Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Raichu, they sent the wrong people to Orre."

"Rai."

"I didn't have a choice. I had orders, and it was kill or be killed."

"Rai."

"...I still hear that kid's voice in my dreams. I wonder if they ever found his body in Pyrite."

"Rai."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
His Gym Leader title is "The Lightning American", so I'm pretty sure he's 'Murican.

In the Japanese version of the show, he even spoke in English and said things like "God drat!". I can't find the clip on YouTube, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

He doesn't just look like that, he trains his Pokemon by wrestling with them. That's right: he trains motherfucking dragons by wrestling. Not himself, them.

Drayden is the biggest badass out of all the Gym Leaders. He uses Pokemon on you as a mercy, if he fought you directly, then that's as far as your Gym challenge goes.
Oh right, I forgot that detail about Drayden. Shame we never get to see him go up against the titular dragon legendaries of Unova.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes, but answer this one: Is he from Pokemon America AKA Unova, or from real life America? If it's the latter, where in the pokemon world is that, and if both exist in the pokemon world, how is it that Unova looks a lot like an exaggerated NYC?

He's from whichever one landed on the Moon, obviously.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

His Gym Leader title is "The Lightning American", so I'm pretty sure he's 'Murican.

In the Japanese version of the show, he even spoke in English and said things like "God drat!". I can't find the clip on YouTube, though.

Yeah, this was back when Pokemon was kind of blending the real-world and the pokemon-world together. You can find other references to the Real World in Gen 1. Like how Mew was found in South America. A few of the pokedex entries also reference real-world locations.

This got dropped in Gen 2.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Yeah, this was back when Pokemon was kind of blending the real-world and the pokemon-world together. You can find other references to the Real World in Gen 1. Like how Mew was found in South America. A few of the pokedex entries also reference real-world locations.

And brought back up with Pokemon GO!

...I wonder if there are wild Mews in South America.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kikas posted:

...I wonder if there are wild Mews in South America.

Ahahahah Nintendo having events, or caring about the existence of, South America.

That's silly.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SkyTalon2314 posted:

The space shuttle in the Pewter City museum is named as the Columbia in Gen I. Which is...unfortunate.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
I'm pretty sure SA is solely responsible for why I think Clay is the best Gym Leader...

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
For those who skipped out on pokemon everything up to like gen 5 can be emulated on phones by now.

3ds is a no go.

I highly recommend black white/2

I had skipped out and was genuinely impressed with how much they packed into those games.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 29: Battle Tower - Level 10

Inside Battle Tower

Hello everyone. It's time for the first of the five updates going over the Battle Tower. We've got 3 Pokemon chosen by YOU to take on this facility.

First up is one of our stronger hitters: Gully the Gligar by Kikas. It's a pretty strong physical attacker with some nice coverage and Swagger to keep our opponents from attacking if we're lucky enough.

Next is Quetzal the Dratini by SkyTalon2314. He's a pretty nifty special attacker with the Rain Dance/Thunder combo. Very nice.

Finally, we have Miracle the shiny Sunkern by BlackPersona, which is a Toxic staller. You might think that's crazy, but Gen 2 is all about stall, so be glad I'm doing screenshots. I could put a video in this update, but it's too long and uninteresting to really bother with. Or I'm just that lazy, you decide.

We have all the requirements for the Level 10 challenge, so let's get going.

Standard three on three battles, Final Destination, etc, etc.

There's 21 different Pokemon we can face and here's our first one! A Corsola with Ancientpower, Recover, Surf and Psychic holding a Scope Lens. A full on special attacker, but since Gully has 31 Speed, all we need to do is outspeed it.

Simple enough. But the next Pokemon won't be so easy. There's plenty of strong Pokemon you can get battle ready for level 10, with a bit of luck and patience. Stone, trade and happiness evolutions are the easiest, but there's a lot of strong Basic stage Pokemon that will gently caress you up.

Oh god. This Porygon2 has Tri Attack, Hyper Beam, Psychic, Blizzard with Brightpowder and 33 Sp.Atk, the fourth highest in the level bracket.

Now if we get lucky enough, we could potentially stall out this Porygon2, which we might need to, with its 44 HP.

Well this is pretty bad. What's my last Pokemon?

Oh yeah. Whoops.

Well, uh, let's try something different. Don't worry, we'll be seeing Quetzal again. But more offence is needed, so we're going for Tyrone the Tyrogue by Golden Goat. While it can't hit Ghost types, it can be sustainable with RestTalk and there's only one Ghost Pokemon we could face in level 10 anyway.

There's a limited number of opponent names, including some neat easter eggs. This Jolteon has Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Hyper Beam and Roar with a Miracleberry. While it's a mixed attacker, it only has 25 Attack, but is the second fastest opponent with 37 Speed and has some high Sp.Atk to boot, at 34.

Gully's been a pretty great lead, so that's the first Pokemon down. Only 20 to go!

Goddamn my luck. Umbreon has Shadow Ball, Iron Tail, Psych Up and Toxic, so it's not too bad, but having a Steel type really helps to prevent you being Toxic stalled. Just make sure it doesn't copy your boosts.

Let's see how this goes.

Hmm, not too well. Probably shouldn't keep Gully in for long. But let's see how far we can get.

Tyrone would be pretty useful to break through this Dark type, but Gully is doing fine.

With the Scope Lens, we have a good chance of critting and that's just what happened. Now we have a Girafarig with Psybeam, Shadow Ball, uh, Mud Slap and Agility with a King's Rock. It's stats are all pretty average, so it works as a mixed attacker.

Alright, Tyrone won't do well against this psychic horse thing, so it looks like we need a Miracle.

As a reminder, the Focus Band has a 10% chance of letting you survive an attack with 1HP. This can happen at any time, so it could potentially keep occurring every turn if you're really lucky.

I believe this track is appropriate.

Alright, that's our first trainer down! Good job everyone.

"health."

No retreat, no surrender!

Well isn't this an interesting trainer and Pokemon. Lapras knows Surf, Psychic, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam. Very, very dangerous coverage, but aside from HP, its stats aren't too amazing.

Man, Gully just does not take Ice moves too well.

Oh god no.

Oh god yes.

Oh god no. Aerodactyl knows Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Supersonic and Bite with Leftovers. It's pretty goddamn dangerous being the fastest thing in the challenge and rocking a pretty good 32 Attack.

...I thought that would do a lot more.

I believe in mirac-

N-Never mind.

Alright, let's go for all offense all the time. Quetzal's back, Gully is still great and we have a new guy.

We have Mac the Elekid by Level Seven, with all the elemental punches and Counter to punish Ground types. Let's see how it goes.

First trainer!

Got a Heracross with, uh, Rock Smash, Endure, Reversal and Counter with a Gold Berry. It's definitely interesting, but you're silly if you let it get its tactics off.

Thankfully we're faster than it and got lucky with status to stop its shenanigans.

WAS NOT EXPECTING THAT. Tauros knows Headbutt, Swagger, Tail Whip and Icy Wind with a King's Rock. How convenient it had an Ice move to hit Gully with, the bastard. With 18 Sp.Atk, Icy Wind is only there to hit 4x weaknesses.

While level 10 Electabuzz are not legal, level 10 Elekid are. It's pretty drat fast, so it's a good clean up sweeper, but I think it's a bit fragile to really make use of Counter.

Uh oh. Espeon with Psychic, Psych Up, Mud Slap and Toxic, with Leftovers. It's fast and strong, but really can't do anything against Dark or Steel types.

Well this has become pretty dangerous. Maybe Quetzal can pull this out.

Well, you did your best, but the cat is just too strong.

Alright, I believe there's one Pokemon we haven't tried yet?

Last up is Monarch the Butterfree by Lavender menace. Technically another staller, but with the addition of HP Fire, we don't have to rely on Toxic to kill things, since we also have Swagger. It's definitely interesting.

Alright... third? Fourth time's the charm? Ah whatever.

Alright, good start. But nothing on my team really wants to take that.

Oh man, can Mac do it?

AND IT'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

But it can only last so long.

And thus the shenanigans begin.

Having the Gold Berry really adds to Monarch's survivability and makes it a hard kill. Man, if only we got Leech Seed...

Alright, we should be pretty good to take this guy down.

OH COME ON

Right. I've shown off all the Pokemon you guys submitted and... well, it hasn't worked out too great. Level 10 is a pretty nasty challenge, so you need to be nasty back. I won't have this problem on the other challenges, hopefully.

So let's gently caress the level 10 challenge like it hosed us. These are the cream of the level 10 crop and I put a lot of thought into using three balanced members. Excuse the terrible nicknames, I had a real hard time thinking of any for them. Anyway, we've got a really fast and strong Espeon with STAB, HP Fire, status immunity and Dark coverage.

Next up is our physical wall and physical attacker. No need for Steel STAB as SlideQuake has real good coverage. Curse is necessary if we can't get past something, but I'll probably opt to use Explosion instead. Nothing can survive that, honestly.

Finally, we have our general defensive tank, with different coverage to Espeon as well as Dragon Rage. If you want to easily wreck the Level 10 challenge, Dragon Rage 2HKOs everything. Literally everything. 9 out of the 21 Pokemon are just knocked out outright. The fastest user of the move would be Aerodactyl if you breed it and then trade it back to Gen 1 to teach the TM. This is also how you get Substitute for Eevee.

Okay, let's see if we can finally beat this challenge.

Got Exeggutor with Giga Drain, Confusion... Thief and Hypnosis. I'll be honest, we don't know all the moves the Battle Tower Pokemon use, so Psypoke just puts in joke moves, like Giga Impact in place of Hypnosis. So I'll be going with a more realistic guess. Also funny that it knows Thief yet holds a King's Rock. I think it's just because it has no type coverage.

I'll only be showing off new Pokemon we haven't seen before, cause I'm not gonna go over all seven battles. I do not have time for that bullshit.

First battle was easy enough, so let's move on to number two.

You can guess what Wobbuffet does. Substitute is real useful for this guy, cause I can't knock it out in one shot. It's got Destiny Bond, Mirror Coat, Safeguard and Counter with a Focus Band. This thing could gently caress you up if you're not careful, but thankfully it doesn't have Shadow Tag yet. Ugh.

Thankfully we keep our Sub, but Jolteon is too much for us. Hey, let's us use our other team members.

Neato.

Mirror match! But since I'm maxed in Stat Exp, I think I beat them out since I don't think the AI maxes everything. As an aside, I have DVs of 14/12/15/15 to get HP Fire, since all you need to change is your Attack and Defense DVs to change the type of Hidden Power.

Nearly took down this Lapras, but alas, not enough. It's time to mow them down with the Transport (tm).

Oh, you think you'll face against me with this Blissey that has Strength, Rollout, Headbutt and Solarbeam? Uh, actually, I dunno if that moveset is totally right, but I don't care! It also has a Quick Claw.

As you can see, with only 77HP, the tankiest Pokemon of the challenge cannot survive two Dragon Rages.

This is now trainer... four? Yeah, four.

Oh wow, it's the only unevolved Pokemon in the challenge. Everything else either doesn't evolve, or already has through stone, or trade, or happiness. It knows Faint Attack, Solarbeam, Sunny Day and Roar and holds a Gold Berry.

Aaaaand it's gone.

This bulky Snorlax with Headbutt, Surf, Snore and Protect holding a Miracleberry? (wait why does it know Snore but not Rest what the fu-)

Yeah, it ain't surviving poo poo.

While using Dragon Rage for the rest of the challenge is tempting, let's not. This Sneasel knows Faint Attack, Surf, Blizzard and Quick Attack and has a Gold Berry. That moveset is hilarious with its 19 Sp.Atk compared to its 31 Attack.

Two more trainers in the bag. Onto number six!

Oh great. The Miltank with Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Blizzard and Shadow Ball as well as a Gold Berry. Fun times.

My cat is down, but now it's time for my snake's revenge.

Yep. You can fight an Unown that knows, of course, Hidden Power and even holds a Berry. Careful, it might make a dent with its 26 Sp.Atk! I have no idea if it has a set type for its Hidden Power and I could not give the slightest poo poo.

At this point in the challenge, I'm taking no chances.

Final trainer! We're gonna make it!

The last new Pokemon we're gonna see is Misdreavus with Shadow Ball, Perish Song, Pain Split and Curse holding a Focus Band. It can be dangerous if you let it... but why would you ever let it?

Had a bit of trouble with an Exeggutor.

But explosions solve a lot of problems.

And that's all she wrote. There were a couple of Pokemon we didn't see, such as a Kangaskhan that knows Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Reversal and Attract, holding a Miracleberry, as well as Mr. Mime with Fire Punch, Headbutt, Psych Up and Toxic, with a Quick Claw. They definitely improve on opponent's movesets in later challenges and indeed in later games... as we'll probably see later on.

: You've beaten all the trainers! For that, you get this great prize!

Yeeeeeep, that was it. For beating a Battle Tower challenge, you get five of a random stat drink, which you can admittedly sell for quite a bit of cash, or buff up your newly hatched metagame machines. Unlike later Battle Facilities, there's no reward for beating all, or indeed any of the challenges, aside from the stat boosts, which is why I'm only doing five of the ten level challenges as you don't get any Symbols, or Cups, or anything like that. But we shall tackle Level 30 another day, for next update is when we take on the seventh Gym. Stay frosty!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Also thanks to everyone who kept the thread afloat while I had a bit of a break. I went through moving flats and illnesses in the space of a week, so I felt like doing sweet gently caress all except play XCOM. While I'll probably be moving again in a couple months, that's plenty of time to keep the updates flowing. I know I'm having a blast making this LP and I hope you guys are having a blast also.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Dammit Miracle, you tried your best :allears: Good choice in music, Crosspiece.

I've never really been a fan of the various battle facilities. I'm glad it's you doing it and not me.

I'm glad you're back!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The battle facilities are more or less where GF pulls out the stops, to the point there are rumors that the AI in the later games outright cheats in them.

So bravo, Crosspiece. Even if the submissions didn't work out.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

The battle facilities are more or less where GF pulls out the stops, to the point there are rumors that the AI in the later games outright cheats in them.

As someone whose Metagross got Metronome-Fissure killed by a god drat cleffa; they straight up loving cheat. And players were expected to grind the poo poo out of this to get multiple copies of the really good TMs. Thank the holy poo poo gen V's PWT dialed back on the nonsense for the most part.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tactless Ogre posted:

Thank the holy poo poo gen V's PWT dialed back on the nonsense for the most part.

Juan's Kingdra. :argh:

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Yeah. Looking at what the Level 10 Challenge really is like, I misjudged it. I was too much in a 'Little Cup' mindset. :sweatdrop:

Of course, now I'm tempted to go back to my Triple-Battle challenge at the Maison in AS. Using my Mat-Block Greninja to protect my Hyper Voice Sylveon. I also got a few Megas I've been working on for other Challenges, including the master of Fluff herself that I named Lisia. I should finish off the Maison before SuMo comes out, I think.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I was too much in a 'Little Cup' mindset. :sweatdrop:

I'd watch a Pokemon Stadium LP. :v: I had to make do with rentals as a kid so Stadium kept kicking my rear end.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tactless Ogre posted:

As someone whose Metagross got Metronome-Fissure killed by a god drat cleffa; they straight up loving cheat.

The battle facilities don't have the AI cheat. Gamefreak would have to account for an extremely large number of team setups to create cheating AI. The facilities just have an extremely wide variety of Pokemon and teams, and the games encourage you to make very high streaks. And it's very unlikely to get such high streaks without a single loss. It's just how probability works.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 17, 2016

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The battle facilities don't have the AI cheat. Gamefreak would have to account for an extremely large number of team setups to create cheating AI. The facilities just have an extremely wide variety of Pokemon and teams, and the games encourage you to make very high streaks. And it's very unlikely to get such high streaks without a single loss. It's just how probability works.

Grumpig. Outsped. M-Blaziken.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Silegna posted:

Grumpig. Outsped. M-Blaziken.

Can it be proven that it was not holding a Quick Claw?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Can it be proven that it was not holding a Quick Claw?
Yeah, Quick Claw has an animation.

Good to see Gully was doing so good in the lvl10 challenge but man, having only access to Gold, I've had no idea what to expect in the Battle Tower.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

When people say the AI is cheating, they usually mean things like landing 3 Ice Beam Freezes in a row, or landing multiple flinches in a row, or 1HKO moves landing way more often than they should. (It's a roughly 30% chance if you're at the same level.) You can't prove the AI was cheating, but it sure as hell feels like it. And that doesn't require specific AIs, that's just changing the battle engine a little so that moves are more accurate, secondary effects trigger more often, etc. But there's no real way to prove it.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Kikas posted:

Yeah, Quick Claw has an animation.

That depends on which generation you're playing.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Solumin posted:

When people say the AI is cheating, they usually mean things like landing 3 Ice Beam Freezes in a row, or landing multiple flinches in a row, or 1HKO moves landing way more often than they should. (It's a roughly 30% chance if you're at the same level.) You can't prove the AI was cheating, but it sure as hell feels like it. And that doesn't require specific AIs, that's just changing the battle engine a little so that moves are more accurate, secondary effects trigger more often, etc. But there's no real way to prove it.

There's a video proving the Battle Maison cheats. He had a Pokemon against him with a water type out, using lightning moves. He swaps to Garchomp. Enemy uses Ice Beam. The Maison knows your team.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
That's more proof that the game picks moves after you in general.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cerony posted:

That depends on which generation you're playing.

There are 2 Grumpig in the Battle Maison, according to this dump http://members.shaw.ca/teamrocketelite/BattleMaisonData.txt
164 | Grumpig1 | Modest | Leftovers | Rest | Sleep Talk | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Def/SpA/SpD
202 | Grumpig2 | Modest | Wise Glasses | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Power Gem | Energy Ball | Spd/SpA

Though it looks like normal Blaziken & Grumpig share the same base speed and turn order doesn't account for mega evolution until the following turn, so I guess the speedy one could have been what happened.

though isn't a thing that the game tries to alter what pokemon it uses to go for your team? Like I swore that was something said when you go into the Battle Institute, like bringing out weather users if you start using weather yourself.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

rannum posted:

There are 2 Grumpig in the Battle Maison, according to this dump http://members.shaw.ca/teamrocketelite/BattleMaisonData.txt
164 | Grumpig1 | Modest | Leftovers | Rest | Sleep Talk | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Def/SpA/SpD
202 | Grumpig2 | Modest | Wise Glasses | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Power Gem | Energy Ball | Spd/SpA

Though it looks like normal Blaziken & Grumpig share the same base speed and turn order doesn't account for mega evolution until the following turn, so I guess the speedy one could have been what happened.

though isn't a thing that the game tries to alter what pokemon it uses to go for your team? Like I swore that was something said when you go into the Battle Institute, like bringing out weather users if you start using weather yourself.

It was a Chatelaine's grumpig. First time. Blaziken had a hasty nature, and max IVs in speed. I always protect when I mega, so he had +1.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Silegna posted:

It was a Chatelaine's grumpig. First time. Blaziken had a hasty nature, and max IVs in speed. I always protect when I mega, so he had +1.

Looks like her Grumpig is the second one there, then. None of her other pokemon can affect your speed.

Speaking of, man, the Chatelaines have some bizarre pokemon choices.
Nita has the Grumpig, a Wigglytuff and Purugly.
The triple battle one doesn't even have fully evolved pokemon (pilowsine instead of mamoswine & magneton instead of magnezone).

then they all swing hard the other way when they bring out nothing but legendary trios (and latios)

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

rannum posted:

It feels like this might be the case. I know I started seeing a lot of a certain defensive Spiritomb when my Mega Kangaskhan was scoring most to the kills. With Sucker Punch being her only way to hit Ghosts after going Mega I would often lose that run if I wasn't careful about which team members I prioritized.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm sure I read somewhere that if you hack in a Wonder Guard Spiritomb in Gen 4, the AI will start using more status moves like Toxic, and somehow knows of Fire Fang's glitched ability to hit through Wonder Guard no matter what, and will use it more often too.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
Welp my butterfly flew straight into a bug zapper.
It would be nice to have a setting that altered the opponent AI difficulty in the battle areas, possibly with some reduction in prize for easier settings.
As for the cheating I'm pretty sure its more from lazy programming than anything else. While I don't buy the accuracy being changed, I imagine the AI "knows" which pokemon you have and its damage calculations are bugged so it always gets you on the switch. Programming a system to predict switches without knowing what you could be switching into would be an insane chore.
I'd like to think they would run a check for obvious hacked mons and just give you impossible opposition as a middle finger to cheaters

Lavender menace fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 18, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm sure I read somewhere that if you hack in a Wonder Guard Spiritomb in Gen 4, the AI will start using more status moves like Toxic, and somehow knows of Fire Fang's glitched ability to hit through Wonder Guard no matter what, and will use it more often too.

As far as fire fang goes, the AI probably just sanity checks move immunity to avoid stuff like casting thunderbolt at ground types. And in that particular case fire fang is the only move that doesn't ping that so it gets used exclusively.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Silegna posted:

There's a video proving the Battle Maison cheats. He had a Pokemon against him with a water type out, using lightning moves. He swaps to Garchomp. Enemy uses Ice Beam. The Maison knows your team.

The Maisons actively start putting together teams specifically to hard counter yours after a few matches.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

FoolyCharged posted:

As far as fire fang goes, the AI probably just sanity checks move immunity to avoid stuff like casting thunderbolt at ground types. And in that particular case fire fang is the only move that doesn't ping that so it gets used exclusively.

Yeah but you'll eventually get to the point where every single enemy knows the move.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

People bring up Fire Fang a lot, but given that you have to intentionally cheat a WonderTomb in the first place I think that's pretty fair. Its a safe guard more than anything. The fact that the AI exploits sounds less like a bug and more like anti-cheating. Everything else about it is pretty bullshit. I honestly hate the post games like Emerald or X&Y that hand you a dumb Battle Tower and say "yep, this is good enough." It feels incredibly lazy despite knowing they put a lot of effort into the Tower type areas. Plus the fact that it all works on Multiplayer rules too, so it doesn't even feel like I'm getting that much out of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Arcade Rabbit posted:

People bring up Fire Fang a lot, but given that you have to intentionally cheat a WonderTomb in the first place I think that's pretty fair. Its a safe guard more than anything. The fact that the AI exploits sounds less like a bug and more like anti-cheating. Everything else about it is pretty bullshit. I honestly hate the post games like Emerald or X&Y that hand you a dumb Battle Tower and say "yep, this is good enough." It feels incredibly lazy despite knowing they put a lot of effort into the Tower type areas. Plus the fact that it all works on Multiplayer rules too, so it doesn't even feel like I'm getting that much out of it.

But Emerald does not do that at all. It gives you a fully-fledged Battle Frontier with seven different and unique facilities to challenge. XY does, and it's lame, and it's even lamer that ORAS keeps it despite being remakes of the third gen that introduced the Frontier in the first place, but at least ORAS adds the pretty cool Delta Episode.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ORAS's battle resort has a model of the Frontier in the back with people standing around it going 'I hear this is coming soon'. Probably supposed to be Z spoilers.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

fully-fledged Battle Frontier

With cheating AI, poor gimmicks, no battle experience, and limited new Pokemon to catch. Especially when compared to FireRed/LeafGreen's post game which had several new islands to explore and pokemon to catch. AgaIn, I'm aware that they put plenty of effort into the various Battle Facilities. Platinum had a pretty good one too, as I recall. It still doesn't change that the actual experience is a boring slog riddled with problems and so many good hold items and TMs should not get gated behind something so unfun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Game Freak gating hold items, evo items, and TMs behind bullshit is standard for them(see also: the Pokeathlon, Voltorb Flip/Game Corners, evo items that you get one of per game unless you Thief them off wild mons, etc), and the Battle Facilities are just another outlet for that.

The real mistake was carrying over Battle Tower-alikes into each gen, but only having Battle Factories in 2 gens.

• Locked thread