Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

This hasn't happened yet, but in about 40,000 years from now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

All history is welcome here

Even this

How about Star Wars Legends material, or only new Disney Canon?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

John Schofield

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Schofield

That motherfucker knew how to rock a beard.

dats a fuckin mustache eh

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Read/scroll further.

OY

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

sent back to the 1800s by skynet to burn atlanta down for unknown reasons, presumably to assure that judgement day occurs

Patron Saint of GiP

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Can anyone, preferably Shim, explain what this means

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/27/media/melissa-harris-perry-msnbc/index.html

quote:

Harris-Perry herself telegraphed this moment during a discussion at The New School in 2013.
"I show up on TV and say words because, at the moment, I have the cover of a powerful white man," her boss at MSNBC, she said. "The moment that that powerful white man no longer wants me to sit on TV and say words, I will not be allowed to sit on TV and say words anymore."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

In space history:

quote:

Sigourney Weaver : Originally, in the movie, everyone was naked, and one of the things I thought was very interesting about the film, because, again, I was coming from theater, I wasn't thinking about markets and Catholics and ratings and censorship, was it was so striking to think of these pink creatures, very vulnerable creatures, moving through this very harsh, metallic environment. That was in the script at the beginning. We didn't shoot it that way because Fox said "We'll lose Spain and we'll lose Italy, so you have to wear [clothes]." There was still this idea of filling as much flesh as possible within the environment to show what a human being was, in space. I think it was erotic but that was something I thought was terribly important. Not the girl strips down, but the girl relaxes, thinks it's over, goes about her business and suddenly the worst possible thing happens and she's not prepared, she's as vulnerable as she can be. And happily she finds this space suit and puts it on, so she can get on with it. But it was not about sex to me, and I think, to Ripley. Although, again, we always wanted an erotic undercurrent in the film, because [you'd think] 'what would he do to her?' So that was the genesis of the idea. I was all for it. I didn't even think 'this is a scene where I show my underwear.' I was trying to show the most utilitarian underwear I could find."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

On a smaller scale, this is a great fact about my home state I always thought was crazy.

If you've been to rural NY, you've probably noticed the forests. Huge, old growth trees everywhere, it's really cool and there's vast areas of it in NY. Must be just like it was back in the Revolution, if you close your eyes.

Actually, no, if you closed your eyes and opened them in the Revolution, NY was almost entirely clean cut farmland. All of the NY "old growth" forest existed after the rise of ind=

New York is rather large and wasn't quite well populated enough for this to be true in revolutionary times according to my gut. Do you have a source?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Oh I forgot about all those railroads during the revolution

edit, I spent a little while trying to find the recorded extent of farming in NY around that time but couldn't get close. The best I could find is a list of old growth forests, but most old growth definitions vary and in general they imply an age at or just after the revolutionary war began, so it wouldn't be of much use anyway.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 25, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

so, they came up with the VA before we did?

so good

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

de Gaulle was mentioned in "We Didn't Start the Fire" so that makes him automatically more cool than almost any other person mentioned in this thread :kiddo:

Well are you loving gonna rank the rest, then, or just leave me here hard and half done like your sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

It's all dick drawings with ornate serifs, I assume

• Locked thread