoms to the receptionist, she told me call our Healthlink number and get into an emergency clinic. I saw someone that day and it turned out I had bacterial pneumonia which was triggering an asthma attack that likely lasted all 3 weeks. My blood oxygen saturation level was 73 at rest.

I was put on emergency asthma medication and antibiotics and my cough went away in 3 days. The rib pain persisted, though, and only finally went away last week. It's been a bit of an ordeal.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I have a new one! I was away from home or three months this year: 10 days in Toronto, 2 months and a week in Belize working at a wildlife rescue facility as a practicum for school, then a week and half in Mexico to visit with friends and family.

My last day at work in Belize, I came down with a severe fever, fatigue, and loss of appetite rather suddenly. I had that itch in the ears and a minor light cough indicating a cold for a couple days prior. By the next morning I was coughing uncontrollably. I had given myself 3 days to see the tourist sights in Belize before heading for Mexico, and I spent the entire time in bed coughing myself to death. At one point I coughed so hard I triggered my gag reflex and ended up throwing up several times.

When I travelled to Chetumal, Mexico, it was by boat then I walked to my hotel which was only a block and a half away. I was so fatigued it took about an hour. I spent the night in the hotel and developed severe pain around my lungs like I had cracked a rib or seized up all the muscles or something. The next day I flew to Mexico City to visit with some friends for 2 days. I think if I stayed any longer I would have been hospitalized. A city as polluted as that combined with that elevation after being at sea level for 2 months is not where you want to go when you have severe respiratory illness. I did manage to drag myself out to do a driving tour downtown with a stop to see the big cathedral downtown. I also made it to Teotihuacan but only listlessly wandered around.

I then moved on to Manzanillo, which was back at sea level and relatively clean air. I started to feel a bit better, but couldn't do much a=of anything due to the insane amount of pain I was in. Coughing was excruciating. I had to sleep sitting up because laying out flat pulled on the muscles/ribs too hard and I would cry out from the pain. My favourite thing to do there is just go out for a swim in the ocean, but I never did it at all. I was so exhausted from the pain.

I got home over 3 weeks after getting sick. I didn't seek medical attention until then for one major reason: I'd have to report the incident to my university since I was on an official international out-trip. I know from experience they are ridiculously overreactive to students having medical problems on out-trips to the point of banning people from going to that location ever again. I didn't want to blacklist the facility I worked at or the entire country of Belize, so I kept it to myself. I tried to make an appointment with my regular doctor, but after describing some symptoms to the receptionist, she told me call our Healthlink number and get into an emergency clinic. I saw someone that day and it turned out I had bacterial pneumonia which was triggering an asthma attack that likely lasted all 3 weeks. My blood oxygen saturation level was 73 at rest.

I was put on emergency asthma medication and antibiotics and my cough went away in 3 days. The rib pain persisted, though, and only finally went away last week. It's been a bit of an ordeal.

WTF..

You could have died.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I kind of just assumed it was a really bad case of bronchitis, which I'm prone to. I really started to worry when I got home and got worse due to going back up in elevation and the air being cold. In hindsight I totally agree it was pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I kind of just assumed it was a really bad case of bronchitis, which I'm prone to. I really started to worry when I got home and got worse due to going back up in elevation and the air being cold. In hindsight I totally agree it was pretty stupid.

Not criticizing you, but my uncle (I never met him) died when he was 17. Thought he had a cold and a bad cough. So he just kept rolling with it for about three weeks thinking it would get better and then he was dead within a few days once the pneumonia went south rapidly.

• Locked thread