Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Bruna

Bruna, the size of even the largest of the men, heads the in her armor. She moves to unsheathe her great sword and says, in the voice of an absolute leader

"You can't hope to defeat us. Lay down your weapons and you will be spared. I don't wish to harm others."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maristela brings the prayer and even shares a couple of stories which are mostly ancient comical Christmastime tales. Several people slip in animal poop and fall down. This is Humorous.

But then the road calls, and soon enough, so do Bandits. Others are on the case.

"The only wealth that I have," she says, without irony and an earnest look on her face, "is prayer!"

This pilgrimage thing is getting to her.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Leonato turns his wallet upside-down with long-suffering patience. Nothing comes out.

This is primarily so that, should one of them try to stab him, he can stab them free of conscience.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The axeman stares at Bruna, then looks at the others, then back at Bruna. He looks at her sword, then sighs. Cautiously, he puts his axe to the side.

"...yeah...yeah, why don't we try this peacefully. Axes away, lads."

The others follow suit.

"Tell you what. You pay us a tree tax - two coins per head - and we'll move the tree for you,"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sister Flora

"Honest pay for honest work," muses Sister Flora to nobody in particular.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Bruna

"No need." Bruna says simply before approaching the fallen log. Then, she lifts it up by herself and sets it upright, out of the way of the path.

"Why is it that you're harassing simple travelers for whatever they may have? If you require an occupation or the like I may be able to help you."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The would-be bandits shrink back from Bruna's display of strength. The leader gasps.

"God Almighty! Who are you people?"

He seems baffled, even fearful - and no surprise, really. That was quite a display of strength. His fellows crowd around him nervously. He clears his throat.

"We're, ah...we...were soldiers, mostly. Was to head to Egypt on Crusade, but the man who hired us went and got hisself sick before we could go anywhere, and his wife had no call for us. Sent us on our way without any pay. Man's got to eat, though, so..." He gestures at the log.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Bruna

Bruna removes her helmet and begins to explain.

"I live within a covenant of magi. While I myself am not a mage, I help lead the normal people supported by them. Serving magi isn't an occupation everyone can do, for one reason or another, but you could come with us to Rome to see if you can work under me. From there we will return home and I can show you four the covenant. You could become paid swords for us."

Bruna looks over to the log once again while talking "God has a purpose for everyone. I would like to think us crossing paths is a sign. For all of us. I'm glad I didn't have to kill you, at the very least."

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 20, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maristela seems eager to fish out the contents of the saddlebag that had some bread in it in order to share with the banditti.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The would-be bandits stare at Bruna for a moment, then go into a huddle. At last, the one that is probably the leader turns back.

"You said paid. We like the sound of that." The bread is accepted, though Maristela is viewed with some caution as she aproaches. "Magi, though. I heard some about magi. I heard where they's made pacts with the Devil his own self for their powers, or they's turn you into a toad if you so much as look at 'em funny."

He takes a bite of the bread.

"So...we're a bit worried about that, you see. That kind of thing's risky."

One of the other men whispers in his ear. He nods.

"Aye, that's right. Are you offering toad hazard pay, maybe? We can fight an' scout an' all that, right enough, but we're powerful bad at being toads."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Sister Flora

"I assure you the magi we associate with are good Christians."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maristela breaks the bread and shares it with whatever bandits are willing to take hold of it. She saves a piece for herself since that's how you do. Also, it's lunchtime.

"My dear fellows, I could not turn you into toads even if I wished to," she says, with quiet fervence. She does not go on to explain that this is because she has not made much of a study of the technique of Muto, because you don't want to give people anxiety. "I am a student of the stars and planets, that is all."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The ex-bandits turn to stare at Maristela. The leader looks down at the bread he's been eating, then at Maristela again. He looks down at the bread, then Maristela.

He turns back to the others.

"So, I'm not feeling very toad right now and I ate the witchbread."

The others nod, grunting in affirmative. None of them croak.

He turns back.

"We'll take the job."

He grins.

The rest of the pilgrimage is rather uneventful. A few encounters with other travelers happen, of course, but the only one that might have been trouble - a wealthy merchant with a temper - is forestalled when his horse throws a shoe and he is rapidly outpaced. The pilgrimage sites are beautiful, and Rome doubly so. While you do not get to witness a Papal service, you are blessed by a Cardinal. The leader of the former bandits comes down with a minor cold shortly before the entry to Rome and is miserable for the three days you are there, sneezing everywhere. Out of respect for the Church, he does not attend the services.

He recovers several days into the trip home, after eating more than his fair share of rations. Fortunately, the food lasts until two days before returning to Amalfi. While it runs out, you are saved by the serendipitous encounter with Scipio Tacitus, a Bjornaer magus making his way to the covenant in response to a letter from one of the covenfolk. He shares his food with you in return for being led to the covenant, which he claims he wishes to join.

On returning home, summer has begun to wane. The rest of the season is spent recovering from the fatigue of travel and dealing with the daily life of the covenant.

Bruna and Maristela each get 8 XP, which they may spend on any skills related to anything they did while on the pilgrimage. No more than 5 XP can be put in any one skill.

Bruna, Maristela and Sister Flora all also, for their focus and participation in the travails of the pilgrimage, receive a blessing from God. Nothing major - God merely smiles on them, and they receive the Luck minor virtue for free. This grants a small bonus, +1 to +3, on rolls that depend more on luck than skill. They also tend to win games of chance significantly more often than they should.

The covenant gains five grogs.

Autumn, 1220

A newcomer has arrived at Via Obscura - the magus Scipio Tacitus of House Bjornaer, who petitions to join the covenant. The merchants have been busy as well, and the market for illegal paper is booming even as the coronation of Emperor Frederick II looms. The celebrations next season will be something to remember! A few soldiers from Sicily have been seen maneuvering, likely seeking out the local bandits, but the problem of banditry is rife throughout the Kingdom of Sicily to the south - they probably won't have too much success.

The adventure is finally over. Autumn has come. What are your plans?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Beatrice

Beatrice spends this season on the anti-aging ritual she was going to do last season had Bruna not gone on a pilgrimage. She's going to try to make friends with Bruna at least a little while she's working with her. She introduces herself briefly to Scipio Tacitus, coming across as absent-minded and distracted.

Mariel

Mariel is interested in this newcomer as well...if he can help her with her curse, she will be a very happy ex-lycanthrope indeed. So she's hanging around and answering questions--and asking questions--of him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Scipio

"You have my thanks for my admittance. I was concerned that my advances would be taken the wrong way. You have my assurance that I have come to your doorstep only with the best of intentions; I am happy to assist with covenant business when possible. I believe that we will all benefit from my studies."

----

Scipio works fluidly and quietly, arranging his meager possessions in the modest home he has claimed as his own living space. The attached greenhouse was perfect for his own studies, and it did not take as much convincing as he expected for the rest of the magi to consent to his inclusion. Lucky, he thought, that he had come across their pilgrimage at their time of need. He still remembers the looks on their guards faces when he approached the group. Equal parts relief and disgust, between the offered bread and cheese and the glassy-eyed, gaunt, and smooth face that was doing the offering. Lucky that he had not needed to trudge back to Naples. The days were getting colder now.

He makes a mental note to collect a stock of some animals and proper herbs for study and experimentation. Perhaps also install a small fountain or pool for contemplation.

With the last specimen cage placed in order, he returns to the letter he received. Its author was sitting patiently in a nearby seat.

"Do not worry, Mariel, I will find a solution to your problem. As you said, it would be difficult to force this Okerra to reverse the curse. But we don't need him." He smiles, and his thin lips go bloodless. "I believe we can can take this in steps; prevention before cure. It may take some time, however. I would not wish to harm you with a half-formed solution. If you have no further questions, I would like to get started on my research."

Scipio will study the Art Summae Metamorphosis (Muto, L15, Q8)

---

Placido Tancredi

Placido awakes as he usually does, earlier than the sun. Before he dresses, he peeks into his daughter's room. Giada lies sleeping contentedly; Placido sighs, and moves on to start his day. She was already 8 years old. How time flies...he clutches at a small cameo, a keepsake of his late wife, Claudia.

Some hours later, Giada wanders in to his study, where he is nose-deep in correspondence. Colleagues at Salerno and requests for examinations, for the most part. The same as usual.

"Good morning, Gigi." He looks up. She is eating a piece of cheese and bread. "I see you found yourself breakfast on your own. Are you ready for your morning lessons?" Giada smiles. "Yes, Papa." "Good, we shall begin at once." Placido had hired a tutor, but did not like the man's approach - He seemed sloppy when discussing grammar, and almost dismissive of the sciences. Charlatans are everywhere these days, Placido muses. "We will have to find you a man who is more of a scholar than an actor, Gigi." The next few hours are spent drilling academia into the child's mind.

In the afternoon, Placido sees patients. One man with pain in his leg. Another with an infected hand. He works with care, if not tact. "Be more careful next time. And come to me sooner. Your pigheadedness nearly cost you your arm."

Life goes on.

Placido will go about his business, seeing patients and caring for his child.

WampaPartyEX
Jan 13, 2012
Augustus continues his studies until Spring, determined to master his theories.

Ambrogio, meanwhile, takes an interest in Placido and his family. The strange old man introduces himself as the 'sagely Ambrogio,' and proceeds to discuss all manner of wonderful things. He's a natural storyteller, spinning yarns from Roman history and tales about historical wizards. The old man has a flair for the dramatic, waving his staff to and fro as he talks. He demands nothing but time, and asks for nothing but the pleasure of Placido and his daughter's company. The old gentleman seems to know a smattering of just about everything.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Placido Tancredi

Placido allows the so-called sage to tell his tales, so long as it does not keep the physician from his work, nor Giada from her studies. He listens with interest to the tales of old empires and the exploits of the magi. He holds forth with his own stories, mostly of his craft and older cases. Always keeping the identities of his patients secret, of course. There was no need to spread gossip of the noble patrons, and it was cruel to make sport of the common man. Giada, for her part, is rapt with attention. So much more interesting than her father's lessons!

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Tammaro

Tammaro, inspired to work towards a future creation, reads through The Magic of Precious Metal (Terram, Q8).

He's muttering something about caverns to himself. Best to leave him alone.

---

Fiorenza

Fiorenza attempts to get in on the paper trade. Securing a steady source of paper for her good (if slightly strange) friends at the covenant seems like a worthwhile thing to do, and if she can get her own slice of that pie profits-wise, then well, that's worthwhile as well.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Paulio will throw himself with renewed efforts into the creation of his spell, yammering happily at any people that might be interested(or not so interested) into what he might have done wrong and what he will do right this time around.

(I shall try AGAIN to make my spell! I'll get it, damnit!)

Fionius will find that he has done enough for himself for the year and that he should, probably, actually do something to earn his keep to the wizards AND his new bishop patron! He will look for strange, unusual things in the places of rich nobles in the city... but keeping an eye out for strange, unusual things like wizard wants, rumors.

lemotjuste
Dec 6, 2014
(Aristide is still waiting for permission from Bartolomeo to enter the crypt. He's very excited about it and will likely pay a premium if you make him.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We will assume you get permission and can backdate the price. Poking folks who haven't posted activities yet!

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Bruna will take responsibility for her recent charges, and will keep an eye on them while Beatrice works on her ritual. The rest of her time will be spent with Lupenas, learning about how God and his Dominion works from someone with personal experience interacting with angels and the like.

Lupenas will help Bruna, and once Aristide has received permission to explore the crypt, he will explore the crypt alongside Aristide.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

yeah go for the crypt, i'll try to have a post up of some kind over the weekend, m'bad

lemotjuste
Dec 6, 2014
Aristide prepares an expedition into the crypt! And with his new friend Lupenas, whose assistance he welcomes. How happy that it's so close to home - supplying himself should be extremely easy when he can just emerge into the light of day and go across the street. He begins with a general survey - he's going to need to know the lay of the land down here before he gets to specific items of interest.

Fulgencio spends this season recruiting new men and training the new recruits and particularly slovenly old recruits. It involves a lot of yelling.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maristela feels so great about this pilgrimage that she goes to read a book! In particular, the First Word on Finality, not least because it's getting to be harvest-time and autumn afterwards. Over the holidays she has plans, of course. Got to go to Christmas.

Bartolemeo presents basic terms to Aristide: he wants to know what he finds, and that should he find relics of the saints or martyrs, that he be able to get them for the glory of God to safety and honor. Also, that Aristide comes to Mass. Other than this, his desire is more that Aristide should avoid shaming the Church (i.e. please don't collapse the cathedral) and perhaps that if the Lord has need for Aristide's skills in the future... Eh? Eh?

Bartolomeo after this takes an interest in this illegal paper trade business, mostly because it seems like it could cause trouble, especially if people get too wealthy and arrogant. (In other words, Mors, I'm not sure what to investigate with him, hit me up later)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Beatrice

Beatrice sets herself to work on that ritual. It will be done by the end of autumn, with Bruna's help. She takes a small sampling of Bruna's blood, and then begins to prepare a talisman of bone, each taken from a specially prepared corpse. It takes weeks the cleanse and purify the corpses, and more to harvest the bones of hand, foot and rib. The blood serves as the heart of the talisman, to charge it after a ritual that will take a full month. It is personalized to Bruna, and will work for no other. Bruna's participation is simple - every week, she must go in and imbue her blood with another drop, freshly drawn.

With a Creo Corpus lab total of 27, producing a Longevity Ritual with a bonus of +6 and, with Bruna's effective age of 24, costs 5 vis. Beatrice receives 2 XP in one of Creo, Corpus or Magic Theory.

Scipio

Scipio settles into his new laboratory, specimens in hand. He'll need a better stock eventually, but he is more than ready to begin studying, at least. He spends the season with a book, reading through Metamorphosis. It is not an easy text - the anecdotes and metaphors are dense and hard to understand. It takes all season to piece through one of the volumes of the text, and what is clear at the end is that there is much left to learn.

Scipio gets 8 Muto XP.

Tammaro

Tammaro secluded himself with The Magic of Precious Metal. Gold, silver, alloys and value. The text explores the concept of purity and value in terms of magic, and the innate value of gold - or, rather, the lack thereof. It is a fascinating text, but very specific. By the start of winter's chill, he has mastered the text's secrets. IT will be of little more use to him.

8 Terram XP.

Paulio

Paulio decides to try his hand at his spell once more - this time, following more conventional methods. His labwork is slower, but steadier, and while he does not break any significant new ground, he does produce solid work using what has come before. By the end of the season, he has mastered the techniques required to move pigment with his will alone, painting without need for brushes and more solidly aligning the results with the image in his mind. He names it 'The Painter's Brush.'

Paulio's new spell halves painting time and adds Finesse to Quality, so long as it is used for the entirety of the painting process. The spell is level 15 and uses Rego Terram with Herbam and Animal requisites, lasting only while he concentrates, but he can always recast it on other days. The lab text is placed in the covenant's library, albeit still in shorthand. Paulio gets 2 XP to spread between Latin, Magic Theory, Rego, Herbam, Animal and Terram.

Bruna

Bruna spends her time helping in her longevity ritual and studying with Lupenas. Lupenas is not the best teacher in the world, but his ability to devote all of his focus on Bruna alone means that he is well able to teach her to nearly his own degree of understanding. In the meantime, Bruna keeps an eye on her new recruits. They seem to be settling in decently well, with the possible exception of their old leader. He is sullen much of the time, probably missing the authority he held, and spends most of his free time grumbling and drinking. He eats like a horse, consuming as much food as any two of his subordinates. He is quite good on patrol and so on, but when not on patrol he is rarely around to socialize and seems unlikely to fit in any time soon.

Bruna gets 12 XP in Dominion Lore.

Maristela

Maristela settles in to plan her Christmas trip and to read the First Word on Finality. The book is excellently written, but clearly designed for a beginner. The mastery of destruction and endings is a topic that will need further study - far more than the text can provide. But then, it is an early primer, rather than anything more in-depth. Its clarity and ease of understanding are to be praised, if nothing else. She spends most of her time studying in the presence of ashes or the bones that are left over from the ritual corpses being used by Bruna and Beatrice, to better understand Perdo.

Maristela earns 20 Perdo XP, largely exhausting the text, plus 2 from Study Bonus.

Mariel

Mariel hangs about the newcomer, Scipio. Her season is full of questions, though fewer answers than might be hoped. Scipio has no solution - yet. He needs more power, more knowledge, before he can help her. However, the discussions are in Latin, which is quite handy for Mariel's education in the learned tongue. Immersion is hard to get even in Italy, but she's found it.

Mariel gets 8 XP in Latin.

Placido and Ambrogio

Placido spends his season caring for his patients and his child. Giada is fascinated by the strange man who has inserted himself into Placido's orbit. Their stories keep Giada interested and entertained, which helps her focus on her studies in between them. The patients are nothing abnormal - a craftsman strikes himself with his hammer, a dockworker's leg is slashed by a rogue fishing spear, a mercenary won't talk about the cuts he's received.

Placido gets 2 XP in one of Chirurgy, Medicine and Area Lore: Amalfi. Ambrogio gets the same gain.

Fiorenza

Getting into the paper trade will not be easy, now that Fiorenza has waited a season. Things are beginning to solidify. Most of the major presses are now owned by the Voscanza family, the Camarotti family and the Dandolo family. There are some options there that present themselves.

First, Antonio di Camarotti has been placed in charge of the paper interests of the Camarotti - a task to prove himself to his father. Knowing that Antonio is in love with Laurencia di Voscanza, you could blackmail him into giving up one of the papermakers - but that would make you an enemy very quickly. You could, on the other hand, help him in his affair in exchange for control of a papermaker. Either would give you a starting place to break into the trade.

Second, you could manufacture blackmail against a papermaker themself, force them to turn allegiance. It would probably be easiest to do so against one of the Dandolo papermakers - they are the least powerful of the families, after all, and so likely have the least control. Any of the families might do, however, with proper espionage work and blackmail material. The problem will, again, be making an enemy.

Finally, you can attempt to set up your own papermaking business. This will require an outlay of capital - five pounds of silver and one season to construct. You have the capital in theory, but not in silver. Few keep that much silver on hand - it's enough to feed five families for a year. You would have to liquidate some of your winemaking assets and weaken the family business, or get a loan - either from the Church or the magi. The other problem with this plan is that you will need to hire journeymen at best - the paper you produce will be shoddy stuff. Normal paper sells for 150 pounds of silver per ton. This paper would produce, at best, half that sum. Of course, you would be able to improve the quality later, if you could find a master craftsman to run the workshop.

Fiorenza has a decision to make but gets 2 XP in Intrigue unless this develops to a full-scale adventure.

Fionius

Fionius sets himself to work hunting rumors. Much of what he discovers is of little interest to anyone but the people involved - his contacts being mainly smalltime - but there is one story that seems like it might interest both the magi and particularly the Bishop. An innkeeper mentions to Fionius that he saw a man in town who flinched at the sign of the Holy Cross. He has never seen the man at mass either, though he's seen the man about town. His description is vague - he has brown hair and a beard, and he dresses plainly. That could be anyone. But it is well known that the Devil cannot speak the Lord's Prayer nor abide the sight of the Cross, and that the Devil does so love to meddle with pilgrims - and with Amalfi being a pilgrimage site these days, well...

Fionius gets 5 XP in Amalfi Lore.

Fulgencio

Fulgencio spends his time training his men in the sword. He recruits when he can, but it largely ends up replacing those who washed out or who are too old now. There are new faces, but his command does not grow especially larger than it was before. It does grow more skilled, though - his instruction in combat is helping the men quite a bit.

Fulgencio gets 2 XP to spread between Leadership, Teaching and Single Weapon.

Bartolomeo

The paper trade has been banned now by the Emperor, and so it has become quite lucrative. Over the summer there were several street fights between armed gangs, likely in the pay of the various merchant families. Now, while it would be difficult to leegally prove much, it seems the dust has mostly settled and control of the illegal papermakers has fallen to, largely, the Dandolos, Voscanzas and Camarottis. Officially, there are no papermakers in the city, and all of your friends in the merchant families will swear to this - outside the confessional, anyway. Unofficially, it seems most are operating under the cover of warehouses and so on. It seems like much is being delegated to lesser sons, to whet their taste for the family enterprise in a business that, while illegal, will likely not get them into trouble within the city itself. Francisco di Camarotti, the podesta, seems little interested in actually enforcing the law against the paper trade, after all. The business of smuggling will likely get rather dirtier, however, once the paper mills have gotten production into full gear.

Barring more stuff from our chat later, go with 2 XP to spread between Intrigue and Area Lore: Amalfi.

Catacomb Adventures

Aristide and Lupenas begin preparations to head under the Amalfi Cathedral. As the trip remains entirely within the city, provisions are unlikely to become much of an issue. The question is, how much in the way of defense do they plan to bring, what preparations will they make, and which of the grogs will choose to come along with them on their trip into the ruins of an ancient temple beneath the cathedral?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Scipio

In the late hours of night, lit by candles, Scipio considers the technique of Muto. As Bjornaer, should it not be second nature to him? During particularly dense or long passages of the Metamorphosis, he passes between his heartbeast and human forms, in order to better concentrate his mind on the art of transformation. "Perhaps my own familiarity with the heartbeast is causing difficulty. To change myself is simple. To change another is more difficult. The solution is to grant Mariel the means to change herself, then."

Scipio will continue his study of the Art Summae Metamorphosis (Muto, L15, Q8).

---

Placido Tancredi

In his practice, Placido works diligently on the corpse of a clerk. In life the man was young and healthy to the naked eye, yet he turned for the worse and died quickly. Students watch with interest from the edges of the room as Placido opens the clerk and demonstrates the various points of hidden illness. Yet the surgeoun only thinks of his own late wife, even as he describes a gall bladder with clinical detail.

Placido will do clinical demonstrations at local medical schools, widely advertised as available to all students. 2 XP placed into Amalfi Lore.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Don't expect much out of me this week, gonna be at Origins for most of it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Would it be kosher if I sent a churchwarden along as a grog, Mors? I'll think of a seed for 'em later but otherwise I will go "FULL GROG" and be a normal covenant one

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Go ahead. I'll be sending Fionius along for the CATACOMB ADVENTURES. Because that just seems to be right up for his alley, that!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

For grogs, I'd say that the warrior Athanasios would be interested in going, owing to his Avaricious nature.

lemotjuste
Dec 6, 2014
Aristide eagerly (and unhesitatingly) takes charge of the expedition, as its most experienced member. His authority is not a heavy one - he just assumes that everyone will do what he asks of them and carries on his merry way. He lets the more martial members of the expedition look after their own supplies - he gives that aspect no other mind, as he is not expecting to encounter anything especially dangerous in such an urban environment.

He collects plenty of light sources and paper for taking notes and making sketches, as well as traditional archaeological sundries. He instructs every member of the expedition exactingly in how to act. He assigns people to explore specific areas of the crypt (you decide).

-Those who are trained in fighting should keep watch and NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!
-Those who have artistic talents should busy themselves cataloguing the area and any finds through the creation of maps and sketches.
-The magically inclined among them are entrusted to behave themselves appropriately but to be fastidious and diligent in reporting anything they find!

Aristide is insistent, but his concern is overwhelmingly toward getting underway and conducting his own studies, with no attention spared for being suspicious of anyone's motives. It would like be a simple matter to slip things out under his nose or take advantage of his good nature.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

Would it be kosher if I sent a churchwarden along as a grog, Mors? I'll think of a seed for 'em later but otherwise I will go "FULL GROG" and be a normal covenant one

Sure, that's fine! Anyone else getting in on this? You have until Wednesday to post before I just start going.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Just sending a scribe grog along here.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cattedrale di Saint'Andrea
Autumn, 1220

The crypt is cold and damp, lit only by candles ensconced in small recesses. The priests change them every week. The air smells faintly of the sea - likely the result of the damp, which comes in from the port outside. The statuary is beautifully carved, representations of Saint Andrew the Apostle. A feeling of intense awe passes over any present - except for those who have the protection of the Parma Magica. There are several entombed bodies down here - older bishops of the area, likely. But pride of place goes to Saint Andrew. His body lies, skeletal, upon a stone slab, underneath a carving of Saint Andrew's Cross. Latin is carved into the slab, identifying Andrew and offering prayers. The entire area seems peaceful, calm. It is impossible to be afraid or angry in the presence of this holy corpse, as Andrew's aura of certitude and righteousness suffuses the crypt.

Beyond, in an area largely unlit by the candles, a staircase leads down to a solid oak door. The Cathedral records indicate that beyond this door are the ruins of the old temple upon which the church was built. The key has, fortunately, been given by Bishop Bartolomeo. The door sticks, but applying strength opens it with a creak. Torches are needed within, for the darkness is complete. The rough stone tunnel leads downwards, twisting and turning. It is of unsmoothed stone, damp and slick. Care will be needed.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Athanasios thrusts a torch forward into the gloom. "Well, come on, then. We're not here to stand around! If you're ready, I mean, my lords."

lemotjuste
Dec 6, 2014
No sooner has Athanasios raised his torch, Aristide is at the forefront of the party. He commends what he mistakes in Athanasios for a spirit of exploration. If he seems unimpressed by St. Andrew, it's because he has by now become accustomed to the site of the saint's remains after his extensive pre-expedition research.

While he is eager to begin, this does not translate to incaution. As the party begins their descent, he keeps the pace slow but steady, carefully taking each step. It would really put a damper on the whole escapade if somebody died, after all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Careful walking keeps the tunnel from being a problem. Too quick and someone might fall, but the party is careful. The darkness here is complete, lit only by your torches. Here, the calm aura of the saint's bones does not extend, and the darkness is cold and clammy. The tunnel ends in a natural cavern, but one that has been altered. The stalactites and stalagmites are cleared away in the center, and there is a path in inset marble, leading deeper into the cave. The path leads down another tunnel.

The cavern, however, is not empty. A number of statues line the area, but their features are grown over in fungus and dripping stone. It is difficult to say what they once represented. Most of the statues look male, however. A few are indeterminate. They seem to be wearing togas or robes, which suggests Roman origin. There are carvings on their bases, but these have faded with time, and now are entirely unreadable in the darkness, even with the aid of torches.

There are recesses carved into some of the stalactites, as though to hold torches, but they have largely been filled by the dripping of water and the slow, slow growth of stone. The light of your torches also reveals a few odd depressions in the marble, of unclear purpose.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Giovanni the scribe is disappointed that the carvings are unreadable, and stays with the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Lupenas is close to the front of the group, keeping his eyes peeled and enjoying the feeling of pure faith filling the atmosphere.

• Locked thread