Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Dooky Dingo posted:

I got really mad about that in the latest batman movie too.
The fact that Batman doesn't kill people is an actual PLOT point, with Catwoman even commenting, "Maybe you need to rethink this whole 'no killing' thing".
Like, a scene later, batman opens fire with the bat-copter and straight up murders the driver of a truck.
Shoots him right in the chest.
No one says a loving WORD about it. It's just completely dropped.

maybe catwoman actually got to batman and he did rethink it

sounds like maybe batman did some real growing up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

At the time I would have been playing AK on the PC, avoided it it for obvious reasons. I've been looking forward to this LP a while now :v:

Polaron posted:

Well he was just cremated but on the other hand we have Scarecrow running around so chances are pretty much 100% that we'll have a Joker-related hallucination.

God I hope it'll just be the one sequence. The discussion in Origins LP really soured me on the clown.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

A Superman game would be fine bearing in mind that the arkham games did throw every available villain at Batman in a single chaotic night with city/island spanning mega schemes. The arkham games did not, in fact, consist of regular boring patrols where Bruce easily kung fu annihilates a lone mugger or two and calls it a night so there's no reason to think that a Superman game would just have him handle mundane issues either.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Riddler's stink lines of mystery were my favorite part of the promo art.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

That doesn't necessary mean the ideals he stands for is a cultural thing, it's just that some of Superman's best writing comes from when his principles are doing the talking instead of his powers - like when he genuinely talks down a criminal from doing the wrong thing instead of just hurling them into a jail cell at the speed of sound.

Batman has a similar thing going where the stories that feature his non-kung fu destruction side resonate more with fans.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Speaking of radiation and old comics back in the 40s Batman would cake the poo poo out of prisoner seat of the bat-mobile with radioactive dust so if he was transporting someone that later managed to escape, he could track that prisoner with a geiger counter :allears:

The no kill policy was pretty lax back then.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh, both are boring, which is why Batman v. Superman needs Doomsday to actually try to draw people in.

Superman I was one of the most well-received comic book films of all time, critically speaking. Thanks to its great performance at the box office, 2nd of 1978 iirc, it's credited alongside star wars for the revival of hollywood's interest in the science fiction/fantasy genre. Superman can definitely be done well with the right effort in mind. Superman modernizes very poorly, however, since grim and gritty has been the chic for a couple decades now and it seems like reboots want to have a modern Superman character, rather than tell a modern Superman story, and that doesn't mesh well overall. You can do a darker else-worlds totalitarian Superman to dip into trendy modern grimness but not a mainline one imho.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Skrewtape posted:

I'm not as much of a Batman expert as many people in the thread, so I'm curious -- does Batman usually come off as such a huge rear end in a top hat?

Yes - and to be honest even though it's kind of a grating characterization the comics worked decades for that development (both intentionally and unintentionally). From the 80s on Bats went from being a relatively normal hero with some obsessive compulsive tendencies to being a right rear end in a top hat (I think Morrison fixed him a couple years ago though). Bats slowly became darker and meaner after suffering through a venom addiction, losing a robin, a batgirl, getting his back broken, having Gotham face a major earthquake then a contagion back-to-back, getting framed for murder and so on and so on. By the end of it all he was a rather loathsome person.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

OldMemes posted:

Batman does care about the city though, Bruce Wayne is always shown as donating to charity, and helping out with social work to stop people getting into petty crime by hiring them.

Yeah I'm always surprised that it's batman who gets the most flak for being a brutal, wasteful superhero. On the philanthropic side the Wayne Foundation is big into playing out charitable grass roots solutions to deter crime and foster growth while on the business side Bruce expands his company in such a way it it revitalizes bad neighbors by bringing in jobs and development. Considering that most of Batman's villains go to an asylum where they are theoretically receiving treatment and rehabilitation versus punishment and that Bruce could be doing anything with his billions but instead spends it on equipment that lets him personally protect vulnerable people that the city wouldn't care about and you got the actions of someone who actually cares about the city.

It's just that sometimes he shows it by shattering a terrified mugger's sternum while screaming at him.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair he didn't look particularly beat up at the end there. He looked fully ready to go another 3 rounds but then Ivy dragged him off. So it's more Ivy solved the problem with bullshit plant powers rather than him outright losing to Quinn.

Yeah to me it looked like they went out of their way to work in a graceful loss by intervention even if Dick got slapped around hard in the actual fight. I think they went with a similar route in Origins with Shiva in that it seems like you can beat her silly in free flow but she's actually no worse for wear after.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Iretep posted:

I cant imagine anyone else it could be. If justice league is a thing in this version it could be someone from there but i cant think of anyone except Guy Gardner who hates him this much.

The al Ghuls have a bone to pick w/Bruce too in this continuity. That'd be my outsider pick if they don't just do a retelling of under the red hood.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

rotinaj posted:

Gonna be Jean Paul Valley, and he's gonna have a crazy stupid '90s Batman costume by the end of the game.

people gonna look back at arkham knight's suit one day and say its holograms and tronlights were a stupid 2010s thing

therefore an updated JPV is a good guess

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I admittedly am not much up on the al Ghul family, but I get the impression that R'as al Ghul wouldn't posture and strut at Batman the way Arkham Knight did in the latest update. He'd also have a less colloquial way of phrasing things, not being a native English speaker and all. A Robin does seem to be the most obvious choice, and we've seen two of them so far.

I was thinking lazarus crazy Talia w/voice synthesizer for a ~*plot twist*~ or one of al ghul's named progeny (Nyssa, Dusan) playing up the revenge angle. I think Ras has other unworthy hangers on too that are relatives in some way as well. At least Ras' resources would explain how a merc army happened :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Quiet Python posted:

I like Mark Hamill's performances as the Joker but really? Rocksteady's answer to people maybe being a little sick of the Joker is to kill him off and then immediately bring him back multiplied by 5 and one of his incarnations is imaginary so you can't even punch him in the face?

Thread title lives up to name.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Isn't this literally how Terry McGinnis becomes Batman?

Not exactly. He was just a regular kid in Beyond but a season finale (wasn't renewed yet so it could have been the series finale) of JLU felt the need to tie them genetically via a dumb 'the future needs a batman too' Waller plot. The end of JLU would have marked the end of the DCAU after 10+ years so the creators wanted to tie the whole thing together iirc. That revelation definitely received a mix reception at the time too.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 7, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

c) Our only female ally helplessly kidnapped offscreen

The only point I disagree with - Nightwing also got clowned in this game and I'm pretty sure Barbara was chosen for kidnapping for strictly plot reasons in that it stokes tensions between Gordon and Bruce and it's also a good way of stoking Bruce's own paranoia re: how much his enemies know. It's neither abnormal weakness nor unexpected inside the game's own narrative.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think their hands might be tied in this case, it wasn't a pure invention with many alternatives.

Having someone like Tim Drake kidnapped out of costume wouldn't raise Bruce's suspicions about re: his enemies knowledge - it would outright confirm them since as a civilian he has no special value and we already have Nightwing going down in costume without that being unusual. Oracle's status as Gordon's daughter adds an element of doubt and ultimately it led to Bruce admitting his connection to Gordon when he could've just lied about it. Erosions like that aren't possible using someone else in Barbara's place and it looks like they're going to run with that decay for this story; they have everything to do with who she is rather than what she is. Someone like Fox standing in for Oracle could not accomplish all these things at once.

I'll restate that this event imho seems neither abnormal nor contrived within the game's narrative.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 8, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

All of these are messy because they only refer to personal holdings, not including the companies that Lex and Bruce control. Also, y'know, they're speculating about the net worth of fictional comic book characters. In any case, it seems like Lexcorp is larger and Luthor has more total assets, but they are more often tied up in his global holdings/schemes, plus in comicbook land he's repeatedly landed in jail resulting in the company being broken up and sold.

On the topic of equipping the police- in case you've missed it, Wayne Enterprises has donated basically every piece of equipment that the GCPD has.

In a similar vein I did like they they began taking into account Wayne's philanthropy for these silly things since he backs like every other public program in Gotham. IIRC Wayne has one of the biggest revenue streams by this sort of fictional-accounting but his personal wealth is quite modest (by McDuck billionaire standards anyway) since he officially hemorrhages heaps of wealth through charities and police/arkham funding.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

WFGuy posted:

Unfortunately, no matter how hardy the residents of Gotham are, that dude you did a piledriver on and then ran over with your tank is definitely dead. Spine crushed in multiple places, no ambulances left in the city, and he's a snitch too so even his buddies won't help him.

See to me it makes more sense if Batman just made his hits look spookier than they actually are as part of his dramatic act (cowardly, superstitious, etc). City has dialogue for thugs complaining about Batman having just trashed them like an hour ago and they're all ready to go for round 2 except for some complaints about aches. Medics in this game wake people up with what, smelling salts? and they're ready to brawl again. Certainly whatever medics do isn't the bacta tank immersion you'd expect if Bruce actually went full force every hit in any case.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

CuwiKhons posted:

But yeah, Catwoman as Riddlers victim of the game is really loving irritating, especially when Riddler has never had any beef with her even in this series and Catwoman says as much.

I dunno, if Drake, Alfred and/or Gordon ends up going down this game as everyone else did Bruce will be batting zero re: his allies and affiliates this time around. I'm willing to bet Gordon was set up to rush recklessly headlong into a trap whereas even Drake & Alfred aren't totally secure in the cave as they were just warned of possible breach. Nobody is safe.

As an aside Bats telling Alfred to buckle down the cave seems to imply he just leaves the thing unlocked when he goes :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

It is a batman game where poo poo has been funneled into a cruise ship turbine. The only people in control are the villains, which does perhaps include Harley Quinn, and maybe Batman by virtue of beating these guys at their own game so far.

Just about every cop, firefighter, paramedic, etc we've met has been a playing chip in all this. Same with Nightwing, same with Oracle. It seems like the writers want to tell a Batman's Very Bad Day story by running him, his support cast, and all of Gotham through a genuinely winnowing gauntlet and by focusing strictly on the fact that women have been imperiled, when it has been men and women, we ignore the overall intent. In particular all this has been done to build up the headlining villain and his plot.

This is good writing, at least in so far as we define it as writing that meets an objective. Having the villains relentlessly fail at targeting Batman's allies as suggested does absolutely nothing to sell any sort of escalating menace or threat but rather neuters the villain just to pay homage to the strengths of Batman's support cast. That would not build up a new, dangerous villain. I guess if we're so worried about cliches Oracle and Catwoman could have been written out of this one but regardless this villain needs to have definite blows against Batman or he fails as an antagonist at the closer of a trilogy. You could say the same of recurring side villains like the Riddler, who've already held generic hostages, that personal hostages up the ante.

As far as I can tell, the only support members who haven't taken licks are Tim and Alfred and we're only a smidgen into the game. Once they're done Bruce will be batting a solid zero on this one.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

A fair observation, I can see how it would raise hackles taken so quick.

Ultimately though I feel like a large part of this sort of criticism is aimed at the society that produced the game and the audience's own social climate rather than the game's actual content ... so far, who knows maybe this thing really is as lovely as people assume and I just haven't seen its end yet. Asking a developer to space out potentially problematic content (content that may not be problematic within the context of its own narrative) so nobody could get the wrong idea at any point validates these hasty knee jerk reactions when this kind of analysis absolutely should follow a complete run through and have some thoroughness to its thought. I don't see how else you would accurately form an impression of the game's events - someone was disappointed that Barbara didn't at least find some way of leveraging her capture and, last video, she did just that. There was concern that she hasn't made independent contributions as the operator (Bats made the chemical deduction, not her) and later we find out that she did work out a weakness in the tanks as the OPs person and Lucius made a point of complimenting her technical skill on the chip. It'll be hilarious if we later find that Barbara has freed herself and/or found some way of defeating the AK from within :v:

People can discuss whatever they want, whenever they want but I think it would be fair to leave this kind of stuff for later.

E:

VVVV Now I know for sure this kind of discussion is more appropriate to the Games Thread or at least the LP's end. What if Bruce needs Oracle to write a virus that disables every tank & drone in Gotham in one elegant swoop versus him having to brute force every encounter with the bat-tank? That'd certainly be a vital service over being a wayne tech upgrade.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 15, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Omobono posted:

You know, if all the Joker is going to do this game is being a sarcastic commenter I'm actually warming up to the idea, since he's actually being funny, in a :magical: way, and he's not actively hijacking (Jokerjacking) the plot.

I'm against it myself. This game seems to have more Joker than the games that starred a living Joker since at least he was sequestered to the mainplot instead of also showing up in side missions to poo poo up Riddler/Manbat/etc's 15 minutes. I might be biased though since they could have frontloaded the Joker content nearer to the revelation but, man, I'm not at all confident in this series' ability to moderate its use of the Joker.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there some comic books backstory I'm not aware of re: the Azrael stuff? It sure seems to come out of left field for this guy to show up and promise to be a good Batman.

It's almost what happened in the comics when Bruce broke his back. He hands the mantle to this 90s xtreme new guy over nightwing and inevitably comes to regret that decision.

In the comics you could argue that Drake wasn't ready yet since he was like 15 and Nightwing already branched off and became his own man, recalling him to be Batman might be a little awkward.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Iretep posted:

if oracle has to come down and fight in a wheelchair i demand alfred comes too. infact screw oracle i want to see alfred kill some criminals with his blunderbuss.

I'm going to guess you're referring to this.

Alfred is the only member of the bat-family permitted to carry and use guns :allears:

e: a more complete version here

hard counter fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 18, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

akulanization posted:

As far as the Bat-tank goes, I think it's cool but right now it feels overused. The game needs more long stretches that don't involve the car to space things out.

I can agree with that. I also wish they would've made the streets a little wider because the wanton destruction of public property from casual driving is making it look clumsy and awkward though it handles well on the tracks.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Hell, I'd think there'd be someone willing to eat a life sentence to ensure the Joker can't murder everyone they know.

I mean you could make a case that the Joker has attempted murder against basically every individual in Gotham by now.

Rather than debating it it's just fair to say that it's a conceit of comic books in general to just give villains a time-out on defeat than any longterm change. Thinking about real world punishments on super villains actively damages your brain - though that might be an interesting elseworlds story.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I don't think people hate Cassandra Cain if they know who she is. Hate how she's been treated, maybe, but not the character herself.

Years later I can start appreciating some of the criticisms against her though. Her extreme combat skill led to a whole lot of panels where she would, say, effortlessly beat Barbara Batgirl in simulations in less than a second or, just by her presence in the room, there would be off-handed comments like Drake getting told he would be obliterated by her in mere moments. Regular henchmen can't even land lucky blows (or blind-side her since she had actual bullet-time reflexes). I can see how that sort of characterization would be fresh on a ~17 year old girl but writing like that is itself pretty tired. She'd be more at home on a team, following that board-game idea, where she'll gracefully smash any encounter she drops in on but it's the job of OPs to put her in the right place at the right time. The comics also had a tough time deciding what to do with her re: language skills. Ultimately you're probably right about it being an issue about what the writers were trying to do with her rather than Cain herself though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm just amazed that Batman seems to see this as murder, when Ra's had more than one full life span and has his organs exposed and rotting from unnaturally prolonging his life. He's barely human at this point. Not to mention the fact that he wants to die if he has a successor, which Nyssa is. All Batman has to do is literally pull the plug, which isn't murder at all. :psyduck:

They were good about framing this in a way to make it Batman's responsibility rather than something he had no connection to. In City, Batman claimed he'd have been fine with the Joker dying from Titan plot disease, he claimed that he would've been fine if they both died to it after getting infected by the Joker to court his complacency - but the real push to action came from all the infected innocents dying too. Once Batman's found an easy and ready cure and was in a position to administer it, it was a lot harder to justify the denial of life saving medicine to someone else.

Just now it seemed like Bruce didn't give a drat about Ras (he seemed dismissive of the device keeping him alive) to start with but it was framed in a way that Gotham's innocents were suffering from a civil war that Ras loyalists were on the defensive end anyway. Once Bats had the cure in his hands, there was no other way considering the writing of this Batman and his own foibles. Scruffy definitely chose appropriately.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Octatonic posted:

This for example, couldn't have happened?

The whole purpose of that sequence, by my estimation, was displaying the argument that Batman can still have blood on his hands w/o himself being a murderer (a point the thread just arguing somewhat just prior to the video). Either he lets Ras die naturally in a grey situation and his side of the civil war probably crumbles or he cures Ras and war continues outside of Gotham in yet another grey situation. Letting generic innocents die in Nyssa's place makes that point (it was her point actually; she also refuses to use Lazarus tech to save herself as a personal decision) resonate much less and it wouldn't even make sense as part of Ras' bargain was that he takes all this strife outside of Gotham should he live. The writers didn't want an easy out here where everyone walks away.

I'm a little worried about how much people are decrying any instance of a woman being imperiled right now. They could have used Dusan, Ras' lesser known son, in Nyssa's place to work out this plot point in this manner w/o it being problematic but does removing the well-known women of this series, just because everyone is eating poo poo in this entry, really constitute an improvement?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Octatonic posted:

From a craft standpoint though, there is literally nothing easier than killing a character to create pathos.

I can agree with that point for sure. Considering how much of a biting and legitimate criticism this sideplot was of Batman's general MO, this issue should not have been brought up in a quick sidequest. A more elegant telling would definitely require more time rather than a fast in, quick out plot line that's wholly resolved in a 25 minute video.

However, since we haven't seen the whole game yet, this sideplot could still be contributing to the larger picture of the overarching plot which may or may not use AK to poke at Bats' other foibles.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 20, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

death .cab for qt posted:

Pretty much all of this. It's not qualitatively terrible because of the scenes they've chosen, it's just insultingly tone-deaf. There's a number of very simple and very minor ways to improve how the female cast is treated in AK so far, the only major change that'd happen is Oracle's kidnapping not driving apart Gordon and Batman. That's a plot point that doesn't need to change, it works perfectly fine on its own, it just stinks more and more when it's put in context with the rest of the women and how they're treated.

I would say, given what I've seen so far, this entry of the arkham series is not about characters showing off their strengths but facing down their weaknesses and actually getting struck by them. The actual writing of the schism forming between Gordon & Batman wasn't great, it was written like a high-school tiff, but having Gordon succumb to his paternal instincts is fitting for this particular entry even if it could have been done in a less irritating way.

Not to be rude but I wonder about how certain "very simple and very minor ways to improve the depiction of females" would ultimately jive with that theme w/o lessening its telling and still be effective at its original goal. So far it seems like Rocksteady went out of its way to give Oracle a noble loss in that thugs comment on well she took care of herself (only the AK himself beat her?), it took an insider to get in, she still leverages her capture into a gain, she was working on important stuff before that Batman's only now benefiting from, Bats has to busy himself with subplots because someone less capable has to do the computer stuff resulting in delays, just from what we've seen so far, and it still isn't enough for some posters. Through her eventual defeat you could argue we've seen more of real strength under duress than we would've if she were still safe at home on OPs since we wouldn't hear about her smashing dudes with sticks or feel her loss to appreciate her contributions.

I think ultimately we agree on at least a few points (all this potentially sexist stuff is distressingly front-loaded to the early game and isn't great) but imho the audience's own cultural climate shouldn't overly color their analysis of a game or other works (it should be treated like its in a vacuum) because an alternative overcompensation is nearly as dehumanizing. The telling has to be just right, and that means letting the narrative fluidly dictate what happens its characters (while allowing characters to respond in ways appropriate to themselves).

Night10194 posted:

If the game would stop making GBS threads the bed on the topic it might stop coming up.

So far I've given AK the benefit of the doubt but if it goes on I'll be eating humble pie by end game.

Veotax posted:

Well, if I remember the game rightly it won't come up again for a few more episodes.

lol

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FicusArt posted:

;
Edit: also, even if you analyze this game in a vaccuum, THIS IS THE FOURTH NAMED WOMAN IN A ROW SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAS HAPPENED WITH, AND ONLY FIVE HAVE SHOWN UP. Are you saying we analyze each individual instance like it happened in a vaccuum, separate from the others in this game?

That's not analyzing it in a vacuum (even within the game itself) in the sense that you're not considering what has been happening to comparable men. Nightwing has also gone down untriumphantly too (taken down by women, as a point of consideration) and Gordon is almost certainly going down a bad road. Nearly every firefighter/cop we've come across has been a damsel in distress and they're primarily men. Ras, Batman's number 2 adversary of all time, was Nyssa's precise mirror in this most recent side plot, sharing a linked fate hinging on Batman's critical thinking, making the two exactly comparable.

If it turns out that everyone goes down at some point in this game then their gender literally won't matter for this presentation - this will just have been a game where everyone had their nose bloodied. Recall that the opening monologue references the point that even Batman goes down at some point.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FicusArt posted:

When you side with Nyssa, and she tries to finish off Ra's, batman easily stops her, and she leaves. Ra's approves of Batman not reviving him, because Batman's actions line up with what Ra's wanted.

When you revive Ras and he goes to kill Nyssa, Batman watches him do it, and she's helpless against him despite also being a highly trained ninja. Then Ra's escapes, to lick his wounds because he apparently just killed a ninja and escaped batman without issue while still being out of it from his fresh revival. Then Nyssa uses her dying breath to validate Batman's choices and let us know his dead girlfriend would have approved.

I'm actually not seeing your point here?

The dying person paradoxically approves of Batman's decision in either case and the conundrum, as stated by Nyssa, framed the player decision such that Batman would have blood on his hands without being a murderer himself. Nyssa walking away because Batman saves her, as he could with Ras, versus Nyssa's death as her explicit desire in that situation, having earlier shown disgust for unnatural lifespans, is neither appropriate to the conundrum's intent nor a more appropriate expression of character agency. I suppose the scenarios aren't perfect mirrors but expecting a feeble, dying, uncured Ras (as the original premise requires) to jump into a suddenly ferocious melee so Nyssa could kill him herself is a stretch, recalling that in the real scenario Ras wallows on the floor with Nyssa casually aiming a deathblow (Nyssa is supposed to be the reasonable one too).

e: I think we may have forgotten that Ras is at his most potent physically after resurrection, the later recovery is more to regain what shreds of humanity he has left than not being fighting-fit.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 21, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

For such a fun, well made LP on scruffy's side, the discussion itt does seem an odd match :gbsmith:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

That's why I'll always like Origins, despite its flaws.

Bunch of semi-regular gangsters open the floodgates and usher in the era of the freaks in a last ditch attempt to preserve the good old times. No crazy titan drugs, no city-sized prisons with zero discipline and oversight, just a pretty reasonable Year Three kind of story.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tiggum posted:

It would work fine if they both lived. You just have Nyssa make the point that they're going to continue fighting now and innocent people are going to get caught in the crossfire. Whereas this way Nyssa is the only one who dies as a result of Batman's decision, and she's an assassin, not an innocent bystander.

I disagree, it'd resonates much less and it gives Batman an easy out from what was intended as a provocative moral dilemma. I doubt posters would've spent a few pages talking about which option was right and which one was wrong, and providing their own insights into Batman's MO, had Bruce just said everybody lives! at the end of the quest like he usually does. Holding Bats somehow responsible for the crimes, the deaths of generic innocents and the like, that other individuals commit because Batman refused to kill those individuals before they committed those crimes is so old hat it's pretty much the status quo for anything Gotham. Putting a face to that puts the issue in perspective. I'm not saying the quest was perfect as is but I like that they didn't give Batman an obviously optimal solution (for him), though posters will def prefer one scenario over the other.

quote:

Well, you either have to use your own culture as context or try to use the authors', and in this case they're pretty much the same, so what difference does it make? Nothing exists without context, you can't pretend that this game exists on its own with no influences or implications.

The ongoing issue here has been that complaints have been delivered in essentially real time, rather than finishing the game and then forming an impression, and from those partial impressions posters are forming holistic critiques about very general subject treatments. Posters will pipe in with their own pet improvements only to find a couple videos down the line that some suggestions were actually already there, in the game that was released a year ago. At that point you're not accurately criticizing the real content of the game when you're so ready to jump the gun on event interpretation (events that may hardly seem out place later when everyone, full-stop, is facing and losing to their demons). The only reason you'd be so quick to jump the gun in the first place is when you're already assuming the game is being bad about things the moment you pick up the controller. If you're doing that, you are using your own culture to fill in the gaps you're not seeing yet and that's hardly fair - your own context is overly coloring your expectations.

Anyway, I'd just prefer that this subject comes up and gets discussed somewhere around endgame (yes I fully expect posters to critique using their own cultures as a base then) rather than discussed every video, just so we don't have to move forward by assumption when it hasn't gotten anyone anywhere yet. I might not even be arguing against anyone if we were doing this at endgame but here we are, futilely discussing stuff the people who've already finished the game know about for sure and are politely abstaining so we can fuss over what's essentially minutiae next to the whole of the game.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tiggum posted:

That's fine though, because we're only discussing elements of the story as they appear. We're not talking about the game as a whole yet, because we're not up to that. And maybe the game improves as it goes on, but that doesn't change this bit that we're talking about. Can you analyse and episode or a season of a TV show on its own or do you have to talk about the entire series every time?

I'd love for someone to do an episode by episode critique of Skyler's character in breaking bad in a thread where everyone has already watched it and not have the interpretation fly wildly off-base to the irritation of everyone because the puzzle hasn't been put together yet, despite a rather consistent characterization. It's understandable when everyone's at the same level but it's definitely fair to ask someone that's behind to settle down. You're acting like retrospect and revelation aren't possible and past events can't find their place in the whole. Already in this thread we're getting posts like 'wait for the end of the plot thread please' which is slightly edging on spoiler territory.

quote:

So what sort of discussion would be possible during the LP then?

Not holistic critiques of general subject treatments (more appropriate for the games thread)? The thread's had pretty good discussions of the side quests, speculation about the AK's identity, mechanics and stuff like that which is more in alignment with a non-spoiler thread.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

It looked blue to me, so I'm going to widely speculate that it was a hemocyanin-based cocktail of comic book science to deliver anti-bacterial stuff and provoke a quick immune response, or maybe it was just something like this.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Fabricated posted:

So he's slowly being less and less like his "normal" crazy self.

Only if you're ignoring Origins. In that one he drops a thug off a building on the off chance a Christmas tree breaks his fall (it did) despite his cooperation and later physically beats the poo poo out of Penguin (and a post-torture Black Mask) off the top of my head. By contrast spooking someone with the batmobile but not harming him barring the naptime by fist seems tame, but I think that's more to do with Origins having the reckless loose cannon batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The Casualty posted:

The weird thing about Batman torturing people is, isn't it somewhat of an open secret that Batman doesn't kill people? You'd think a merc that's been trained by the Arkham Knight would know that he doesn't have to say poo poo, either way Batman's going to just beat him up and throw him in jail.

In the comics it's open in the sense that the odd person has recognized it but a lot of people do leave town after getting terrorized by Batman once never to be seen again by their old associates so it's still obscured info.

• Locked thread