Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I hope Frank Herbert haunts his son and everyone involved in a 40k tie-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I have no idea, it was mentioned a couple of posts up. I'm not a warhammer person. Or Star Wars EU. Or anything Herbert's son wrote with that Star Wars hack Anderson.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Any general history thread deserves a mention of Norton I, Emperor of the United States.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Was it like that in 1979?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: The gently caress does he care?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Only babykiller I've ever known was a USAF lieutenant. :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

abortions dont count imho

Late fourth trimester.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 4, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

How about that time the Navy built a loving battleship in a NYC park? Complete with crew, quarters, and standard onboard duty schedule.

Steinhardt & Bros, the building in the background, was a company that bought up whiskey from distillers and mixed them into their own multitude of brands, including one Mountain Dew. They were out of business some time in 1918, so these photos are no later than that. That building is still there, but now houses a Petco.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Just like the Slavs to kick off their own steamrolling with a shortsighted assassination.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They were whenever they fought non-nomadic peoples.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Steezo posted:

Does splitting the atom produce much carbon, or is it just fusing them that does that?

One of us has a very poor understanding of basic physics.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Bill Bryson mentions it in one of his books. Something about how the settling of the plains and the ability to transport grain to market by railroad drew farmers from the coast. Why farm a tiny plot in New York when you can have a massive farm out west? The towns and cities could get grain from out west so cheaply by rail that having local farms wasn't very advantageous.

This is distinctly post-Revolution.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HomoNeanderthal11C posted:

Had the US decided *not* to intervene, the Central Powers may well have won...the British were broke. They had taken over 2/3ds of French expenditures, and were wholly funding Russia, Italy, and both governments in exile on Corfu. US banks and businesses wouldn't extend them credit any longer. That would have been that...

The US financial industry really took over the world during WWI. They swooped in and scooped up all the banking and bullion business in the western hemisphere while London (at the time the financial center of the world) was busy trying to keep pace with their own expenditures...and the US was primarily only accepting literal gold and silver in exchange for credit which really started the shift from London to New York. The process wasn't complete by the time of the Armistice, but the trend was probably irreversible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

e- the pro move would have been leaving Poland alone and signing the Brits and French up to fight Stalin

They tried this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jesus Christ, 11B in 1947?

Internet tells me that's about $117.5B, so not as ridiculous as I was thinking.

Edit: V Just over 10:1.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 2, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

e- also the inflation gets wonky because I don't think it was sold at cost and people weren't making the same kind of money + benefits like today. It might be a 10:1 ratio on paper but you'd never get that amount of poo poo built and shipped for 100 billion today

Good point, that's probably why my guess was much higher. I'm used to much more gratuitous profiteering.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

It's good to see some things never change in the Navy.

Based on my own experiences dealing with Corona (the follow-on agency in the Navy), I wholeheartedly concur.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't know where you get the idea that American historians don't give a poo poo about WWI, there's an absolute TON of stuff being published right now on the subject.

After Verdun and the Somme, Germany's manpower was effectively tapped. Even if the US hadn't sent troops (who weren't even on the lines in division strength until the very end of 1917) Germany couldn't have fought much longer than they did without mobilizing children.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 5, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

RichieHimself posted:

Overall, American historians don't care about WWI. I'm sure there's stuff coming out now to take advantage of 100 year anniversaries, but WWI historiography has been dominated by European historians or historians brought up in the school of thought that the Americans didn't do much.

Yeah, Germany was in bad shape in 1917 as I said, but Russia gave up in December 1917 which freed up all the veteran divisions in the East for service in the West right as the Americans started showing up in force.

Military history is hardly popular in the American academy, so from that perspective, of course "overall" they don't care. WWI also didn't really mean much to American society or policy compared to the conflicts before and after. You're coming off the Spanish-American War, where we gained territory, but then you go fight "over there" and bring home horrendously injured men without gaining anything tangible. It was not a high water mark by any means. The isolationists were effectively proven right, and the AEF was primarily effective as a reserve force used to bolster weakened units and lines and raise morale.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Considering Italy a functional, modern nation-state at the time was a bit of a stretch, too. There were regions that had no idea there was a war going on until the Allies took up occupation, others thought they were Germans because they thought Germany had taken over, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That is cool as poo poo. Only old book I've got is a 2nd printing of Billy Mitchell's Winged Defense.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If he were carved up I wouldn't expect the skeleton to be lying there looking pretty much intact. Curious if their examination turns up cuts on the bones that don't show up in the picture. Seems strange they wouldn't go for the marrow too, but maybe that wasn't so popular by then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

maybe they boiled him then his meat just slid off the bone :yum:

Yeah, that usually involves dismemberment, which is why a complete skeleton properly arranged is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i'd take kffs word on this. he is an expert at eating greek meat.

Maybe they just ate that rear end and killed him.

• Locked thread