Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I see what they were going for with the the true ending, but it was excuted pretty poorly.

So Bruce Wayne pretended to blow himself up, has abandoned the Batman persona and is stalking criminals from the shadows, possibly using fear toxin?

I guess it's meant to be like the bit in Year One were Bruce tries to fight crime as just some guy and gets beaten up and decides he needs to adopt an identity, but now he's got more resources and experience? If Alfred moves all the important stuff down to the Batcave, they could operate out of there for years with all the Wayne money and the Bat Family helping out. The idea of Batman going back into the shadows and becoming an urban myth again is a cool epilogue, they really should have made that scene longer and give it more space to breathe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair there is no proof that it's Bruce at the end. He might have legitimately blown himself up and the mantle was taken up by one of the various "successors" throughout the game. It's super unlikely but that would be an interesting reveal for a theoretical next Arkham game if it wanted to continue from this point. You spend the first part of the game as new Fear Batman and at some point you head back to the Batcave, take off the mask and it's not Bruce. It's actually Dick/Jason/Azreal/Tim.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Alfred is stupidly loyal if they did blow themselves up for real though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

OldMemes posted:

Alfred is stupidly loyal if they did blow themselves up for real though.

Clearly he was the one who went down into the Bat-Cave and set off the bomb, the Alfred at the door is an automated Robot/Doll meant to fool people. One last service to master Wayne before he moves on to serve the various wards picked up over the years.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's actually Dick/Jason/Azreal/Tim.

Of those, I could only see it being Tim given how things go in A Flip of a Coin.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I kind of want to see an AzBats Arkham game now. You swing around on grappling hook guns and impale criminals on your gnarly talon hands.

It'd be the most 90s thing ever.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
My takeaway is that games that come out of the triple-A franchise game factory have bad stories.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The meaning of the true ending is ambiguous. No one knows who that is at the end, if it's residual fear gas, or what.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I get ambiguous, but that was just unclear.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Killing Joke- I'm personally not a fan. For a showcase of Joker and Batman's characters, I far prefer Mad Love from Batman TAS. It of course has a more empowering badass female in it too- no offense to Barbara, who gets her own back in Batman Beyond from the same producers.

My all-time Batman line is from the episode in reference to Harley- "She came closer to killing me than you ever did, Pudding."

Why couldn't the writers of these games get the best Batman writers along with the voices? :sigh:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

achtungnight posted:

My all-time Batman line is from the episode in reference to Harley- "She came closer to killing me than you ever did, Pudding."

My favorite is "Puddin'!" "At this point, he probably is."

It's like, drat, Bruce! But on the other hand, you know that's how the Joker would want it :3:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

dscruffy1 posted:

You guys, I'm starting to think Batman might be bad. I watched the Killing Joke movie and it just seemed...uninspired. The extra intro bit didn't do anything, the little post-credits bit was a little neato I guess. The scene with Batman and Joker laughing at the end kinda reminded me of Tidus in Final Fantasy X. Eh! It is what it is.

Audio Tapes/Polsy

This video doesn't have any of me in it, just audio tapes. It works similar to Arkham City where uncovering a certain set of riddles will unlock the tape, and usually the speaker in the tapes are tied to a certain area. Stagg's tapes are tied to the airship riddles, for instance. I'll be back and working on the other Arkham episodes and some easter eggs next week!

Grant Morrison probably had the best take at Batman laughing at the end because it really is the Last Joker Story. Batman's finally had it, Joker's told the Killing Joke and Batman reaches out, snaps J's neck, and that's why laughter stops abruptly and the light goes out in the end. Because they failed the last chance to cross the flashlight bridge because Joker doesn't believe Batman or anyone can help him.

Also Happy 50th Anniversary of the Batman film. The 1966 one with the crazy bomb scene.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 31, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When it comes to the Joker and BAtman's relationship, the Batman Beyond movie has an amazing scene where he is dealing with Terry McGuiness. Terry is warned by Bruce that the Joker likes to talk and will try to get in his head - Terry's response: "Wait. I like to talk too."

He then proceeds to deconstruct the Joker mercilessly, laughing at his failures, and when the Joker tells him to stop laughing, his response is "Why? I thought you always wanted to make the Batman laugh!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LikMS5gDDI

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 2, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

When it comes to the Joker and BAtman's relationship, the Batman Beyond movie has an amazing scene where he is dealing with Terry McGuiness. Terry is warned by Bruce that the Joker likes to talk and will try to get in his head - Terry's response: "Wait. I like to talk too."

He then proceeds to deconstruct the Joker mercilessly, laughing at his failures, and when the Joker tells him to stop laughing, his response is "Why? I thought you always wanted to make the Batman laugh!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LikMS5gDDI

My favorite scene in anything Batman related. And the way it ends is fantastic. If only anything in the Arkham games was as good, I might detest them somewhat less.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Telltale Batman looks pretty interesting.

I like how the choices are basically between being standard Batman and Origins Batman. :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

KieranWalker posted:

My favorite scene in anything Batman related. And the way it ends is fantastic. If only anything in the Arkham games was as good, I might detest them somewhat less.

It's about as good as some of his lines from JL/U Like "I can, and you will" and "Oh wait, I did."

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Just a little bit more to go! Here's the easter eggs video I've been working on, it's got some alternate dialogue from driving Two-Face and Penguin to GCPD after the reveal, the evidence room, and lots of good stuff! Also the Red Hood story pack and the Robin postgame episode.

Extras and Errata/Polsy

The Red Hood/Polsy

Flip of a Coin/Polsy

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Can't say I'm a big fan of the Red Hood.
Also wasn't one of Black Mask's characteristics that he's basically fearless? He looked like it in Origins.
The Robin section looked fun with good dialogue and it's nice to see someone actually not aiming straight at the shield when shooting at Robin, though it's a shame that the way it's framed is that Two-Face shot the shield away with the first bullet instead of just shooting straight at the exposed foot. :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jesus gently caress, Jason.

Edit: Also, Barb, Tim was complaining about the lack of beaches, not you.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 3, 2016

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The other thing Knightmare difficulty does is it exhausts your fear takedown when a thug spots you during predator sections.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Telltale Batman looks pretty interesting.

I like how the choices are basically between being standard Batman and Origins Batman. :allears:

Well, its a little bit more varied as you can even be soft batman like when he's seen being openly caring about the safety of criminals such as Catwoman, a thief he just met that he almost accidentally kills and beats up, or be a Bruce Wayne that literally poo poo talks mob bosses instead of being a nice playboy. I won't sugar coat it by saying I'm not entirely convinced Telltale won't muck up what they've started decently in Episode 1: Realm of Shadows, but its going in interestingly different interpretations of Batman.

But I'm not going to twist Scruffy's arm to play it at least until I see every episode.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Talia is alive-it's an easter egg in the League sidequest.

Now that I've seen that easter egg myself, I have got to call bullshit on this. The log is clearly recorded during the events of Arkham City, from before Batman entered Wonder City and had his dreamquest/fight with Ra's, let alone the attempted destruction of Arkham City (which is referenced as "Strange will strike them down at my command," emphasis mine), the next death of Ra's following that, and finally Talia's death following that. Nothing in that log suggests that Talia is still alive. Maybe the newspaper next to the recording, that Scruffy didn't look at, has a hint that Talia is alive, but with only the recording to go off of, I still have to say that Talia is dead

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I liked Robin's episode. He has good back and forth with Oracle (and his nagging at the beginning was absolutely fantastic) and I really liked how Barbara says Robin is not Bats, he'll be better.

How's Telltale Batman? More precisely, is it horribly and stupidly grimdark? Any joybuzzers, mad grins, squirting flowers or chattering teeth in sight, ready to take over the plot?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Omobono posted:

How's Telltale Batman? More precisely, is it horribly and stupidly grimdark? Any joybuzzers, mad grins, squirting flowers or chattering teeth in sight, ready to take over the plot?

There's a lot more gore than have been in any other Batman games. There's one point where you go to a crime scene and extract a bullet from a guy's head, and find the remains (re: intestines) of another person who was killed in an explosion. In terms of whether it's grimdark, though, the setting is dark without being obsessively so. Batman, however, can be as over the top violent or 'by the books' as you want him to be, though. There's a segment where Batman picks up a pipe to interrogate someone and you have a choice to either hit him in the ribs, hit him in the face, or hit a nearby barrel. And that's not even the most over the top choice Batman can get in Episode 1.

At present, the only antagonist is Falcone, though Catwoman, Harvey Dent, and Oswald Cobblepot have all made appearances. No supervillains exist yet aside from Catwoman, that we know of.

It's off to an interesting start, but I am worried that they might try to play it safe and undo the interesting premise they've set up in Episode 1.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 3, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Now that I've seen that easter egg myself, I have got to call bullshit on this. The log is clearly recorded during the events of Arkham City, from before Batman entered Wonder City and had his dreamquest/fight with Ra's, let alone the attempted destruction of Arkham City (which is referenced as "Strange will strike them down at my command," emphasis mine), the next death of Ra's following that, and finally Talia's death following that. Nothing in that log suggests that Talia is still alive. Maybe the newspaper next to the recording, that Scruffy didn't look at, has a hint that Talia is alive, but with only the recording to go off of, I still have to say that Talia is dead

Not what I'm referring to. Check the morgue again.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Not what I'm referring to. Check the morgue again.

I'm not going to record anything else for Arkham Knight STOP BEING loving COY WHAT IS IT ALREADY

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm not going to record anything else for Arkham Knight STOP BEING loving COY WHAT IS IT ALREADY

Sorry, I had thought Oblivion# had played the game themselves, not connecting it with the videos. I discussed this in an earlier post, I think. The morgue in the hospital is filled with the bodies of folks from the intro diner scene who presumably died in the gas attack. One of the other drawers is labeled for Talia al Ghul. It's empty.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

In a similar vein if you go back to the Langstrom lab you can find Francine missing and the words "Forever my love" written on a broken television screen. So she's alive and possibly also a horrific human bat hybrid. If you set your system clock for 31 October 2015 you can also find Kirk himself has escaped the GCPD.

So they get to go off and have horrifying bat human hybrid babies and infest Gotham forever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Omobono posted:

I like it. If you've played one of TT's games before you have a pretty good idea of what to expect here.

The Batman combat scenes are handled entirely through QTE. If you are not down with that, you won't be happy here.
The other Batman scenes we've been given so far are a tour through detective mode, kind of like what we got in Origins. I hope we get more of it.
There is another fun use of it towards the end of this episode that's a little thin, but if it comes with more options later, I'll be a happy boy. I'll spoil it, because I think it's fun, and it's not huge. Batman stakes out a party where armed guards are stationed throughout. Using the detective gimmick, you combine guards with means to take them out: Smashing into a table or using a pillar; Throw the big heavy art piece at him, or take him down through a grate. On the down side, all of these guards only had one connection to make, except one that you could choose between one of two environmental items.

It is a bit on the short side too, as I blasted through episode 1 in a bit over 2 hours, so the whole thing probably clocks in somewhere around 10-12 total. But I enjoyed the full ride.

The majority of the episode you are playing Bruce Wayne, dealing with friends and not so friends. As stated before, you can either be a complete dick to everyone, be Batman '66 levels of polite or be somewhere in-between. As is typical of these games, seemingly small choices can have big impacts later.

I heard some people say that there are problems with the PC version, but I was fine. I only noticed one bug, which is that if you access part of the Batcomputer before the game tells you to do so explicitly, it got stuck. It was both early and immediately after a save point so not a huge deal, but still, WTF?

Also, the Bruce Wayne model along with the art style make him look kind of like Sterling Archer, so that kind of made it a little weird for me.

As far as any Joker Jacking goes, no sign of him, and if the previews of future things are to be believed, I doubt he's going to show up at all in this. He might come around for a sequel, but looks clear for now.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

CzarChasm posted:

As far as any Joker Jacking goes, no sign of him, and if the previews of future things are to be believed, I doubt he's going to show up at all in this. He might come around for a sequel, but looks clear for now.

I wouldn't mind the Joker if he's the explicit focus of a season from the start, the same way I didn't mind J in Asylum. It's just, let's look at the Arkham games:
-Asylum, billed as a Joker-centric story from the start. Game started with Bats and J in the batmobile, and delivered on the premise.
-City, starting as a Sharp-centric story. Joker takes over the plot halfway through.
-Origins, hello there Black Mask. Hold on, Joker took over the plot before the game even began. That has to be some kind of record.
-Knight, ostensibly Scarecrow-centric or The-Knight-is-totally-not-Jason-Todd-centric. Joker's ghosts(plural) try to take over the plot. Again.

Thanks for the answers, guys, I'll check that out once a couple more episodes are done.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Joker kind of took over City's plot around the time you went to the Steel Mill.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I went into City thinking it was a Strange centric plot. I also thought it was bold of them to kill off the Joker and allow themselves to move on in some degree for Knight, so hey turns out I was wrong on a lot of things.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jesus this loving rules, and that ending! :lol:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

radintorov posted:

Also wasn't one of Black Mask's characteristics that he's basically fearless? He looked like it in Origins.

But if we had Black Mask look cool, we wouldn't know that we're supposed to be impressed with our edgy teen anti-hero. :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But if we had Black Mask look cool, we wouldn't know that we're supposed to be impressed with our edgy teen anti-hero. :v:

Well yes. But it's also refreshing to have someone actually follow through on their hyper violent combat. and point blank execution shots are pretty great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Black Mask is supposed to be more and more broken since the peak of his power in AO. Your first (and only, aside from the doofy challenge campaign) sighting of him in AC is him getting tazed right after getting recaptured. He's the worst/most effective of the traditional gangsters in Gotham, and the only one left by the time AO starts. His course over the games represents the normal (well, in his case, "normal") criminal underworld falling to the supervillains.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 4, 2016

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, I had thought Oblivion# had played the game themselves, not connecting it with the videos. I discussed this in an earlier post, I think. The morgue in the hospital is filled with the bodies of folks from the intro diner scene who presumably died in the gas attack. One of the other drawers is labeled for Talia al Ghul. It's empty.

I have played the game myself, but I've also deleted it from my PS4 for space. So, now that you've said what it is, I'll say fair enough. However, I do wonder why Talia would have a spot in the same morgue as the diner victims, rather than, well, any of the other hospitals or morgues closer to where and when she died.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I have played the game myself, but I've also deleted it from my PS4 for space. So, now that you've said what it is, I'll say fair enough. However, I do wonder why Talia would have a spot in the same morgue as the diner victims, rather than, well, any of the other hospitals or morgues closer to where and when she died.

Because then they couldn't have reused the Easter egg from asylum.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You know what, it was really satisfying just watching someone go around shooting all these criminals in the face after watching you play all the other games.

Sure throwing dudes into oblivion in Asylum was fun, but this was more satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news! IT'S OVER! I've pretty much LP-uninstalled this game, likely to never be touched again. It's been fun!

GCPD Lockdown/Polsy

Catwoman's Revenge/Polsy

• Locked thread