Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
I wonder why the officer at the beginning expected a power struggle after the Joker's death. I didn't really think the Joker was known for his organized crime? Like what power gap does a thief and mass murderer leave? Was he known for his extortion or drug dealing?

And by 100% do you mean what the game defines as 100% or everything with a completion percentage attached? Cause I noticed you have a file at 103%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

We already dealt with a Joker body double in City, I wouldn't put it past him to be pulling a Revolver Ocelot triple ruse cruise.

I can't believe Scarecrow is being possessed by the Joker's right arm

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

In Alabama you take a short driving test that basically tests if you can hold a wheel, follow the speed limit, and turn around, and then you're good to go. Aside from that test, you need to have had a permit for 6 months. You don't technically need to drive during those 6 months.

And like, transferring this almost no requirement license to another state just required a small written test.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Batman like, always comes across as more distractingly infallible than Superman to me. Cause he's super prone to being written as unquestionably stronger than Superheroes, often with other heroes being written as idiots.

Like a badly written Superman story is just a boring story about superman being an dumb unstoppable beat stick, but badly written Batman story will be about like, how everyone, including like all of the Justice League, loves and fears this jerk with expensive toys who is openly hostile to everyone else, and also all of the other superheroes are idiots and if only batman had their powers he'd use them right.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Also, I find it funny it seems that everyone's favorite Superman moments are when he acts human while everyone's worst Batman moments are when he acts inhuman.
My favorite Superman moments celebrate superman and his relationship with the people around him, or humanity as a whole. My worst batman moments are when Batman and his writers just poo poo on everyone else to try and make Batman look better. Like for real I think some writers for Batman just really want "Lex Luthor, but everyone likes him and he's right"

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

For how obnoxious Harley was in the previous games, sure is nice to see her kick some rear end.

I love the idea that like, Batman trained for like, a decade with ninja assassins to be the sneaky super fighter he is now, and this deranged ex-psychiatrist is basically as good at fighting as Batman.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Veotax posted:

Man, the Batman Beyond skin for this game is terrible. Pretty much all the other skins are as far as I know pretty faithful recreations, but Rocksteady decided to put their own 'spin' on the Beyond suit.

What is this garbage?

Clearly, what this game needs is Nomura Batman

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

hard counter posted:

The only point I disagree with - Nightwing also got clowned in this game and I'm pretty sure Barbara was chosen for kidnapping for strictly plot reasons in that it stokes tensions between Gordon and Bruce and it's also a good way of stoking Bruce's own paranoia re: how much his enemies know. It's neither abnormal weakness nor unexpected inside the game's own narrative.

The thing about frustrating or problematic tropes, or any, really, is they can be as internally logical as the writer wants. The writer has full control over the story and can weave it however they'd like to make an outcome completely make sense.

When people express frustration with that it's not just that "Oh well this is dumb in the story" or "this is out of character", but like "Oh hey another story decided to kill the black guy" or "God dammit the only good woman got helplessly kidnapped in yet another story". Because here's the deal: the writers could simply not do that, and make not doing that be logical. The fact that it's in the story was their deliberate choice.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Is there a woman in this game who doesn't get helplessly captured at some point? I'd assume maybe Poison Ivy could have gotten out on her own if batman hadn't dealt with the other guards, but the rest of this game doesn't exactly inspire confidence on that matter. Like even with batman dealing with the half dozen extra guards, she gets out because the scarecrow wanted to show off his gas on one of his own soldiers.

Also I love that the robots can be stunned like they're people.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

Whilst it would've been nice to have a different hostage I personally find it more likely that Riddler somehow capture Catwoman than any other potential ally here. It's also interesting that whilst those captured are Oracle and Catwoman the reason they're captured is because they are indeed more vulnerable than most of Batman's other allies.

No, you're setting up some sorta false dichotomy. There are alternatives to "Capture Catwoman" that aren't "Capture another of Batman's allies". That's the deal like, the plot didn't inherently require that someone be captured so the Riddler could make Batman do things

The Riddler could be actually working with scarecrow, or he could be doing independently bad things that threaten the public or batman personally, like threatening to reveal Batman's identity. The Riddler could have said he had Catwoman, only for Batman to find she's escaped on her own.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

I just wish the Riddler could have riddles more complex than 1 on 1 human interaction (even if that is the hardest challenge he knows). Like even if Batman solves them himself, actually have the Riddler give riddles.

Also when characters point out they're part of a dumb trope and then don't do anything about it, it just makes it worse. Catwoman complaining about just being motivation for Batman doesn't actually change that, no matter how snarky she gets.

FicusArt fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 18, 2016

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

hard counter posted:

I think ultimately we agree on at least a few points (all this potentially sexist stuff is distressingly front-loaded to the early game and isn't great) but imho the audience's own cultural climate shouldn't overly color their analysis of a game or other works (it should be treated like its in a vacuum)
I disagree because they weren't created in a vacuum. At best I feel you can argue that you should analyze a work within the cultural climate it came from. But these were crafted by people who come from about the same cultural climate we do. They know exactly what their choices mean too, and want us to know. Catwoman whines about it.

Edit: also, even if you analyze this game in a vaccuum, THIS IS THE FOURTH NAMED WOMAN IN A ROW SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAS HAPPENED WITH, AND ONLY FIVE HAVE SHOWN UP. Are you saying we analyze each individual instance like it happened in a vaccuum, separate from the others in this game?

FicusArt fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 20, 2016

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

So, aside from you you seem to think regular firefighters are comparable to women like Poison Ivy and Nyssa. And that largely, named male characters like the Riddler, Scarecrow, the Arkham Knight, the Mad Hatter, and such have had plenty of agency in what happens to them and those around them, and on screen.

But hey, you say we'e got two directly comparable things going on here so let's compare.

hard counter posted:

Ras, Batman's number 2 adversary of all time, was Nyssa's precise mirror in this most recent side plot, sharing a linked fate hinging on Batman's critical thinking, making the two exactly comparable.

When you side with Nyssa, and she tries to finish off Ra's, batman easily stops her, and she leaves. Ra's approves of Batman not reviving him, because Batman's actions line up with what Ra's wanted.

When you revive Ras and he goes to kill Nyssa, Batman watches him do it, and she's helpless against him despite also being a highly trained ninja. Then Ra's escapes, to lick his wounds because he apparently just killed a ninja and escaped batman without issue while still being out of it from his fresh revival. Then Nyssa uses her dying breath to validate Batman's choices and let us know his dead girlfriend would have approved.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Fionordequester posted:

Here's the flipside to that though. If you go out of your way to remind people TOO often, to the point of annoyance, that's actually going to make them LESS likely to listen to you. Instead of associating your message with good things, they'll associate it with "oh gosh, it's one of THOSE people again...sigh...". It's basically the Malcom X approach vs. the Martin Luther King approach.

To be fair, Martin Luther King Jr. in his day was treated as one of THOSE people. He hadn't yet been killed and turned into some meme-ified ideal for white people to use against the wrong kind of black people.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Fionordequester posted:

But he certainly isn't remembered as "one of THOSE people", was he? Heck, even Jesus was "one of THOSE people", before Christianity got started. What's important here, though, is that the detractors of both those people were wrong. If they were actually RIGHT about those two people? Well then, they would have had a lot less impact than they ended up having.

He isn't remembered as 'one of those people' because he isn't actually remembered culturally as he was. He's been replaced with some safe fabrication. A symbol that upholds the status queue.

Edit: The reason I say this, is because his modern counterparts are still treated as "Those people"

FicusArt fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 22, 2016

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

It's actively exhausting how hard this game is hammering women being kidnapped and killed as motivation for batman, or otherwise being used as plot balls.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

3. Apparently, in the novelization, Scarecrow knew from the outset that Batman had Joker disease and had been spraying him with Fear Gas the whole night to exacerbate the effects. Here, he just... seems to be trying it a bunch, because he hasn't learned from Asylum, I guess. Though, kidnapping Barbara probably did help his belief of it working better.

Really? The idea that Batman is reacting to scarecrow's fear toxin in ways that the scarecrow had no clue would happen is actually something I kinda like tho. Like Scarecrow wants to reveal Batman as a simpering scared baby, and instead he's getting an even better Joker. And like, what do you do with that? And to his credit, Scarecrow is handling it.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

SaffronKit posted:

It's me, I'm gonna be the guy is okay with this. While it can be considered bad writing, I feel like this is a choice that wasn't made lightly. It does really highlight Batman's insecurities as a character, and frankly it would have gotten the same reaction out of him no matter who it happened to, woman or not. Hell if it had been Robin it probably would have had the same effect on Bruce and people wouldn't have been nearly as pissed off by Rocksteady's choices.

And whether or not you agree on if it was a good or bad choice to choose Barbra, I think we can all agree it has a big impact. Especially if it made Scruffy take a break from the game the first time around. I'm still kind of reeling from it myself.

Jump scares can get people to jump but that doesn't make them truly scary the same way that building dread can be. Pay attention to how a lot of us aren't all going "Oh no Barbara why you, why did you have to go so young, so pure" or whatever. We' not enthralled by the story and drawn in, we're frustrated or mad with Rocksteady, and how it apparently thinks of strong women characters, seeing how it has literally everyone in the game treats them as motivation or plot balls.

That's not good writing. That's not the impact a story should be evoking.

And as "What if it was a dude instead" keep being brought up through this thread.
1) The answer to women being treated as non entities, who are just here to motivate someone else isn't to do it to a dude instead. We want women to be treated with respect, and given agency. We want rolemodels, not a list of dudes who got the same treatment used as a way to shut down complaints.
2) There is no shortage of guys given agency. For every guy who's used as a plot device, there's a hundred more main and side character men who aren't. Women don't have that same untouchable buffer. It's like taking cookies from a pile, where guys have 100, and women have 10. Taking one from both is 'equal', but doesn't result in equality. So yes, it happening to women is more frustrating that it happening to men.

And like, the reason this point seems so potentially real, and not obviously a hallucination is because Rocksteady has spent the whole game up to this point demonstrating it has no respect for any of these women. That it doesn't even consider this a major choice, like killing a man would have been. If it had been, Batman would have probably gotten some prompt to make the choice like with Ra's.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Ivy can talk with plants as if they are people. Either she is insane and not actually hearing plants, or it's not at all unreasonable that she responds to the mistreatment of plants as if it was mass murder

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Clearly the reason for all the bat-branding is when Batman got his first Robin, Robin through batman was a funny name and called everything "Bat-thing". And Batman, being a good Dad, played along. But now everyone just assumes that the bat obsession is a thing batman does, and he can't stop anymore.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

If he was here I'm sure he has a cool 1v1 boss fight to do like in Origins, and definitely not a bat mobile tank fight. Man wouldn't that be a huge letdown !

I feel like you are doing a sarcasm and Deathstroke in fact has the biggest meanest tank that batman can tank fight with his tank, but it tanks all his tank rounds until your find the tank's weakspot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Omobono posted:

Yep, but it wasn't an iconic line at the time.
Now it's iconic, so if you use it at all, if you cash in that nostalgia chip, I'd say it's better to use on the (ostensibly) main villain.
(:goonsay: of course. It's an incredibly minor complaint, I just wanted to rant a bit about the Jokerjack)

The line isn't really for other people though? Like it's Batman reasserting himself to himself.

E: Batman on national tv, unmasked, ranting about how he's the scary big batman would be the silliest thing.

• Locked thread