Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You did it, you played all four three Batman games for us, your loving audience!

And one spin off I suppose. Seriously though, it's been fun! Thanks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Can I imagine that Cash was intercepting that call, he was ready to interrupt it and then when he heard Catwoman he laughed, grabbed a bag of popcorn and rerouted it to the GCPD intercom?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"Sure is a shame that Bruce is MIA and never going to return. But at least you're rich, right Lucius." "Hell yeah."

Did that interaction bother anyone else? Why doesn't anyone mention what happened to Bruce? :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

These all seem way better than the actual game, especially red hood. That seems like the game they wanted to make, with the brutal takedowns and all, but they're trapped by the "no-kill" rule.

This seems way less fun than the others, but I do like the fact that Catwoman is way better at taking down Riddler than dumb grimdark Batman.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Batman, however, can be as over the top violent or 'by the books' as you want him to be, though.
As by-the-books as "duly deputised agent of the law" Batman 66? Because that's one of my favourite things about that show.

CzarChasm posted:

If you've played one of TT's games before you have a pretty good idea of what to expect here.
So, choices that seem like they should be significant but obviously aren't, quicktime events that just repreat until you get them right, and annoying old-fashioned adventure game puzzles?

Omobono posted:

I wouldn't mind the Joker if he's the explicit focus of a season from the start, the same way I didn't mind J in Asylum. It's just, let's look at the Arkham games:
-Asylum, billed as a Joker-centric story from the start. Game started with Bats and J in the batmobile, and delivered on the premise.
-City, starting as a Sharp-centric story. Joker takes over the plot halfway through.
-Origins, hello there Black Mask. Hold on, Joker took over the plot before the game even began. That has to be some kind of record.
-Knight, ostensibly Scarecrow-centric or The-Knight-is-totally-not-Jason-Todd-centric. Joker's ghosts(plural) try to take over the plot. Again.

Thanks for the answers, guys, I'll check that out once a couple more episodes are done.
This is certainly significant, but it's also a matter of variety. I don't have a problem with the Joker. In moderation, he's a fine villain. But when it's always the Joker and even when it looks like it's going to be someone else it turns out to be the Joker, that's an issue. I liked The Dark Knight when it came out, but I think if it came out now I just wouldn't see it because I'd see it was the Joker again and just ignore it. There are so many unique and interesting Batman villains, why does everyone want to do the Joker?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 5, 2016

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
I believe it has to do with this idea that, while Batman has loads of villains, the Joker is perceived as his One True Nemesis. Everyone wants to do the Big Story, the climactic confrontation, the final showdown. So every writer tagged for a Batman game goes for that, even though it's been done before four times now and the fans want a game centered on someone else, anyone else.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I think I'm going to stand by this quote:

Felinoid posted:

On a related note, I really wish they would release the Season of Infamy stuff as a standalone. I'd love to play as Harley, Batgirl, Catwoman, and whoever else (been feeling a little Bat-hungry lately), but gently caress buying or playing Batmobile Simulator 2015 just to get to them.

Rocksteady, Warner Brothers... make it happen. Please.

E: I know they'd charge like $40 for just the side stories, but I'd still get it.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Probably because while superman has lots of villains, when you say superman you immediately think lex luther.

Same thing for Batman and Joker.

That said holy hell the side stories were much better than the main game. Probably because their plot is 90% saturday morning cartoon banter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I believe it has to do with this idea that, while Batman has loads of villains, the Joker is perceived as his One True Nemesis. Everyone wants to do the Big Story, the climactic confrontation, the final showdown. So every writer tagged for a Batman game goes for that, even though it's been done before four times now and the fans want a game centered on someone else, anyone else.

Writers don't decide that, the IP holder and publisher do.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Omobono posted:

Can I imagine that Cash was intercepting that call, he was ready to interrupt it and then when he heard Catwoman he laughed, grabbed a bag of popcorn and rerouted it to the GCPD intercom?
Sounds fair, given the previous hard night. Cash has struck me as the sort of person who takes what levity he can get, given the situation with his hand and all.

What are the regulations on US police wiretapping outgoing calls made by prisoners, anyway?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I hope that whoever designed that final Catwoman fight gets blackballed from the video games industry because of it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow. Besides from Jason, the other episodes were actually really drat funny. And looked fun! If Arkham Knight was by Snyder, this was more like '66.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You know, I get the feeling Rocksteady would really love to make a Punisher game...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I like the endings of the Nightwing and Catwoman DLC's the best. Nightwing because of how Oswald reacts after coming off the elevator, and Catwoman's because she gets her comeuppance on Eddie for the previous night.

Although I'm sad she didn't leave enough money to pay Riddler's goons. They were so convinced that they would be paid!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Both Dead Space and this game's junction/etc. boxes have doors made of butter. Just one hand to peel off the door?! Gosh, I require two hands just to crack open an orange.

"They don't have shirts and they have swords." My god, it's worse armoring than metal battle bikinis. Penguin wandering out trying to light his cigar right into Nightwing was great.

I have to say I kind of prefer Nightwings and Red hood's finale episodes better. Catwoman is just a rehash of junk we've seen before. Or maybe I'm just tired of this game.

Thank you for playing through this, Scruffy! You have saved many people's sanity by showing it off so they don't have to endure such a good and wonderful Jokerjacked plot.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
God I love Nightwing in this game.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

dscruffy1 posted:

Good news! IT'S OVER! I've pretty much LP-uninstalled this game, likely to never be touched again. It's been fun!

GCPD Lockdown/Polsy

Catwoman's Revenge/Polsy

The dialogue in both of these is really great, it's just such a shame that the Catwoman episode has the objectively worst combat challenge in the entire series. I don't even remember how many times it took me to get through wave 3. My strategy for the end was just to let the freeflow die, since counters and attacks don't move you as much outside of freeflow.

Thanks for doing the entire series, Scruffy! You did a fine job, even if it finally inflicted Bat-Burnout on you in the end.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Tiggum posted:

These all seem way better than the actual game, especially red hood. That seems like the game they wanted to make, with the brutal takedowns and all, but they're trapped by the "no-kill" rule.

My favourite part of that is that Red Hood's lethal fuse box takedown is exactly the same as Batman's "non-lethal" fuse box takedown. Although Nightwing in general is definitely a close second, with Riddler's exasperation right behind him.

Thanks Scruffy, for suffering through this for us all (multiple times!). I'm happy to say that I removed this game from my Steam wishlist and set it to Do Not Follow a while back so that I can ignore it forevermore. Make sure to treat yourself to some good games for a while; something not bogged down by the absurd writing demands of distant executives or excessive game bloat. Firewatch, or something.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I mean... the whole (main) Arkham series are still all good games, Knight included. There's just so much bad along with the good in Knight that it brings down the experience, but as far as the "Be the Batman" premise across the whole series, it still does that well. Stalking unsuspecting goons across rooftops is still fun, though not quite as much as indoor Predator sections in the previous games, and they did a lot to give you many options for Combat sections, though more than was really needed. Hmm, putting it like that... well, I still liked it, but you're certainly right about

WFGuy posted:

bogged down by the absurd writing demands of distant executives or excessive game bloat.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It also really need to be noted that Arkham Asylum was a huge breath of fresh air, both for its stealth and melee combat. A huge number of game have been influenced by the Arkham take on those systems.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Having played all the Arkham games, I have to say each has its ups and downs. I liked Asylum's story, Origins' boss battles, City's dialogue, and Knight's Batman vs. Militia aspects (except the Arkham Knight, he totally sucked as a character and would have been cooler if they had done something original as promised- Quincy Sharp's son would have totally fit IMO). The Predator and Combat systems are overall awesome. If Rocksteady were to make a Punisher game, I'd be all over it. Spider-Man too, although they would need some help giving it proper boss battles. Goblin, Kingpin, Shocker, Rhino, Vulture, Sandman, Mysterio, and Scorpion should all be included for best results.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'd say the big things that the Arkham games needed were a method of ending combat section more quickly once you have thinned out the numbers, and therefore the challenge, and a system to reward freaking out/loving with enemies in Predatory mode. I'd would have been great to see Fear takedowns attached to both.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

It also really need to be noted that Arkham Asylum was a huge breath of fresh air, both for its stealth and melee combat. A huge number of game have been influenced by the Arkham take on those systems.

Yeah, there's this thing about trend-setting games, they tend to be so awesome that they inspire a horde of imitators and even their own sequels might wear out the formula.

See also Resident Evil 4, which pretty much blasted open the third-person shooter genre for over a decade.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

I've pretty much LP-uninstalled this game, likely to never be touched again. It's been fun!

This is a funny juxtaposition.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

cokerpilot posted:

God I love Nightwing in this game.

If we can't have an Arkham 66 game, I want a Nightwing game.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

If we can't have an Arkham 66 game, I want a Nightwing game.

That... sounds fun, actually. At the very least, it'll be pretty witty. Unless DC and Warner Bros. want to continue the whole "everyone is never not miserable" thing which is pretty frustrating on many levels.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

I guess Arkham is like Zelda 64 in that respect.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Agreed. Nightwing games need to be happy and fun. Unless we're playing as Nytewyng, then we can get as broody and depressing as we want with tons of Game-Overs. Lame imitators like him deserve that.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Brutakas posted:

I hope that whoever designed that final Catwoman fight gets blackballed from the video games industry because of it.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I played it. And played it. And played it. And hated it. And played it. And finally beat it.

It's really quite frustrating because it feels like the increasing tight movement constraints are very much at odds with how the fighting system works at a fundamental level. Normally, you have no problem with the system's trade of fine-grained movement and position control for the smooth, fluid combat. Then you get to this section and you suddenly need to be very much in control of where you are -- and you just can not do it.

If you look for help on the internet, people will tell you that this isn't the challenge. This is actual just a delayed failure state. The challenge is to beat up all those drat robots before the arena contracts too far. You have to fight with near perfection to do it, but if you do that part right then you don't really run into the mobility problem. My successful run completed with plenty of room to move around -- and I'd only been struck twice. Very annoying.

Still better than the achievement for beating up Killer Croc in challenge mode by getting over a million score in one of the endless arenas.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Look, we all know the Arkham series is too much of a cash cow to die off. They'll call the new one Arkham Alliance or something and it will be a bunch of heroes defending Gotham until the return of the One True Batman while he tricks everyone into thinking that no, Crane just dressed him up like a superhero because he's crazy or something.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So really, what was stopping Scarecrow from just skipping to Step 52 of his master plan and just kidnapping Robin and forcing Batman to reveal his identity to the world?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Robin wasn't locked up in a cell with no ability to fight back. I'm thinking that whilst we were doing the raid on the Arkham Militia base is when Scarecrow got Robin, he probably did whatever Harley did to get inside the first time and picked him up from the cage Batman put him in.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Look, we all know the Arkham series is too much of a cash cow to die off. They'll call the new one Arkham Alliance or something and it will be a bunch of heroes defending Gotham until the return of the One True Batman while he tricks everyone into thinking that no, Crane just dressed him up like a superhero because he's crazy or something.
Well there's Clayface and they also have Hush around so perhaps?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lord_Magmar posted:

Robin wasn't locked up in a cell with no ability to fight back. I'm thinking that whilst we were doing the raid on the Arkham Militia base is when Scarecrow got Robin, he probably did whatever Harley did to get inside the first time and picked him up from the cage Batman put him in.

He used Gordon to get in since the computer had Gordon's face in the system already as referenced in the flashback.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

He kidanpped Barbara though, so what was stopping him from using her as a hostage to make Robin show up exactly?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Because the point is to break Batman. Everything tonight, even the side-quests, are meant to grind Batman down until he's destroyed.

Scarecrow doesn't just want to win, he wants a total victory. He wants Batman to never have had a chance in the first place and to prove that his fear is more powerful than Batman.

Also Robin was in isolation even before that, and Scarecrow doesn't know where he is until presumably one of Harley's Goons manages to tell him about Panama Studios, or he learns from Gordon using the fear toxin.

This also might be one of those things where Jason is not quite following Scarecrow's plan. I think you can learn that he went out of his way to make sure Barbara was comfortable during her kidnapping, after all he has no personal issues with the rest of the Bat family, he just hates Batman and can separate the two.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Now do Arkham Origins Blackgate :kheldragar: actually no, that game is unplayably bad.

Thanks for a good LP - I don;t have a current gen console, so this was a really nice way to experience the game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I just started playing Arkham City last night, immediately after finishing Arkham Asylum, and I'm overwhelmed by all the poo poo going on. That is, I'm hearing a ringing phone and three different people talking all at once. I take it this was a common complaint?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I just started playing Arkham City last night, immediately after finishing Arkham Asylum, and I'm overwhelmed by all the poo poo going on. That is, I'm hearing a ringing phone and three different people talking all at once. I take it this was a common complaint?

Isn't that what all modern open-world games are?

• Locked thread