Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.

TCat posted:

See here's my problem with that is the whole not killing thing is supposed to prove he's better than the criminals he faces and was more something he developed over time not just because MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEEEAAAAAD like the reason there's the "Batman doesn't use guns" argument, which has been confirmed multiple times to be bullshit and not the actual reason he doesn't use guns. Or at least it's not the reason I accept he doesn't use guns, I'm more a firm believer of the Batman Odyssey logic where when he was younger he used them with non-lethal rounds but realized that having a gun makes people more likely to shoot you and try to be accurate than if you're just an unarmed rear end in a top hat in a bat costume doing Judo.

The problem is people that write and create Batman stuff while hammering that in don't actually take into account what would be lethal because they're too busy doing the cool way out of laziness. If Batman had a helicopter with a gatling gun he'd load it up with like rounds that he could shoot the street with to cause some kind of sticky fluid and stop a truck, not just plain normal rear end bullets. But because Frank Miller made a gritty what if future where he's an angry hermit coming out retirement using sniper rifles and killing people because he has no choice, everyone is like "well gently caress it then, let's just put a sticker that says I don't kill on it then just throw normal poo poo in there, nobody will notice". So what you get is instead of Batman, the loving Punisher if he had a delusional complex where he said "nah they just became unconscious", and considering even the 90s Spider-Man cartoon version of Punisher with laser weapons because Normal Guns and Death is censored....still tried to kill people and admit to it, so that makes the Batman thing even stupider.

'I don't have a gun, so the bad guys should be less accurate,' sounds a lot dumber then the 'I won't use a gun because that's what killed my family' angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.
I think the developers thought the idea of driving a bat tank around Gotham blowing up other tanks was a cool idea. Maybe we should just leave it at that?

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.

CJacobs posted:

Batman having a plan to kill all his friends (edit: and himself) which he does not keep secret from them in the slightest is probably my favorite thing about the guy.

I'm recalling this from the Justice League cartoon, but wasn't his plan simply to disable, and not to kill, the other members? I'm pretty sure it was a secret there too but it was revealed to the others which is what caused a shitstorm.

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.

Kurieg posted:

I can't remember if the justice league cartoon did this, I do know Justice League: Doom did, and it had a pretty great exchange.

"With all that talk about unchecked power, you're still so arrogant you didn't bother to come up with a plan to stop yourself?"
"I do have a plan, it's called the Justice League."

It also has Superman tacitly approving of Batman's tactics while disapproving of his methods.

Yeah this is the one I was thinking about. I've always liked the interaction between Batman and Superman. I can't wait for the upcoming movie to ruin it.

• Locked thread