Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Pavletica seemed like it would be nicer in your head. It’s in Roldão which has a nice long coast, warm weather, and they’re friendly to outsiders. As friendly as any of the Old World territories in Kunyuba get, at least. This particular settlement is a landlocked shithold just like seemingly every other colonial town you've encountered.

According to the Agency, your job was simple: an “alchemist” in the area was stirring up trouble, purportedly selling a miracle elixir that would, among other things, make you run faster, feel more energetic, and make you “immune to the pains of everydaye life”. You are members of the Paranormal Education Corps, a wing of the Braxton Agency ostensibly dedicated to weeding out those who spread misinformation and “fantastical lies”. Or possibly to perform whimsical puppet-based plays for young children? It’s hard to say, no one’s really sure what the PEC’s actual responsibilities are. Or The Braxton Agency’s, for that matter. Really all you know is that on Monday you came in to a packet of materials waiting for your team: a newspaper clipping mentioning the “travelling alchemist”, train tickets for cargo-class passage to Pavletica, and a letter from one “Mr. Rustam Murali” an innkeep at the Cock and Crook pub saying that the requested room has been booked for the same night your train gets in. As always you are given no further instruction, so far as you can tell the Agency expects you to work within your best judgement with your objective only being inferred. Probably for plausible deniability. Or maybe not. Either way you get a paycheck once a month. Not a big one, but it’s probably better than working in the mines or wherever you would’ve ended up.

Now here you are, in the Economy Suite of the Cock and Crook, on a Friday night. Six bunks are hastily arranged in what is very clearly a storage closet, complete with a barrel of oily rags in the corner. This is probably why after you met Rustam Murali he didn’t show you up to your room, and in fact averted his eyes as he handed you the keys. Oh well, at least you’re here. Too bad the Agency doesn’t believe in petty cash.

You’re in the Economy Suite second-floor closet of the Cock and Crook. This room smells funny. Your “mission” is to investigate rumors of a “travelling alchemist”.

Alright, so I’m sure you all know the drill. Put your character name in bold at the top of the post, character sheet in your first post, Orokos or IRC for dice rolls, blah blah blah. I’m also trying out something new which you can see in bold at the bottom of the post: I plan on putting a little “tl;dr” at the bottom of each post, so to speak. Obviously you should still read everything, but I plan on putting a little blurb at the bottom of each post stating where you are and what you’re doing in case it’s been awhile since you posted or my prose is confusing (or I’m too stoned to be coherent or w/e). Obviously for the first post it’s not terribly useful, but my hope is that as things progress and get more complicated, I can put little reminders, notes, and options in that bolded bit. None of it is supposed to be proscriptive, but is rather meant to be a guide for hurried posting or if you’re just like me and get kinda lost and confused sometimes.

Again, I want to make it very clear that if I write something like The building is on fire. Your choices are to escape the flames or die horribly. that does not mean those are literally your only choices, obviously you are limited only by your own imagination and occassionally dice rolls. You’d think I wouldn’t have to tell people playing an open-ended rules-light PnP RPG that, but experience has taught me otherwise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Fate Points: 3/3

quote:

High Concept:(Was) The Greatest Agent of Cinpoke Kingdom
Trouble: Fullblood Pixie
Favored Consort of The Queen
Other Aspects:

Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Major (6):

Approaches
Clever +3
Flashy +2, Forceful +2
Sneaky +1, Quick +1
Careful +0

Stunts
Cinpoke Style:+2 to Flashy when sword dueling one-on-one!
Your Next Words Will Be ....: Spend a fate point to create the Aspect Predicted Plans with no free invokes.
Super Spy: +2 to Flashy Overcome when using your previous ranking as social leverage

Great got the job and I'm already being thrown into a closet. The room's not the worst place I've had to shack up in but this smell is atrocious. I guess its time to get to work then. Since I'm already here I look around the second floor of the building. Nobody pays attention to a wandering Pixie, show giving me plenty of time to case the area. Hopefully, I can get a sense of who else is staying at the inn tonight. The reports of a miracle elixir are sure to bring in some of the most wealthy, to this town.

Casing the Second Floor: 4dF+1 1

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2016 around 01:34

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Thomas Crowe

Fixing his piercing gaze on each individual member of the team, Crowe sizes up each of them. He speaks deliberately, in a refined baritone. "I suppose introductions are in order; several of you are unfamiliar to me, and I wager a number of you know each other by reputation at best. Thomas Crowe, late of the Dunshire Crowes. For the benefit of the uninformed, my family name carries some weight in Austia, though I expect few would recognize it here in Kunyuba. Prior to my arrival, I took the liberty of acquiring a map of the settlement and surrounding area. It will no doubt prove invaluable in locating our target, this...alchemist."

Crowe has purchased a map of the known areas around Pavletica.

pre:
Thomas Crowe
FP 3/Refresh 3
Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2): 
Moderate (4): 
Major (6): 

Clever +3; Quick +2; Careful +2
Forceful +1; Sneaky +1; Flashy +0

Aspects
Second Son of the Crowes
Hunted by a Jealous Brother
100 Years Behind the Times

Stunts
Cunning Duelist: +2 to Cleverly Create Advantages when I distract, debilitate, or incapacitate an enemy with a blade.
Genteel Demeanor: +2 to Carefully Overcome when I use diplomacy and persuasion in a social situation.
Well-Heeled, Well Connected Once per session (whatever that means in PbP), find a connection or resource in just the right place.

Equipment
wheel-lock pistol; cane-sword; tricorn hat; antiquated finery; Pavletica map

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Sam Jackson
pre:

Samuel Prescott Jackson
Tradesman's Son
Nobody To Come Home To
FP 3/Refresh 3
Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2): 
Moderate (4): 
Major (6): 

Forceful +3; Quick +2; Careful +2
Flashy +1; Sneaky +1; Clever +0

Aspects
Didn't Mean To Loom
Sensible C-Student

Stunts
Lift That Barge -- +2 to Forcefully overcome obstacles in the form of heavy objects

"Don't expect any of you know me, 'less you been to the Cascades, or bought something from the East," Sam rumbles. "I'm Sam Jackson. We end up going East, I'll be the guide. Jumped-up pipsqueak tries to get in our way, might be I can scare him off 'thout messing up my shirt. Brick wall gets in our way, well, maybe I can do something about that too." Speech over, Sam takes a closer look at the barrel. He's seen a fair amount of junk over the years, and he figures he can tell if the thing's liable to go up in flames, or just ruin the fancypants' duds.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Fate Points 3/3

"Ariel Lupei. Now excuse I'm going to see if I can get more information about our fellow guests."

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2016 around 02:46

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

You can't see me at all...

Brother John D’Ark

Brother John knows a thing or two about snake-oil salesmen. Those wheelers and dealers would always set up their tents and podiums just upwind of wherever the Plotinians were having a revival, trying to hock their wares and fleece the good people out of their hard earned money. Folks with miracle water from the distant oceans. Mineral rubs that would fix any skin aliment. Hot dogs that would cure your hunger. Brother Terrance and Sister Greene would have to drive them off, and these fellows would always put up quite the ruckus. Brother Armstrong had banned them entirely from Arcadia, and the demand for proof of efficacy for any treatment had somewhat improved the health of the city both physically and financially.

He doesn't introduce himself to those who haven't worked with him before, but you've probably seen his garb before. The brightly colored coat gives up his occupation as a travelling Plotinian missionary from a mile away. You might have opinions about them, strong opinions; many people do. He seems quite outgoing, though, if a trifle annoyed by the target. "I've no doubt that our alchemist exists, or at least someone like him," he says. "Though if they are selling anything more than water and mixed with lamp oil, I'd be terribly surprised. I'd suggest we check any local fairs or bazaars, anywhere where the innocent and their money are soon parted. After that, any houses of worship or revival meetings. Predators love to lurk near the newly enthusiastic, in the hopes of securing a tithe of their own."

quote:

Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Major (6):

High Concept: Gunslinging Man of God
Trouble: ”Don’t worry, everything will work out...”
Aspect: The Relics of Plotinus

Approaches:
Flashy: +3
Quick: +2
Forceful: +2
Clever: +1
Careful: +1
Sneaky: +0

Stunts
Theologian: +2 to flashily debate religion
TBD

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2016 around 02:41

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sorry, been a trying night IRL. Keep making introductions and plans and I'll make an effortpost tomorrow.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Bellwether Childress

Bellwether picks a bed as his own and drops his kit bag and bedroll on top of it. He's been annoyed the whole train ride in and these accommodations aren't easing his mood any. "So we got a map," he says, looking at Crowe--the name ringing some ancient bell, but he can't place it right now. He casts his eyes over everyone else in the tiny, smelly closet. "Anyone here ever actually been to Pavletica before, or are we all gonna look like tourists taking turns gawking at the map? We stand out, we're liable to draw attention we don't need. Meanwhile the quarry gets away." Like the Plotinian he foregoes an introduction.

quote:

Bellwether Childress

High Concept: I've Been Working On The Railroad
Trouble: The Family Name
Aspect: I Know These Lands

Approaches:
Sneaky +3
Quick +2, Forceful +2
Clever +1, Careful +1
Flashy +0

Stunts
It's An Ambush! gives a +2 to Sneakily creating advantages when attacking from cover.

Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Major (6):

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Dr. Nathan Twist, Astrologer Detective
Fate points: 3/3

Twist prowls the room, poking at the corners and examining the walls. He turns to the group, pulls his mask up a bit to reveal his mouth, and says, "Just so you all don't think I'm a fool: my name isn't really Nathan Twist. I really am a detective. Astrology is fake. I think it might be someone's sick joke that this is the department I'm working in, but that's how it goes sometimes. Providence willing, this is the last time you'll see me break character."

He pulls the mask back down.

"And I, ladies and GENTLEMEN, am DOCTOR. NATHAN. TWIST. Astrologerrrrr DETECTIVE! From north to south and slightly east and very much west I've plumbed the depths of the most devilish mysteries that stumped the sleuths and puzzled the police! With the stars as my guide and the phases of the moon and the intricate dance of the solar fluctuations I have learned the language of our very cosmos and and pluck its whispered wisdom from the ether to answer the questions that could not be answered with my answers that cannot not be questioned. Seeing as this room is an absolute miserable pit for a dog with no legs, I'm going to take my legs that I have and walk out amongst the people of Pavletica and seek the so-called 'alchemist.' I am HIGHLY DOUBTFUL that his claims and practices, whatever it turns those actually are, are actually legitimate. Unlike mine. My practices."

"A-hem. Anyhoo, by your leave, I'm off to be about it."

Dr. Nathan Twist, Astrologer Detective, heads down to gather a crowd of credulous, gossipy, magic-believing people that can be pressed for information about the 'alchemist' using theatrics, fortune telling, and talking poo poo about any other would-be mystics.

Rolling +Flashy to create try and create an advantage: Gather a crowd: 4dF+2 2

Dr. Nathan Twist, ASTROLOGER DETECTIVE posted:

High Concept: “Astrologer Detective”
Trouble: Fraudster
Once a Cop, Always a Cop
Other Aspects:

Stress OOO

Mild (2):
Moderate (4):
Major (6):

Approaches:
Clever +3
Flashy +2, Sneaky +2
Forceful +1, Quick +1
Careful +0

Stunts
TBD

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Ariel

Your snooping finds surprisingly little of note. Most of the patrons seem to either be downstairs drinking or, if they're particularly old and lame, already turned into their rooms, the doors firmly locked. Only one room at the end of the hall stands empty, the door slightly askew. Poking your head in slightly reveals a modest room that while undoubtedly nicer than your closet contains little more than a bed and endtable. You hear rustling from behind the bed, and before you can pull your head back all the way you see a strange pair of violet eyes peering at you from behind the bed.

It looks almost like she's hiding from you for a moment, but then she recognizes your features if not your face.

"Keli kalim." she breathes out quickly, an expression that doesn't really have a direct Austian translation but is a sort of salutation that she managed to say with extreme surprise. "You're a pixie too, right? What are the odds on two of us ending up Pavletica?"

She gathers up a pile of linens in her arms. "Um, Mr. Rustam lets me sleep out back in exchange for cleaning up around here a little." She frowns. "I think he used to keep chickens in there. Anyway, I'm running behind already, but if you wanted to talk more well then like I said they let me stay around back."

She dashes past you into the hall, a pile of laundry taller than she is stacked overhead. "Oh, and I'm Bahaija! Don't let the people around here get you down too much, they're all bigots just like the rest of 'em, but at least they won't kick you for giggles. Uh, bye." She disappears quickly down the hall, a specter of stained sheets.

Dr. Twist

You can hear whispers among the patrons the moment you step foot on the stairs. It's clear that such a... fanciful getup is a rare sight around there, wandering alchemists or no.

It doesn't take much to ensorcell a couple of local rubes with a couple card tricks and theatrics. For better or for worse you find yourself in the middle of a small crowd of patrons - a dozen or so in a close circle, with others watching from their tables - who find themselves enthralled.

The map Crowe purchased has actually turned out to be surprisingly useful. One of the locals seems to have made a hobby of cartography and what the map lacks in "specific measurements" or "technical accuracy" it more than makes up for in gumption and small-town spirit. It includes a "road" (read: long, thin cesspits that the carriages ride over) map of the town, including colloquial names for areas and landmarks. There's a small river to the south of town that seems a likely spot for activity, with the north being mostly hills and rocks in any appreciable direction. The road you followed into town runs East and West.

Sadly it doesn't have a big red circle on it reading "WIZARD GUY IS HERE" but there's really only so many expectations one can have of a small-town map.

Downstairs in the tavern that weird guy has started entertaining the bar patrons, and you're nearly knocked to the floor by a fleeing pile of underclothes that quickly scoots out the back door.

As far as you know this is a normal Friday night in the Cock and Crook.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Thomas Crowe

"You raise a valid point, Mister...." When the merchant fails to provide a name, Crowe continues. "Well, once the gentleman whom for lack of a better name I'll refer to as Doctor Twist has gathered a crowd, I'll proceed to asking after our quarry. Should we learn his whereabouts, I suggest we proceed at once." Moving through the crowd, Crowe privately asks those who appear receptive if they've heard of anyone else passing through the area peddling magic, or at least any other travelers / unfamiliar faces.

Crowe is looking for some sailors alchemists.
Clever Overcome (Genteel Demeanor): 4dF+4 5

pre:
Thomas Crowe
FP 3/Refresh 3
Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2): 
Moderate (4): 
Major (6): 

Aspects
Second Son of the Crowes

Stunts
Cunning Duelist: +2 to Cleverly Create Advantages when I distract, debilitate, or incapacitate an enemy with a blade.
Genteel Demeanor: +2 to Carefully Overcome when I use diplomacy and persuasion in a social situation.
Well-Heeled, Well Connected Once per session (whatever that means in PbP), find a connection or resource in just the right place.

Equipment

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Thomas Crowe

Thomas finds a patron who is watching Twist's show from behind a mug at the bar. He seems amenable to conversation, and introduces himself as Elias. He doesn't even need prompting, instead gesturing towards Twist with his mug. "This guy, I like him. Funny guy. He should head to the faire tomorrow down the the Chatterten's [this would be the nearby river seen on the map]." After being asked about the alchemist, he looks confused for a bit. "Alchemist, alchemist... oh, you mean Dr. Wondermark! He's not an alchemist, he's a doctor! He sells tinctures and potions to cure all ails; he's a miracle worker is what he is! Yeah he should be at the faire too, I heard he has a swimmin' demonstration he does, I haven't seen that one yet!"

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Maestro ven der Haeven

The time for introductions was missed, as the Maestro seemed all too occupied with his notes and calculations, rummaging through the cupboards and arranging his kit. Straps tightened, cords tied, and canvas folded. It was perhaps a bit unseemly as the old man went about his word while introductions and plans were shared, in that particularly oblivious way. Indeed, while others seemed to be unpacking and ready to settle in, it seemed the man was packing to go! Why on earth he had to repack after having just arrived was beyond the kenning of most men, but it was only at that phrase that so quickly grasped his cognizance that he gazed up, peering with a strikingly blue gaze with one eyes pinched and the other bulged, likely in need of spectacles but as ever too stubborn a soul to admit it.

"Been to Pavletica? Before? Even been to Pavletica! Anyone! Humph!" Repeating what the good Mr. Childress said as if the question itself were preposterous, yet waving with a broad hand the maestro puffed up his chest to elucidate. "It can be said that Pavletica what is in proportion to its merits the most known territory of all the proper colonial Kunyuba, which is very much to say there is little of any interest to be found here compared to the many tracts written of it." There is a boisterous bouncing energy to his Imperial accented Austian, and a wry humour that does not bely his obvious disappointment at the assignment. "It is not wonder that the pandering of tonics and tinctures is of such vital interest, being that there is so little to account and expend any attention upon at all."

He clapped his hand upon the solid built upper arm of Jackson. "Friend Samuel seems the right sort to see us through, whatever lay on the map. And our other associate, the loud and quite acclaimed one, shall do much to draw the eye away from whatever the Agency has in mind. And I should very much like to see what our astrologer thinks of the night sky in these eastern lands so that we might be oriented come when we set off again." Any excuse to be out of this miserable, colonial hole. He tugs at his beard, pacing a bit as he looks and realizes that in his going on and preparing, three had already left the room, and he felt quite put out. "Hum! I should lay out the canvas and put all this hot air to use!"

Fendrel scooped up his red bound book, wrapped in ribbons and papers and memorandums. The old man was all vim and vigor, even if this frontier beggared the imagination. "Shall we to the staging inn? Surely any coach filled to the brim of precious cargo must stable their horses, and leave some mark of their passage."

pre:
Maestro Fendrel ven der Haeven
FP 3/Refresh 3
Stress [   ] [   ] [   ]
Mild (2): 
Moderate (4): 
Major (6): 

Clever +3; Forceful +2; Sneaky +2
Quick +1; Flashy +1; Careful +0

Aspects
Illustrious Natural Philosopher Emeritus (High Concept)
I Must Write This Down In My Book (Trouble)
There Were Dragons Here, Once
_____
_____

Stunts
Because Fendrel is a Masterful Study of Behavior, he gains +2 when Cleverly creating an advantage based on observed behavior.
_____
_____

Equipment
tungsten-headed cane, natural philosopher's kit, telescoping monocle, materials for The Book

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2016 around 19:42

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Thankfully the staging inn is helpfully marked on the map. It appears to be called "The Stagecoach Inn". Clever.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Fate Points 3/3

I decide to take Bahaija up on her offer. I wait around a little bit then head to her room. It's fairly nice for the work she is doing, a bed some covers. The most impressive is the copy of the Accords she has; none of the pages are worn. Must be fairly new. It looks like she has made a place for herself here, it's not a glamorous place but it at least looks comfortable.

Once Bahajia returns I ask her about the locals. "So Bahaija, I'm on a job what brought you out to this meager township?"

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at Feb 27, 2016 around 01:07

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Sam Jackson

Sam heads to the staging inn. It's a good bet that an alchemist should need to resupply fairly frequently, and that means exotic ingredients, which means connections to the Confederacy. If he can dig up any interesting shipments, well, that'll be food for thought.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Bellwether Childress

Bellwether opens his kit and rummages through it before pulling a large, sheathed knife from it. "I'll go with you to the stage," he tells Fendrel as he straps the knife to his belt. "May as well get a look around town while there's a show going on here." He pulls some thick brown leather gloves and works them on.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Ariel

"Oh wow!" Bahajra looks surprised, stashing some mud-caked brushes into a crate. "I didn't expect you to come so soon! I have to get to my next job soon, so I can't stay long!" She dusts her hands off and peers out the curtained frame that serves as her door.

"I'm... what? Oh, sorry, I came here looking for work. My mother and father came by ship from Cinpoke, I think I was born then but I don't remember any of it. They're, uh," she rubs at the spot between her middle and ring fingers. "Not around anymore. Since then I've just kinda wandered, Mr. Rustam is the first one I've met willing to give me steady work. Even if I am a, uh, a p-parrot. Everyone else always kicked me out after they were finished laughin' at me."

The Stagecoach Inn

A man that clearly does his best to appear well-kempt despite spending his days at the wrong end of a horse greets you as you walk in. He has a dusty monocle tucked into one pocket, and you'd bet money the lens is chipped under the lapel. "Aye, good mornin' sirs! What can I do for ye today?"

He listens as you ask after any wagons that might match up with what you know about your target. "Oh aye! That uh, that science fella with the potions! He did come through here aye, but only for the first few nights. After a while he and his mates went up into the brush up north and made camp. I think them faire folks that're here for the carnival are up over that way too, dunno if they started campin' together or what."

He scratches at a few errant chin hairs. "Was that all then? I think I hear the ol' mare in the back gettin' ready te' hortch."

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Fate Points 3/3

"You are a Pixie. Stand proud and never let those fools hurt you pride in your blood. I'm here to looking for an "alchemist" do you know anything of the sort?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Ariel

"Oh, yeah, Dr. Whatshisname, with the super potions. I figured he came in with the carnival, but I can't always get out much, y'know? They're supposed to be setting up for some kind of faire? I dunno, maybe it's a human holiday. They shooed me away when I walked up to their campsite. Maybe you're not supposed to see the magician's tricks, eh?"

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Fate Points 3/3

"Alright thanks,"

I head in direction of the carnival. Its a colorful place even this late. Many sideshows are going on even if the majority of the crowd appears to be leaving.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Sam Jackson

Sam nods, with a sympathetic cringe. "Good luck with the old girl."

He heads north, to the carnies' camp. Maybe he'll find out more about the alchemist -- a confrontation would not be ideal, since he can't count on anyone else being there for him.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The carnival, as the pixie mentioned, is still being set up. Supposedly it opens this Sunday for the holiday, according to word around town. The fairgrounds are little more than a roped-off patch of field tonight. Dr. Watermark has apparently been plying his trade solo down by the river for gawkers during the day.

From what you've gathered so far it seems there's little to be done until the morning. Dr. W is supposedly camped out in the north with the faire folk and they're not entertaining visitors. Unless you'd like to get more aggressive with your investigation and drop in unannounced tonight, of course.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at Feb 29, 2016 around 01:19

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Dr. Nathan Twist, Astrologer Detective

Before losing his crowd, Dr. Twist asks around to discover if anyone has actually taken a dose of Dr. Wondermark's tonics. He arranges his tone to give the impression that he already knows Dr. Wondermark and that Wondermark is a decent hand, but couched in a kind of condescending paternalism. "Oh, little Marky is doing pretty good for himself? That's good to hear, we were all slightly worried about that kid. Nice to hear he's able to apply what skills he has out here."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Those who have tried it seem to be big, big fans of the product. It's very expensive due to the exotic herbs and spices, but those who try it almost always come back, espousing it's virtues. "Full of vim and vigour" is a common testimony.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Brother John D’Ark

With people splitting up, Brother John does what he usually does -- seeks out the local chapter of the church. If there's to be a carnival, there ought to be a revival tent, and if there's a revival tent, there should be his people, spreading the good word. Folks at a better inn ought to be able to direct him, so the Stagecoach Inn seems like the place to head.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Brother John

Your suspicions about the presence of a revival tent seem to be well-founded, though like the rest of the faire folk they've circled the wagons up north rather than stay in town. However, it doesn't take much prompting for the innkeep to direct you toward the local chapel on the outskirts of town. It's not Plotinian, of course, but instead seems to be Unitarian*, which shares some similar tenets and regardless tends to be welcoming of strangers. In theory, at least.

The small wooden building is mostly empty when you arrive. There are all of two souls kneeling among the tiny scattering of pews, and a robed man with bent shoulders tending the altar up front. He turns as you approach, a welcoming smile on his face.

You get the feeling that the old man almost always has a welcoming smile on his face, even when he's trying to scowl. His voice is like warm coffee when he speaks:

"Ah, a Brother Plotinian! It is good to see you on this day my friend, even if the hour grows late. I am Brother Munumba Po, how may I help you?"

*Unrelated to any real-world organizations of the same name.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Fate Points 3/3

I return to the Inn, there is no need to get aggressive yet.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sam Jackson

The first thing that strikes you as you look over the crest of the hill into the clearing below is how much the camp looks like a war party. The wagons have been circled into a perimeter, with a sprawl of tents in between hosting a bustle of activity. Mostly folks are hauling large pieces of timber for stages and setpieces, helping themselves to some of the nearby trees. Lots of fires have been lit, and even this late there is still a lot of hustle and bustle. Oddly, you don't seem to see any performers practicing, but it's easy to think they're likely inside or asleep already.

Sentries have been posted at points along the makeshift wagon wall. They're not particularly well-armed from a soldiering standpoint, but they nonetheless wield a number of different pointed and edged devices still quite capable of causing serious injury. Considering their stance and the way their eyes gaze out into the darkness, they seem quite hostile to visitors.

Apart from Brother John and Sam who are still gone, it seems for now at least your best course of action is to reconnoiter at the Cock and Crook and plan your next move. It's getting late, most folks are starting to turn in and head home, if they hadn't already.

Your recon has yielded the following actionable intel:

Dr. Wondermark has been seen plying his trade around town, and has apparently taken to giving demonstrations down by the river during the day. By all accounts he should be there tomorrow as well.

Dr. Wondermark did not travel alone, he had several "mates" when he first came to town, apparently.

Dr. Wondermark no longer stays in town, instead camping up to the north with a bunch of folks ostensibly in town for the faire that begins this Sunday night, a bit less than 48 hours from now.

Dr. Wondermark does seem to be selling some kind of genuine remedy, and has been getting rave reviews from those members of the populace well-off enough to sample it.

The carnival folk up north do not seem to be taking kindly to visitors.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Bellwether Childress

Assuming Fendrel has no questions for the ostler, Bellwether escorts him back to the inn and then wanders the town. It's important to get the lay of the land, especially if one's going to have to make a run for safety or toss off some shots. He pays particular attention to the route from the inn to the river, and from the river to the northlands.

Trying to Create Advantage, and ... coming up short.
Carefully checking the town: 4dF+1 0

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

With the aid of Crowe's map it's pretty easy to figure out a reasonably direct route. At least if you need to get from one place to another quickly you know the way!

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Fate Points 3/3

"It seems the best course of action is to fine Dr. Wondermark early in the morning. We shouldn't need to resort to intimidation yet."

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Maester ven der Haeven - Staging Inn

Maestro Fendrel was mostly writing diligently in his notes the clues, as well as a travelogue of the faces, names and places they had been coming to and fro from as they went along, squinting and scratching at his beard but not immediately contributing to the investigation all that much. The rotund old Imperial was content to rest his haunches wherever he could compared to the more apparently vital young agents out and about. Finally, it was the scout who turned to see if he had any questions, to which he raised his palms. "Ah! A busy, busy day. I wonder where Friend Sam wandered on to..."

He allows himself to be escorted by the scout, a little twinkle in his blue eye, and he makes his way back to his canvas pack. He then walks right out, moving oddly silent for a man his age and paunch.

Outside the Carnival Camp

Taking advantage of the setting sun, ven der Haeven settles into an outcropping with a tush of brush overlooking the landscape, the river, and the carnival folk encampment. Taking note of the fires and the like, he adjusts his telescoping monocle, to a magnification more similar to a spyglass than a magnifying glass or microscope, adjusting for the distance and stilling himself, adjusting the hard pith helmet on his head up a bit to get the shade from is eyes, revealing the improvised camouflage he had thrown together. He looks for any sign of the good Dr. Wondermark, and most especially the men he traveled with, and any other unusual activity in the camp.

Sneakily get a closer look of the carnival camp.: 4dF+2 4

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Maester ven der Haeven

To anyone else's untrained eyes this would be a normal camp of professional wanderers, banding together to dodgethe innkeep out of his six shillings. Most of the carnival folk have turned in for the night, or at least have started to migrate in a bedward direction, interrupted by fits of drinking and boisterous fisticuffs.

It's not hard to spot Wondermark's wagon, it's garishly painted with "DOCTER WONDERMARK'S WONDERFUL CONCOCTIONS AND TINKTURES" in broad white strokes on the side. The wagon seems considerably larger than what a man of his profession would need, the cart standing nearly twice the length of a normal passenger carriage. A lot of light is spilling out from inside, suggesting the lamps inside are at full burn despite the hour, including a number of stove fires. Smoke roils out of a number of chimneys bolted to the sides,

The Cock and Crook will still be serving drinks for the next few hours, but last call comes before midnight and you'll be expected back up to your "room" by then. There are considerably fewer patrons than there was earlier in the night, but enough still remain to provide distraction. The streets are mostly dark and empty.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Sam Jackson

Sam heads back to the inn, and the sumptuous room obtained by their employer. "Nothing seemed out of the ordinary out there to me," he mused. Sam heads to the stables, for a reasonably soft and spacious place to spend the night.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Fate Points 3/3

"Ok whats the play of attack for tomorrow, distract the good doctor as patrons while some of the others snoop around his cart?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Thomas Crowe

"I suspect we'll want to have the good doctor in our custody prior to opening of this fair. The Maestro's description indicates to me that, while this Wondermark character may not be peddling magics, he certainly is up to no good. It falls upon us to put an end to it. Ariel's plan seems fair sound but we will need access to the campgrounds. These carnival folk seem a bit less sociable than one might ordinarily presume performers to be; I rather believe they are complicit in Wondermark's mischief. Perhaps I'll keep them distracted while the more subtle among you investigate the doctor's abode."

When the time comes, Crowe will distract the sentries with frequent innocuous questions regarding the "fair", keeping all eyes on him for as long as possible.

Careful Overcome: 4dF+4 2 Invoking Second Son of the Crowes for an etiquette refresher
Careful Overcome Reroll: 4dF+4 5

pre:
Thomas Crowe
FP 2/Refresh 3
Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2): 
Moderate (4): 
Major (6): 

Aspects
Second Son of the Crowes

Stunts

Equipment

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

Maestro ven der Haeven - The Cock and Crook

Eminently pleased with himself, the Maestro leafed through his red book, opening it up and placing it atop of Crowe's map, to further elucidate. "These shifty folk have particularly little to account for themselves in protecting themselves from mischief, despite being so much engaged in it no doubt. Perilous as it might be, I believe this map of their behaviors and placement could be of use to Friend Bellwether, and the pixie, when it comes time to find out what's no-good this Wondermark character is truly up to."

His map was not really so much a map of the camp, though it was that, so much as an itemized and timed catalog of the individuals spotted, their behaviors, and peccadilloes. It was not a standard reconnaissance or even espionage report by any means, but more akin to a naturalist's study of animal behavior. Indeed, that was how the good Maestro seemed to reduce these kind folk in his analysis, and point out every inclination and assignment he could find. Who was larger, or more in charge, who was prone to leave the tents for a quick refresh of spirits, and who was liable to skulk about at all hours of the night, much like the Maestro himself. How useful it might be to the group thus remained to be seen, but it was a fascinating work nonetheless.

Setting my first, open stunt as "Because Fendrel is a Masterful Study of Behavior, he gains +2 when Cleverly creating an advantage based on observed behavior."
Masterful Study of Behavior. Cleverly Creating an Advantage.: 4dF+5 3
Exact result unknown, but trying to create a beneficial Aspect along the lines of "Carny Familiarity" or something more specific, depending on what you think appropriate, Doomsayer.

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2016 around 21:30

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Brother John D’Ark

"Greetings, Brother Munumba. It heartens the soul to meet another. How goes the Work in the new land? I am here seeking a peddler, a man who claims to be an alchemist. Have you heard any rumors?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Bellwether Childress

The scout casts a sidelong glance at Fendrel when the red book comes out. The old man's nearly glowing. Well, chalk it up as a learning experience; Bellwether should have known better than to judge any of his companions on first appearances. He looks over the studious notes. "Okay. So me and you can try to sneak in," he says to the pixie. "If you want, of course. Mr. Crowe can distract the carnies. I'm sure that--sigh--'Doctor Twist' can assist in that endeavor. So that leaves the Plotinian and you," he says, looking to the Maestro. "Where do you want to be? Oh, and Jackson. He seems to keep to himself, I'm not sure where we can put him."

• Locked thread
«2 »