Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I love random useless historical factoids <1500 AD

Band of Thebes is pretty dope. An elite Military unit, 150 gay couples with the idea that you'll harder for your loved one. They were stomping fools left and right and contributed greatly to the fall of Sparta. Well, until Alexander the Greats dad stomped them out or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The gently caress? History thread and y'all talking about war hammer and Star Wars?

:yikes:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This thread loving sucks

canyoneer posted:

The battle of HMS Speedy vs. Spanish xebec El Gamo is a pretty great story. A 14 gun sloop crewed by 50 men takes on a 32 gun frigate crewed by 300 men. Through a flag ruse, Speedy rolls up alongside the Gamo and fires cannons at point blank. The frigate was so much bigger than the sloop, that she couldn't depress her guns far enough downward to return fire into the smaller ship. Whenever the Spanish marines would put together a boarding party to hop onto Speedy, Speedy separated at enough distance that the marines couldn't leap across, but also that Gamo couldn't fire on Speedy. Eventually, Speedy puts together a boarding party which consisted of literally everybody on the ship except the surgeon (tasked with holding the ship's wheel to keep them close). Those 50 hop onto the ship carrying 300 men and begin hand to hand combat, with Speedy's captain shouting back (in Spanish, of course) to the surgeon helming the empty ship to send the rest of the boarders across. The Spanish captain surrendered, and that's the story of how Lord Thomas Cochrane captured a better equipped ship while outnumbered 6-1.

The PYF historical fun fact thread is dope

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Samovar posted:

Do you know that there has been a recorded instance of a navy losing to a cavalry charge? Well, now you do.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Genocide Tendency posted:

I thought you Brits worshiped a statue of Churchill every morning before you leave for work...

Was I told wrong?

What I thought too

• Locked thread