Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Man, I remember this game from way back when it first came out. Never really got that far, though.

re: next video - Engineer. Let's see what the new guy can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

JawaKnight posted:

In fairness, I first had this game on the Xbox, where aiming was nearly impossible and clicking the right thumb stick was the jump button. It meant that the Knight was the only way I could consistently beat levels, and even then, I never beat the game legitimately until I got the PC version.

I got it for PC (which is still my preferred gaming platform), so I didn't even have that excuse. I just kinda sucked at it (I remember using the Knight/Murder-Hobo in the third mission and having trouble taking down the big furry thing at the end).

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
re: Class equivalents

From the TVTropes page, the Dark equivalent of the Engineer is the Bombardier (which makes sense when you think about it), and the Goblin is their take on the Halfling. I think the point here is clear - none of the Dark classes suck. Guess Evil really is better than Good.

Also, I'm tempted to give the designers minor props for including a turret game as a side-mission. Yeah, there's no real end, but at least it's a change of pace.

Next video: What the heck, I'll be nice and say Druid.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Well, we haven't seen the Huntress in a while, so I say send her for the staff. After that, take the Wizard out for a test-drive at Hagastrom.

Also, am I the only one who noticed that one skeleton committed suicide by jumping into that pit at ~16:40? Because that's hilarious.

Apep727 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 9, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Am I the only one surprised to discover that the Wizard and Zale are apparently not the same person?

Also, glad to see that the Halfling isn't completely useless. And that everyone in the party looks pretty drat metal in their top-end gear.

I honestly don't know who to go with for the next mission. But I guess the Wizard didn't really get much of a chance to show off what he can do, so let him deal with it.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

JawaKnight posted:

gently caress me, you're right! He's there in the cut-scene with the whole group; I never noticed before! Since we unlock him right after we rescued Zale, I assumed that Zale was the Wizard. If Zale isn't the Wizard, then where did our Wizard come from? Who is he?

Maybe he was living like a rat in the walls of Zale's underwater fortress/prison? Though that raises the question of why Zale was still chained up in that James Bond villain-esque trap. Unless he'd only been strapped into that thing recently...

drat, this guy's existence is raising a lot of questions.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I still think the Wizard hasn't really had a chance to pull his weight. Getting the staff back wasn't all that impressive IMO, plus it took a wizard to beat Vatar last time, so it's only fitting for one to do it this time.

And if/when that fails, go Halfling.

And if we're going to talk about anime shows that only exist to cause suffering and pain, I can't think of any better example than the original 1997 Berserk. All but the first episode is a flashback, then you spend the next twenty-ish episodes getting to know and love this band of mercenaries, only for it to all go to poo poo at the end.

The leader gets tortured to the point of being crippled, then he gets rescued makes a deal with literal demons to restore him and become a super-powerful demon himself, a process which requires the sacrificing of all the people who have been his friends and companions. Almost every character you've spent almost the entire series getting to know and love are killed and eaten by demons. The only survivors are the main character (who looses an arm and an eye and goes on a roaring rampage of revenge) and the principle female character, who gets raped by the now-demonic former leader. Oh, and that's where the series ends. The frame never closes, so until pretty recently, the only way to find out what happens next (like how the main character goes from being literally trapped in Hell to wandering the land killing demons) was to read the manga.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I have to admit, part of me does wonder if ending the Berserk anime there was just a ploy to increase the manga's sales. I know it's why I started buying them.

And say what you like about the new series, at least I don't have to get my heart ripped out again by having to go through the Golden Age arc for a third time.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Wow, I'd almost forgotten about that, given what happens later.

Though to Miura's credit, he does have Caska kick the rear end of the guy who beat her in that fight later. Then again, that's pretty much the biggest fight she gets, so yeah.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Lotish posted:

This conversation reminded me of two things regarding the new Beserk video game that's coming out:
A) Casca gets to kick rear end as a playable character.
B) The preorder bonus is her in a wet T-shirt.

Seconding that I'm looking forward to the Dark Campaign because our Light-side heroes get seriously spiky heavy metal monstrous looking by the end, and that's got me wondering if the Dark Side guys just take the dark fantasy spike culture to 11 or do they go the other way and their top tier gear has them looking like freaking angels?

First: That right there pretty much sums up Berserk's treatment of women. Two steps forward, one step back.

Second: Also looking forward to the Dark Campaign. Looking at the armor they were wearing in this last video, they're going to look pretty badass.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed with Vatar. I mean, for one, he's a quasi-gimmick boss; why couldn't we be shooting him with those ballistae instead of his shield-generator things? Two, I'm not happy with his design - yes, it's cool that he has those mouths coming out of his everything, but you can't really get a good look at him, and he's only about ten feet tall. If I'm going to be facing a mouth-demon that nearly destroyed the world once, I want it to be at least the size of a small building, drat it.

Oh well. At least the unlocked characters sound interesting, and the Dark Campaign should be fun.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
First, an observation:

Anyone else find it odd that in this timeline, Marcus can afford to hire multiple guards, yet in the Light timeline, he had to go to the Queen to get protection? Guess because the government didn't have anyone to give him, he had to use his own money. I somehow can't find it in my to be surprised by this.

As to next mission, I shall continue my policy from the Light campaign, and vote for the latest addition to our merry band - send in the Berserker :black101:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
First, I just want to say that I think it's neat that this level almost literally a revers of the Light version of Ark Moor - you start at the sacrificial chamber, and work your way back to the super-narrow bridge of falling to your death.

Second, I'm disappointed that the Berserker isn't as much a wrecker of poo poo as his name implies (also that "berserk" meant "bear shirt", so his lack of a shirt makes him less of a proper berserker, not more of one, if you ask me).

As for the next video, I'm also putting in my vote for Sorceress, partly because I always want to take the newby out for a spin, and partly to see how she stacks up against the Wizard.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Random question - did anyone else notice that the Sorceress's armor has nipple-spikes? And am I the only one curious as to why? I mean, if she's into that, fine, but is this really the kind of thing to wear when going into battle?

I'm putting way too much thought into this, aren't I?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I'm honestly a bit torn. We've got two new guys to try out, and we're what, half way through the Dark campaign?

I think switch it up - Bombardier and Goblin, in whatever order you prefer.

re: this video:

First - I think we finally have an answer to where the Light campaign wizard was hanging out. Guess he was the lame one who didn't get to spend his life in magical suspended-animation bubble. Or he was the one that got sent out on grocery runs or whatever and happened to miss the invasion.

Second - I didn't mention this last time, but I like that the secret staircase in Zale's Mansion of Mystery looks like the Dreg'Atar/Pokeball symbol. I'm not sure why it's there, but I like it.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

JawaKnight posted:

The next mission is a frontal assault on a well defended fortress, and from here on out the enemy ranks will be filled with Huntresses and Archers, and almost everyone will be in full armor. Choose our next character wisely (although it's probably gonna be the Lich:hb:, because she's new).

Gee, it's like you've figured out the totally obvious trend.

re: totally weird and impractical armor discussion

As crazy as wings on helmets is, the armor used by Polish Hussars is even crazier. They were also called "Winged Hussars", and the reason is pretty obvious:

That's right - their armor has friggin' wings. Why are they there? No idea. Does it matter? Not in the slightest.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Fist, I'll also vote Sorceress.

RE: Legends of the Hidden Temple - I don't remember all the teams, but I believe one of them was barracuda. Also, I've seen at least one trailer for a TV movie based on the game show. Is there noting that won't be made the basis for a movie these days?

Also, I feel really old, because I remember all those game shows you guys mentioned, if only vaguely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I heartily recommend watching the MST3K episode of Sampson vs. the Vampire Women. It's so absurd in the most glorious ways. When the eponymous Sampson first shows up, he literally just walks into this guy's office, in full luchador get-up (including, I believe, no shirt) and it's treated as being totally normal.

Also, it's one of the many episodes available on the official MST3K youtube page, so you literally have no reason not to watch it.

• Locked thread