Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Bombardier, all missions, no items, final destination. :c00lbutt:
Wait, I might be mixing this up with a different game...

Edit: Update is on the previous page, I'm a bad poster.

Jawaknight posted:

Episode 16: Carl, Nightcrawlers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHlDS4Ed_-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I'm honestly a bit torn. We've got two new guys to try out, and we're what, half way through the Dark campaign?

I think switch it up - Bombardier and Goblin, in whatever order you prefer.

re: this video:

First - I think we finally have an answer to where the Light campaign wizard was hanging out. Guess he was the lame one who didn't get to spend his life in magical suspended-animation bubble. Or he was the one that got sent out on grocery runs or whatever and happened to miss the invasion.

Second - I didn't mention this last time, but I like that the secret staircase in Zale's Mansion of Mystery looks like the Dreg'Atar/Pokeball symbol. I'm not sure why it's there, but I like it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

JawaKnight posted:

Now I want to know if they're shouting anything interesting or strange, like the Ganados in RE4 who say things like "Behind you, Idiot!" as they attack.

I've been keeping an ear out whenever goblins are around, but their speech is just weird enough to be hard to make out without a bit of effort, and rather hard to hear over the other sounds and commentary. :(

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014

Apep727 posted:

re: this video:

First - I think we finally have an answer to where the Light campaign wizard was hanging out. Guess he was the lame one who didn't get to spend his life in magical suspended-animation bubble. Or he was the one that got sent out on grocery runs or whatever and happened to miss the invasion.

He must have felt really left out. All of his friends got a job from Zale at the Mansion of Dreams, and he was stuck, judging by where we unlocked him, underwater.

Apep727 posted:

Second - I didn't mention this last time, but I like that the secret staircase in Zale's Mansion of Mystery looks like the Dreg'Atar/Pokeball symbol. I'm not sure why it's there, but I like it.

That's because it wasn't Zale's mansion to start with, it was Zurana's and she was an evil sorceress, so it makes some sense that her secret staircase is the Dreg'Atar symbol. She was Mordessa's rival.

Covski posted:

I've been keeping an ear out whenever goblins are around, but their speech is just weird enough to be hard to make out without a bit of effort, and rather hard to hear over the other sounds and commentary. :(

I'll see if I can find a good level for them and make a clean recording of what they say.

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014
Aylewood was a very pretty place; It's a pity we showed up.

Episode 17: Assault on Aylewood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6K272n8p4s

If it weren't for the excessive amount of sniper arrows, these two missions would be some of my favorites, just because the location is so far from what we're used to. I guess one of the fringe benefits of being the Dreg'Atar is that you get to attack really pretty places...sometimes.

This next mission might actually be my favorite, for a variety of reasons. So the question stands: Who do we send to take over Iellon Outpost, where we started our adventure in the Light Campaign?

Covski posted:

JawaKnight posted:

I'll see if I can find a good level for them and make a clean recording of what they say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd9ncsStbJE

Here's the best I have right now, if you'd care to take a gander. No music, just sound effects. If they're not good enough, I'll keep looking.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

JawaKnight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd9ncsStbJE

Here's the best I have right now, if you'd care to take a gander. No music, just sound effects. If they're not good enough, I'll keep looking.

The voices and the odd accentuation of the words make it a bit hard to make out, especially with such short phrases, but here's what I got after a quick listen:

The first one I'm certain is "Du där!" = "You there!"

The second might be either "Titta!" = "Look!" or "Tjena!", an informal way of saying "hello".

I'm unclear on the third but after listening to it way too many times I can only make it out as "Jag är tjock!" = "I am fat!", which seems a strange non-sequitur to have as a battle cry. :iiam:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Covski posted:

I'm unclear on the third but after listening to it way too many times I can only make it out as "Jag är tjock!" = "I am fat!", which seems a strange non-sequitur to have as a battle cry. :iiam:

Clearly, you have forgotten The Blob from X-men. :colbert:

JawaKnight posted:

Who do we send to take over Iellon Outpost, where we started our adventure in the Light Campaign?

Well, in the opening cutscenes, the warrior was locked in the jail next to the assassin, right?
I vote Assassin for maximum time shenanigans. :science:

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014

Covski posted:

The voices and the odd accentuation of the words make it a bit hard to make out, especially with such short phrases, but here's what I got after a quick listen:

The first one I'm certain is "Du där!" = "You there!"

The second might be either "Titta!" = "Look!" or "Tjena!", an informal way of saying "hello".

Amazing! Thanks for that! "I am fat" is the best rallying cry since "Spoon!".

Dooky Dingo posted:

Well, in the opening cutscenes, the warrior was locked in the jail next to the assassin, right?
I vote Assassin for maximum time shenanigans. :science:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. :coolspot:

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014
Episode 18: Time Paradox?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI4IxUMfl04

I really enjoyed the symmetry this level brings when compared to the light campaign, but some of the gold is really nasty to find (I'm looking at you, the Sapphire hiding on the other side of the Trebuchet). Speaking of the Trebuchet, I wish the weapon emplacements were more integrated into the overall gameplay structure. I don't think we ever use the Trebuchet again, just like the cannons in the port city where we worked for Marcus's brother Lorus.

Say hello to our new friend:

Lich

Wicked cool skeleton-lady. Like the Druid, but has mastered the concept of pants. Is the only hero who can summon shadow skeletons and shoot bats with the Staff of the Damned(which is a scythe!)! Can equips Staves and Daggers.

The next mission is a frontal assault on a well defended fortress, and from here on out the enemy ranks will be filled with Huntresses and Archers, and almost everyone will be in full armor. Choose our next character wisely (although it's probably gonna be the Lich:hb:, because she's new).

Oh poo poo, I made a real poll: http://www.strawpoll.me/11620711

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Okay, it's cool and all that you put up a poll for us to vote, and I'm totally gonna do that, but...

JawaKnight posted:

Wicked cool skeleton-lady. Is the only hero who can summon shadow skeletons and shoot bats with the Staff of the Damned(which is a scythe!)!
You can't just drop that and expect us to vote anything else.
Although I am extremely confused by the concept of skeleton boobs.

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014

Dooky Dingo posted:

Although I am extremely confused by the concept of skeleton boobs.

Maybe it's just shaped armor, to remind her of the body she once had?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

JawaKnight posted:

The next mission is a frontal assault on a well defended fortress, and from here on out the enemy ranks will be filled with Huntresses and Archers, and almost everyone will be in full armor. Choose our next character wisely (although it's probably gonna be the Lich:hb:, because she's new).

Gee, it's like you've figured out the totally obvious trend.

re: totally weird and impractical armor discussion

As crazy as wings on helmets is, the armor used by Polish Hussars is even crazier. They were also called "Winged Hussars", and the reason is pretty obvious:

That's right - their armor has friggin' wings. Why are they there? No idea. Does it matter? Not in the slightest.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

I'm the heart shaped ear hole.

Real talk, though, that is friggin' sweet and I would totally ride around, cavalry charging, looking like either a flock of avenging angels (probably their intended purpose) or a murder of giant, armor plated crows.
That being said, those wings are actually away from the body and look entirely ornamental, vs. the actual physical metal of the winged helms that, at least in my mind, would do a better job of funneling sword blows directly toward your noggin.

Maybe I'm overthinking this...

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014
Episode 19: Never Use The Front Door
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pExyvFmqUE

Well, with all of the characters unlocked, you now have free reign to pick anyone we want to go to the Ungard mines. If it help you make your decision, the next level had a lot of variations in terrain height and (surprise) a ton of Huntresses.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11685624

We also have the last Dark Survival Challenge at Lexe to consider. Who are we sending?

http://www.strawpoll.me/11685925

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

You get metal from mines right?
Then we should vote for the most metal character, the Sorceress. :colbert:

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014
To everyone in the USA, I hope you had a happy thanksgiving, to everyone else a happy late November!

Episode 20: Mine Gott
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePU04g_rtwI

Not much of a surprise, but I really appreciate how it was done. As for Lexe, that final level really is the last difficult level we'll encounter. It's all easier, if not exactly easy, from here on out. Anyways, y'all know the drill. Vote to decide who we're sending out to give our (slightly less than) 2 weeks notice to Mordessa.

JawaKnight fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 29, 2016

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

In response to that final joke:

Also, I vote for Sorceress :rock:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Fist, I'll also vote Sorceress.

RE: Legends of the Hidden Temple - I don't remember all the teams, but I believe one of them was barracuda. Also, I've seen at least one trailer for a TV movie based on the game show. Is there noting that won't be made the basis for a movie these days?

Also, I feel really old, because I remember all those game shows you guys mentioned, if only vaguely.

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014

Apep727 posted:

RE: Legends of the Hidden Temple - I don't remember all the teams, but I believe one of them was barracuda. Also, I've seen at least one trailer for a TV movie based on the game show. Is there noting that won't be made the basis for a movie these days?

Also, I feel really old, because I remember all those game shows you guys mentioned, if only vaguely.

Blue Barracudas maybe? I refuse to look it up.

I'm also glad that it seems to be going for the Sorceress. There's just something poetic and terrible about sending her to take out Mordessa. It's like Vatar is sending his new girlfriend to get his stuff back from his ex. Classy. :twisted:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Apep727 posted:

I'll also vote Sorceress.

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014
Episode 21: Dark Finale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FYVfPLXuQo

It's almost over. This is the last Mission update for the entire game. There will be 2 more bonus updates after this, so stay tuned, but there will be no more votes and no more new levels.

I really wish that the final boss was more interesting, but there isn't enough depth to the mechanics to allow for a really technical or interesting fight. They just throw a bunch of high health Wizards at you, followed by one poor elven woman. Not that it matters; by this point our melee damage on three main weapon types is so ridiculous that all they can do is try to sap our health asap (which they do).

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

No, but seriously, "Temporarily Transient Box" is an awesome forums name...

Let's Play Enclave: Ennui! Where all the boxes are made up and the gold doesn't matter!

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014
Well, the LP is over, and so is this year (basically). Thanks for watching, voting and talking with me about a favorite game from my childhood. Here are the final videos:

Episode 22: Dark Bonus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0iHbC-tv0Q

Episode 23: Console Comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcs0nxkQWFY

I always wondered whether this would be another installment in the series "LPer plays a game they used to love and comes out the other side hating it", but now that it's done I can safely say that I'm more fond of it now than I ever was. It tried to do some every interesting things, with the material and locational damage, varied (if not quite balanced) classes, and some great art and aesthetics. It's far far far from a perfect game, but it has just enough going to be more than worth the entry fee, especially now that the price has dropped.

Well, that's my two cents. I hope to see y'all in my next LP!

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I heartily recommend watching the MST3K episode of Sampson vs. the Vampire Women. It's so absurd in the most glorious ways. When the eponymous Sampson first shows up, he literally just walks into this guy's office, in full luchador get-up (including, I believe, no shirt) and it's treated as being totally normal.

Also, it's one of the many episodes available on the official MST3K youtube page, so you literally have no reason not to watch it.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
gently caress I barely started even though dooky told me about it. I hope yall do another one together soon.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Admittedly, I still haven't finished playthrough 1 of even a single campaign since getting this game but you guys did well and I was glad to see this LP.

Looking forward to whatever you guys choose to play through next!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Thanks for this LP fellas, it's been good fun to follow along and enjoy weirdly accented Swedish with you!

JawaKnight
Jul 9, 2014

Apep727 posted:

I heartily recommend watching the MST3K episode of Sampson vs. the Vampire Women. It's so absurd in the most glorious ways. When the eponymous Sampson first shows up, he literally just walks into this guy's office, in full luchador get-up (including, I believe, no shirt) and it's treated as being totally normal.

Also, it's one of the many episodes available on the official MST3K youtube page, so you literally have no reason not to watch it.

I'm on it!

Hrvstmn31 posted:

gently caress I barely started even though dooky told me about it. I hope yall do another one together soon.

ModeWondershot posted:

Admittedly, I still haven't finished playthrough 1 of even a single campaign since getting this game but you guys did well and I was glad to see this LP.

Looking forward to whatever you guys choose to play through next!

Look forward to Breakdown, coming soon to a forum near you!

Covski posted:

Thanks for this LP fellas, it's been good fun to follow along and enjoy weirdly accented Swedish with you!

It's been my sincere pleasure! Thanks for the TL help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Liked, commented, and subscribed, but you should probably lose that weird dingo guy, he's really breaking the flow with his non-sequiturs and stupid voices.
Other than that, great LP and thanks for the memories! :cheeky:

• Locked thread