Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
On the wax debate, honestly, for the 2.5 years I had braces as a teen the wax never worked for me, and I went an entire month with wire out the back bracket scratching the skin at the back of my jaw every time I smiled. When I went in to get it fixed, literally all the orthodontist did was use a wire cutter to trim it off, and I remember getting pissed off that I hadn't thought of doing that myself.

Don't even bother trying to floss with normal floss, just buy a Waterpik : http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-Aquarius-Water-Flosser-WP-660C/dp/B00HFQQ0VU/ref=dp_ob_title_hpc . I use one now because my teeth are still a bit wonk and flossing is hard between some of the joins, but I would have killed for one of these when I had braces.

And yes when your braces come off it feels like your teeth are all covered in slime and it's weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Faerunner posted:

I didn't know an Airfloss existed either before you mentioned it. Looks like waterpik systems are cheaper though.

How bad is wearing a retainer? I know they're important so your teeth don't shift back, but they seem less comfortable than the braces... I guess at least you can take them out.

The airfloss thing looks exactly like the cordless waterpik. I don't understand the difference and waterpiks are awesome.

I didn't get a retainer because I knew I wouldn't wear it and just let my teeth ease up a bit. Only one tooth twisted slightly. I got away with it for 13 years until the slightly twisted tooth started to shove against other teeth and gave me horrible dull yet persistently throbbing toothaches. This culminated in me getting a permanent retainer (wire glued to back of bottom row of front teeth) to hold that tooth still. Honestly I've gotten used to it and I rarely hurt my tongue on it - but I wouldn't have one if I didn't need one, and when this one gives up on itself I probably won't have it replaced unless the aches start again.

• Locked thread