Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I had braces for 1 year and 6 months as an adult. I also had surgery on my upper and lower jaw during that time so I got the works done. I finally got the braces off in February 2015 and now wear a top and bottom retainer to bed every night.

When I got my braces on, I had so much pain that I was on a liquid diet for more than a month after getting them on. The orthodontist said he'd never heard of anyone having so much pain for so long after just getting the braces on before they even did any real tightening or anything. Then one of the wires was rubbing against my inner lip for the first month so I got a giant sore that was about an inch long. It became infected and I had to be on antibiotics. They debated taking the braces off entirely so that it could heal but I fought them and said I wanted to just get it over with.

I used a ton of wax. Wax saved me because after every tightening I would develop sores all over my mouth where the wire was rubbing in new places. About 2-3 days after tightening, I'd have a dozen or so new sores if I didn't coat pretty much the entire wire and every bracket with wax.

I got carded all the time which was hilarious. I smiled at a police officer once and he checked my ID because he thought I was a truant high school kid apparently.

Jaw surgery was fine. It sucked having to basically give up a month of my life to recovery and then 3 more months to looking like the most swollen chipmunk face ever, but it was never too bad pain-wise. No pain at all because they cut the nerves so really it just felt numb. I would get so hungry for food I missed during that time that I'd try to make like a "pizza soup" which was just a slice of pizza in my expensive blender with pizza sauce and cheese. In my half-starved mind, it was the most delicious food I have ever eaten.

But yeah combined with the fact that I was already a skinny bitch before all this and all the pain and not eating of braces and surgery I went from "skinny" to "does she have an eating disorder and/or cancer?" which wasn't fun. I feel like I look like an insect in all the photos of me from around that time.

Waterpiks are annoying as heck to use and people recommending them are probably doing so because they don't know that an Airfloss exists. Get an Airfloss instead and fill it with mouthwash.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread