Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

LightningKimba posted:

This may be way too nerdy to mention, but I've been working on and off again on a region for a Pokemon story I'm working on with a friend. Which probably isn't going to go anywhere, BUT the key reason I bring this up, is because one of the Gym Leaders in the region is a Dark-type leader.

She's an astrologian who actually grew up to be raised as a Psychic, as she did have ESP potential as a child, and the town she was raised in was known for the supernatural. The reason why she switched over is because a wounded Absol came to the village, and she tended to its wounds, and decided to raise that as her signature Pokemon, rather than the Abra that her and her classmates were borrowing from the school (To get used to Pokemon). The problem with this? Well she was a bit too young to go and just pick her own starter willy-nilly, much less a Dark-type. But after reading about what Absol even is, she decided to have her own philosophy, how even in the worst moments, you can always count on having one person to stick by you. So for this lady, her trusted partner was the Absol she tended to, and she decided Dark-types symbolized her to a T, compared to sticking around a village who seemed hesitant about a so-called harbinger like a yin-yang beast.

Okay, not gonna lie, that kinda sounds awesome. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Anything that portrays Absol in a positive light is okay in my book, and that was a pretty good trainer summary. X&Y touch on it with a few NPCs, but I really wish the games would actually explain more about what trainer classes actually are, cause there are implications that classifications are actual things in the pokemon world. Anyway, good job :):

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

See, one of the things I've noticed is how the major NPC often have a job, at the same time... I really liked how NPCs felt very themed BY that job. Compare how, for example, Whitney has her gym based on Clefairy, versus how Lenora's a museum. I dunno if people noticed how Whitney's a baseball fan (Or it seems implied, 'cause one of the GS advertisements is with her work a baseball bat, with the same outfit she has in the games)

SO I decided to do a similar thing for my Gym Leaders and Elite 4, where each trainer is themed on their job, and they build the world a bit because of it. Thank you for the compliments though, I will continue doing my best at being a decent writer! :slick:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Anything that portrays Absol in a positive light is okay in my book, and that was a pretty good trainer summary. X&Y touch on it with a few NPCs, but I really wish the games would actually explain more about what trainer classes actually are, cause there are implications that classifications are actual things in the pokemon world. Anyway, good job :):

Somewhat on topic on trainer jobs. Gen 4 Veterans use the Old Man sprite. But the in battle sprite shows long flowing hair, despite the fact the old man sprite is bald.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

While you're waiting for me to get off me arse and post a new update, you can watch a sweet new LP I'm in called DOGCHILD

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 19: Loose Surf Ends

Route 42

Alright, it's time to head off to Mahogany City!

Got an item right off the bat, a good omen for our long journey to the next city.

And that's all the Apricorns we can find in the game. Six of them are all very conveniently next to Ecruteak, like they either ran out of places to put them, or purposefully made them all but the White 'corn close.

Ahhh, I'm just joshing, we're gonna be going back to some past areas and Surf around. The Apricorns we picked up will be useful, you'll see.

HP: 90 | ATK: 30 | DEF: 15 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 20 | SPD: 15 | TOTAL: 210
#043: Igglybuff

I don't really time things this well, I assure you, but this is goddamn convenient.

There's actually a fair amount to do once we get Surf, but there are some places we'll be saving until we get Strength and Fly just so we can get moving to Olivine sooner.

Goldenrod City

"take this EEVEE."

: It came over when I was adjusting the TIME CAPSULE. Someone has to take care of it, but I don't like being outside. Can I count on you to play with it, MARINA?

Fluffy!

: I knew you'd come through! Way to go! You're the real deal! OK, I'm counting on you. Take good care of it!

HP: 55 | ATK: 55 | DEF: 50 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 325
#180: Eevee

Well I'll get around to those new ways when I can be bothered. No Eevee for my team, alas.

Alright, Ikue, time to be the next daddy. I know she's a girl, but who am I to judge, really? We shouldn't be able to obtain a Pikachu right now for breeding, but this just makes my life easier and if you don't like it, then feel free to make your own LP. Just please don't make it better than mine. I need this. Also, cutting through Ilex Forest is much easier since we can go over the pond.

Azalea Town

This is why we went to Route 42 to get the GRN APRICORN: to get a Friend Ball. Why? Oh boy are you gonna find out...

Union Cave

Let's see what wonderful things we can find down here.

I really wish large men would stop saying that to young kids.

: You can, too, if you like. There's plenty of room, you see.

Oh god there's no way out.

"another person."

: Don't be shy. Let's battle!

Oh hey, Pokemon at higher levels. Magnitude (Magunichūdo) is a Ground move with a varying BP, 30PP and 100% accuracy. The power varies on which magnitude strength is rolled, between 4 and 10. It starts at 10BP at Magnitude 4 and goes up by 20 for each of the scale, except for Magnitude 10, where it jumps from 110 to 150BP. The chance of each number rolling is 5% for 4 and 10, 10% for 5 and 9, 20% for 6 an 8, and 30% for Magnitude 7. The overall average power of this move is 71, which ain't too bad, but because of how random it can be, just use Earthquake, sheesh.

HP: 55 | ATK: 95 | DEF: 115 | SP.ATK: 45 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 35 | TOTAL: 490
#035: Graveler

: I don't mind it here, but I am soooo hungry!

You do know there's a guy right next to you?

And an exit RIGHT THERE, gah just let me get out of here.

Ruins of Alph

And we're back here again, but in a new area. Let's see what there is to find.

HP: 70 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 90 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 85 | TOTAL: 455
#147: Girafarig

Man, we're just seeing so much new stuff. Agility (Kōsoku Idō: High-speed Movement) is a Psychic status move with 30PP that raises your Speed by two stages. Pretty good if you need a quick boost.

...?

"adorable doll, so I bough it with your money. Sorry!"

: It's in your room. You'll love it!

Oh neat. I feel like we've saved up more than 1800 for the first doll, but maybe I missed the other calls. Oh well.

Let's see what we can find.

HP: 40 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 320
#159: Natu

This is how I'm going to get around Natu's terrible starting moves and lack of good STAB. Give it 200 happiness, slap Return on it. Uh, that's it. There's not much else I can do.

Here's the nickname and the stats. Starting moves aren't great, but hey, we've got the cool move of Peck (Tsutsuku), a Flying move with 35BP, 35PP and 100% accuracy. Yay. I think next-next update is when I finally remember to update the team member bios. Or not. I definitely do it somewhere along the line. Maybe after the fifth gym.

We'll see how well this works next update.

HP: 55 | ATK: 20 | DEF: 35 | SP.ATK: 20 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 75 | TOTAL: 250
#157: Smeargle

"BUBBLE!"

This is what Smeargle does. It uses Sketch (Sukecchi), a Normal status move with 1PP that copies the opponent's last move permanently. It cannot copy Selfdestruct, Explosion, Struggle, Transform, Metronome or Sketch, so you'll need to refresh PP before you try again. Then you learn Sketch again every ten levels at x1 and you keep going until you have a moveset to breed with. Hahahahahahaoffensivepresence.

I'm gonna wonder how many levels Jeremiah's gonna get from accidentally knocking out wild Pokemon.

Good dog.

So there's some new panels here. While we won't be able to enter the back room for quite a while, we can at least solve the stone puzzle.

This one can be a bit tricky, as there's a lot of awkward detail in the middle that can be a bit tricky to piece together. But it's fairly symmetrical and not too bad to figure out.

And we're back in the main area, which is good, saves us having to go all the way back through Union Cave. The W-Z Unown are now around and we'll get around to catching them all eventually. Much later. Ehhhhhh, this game has so much more to do compared to Yellow, it suuuuuucks.

Unown Channel

The Unown produce radio waves and this is what it sounds like. What does it mean?

HP: 95 | ATK: 85 | DEF: 85 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 35 | TOTAL: 430
#057: Quagsire

While surfing, we can find the evolved forms of Pokemon we've fished up. We'll be going more into it when we Surf around some more later on.

Hmm, sounds nasty. Wonder what we've got.

So long as you figure out which perspective you're working with, it's easy enough to piece together this ancient bird.

Yeah, yeah, we'll get round to catching the R-V Unown later. There's one last panel we can't reach right now to unlock the last of the Unown. But we can reach one more back room.

Remember kids, flash when no one's around.

Very nice, very nice.

We're over halfway done with the various puzzles of the Ruins. If you, uh, don't add in the catching of 26 different forms of the same useless Pokemon.

Violet City

I want to clean up the nearby areas while I'm here, since we won't be heading back to central Johto for quite a few updates after this.

All this sweet stuff was sitting here all this time. Crazy.

Hey, uh, you wanna evolve some Pokemon? Cause this Eevee is now our happiness hogging slot. Togepi's had its time. Along the way, it tried to learn Sweet Kiss (Tenshi no Kissu: Angel's Kiss), a Normal status move with 10PP and 75% accuracy that confuses the target. Meh. As well as Encore (Ankōru), a Normal status move with 5PP and 100% accuracy that forces the opponent to only use its last move for the next 2-6 turns. It can be pretty nasty to lock down defensive Pokemon, or support/stat sweepers.

Oh yeah, I evolve the stuff here. Sure my selections are a bit random, but I'm gonna have to get these Pokemon eventually.

HP: 55 | ATK: 40 | DEF: 85 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 105 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 430
#047: Togetic

HP: 140 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 75 | SP.DEF: 50 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 425
#045: Wigglytuff

HP: 70 | ATK: 90 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 60 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 390
#033: Ariados

HP: 60 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 85 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 40 | TOTAL: 395
#084: Gloom

Along the way, there were some more moves. Constrict (Karamitsuku: Coil Around) is a Normal move with 10BP, 35PP and 100% accuracy with a 10% chance to lower the target's Speed. This is an absolutely garbage use you should never use. Oddish also tried learning the other two powder moves we haven't seen yet. Stun Spore (Shibire Gona: Numbing Powder) is a Grass status move with 30PP and 75% accuracy that paralyzes the target. Sleep Powder (Nemuri Gona) is a Grass status move with 15PP and 75% accuracy that puts the target to sleep. Both are pretty useful, but in this game of catching creatures, Sleep Powder is better.

Another stone to grab and add to the collection. We'll see what we can do with these later.

Constantly changing time to hope for a swarm is dumb and we're just going to deal with them now.

HP: 100 | ATK: 70 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 415
#052: Dunsparce

And motionless it shall remain. During a swarm, it has a 40% chance to appear, same as Geodude, while Zubat has a 20% chance. This swarm ignores time of day.

Thanks, Arnie, for never ever calling me about a swarm. I'll be happy to delete your number.

HP: 65 | ATK: 65 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 75 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 95 | TOTAL: 390
#101: Yanma

During a swarm, Yanma have a 30% chance of appearing, along with the Nidos. Ditto has a 5% chance, as well as Pidgey or Hoothoot, depending on the time of day. And that's it for swarms in Crystal. There's actually four more swarming Pokemon in Gold and Silver, but we'll go over them when we reach those areas. My co-commentator, Dirty Deeds Done, demands this be called Yan Solo. He gets one nickname freebie every LP, so it is done.

But that's it for now. That was quite a lot of stuff done, so with our new team member in tow, it's time to head to Olivine City.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 31, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

a million paleontologists scream out in horror and don't know why

the "second brain" is discredited to say the least

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Look, I only write down what the internet tells me. It has never lead me astray thus far.

Though double checking, the wording on Bulbapedia is believed by some paleontologists, so I should probably make the same distinction.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
"Girafarig" spelled backwards is "hail satan". :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Look, I only write down what the internet tells me. It has never lead me astray thus far.

Though double checking, the wording on Bulbapedia is believed by some paleontologists, so I should probably make the same distinction.

it's all good, i know it's a pretty popular misconception, much like thinking therapods look like they do in Jurassic Park rather then giant turkeys

good luck using Natu, i remember trying to use one in Crystal as a kid and i had to replace it with uh...some other flying dude cause it didn't do anything good

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's all good, i know it's a pretty popular misconception, much like thinking therapods look like they do in Jurassic Park rather then giant turkeys

good luck using Natu, i remember trying to use one in Crystal as a kid and i had to replace it with uh...some other flying dude cause it didn't do anything good

I used one. It didn't really do much good until I got Psychic...in the postgame.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Crosspeice posted:

Got an item right off the back, a good omen for our long journey to the next city.

Isn't the saying "right off the bat"?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

...poo poo

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The previous Crystal LP used Natu/Xatu as well and made it work.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's amazing how many Pokémon's analyses comes down to "learns no good moves"

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 31, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I know a person whose favorite Pokémon is Dunsparce.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I do too. I don't understand it, but he's ukrainian, so there's a lot i dont understand about him

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Serene Grace is awesome man.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

It's amazing how many Pokémon's analyses comes down to "learns no good moves"

Game Freak learned their lesson starting in Gen III and gave new Pokemon move pools that aren't garbage, and by now a lot of the older pokemon have great move pools too. Just look at Clefable's monstrous TM list, for example, or Misdreavus/Misagius's move pool.
There's still a few old clunkers (Krabby/Kingler) and occasionally a new pokemon won't learn great moves (Dedenne) but in general they're getting better.

Cythereal posted:

The previous Crystal LP used Natu/Xatu as well and made it work.

75 Attack/95 Special Attack/95 Speed is quite usable. Too bad it doesn't learn Psychic for a while.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Solumin posted:

75 Attack/95 Special Attack/95 Speed is quite usable. Too bad it doesn't learn Psychic for a while.

Yeah, the previous LP also made heavy use of Future Sight (I think that's what it's called, the attack-two-turns-later move) and Fly.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Alas, for the Xatu that might have been.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Hey, dunsparce is cute! And I always figured togetic was derived from toge- and energetic, not togechick. Though how 'energetic' would apply to togetic, I don't know lol.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Alright, Ikue, time to be the next daddy. I know she's a girl, but who am I to judge, really? We shouldn't be able to obtain a Pikachu right now for breeding, but this just makes my life easier and if you don't like it, then feel free to make your own LP. Just please don't make it better than mine. I need this. Also, cutting through Ilex Forest is much easier since we can go over the pond.

Oh man, I totally forgot that Pikachu is only available on Route 2, as a 5% encounter, in Kanto.
The stupid distribution of gen 2 pokemon in Kanto always takes center stage for good reason, but the other random (incredibly low leveled) pokemon got the shortend too.

I can't wait for the LP to get to Kanto just to relive all the silly decisions.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Ew, how long has that been sitting there? It can possibly be good anymore.

Also Girafarig is one of my all time favorite Pokemon. I don't even know where to start with it. Hoofed animal Pokemon are always really cool, it has very well crafted names imo, and it has a lot of odd things going on which is pretty fitting for a Psychic-type to name a few.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Crosspeice posted:

The Giraffokeryx bit is even sillier. I swear the Bulbapedia people look for the most obscure scientific/mythological things and then claim they were the basis.

It's a giraffe.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Tardigrade posted:

The Giraffokeryx bit is even sillier. I swear the Bulbapedia people look for the most obscure scientific/mythological things and then claim they were the basis.

It's a giraffe.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read that and was like :wtf:. It's a loving giraffe! Just with some artistic license on the coloring and an extra head to represent the Psychic typing.

No need to pull in some ultra obscure, barely known extinct species when there's a reasonably close real world equivalent in existence right now.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey, if you ain't learning something new and obscure, then my LPs aren't doing their job :D

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Girafarig's original design was better and more fitting.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i demand 100% scientific accuracy in my pokémon let's plays

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I demand that all those useless one off Pokemon from gen 2 finally get an evolution so they aren't just dex filler. Most of them are even passed over in rules that are specifically meant to give less good Pokemon a time to shine. Minus stealth rock of course since that isn't at all centralizing despite being found in every description of every Pokemon that is weak to, resistant to, can use, or can use defog or rapid spin to negate.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i demand 100% scientific accuracy in my pokémon let's plays

6 year old me would travel thru time and kill me if i didn't point out dumb dinosaur things i know

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

6 year old me would travel thru time and kill me if i didn't point out dumb dinosaur things i know

a small price to pay for the discovery of time travel

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Cerony posted:

Ew, how long has that been sitting there? It can possibly be good anymore.

Turns out that it's a typo, it's actually supposed to say "MOLD BERRY".

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Tardigrade posted:

It's a giraffe.

And it's also taken from Dr. Dolittle, the Pushmi-pullyu, which is basically a cross between a unicorn and a gazelle, with a head at each end. At least in the book, in the film it was a two-ended llama.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 20: And On That Farm He Had A...

Route 38

: NEW BARK TOWN? PROF.ELM lives over there, right? You've come a long way to get here.

We've come too faaaaar, to lose it aaaaaall. Oh, uh, we're gonna be on some new routes today. Should be a lot of fun.

: May I see your POKéMON?

This is a good first match up.

"soothe my nerves."

Seems to be doing alright so far.

"bird POKéMON!"

Another Berry. Now we have way more than we need.

HP: 35 | ATK: 85 | DEF: 45 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 35 | SPD: 75 | TOTAL: 310
#199: Doduo

Return does some pretty good damage, but get used to seeing Helios until it catches up in levels. Which thankfully won't be long, since I caught it at a fairly high level. The level ranges between 15 and 25, but since Natu evolves at level 25, I wanted to have a few levels of Natu. It was pretty risky, since it learns Teleport at level 20, so I might have lost my cute totem bird.

Game Freak is just hammering in that Doduo can Fly.

Well I know where we're heading as soon as we can.

Oh, you've been to Hawaii, then?

Night Shade is a fine move for when I wanna finish a Pokemon off. 23 damage isn't too bad, honestly. Though in this specific case, it wasn't enough. Slam (Tatakitsukeru) is a Normal move with 80BP, 20PP and 75% accuracy. It's not too great a move when Body Slam, or Headbutt are around, so give it a skip.

Well I have technically been to many places all over the Pokemon world.

"some advice?"

Okay, I've got some. Be a protagonist.

I'm honestly not sure what I expected with this match up.

: MOOMOO FARM's milk is famous for its flavor. You're really good at POKéMON! Boys give me items after battles, but sometimes they give me too much. Next time, I can share some if you want. Let me get your phone number.

I'll take your number, yes.

: Does that make me bad?

"today."

Why you hiding in the corner, boy?

HP: 40 | ATK: 45 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 100 | SP.DEF: 120 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 460
#156: Mr. Mime

Pfft, typical. Barrier (Bariā) is a Psychic status move with 30PP that raises Defense by two stages. It's an alright move, but not with the best distribution.

: So when I do get to play, I really concentrate. Huh? Is that thing a POKéDEX? Have you met PROF.OAK? Huh? You have? That's way cool! I have a dream of becoming a POKéMON researcher like PROF.OAK. May I please have your phone number? We should chat about PROF.OAK. I'm sure it will be loads of fun!

"TALK, right?"

Ehhhhh, sure, maybe. This guy is a lot more useful in Gold and Silver as he'll call you if Snubbull are swarming on the route. Crystal made Snubbull available a lot earlier, instead of being on these routes with a 1% encounter. The other trainer we got a number from, Lass Dana, will call when Tauros are swarming on the route. Both the swarms are combined and gives you a 30% chance to find Snubbull and a 5% chance of a Tauros, up from 4% normally. Yeah, that's not impressive, but it's something. And then you have a 10% chance of a Rattata or Meowth, depending on the time. I assume the rest of the Pokemon remain unchanged, as that's all that's listed for swarms.

"beautiful?"

Last trainer. Unique to Crystal, too.

HP: 55 | ATK: 55 | DEF: 85 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 85 | SPD: 35 | TOTAL: 380
#171: Corsola

Thankfully not during battle.

That sounds awful.

There's quite a selection of Pokemon available here. Let's start catching.

...or not.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

How now, evil cow?

HP: 55 | ATK: 81 | DEF: 60 | SP.ATK: 50 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 97 | TOTAL: 413
#018: Raticate

Easy enough. Hyper Fang (Hissatsumaeba: Certain-kill Fang) is a Normal move with 80BP, 15PP and 90% accuracy that has a 10% chance to flinch. No, it does not have a chance to OHKO, not sure why it's named that in Japanese.

Curse you Hypnosis. Sonicboom (Sonikku Būmu) is a Normal move with 20PP and 90% accuracy that always does 20 damage, no matter what. It ignores type resistances, but can't hit Ghost types.

Might as well use one of my Fast Balls on one of the three Pokemon it works on. And it seems to do fine.

Is this the first Steel type we've obtained? Yeah? Cool.

HP: 75 | ATK: 100 | DEF: 95 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 110 | TOTAL: 490
#148: Tauros

Horn Attack (Tsuno de Tsuku: Horn Thrust) is a Normal move with 65BP, 25PP and 100% accuracy. It's a fine move, but you'll need to replace it soon enough.

It seems weird to just catch this Pokemon so easily. Well, it still has a low encounter rate, but I'm so glad to be free of the Safari Zone... in this game... hrmmmmmm.

Only one new encounter at night and it's a good one.

And that's it for Route 38. It's a nice change from previous routes with some sweet new Pokemon. On to the next route.

Route 39

"capable of."

Ah, the welcoming committee.

Helios is still trucking along just fine. Good bird.

Body Slam (Noshikakari: Lean On) is a Normal move with 85BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy, with a 30% chance of paralyzing the opponent, including Normal types, huzzah. It's a pretty great move, but it's no longer a TM, so good luck finding it.

"abilities?"

: People are like that too. Everyone has different potential.

Aw yeah, I've been looking forward to this milk here.

Hello cows. Hello money. Hello sleep restoring berry.

Moomoo Farm

"n'more."

: This here FARM's got famous milk. Most everyone wants a drink. I'll give me lots o' milk if'n I feed it lots o' BERRIES, I reckon.

: So if our own MILTANK won't give us any milk, we're in trouble.

: She needs lots of BERRIES.

Well, we've got some berries, let's see what we can do.

Nine better be enough.

This is something you kinda need to pre-plan for. If you bolt through the game picking all the trees you come across, you'll have 6 Berries, one shy of what you need. But it's really not hard to get some more, so it shouldn't be a problem.

You'll be noted after 3 and 5 berries fed and with 7, we're done. As easy as that.

: Give it to POKéMON to restore HP! I'll give it to ya fer just $500.

Hell yeah!

Moomoo Milk is, in my opinion, the best healing item in the game. 100HP is a fantastic amount and solves the jump of the Super Potion to the Hyper Potion. It's an item we'll be using for the rest of the game, once Super Potions start losing their effectiveness. But more often than not, you won't reach the point where you'll be relying on Hyper Potions. And it's so cheap, too!

But here's a really annoying thing: if you have one or more Moomoo Milks in your Bag, you can't buy another one. At all. I can't believe how stupid that is and it really limits this item's effectiveness.

: Here's somethin' fer your trouble.

: It's a rare move that only works while the POKéMON is asleep. You best think how you ought to use it, hon.

Snore (Ibiki) is a Normal move with 40BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy that can only be used while asleep and has a 30% chance to flinch the target. This is not a great move, especially since Sleep Talk is so much better.

So this is how you can buy more than one Moomoo Milk: if it isn't in your bag, then you can get another one. So have one of your Pokemon hold it.

Keep on repeating this and you'll be able to get 7 at a time. One in your bag and six held by your Pokemon. But after that, you'll need to deposit them in your PC and repeat the whole process all over again. I think it's worth it, but man, I'm so glad they dropped that limitation.

Route 39

Now we're back on track.

"at the same time."

Uh, I'll show you mine if you show me yours...?

I definitely peek at you.

...yeah, I like em. They're cool.

"PIKACHU!"

Hmm.

The Yellow LP is over, friend. Just accept it.

Weren't those Pokefans hanging around these ledges last time? Ah, whatever.

Show me your moves.

Oh boy, it's a good level. Matey.

HP: 65 | ATK: 75 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 95 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 95 | TOTAL: 490
#160: Xatu

"overseas."

: They're my companions on those long voyages.

Alright, that's two of our team that's fully evolved. Don't think we've got too many to go.

Sounds good normal acting person.

So beginneth the wratheth of Helios... eth.

"on ROUTE 39."

: I'm not sure why, but it seems to like it when I train here. It seems to become friendlier by training here than anywhere else.

Olivine City

Ah, finally made it to a new city. Let's have an explore.

...?

: You again? There's no need to panic, I don't bother with wimps like you. Speaking of weaklings, the city's GYM LEADER isn't here. Supposedly taking care of a sick POKéMON at the LIGHTHOUSE. Humph! Boo-hoo! Just let sick POKéMON go! A POKéMON that can't battle is worthless! Why don't you train at the LIGHTHOUSE? Who knows. It may make you a bit less weak!

He keeps saying no to that hug, can't imagine why.

Well I need my Gym fix, so to the Lighthouse it is.

Next time, of course.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 2, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Glad I'm not the only one who loves Moomoo Milk. They started selling it by the dozen in Platinum, thankfully.

Did Beauty Olivia have a Corsola in GS? I don't remember ever seeing one in-game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You have the Psychic Norman images twice.

Also wow, I completely forgot about the Moomoo Milk thing. I remembered the Berries being a pain in the butt because the game gives you no indication that you should save them, so that takes longer than it should, but I didn't remember you could buy only one at a time. That's really dumb.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Solumin posted:

Did Beauty Olivia have a Corsola in GS? I don't remember ever seeing one in-game.

I messed up and mistook her for Beauty Valerie, which is in the grass in GS and their remakes, with Olivia being Crystal exclusive. They shifted the various trainers at the bottom of the route around for whatever reason. I've edited my wording to reflect that.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You have the Psychic Norman images twice.

Thanks, all fixed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ah, yes, the annoyance of buying MooMoo Milk. I had almost completely repressed memories of buying as many of those as I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Oh, Corsola. The most unoriginal pokemon design ever, on the worst Pokemon ever.

• Locked thread