Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


Brother John

"The Work goes well, my friend, so good of you to ask. As for the man you seek I have heard a number of my flock ushered in by his tales. They claim his potions bring elation and a sense of divine possibility in all things." He shrugs. "I doubt the man has managed to bottle God, personally."



The plan so far seems to be a sort of reconnaissance ambush at the site of Dr. Wondermark's demonstration tomorrow. Fendrel has produced a studious list of their comings and goings, revealing a larger operation than you would have guessed. Wondermark seems to have a number of "assistants" with his work, something which curiously was not noted by some of the other people the party interviewed. Assuming you are all ready for your operation tomorrow, the only thing left to do tonight is turn in and wait for sun-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...


Dr. Twist, Astrologer Detective

Phone posting so a real post is hard but put me down as helping with the distraction, I'll post something more specific tonight

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...


Dr. Twist, Astrologer Detective

Not much to do until the morning. Dr. Twist scribbles a bunch of things into a notebook before retiring for the night. He falls asleep sitting upright on his cot, still wearing his mask.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015



Fate Points 3/3


I head to bed, seeing that there is not much left to discuss.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


Sorry, crazy weekend, I should be able to post later tonight or tomorrow.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


Nothing much of terrible consequence happens overnight as tends to be the case in little colonial towns.

You wake up with the dawn Saturday morning, heading down to the river first thing. You're surprised to find Dr. Wondermark's carriage already standing along the waterfront when you get there, shutters open with products on display. As Faendrel in particular notes, this is not the wagon he and his team were working in up at the carnival camp. This one is much smaller, not so much a carriage as a small buggy to be pulled by two horses. It seems to be little more than a mobile storefront for his wares, there's no way any manufacturing was being done in it.

"DR. WONDERBARK'S FANTASTICAL POTENT POTABLES" is brazenly sloshed in white paint along the bare sides. Already a small crowd has gathered around the wagon, though it appears the good doctor hasn't begun his first show of the day yet. Instead he seems to be stumbling around inside the cart, fiddling with unseen bits and bobs, mostly obscured through the shutters.

If he's brought any of the rest of his team with them, they're not readily apparent.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015



Fate Points 3/3


"Alright, I'm going into to the good doctor's main wagon now." I sneak off from the crowd, its fairly easy considering the crowd that has built up.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


So you're sneaking off to the fairgrounds? That's fine I just want to confirm, and see if anyone else is coming with you.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there



Thomas Crowe

"Not a moment to waste. Those of you who remain here, do keep an eye on Doctor Wondermark. I imagine if he plans something untoward, a large group of people would be the place to attempt it."

Crowe joins Ariel

pre:
Thomas Crowe
FP 2/Refresh 3
Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2): 
Moderate (4): 
Major (6): 

Clever +3; Quick +2; Careful +2
Forceful +1; Sneaky +1; Flashy +0

Aspects
Second Son of the Crowes
Hunted by a Jealous Brother
100 Years Behind the Times

Stunts
Cunning Duelist: +2 to Cleverly Create Advantages when I distract, debilitate, or incapacitate an enemy with a blade.
Genteel Demeanor: +2 to Carefully Overcome when I use diplomacy and persuasion in a social situation.
Well-Heeled, Well Connected Once per session (whatever that means in PbP), find a connection or resource in just the right place.

Equipment
wheel-lock pistol; cane-sword; tricorn hat; antiquated finery; Pavletica map

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015


Yeah seems like the best thing to do now with the doctor not being there

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!


Bellwether Childress

Bellwether follows after the two of them, trying to keep them in sight while also letting the group be split enough without drawing attention.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


Alright, we'll have you guys hit both simultaneously. When I get a chance to post it'll be divided into two parts: The River and The Fairgrounds. The River is where Dr. Wondermark himself is, about to demonstrate his products south of town. "The Fairgrounds" is the clearing up north where travelers in town for the fair/carnival are staying and (next-post spoilers ) beginning to set up the fair proper, as well as where the Doctor stays the night.

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...


Dr. Twist

With others off to investigate the fairgrounds, Dr. Twist readies himself to get into Wondermark's grill and stay lodged there like popcorn kernel shrapnel. Dr. Twist does his best detecting by starting with a nice interrogation. By applying just the right amount of condescension while putting up a front of just enough stupidity and asking a whole bunch of questions, it's Twist's theory that he can get Wondermark to put up some (probably false, but a good collection of falsehoods can outline the truth for you) details about the product and wheedle a free sample out of the man. If Twist doesn't recognize the mixture as any specific drug or concoction, then perhaps the maestro will know a thing or two about forensic chemistry. And if that doesn't work, he'll see who he can get to throw dice for the duty of chugging it and giving a first-hand report.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


The River

The crowd seems to be getting anxious, ambling in a slow circle in an attempt to look busy and adopt an air of important aloofness but also not actually have to leave the site of potential excitement. Murmurs begin to spread around the crowd, apparently wondering if the show has been cancelled for today.

Without warning the back doors of the wagon spring open with a hearty oaken banging of hinges, followed by a loud BANG and a moderate-sized spray of confetti. A short-ish white-haired man leaps from the wagon with an air of manic theatricality, dramatically tearing off his glasses (revealing sunken, red-rimmed eyes) and announcing "Welcome, one and all, to Doctor Wonderbark's Magnificent Magical Emporium!"



He seems considerably more clown than doctor in his showmanship and white greasepaint, but you'll be damned if it doesn't look like underneath it all there might indeed be a distinguished older gentleman. Beneath the wavy red "W" emblazoned on his forehead are the deep furrows of a scholarly-type, the paint accumulating a bit in the indentations his glasses have left. And while it may be increasingly stained with makeup and heavily road-worn, his suit and tie seem to be the genuine article, probably tailored somewhere in the Old World if you're any guess. Austia or Antiva maybe.

Dr. Twist hasn't taken more than two steps toward the alchemist when he whirls around on him, "A customer already! Well step right up my costumed friend! Come, tell me your ills, what ails you on such a lovely morning?" With a flick of his arm he's produced a small, slim folding stand and places it in front of him.

"Tell me," Wondermark asks as he fishes several tiny vials of variously-colored liquid out of his coat and places them on the table. "just tell the good doctor, I have potions and tinctures for all maladies! Do you have the croats?" A tiny green bottle flashes onto the table. "Persistent cough? Irritation of the larynx?" This bottle has more of a salmon substance inside. "Or, would you like to pull out all the stops?" He waggles his eyebrows at the crowd conspiratorially, some of whom giggle softly. "Maybe you just want to a better man than you are right now? Maybe you'd like to run faster, jump higher, and be stronger than you ever thought possible?" He produces a tall, thin vial filled with a pale sky blue. "Then you want DR. WONDERFUL'S MAGIC ELIXIR!"

He turns on a heel and flashes the vial for all the crowd to see. "No tricks no charlatanism here, just jehn-you-whine magic plumbed straight from the heart of Kunyuba herself! Wonders and sights not dreamed afore until man set his foot upon it! A New World miracle bottled by Old World science, yours for just fifteen dollars!" Here portions of the crowd winced slightly, while others just laughed. It seems the good doctor is charging nearly three weeks' wages just for a bottle of this stuff? Still, even while many clearly cannot afford the stuff, you see others surreptitiously palming bills and coins. Apparently there are some customers after all.

"But you sir!" He says, staring Twist directly in the eyeholes. "You seem like a skeptic! What say you? Will you give the magic of Kunyuba's hearth a try?"



The Fairgrounds

As you approach the camp site you come across a bustling scene a ways south of camp. It seems construction on the fairgrounds has begun, with lots of circled wagons and piles of timber littering the landscape. It seems surprisingly large for a travelling colonial fair, but Pavletica probably gets a fair amount of traffic in from the road, so maybe this is just an elaborate pit stop.

The construction folks seem to have the place locked up fairly tight, with the wagons creating a perimeter of the fairgrounds, but it would be fairly trivial to walk in on foot.

The original campsite to the north is also still active and occupied, presumably along with Dr. Wondermark's larger cart.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015



Fate Points 3/3


Ok, the campsite is filled with people, this isn't the perfect scenario but It will have to do. I begin my movement into the doctor's cart. Hopefully, my partners will help create enough of a distraction to take the heat off me before I make the full infiltration attempt.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


Give me a roll for that, if you'd please

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there


Captain Walker posted:


Thomas Crowe

When the time comes, Crowe will distract the sentries with frequent innocuous questions regarding the "fair", keeping all eyes on him for as long as possible.

Careful Overcome: 4dF+4 2 Invoking Second Son of the Crowes for an etiquette refresher
Careful Overcome Reroll: 4dF+4 5

pre:
Thomas Crowe
FP 2/Refresh 3
Stress [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mild (2): 
Moderate (4): 
Major (6): 

Clever +3; Quick +2; Careful +2
Forceful +1; Sneaky +1; Flashy +0

Aspects
Second Son of the Crowes
Hunted by a Jealous Brother
100 Years Behind the Times

Stunts
Cunning Duelist: +2 to Cleverly Create Advantages when I distract, debilitate, or incapacitate an enemy with a blade.
Genteel Demeanor: +2 to Carefully Overcome when I use diplomacy and persuasion in a social situation.
Well-Heeled, Well Connected Once per session (whatever that means in PbP), find a connection or resource in just the right place.

Equipment
wheel-lock pistol; cane-sword; tricorn hat; antiquated finery; Pavletica map

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010


Sam Jackson

Sam nudges his way through the crowd, and watches the 'alchemist' intently. 'heart of Kunyuba' -- so he does get his supplies from the Confederacy. Hmm.

"Your offerings are impressive, good sir!" he calls out. "Have you traveled to Cascadia yourself, or do you have a factor who provides you with wondrous materials to make your elixirs?"

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!


Bellwether Childress

For now, Bellwether hangs back and watches from beneath a tree. If it looks like Ariel gets in trouble, he'll move; likewise, if Crowe isn't giving enough of a distraction, Bellwether wil offer up something a bit harder.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015


Sorry My password for orokos isnt working I sent a password reset

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015



Fate Points 2/3

Here's the roll

1 fate point to invoke Aspect Secret Agent

Sneaking Into Dr. Tent:Sneaking Into Dr. Tent: 4dF+3 1

The dice hate me

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...


Dr. Twist

Dr. Twist steps up next to Sam. "Yes, indeed, where do you get your ingredients? You see, I am indeed a skeptic, but for good reason! I have been afflicted with a terrible condition, such that I must wear this mask not only to protect myself, but to protect everyone else from the gruesome countenance of my visage! Naturally, I sought the counsel of healers, but such hucksters and frauds as they were did naught to make me whole and, in fact, provided further disfigurement and malady!" Dr. Twist holds up his hands. "Now, my dear fellow Dr. Wonder(b/m)ark, I don't mean to imply that you are some kind of tricksy scumbag, but I've been burned before! At one point, literally. Surely, if you are in fact above board, and in truth the good people of this town have nothing but praise for your products, you won't deny a poor man the chance to satisfy his cautious nature?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


The River

"Ah, of course my good man, a-always good to see another man of science!" The excitement in his voice is palpable. "My ingredients are unknown to most modern medicine, but I assure you they are turgid with primal magics from the heart of Kunyuba herself! I travelled among the Dwarvish shamen of the Mundawo plains, and when I had gained their trust they allowed me to join them on a pilgrimage to the caves of Kuti Phanga! They taught me of powerful herbs to be combined with ancient rituals for incredible vivacious power! I don't wish to bore you or these good folk with specifics of measurements and recipe, but my miracle cure is extracted from pure Chamba tree syrup, leaves of the Bongobongo shrub, and finally..." He lowers his voice conspiratorially and leans into what could roughly be called Twist's ears. "Just a dash of powdered Magani root." Despite his theatric attempt at secrecy, his voice is still clearly audible amongst the crowd.

"Perhaps a demonstration for my skeptic friend? Who would like a sample of Dr. Wondervark's Magical Elixative!?" With a flourish he pulls out an even smaller, apparently trial-size vial.



The Fairgrounds

Ariel
Security is tight around the campsite, and it's clear from the start that you'll never make it so far in as the doctor's caravan. Luckily, Crowe's distraction goes even better than planned. From the moment he approaches the perimeter, denizens of the camp start scurrying toward him like ants to sugar. You take the opportunity to dart through empty spaces between the tents. It's broad daylight in a grassy field, so it seems unlikely that you got past entirely unseen, but if anyone has had any complaints they haven't raised an alarm. When you actually get to Wondermark's carriage, however, there's a wrinkle. It's not empty.

The windows of the caravan are wide open, plumes of heavy smoke and vapour occasionally roil out of them, tinted shades of dark purple or forest green. From the sound of it, inside they seem to be... cooking? Come to think of it, there are no less than three cooking fires alight in a circle around the caravan, each with a cauldron of water on the boil. What, did Wondermark bring in his own catering?

Crowe

"Oy oy oy!" A large, burly shirtless man is the first to introduce himself to you by way of an outstretched palm. The other palm holds a large hunk of heavy hewn wood. "No visitors, not afore the fair's ready, certainly not into our persn'l tents, and certainly certainly no nobs!" Several other well-muscled types start flocking over at the commotion. At least you can see the shape of that pixie dashing through a hole in the perimeter. You'd only glanced away for a split second and yet it seems the man's already impatient with your lack of attention.

"I'm sorry, there a hole in yer 'ed where your ears should be? I said pike off!"

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...


Dr. Twist

"...Well, worth a go." Dr. Twist hitches his collar up and crouches down to hide his face, and then takes a small sip of the potion before palming the vial and the remainder. Once upon a time, in his capacity as an officer of the law, the man under the mask had occasion to become acquainted with the cornucopia of narcotics and moonshines that were peddled by the various street-corner pharmacists of his city. He calls upon that knowledge now to determine if our alchemist is merely peddling Midnight Oil dressed up to be palatable to the rural types.

Taste testing a potion with cleverness: 4dF+3 5

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


It really is quite a lovely sensation despite being the consistency of watery mud, like your mouth is burning with a light spring wind and your throat is made of copper. You do indeed feel like you can run faster and jump higher, and if you didn't know any better you'd swear you had liquid magic on your lips.

A big ol' bottle of Midnight Oil will do that to you. Well, to be fair to the doctor, it seems to be a bit more than that. It's a rather lovingly crafted cocktail of cocaine, a dash of local opiates - a little Hell's Bells? That's just pure class there - and a handful of other substances you can't identify but can guess at their pharmacological effects.

Truth be told it'd be quite a fun little drink for the weekend, and even the high price he's charging is probably pretty fair all things considered. Definitely not magic though.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015



Fate Points 2/3

I decide to wait around and see what is being made at the Doctor's carriage. Openly charging in does not seem to be wise at a time like this.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


After about fifteen minutes of reconnaissance, you're fairly certain that these goons are manufacturing drugs of some kind. Lots of boiling vats and plant matter and whatnot, with nothing but "elixers" being produced.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


At this point several things are occurring at once in need of resolution:

Twist has taken a swig of the Doctor's concoction and concluded that it's largely cocaine and other narcotic substances, but not magic. Wondermark is currently looking at him expectantly.

Ariel, at the campsite, has come to the same conclusion, seeing several goons carting around drug-making supplies. It won't be long before he's noticed, so if a move is going to be made it should be now.

Crowe is currently being accosted by an angry carnie who is demanding he leave the camp.

Any or all three can be assisted in their endeavors.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


Also, the whole town is abuzz about this weird carnival and that seems like the kind of place where something interesting and plot-moving might happen, so you can let the drug peddler(s) go and just wait until tomorrow night.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015



Fate Points 2/3

I make a leave of the scene after learning everything I could from the mobile brewery

Sorry was sick the last couple of days

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...


Dr. Twist

"That's it? ...Well, alright, if that's your business, that's your business. Best of luck." Dr. Twist does an about-face and slouches his way on out of there.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


Disappointed, you slink back to the inn without further incident, dreading the report you'll inevitably have to file when you get back to station that it was just another eccentric pharmacist. For the rest of the day you make travel arrangements and clean up loose ends, taking statements and such. After sundown the tavern is surprisingly quiet despite the upcoming holiday, apparently everyone has receded home for the night.

You were just getting ready to turn in yourselves when a light begins shining on the horizon in the direction of the fairgrounds. Not so bright as daylight, but far brighter than any campfires you've ever seen. The source of the muddy yellow light is hidden behind the hills, but it's accompanied by... Music?

It's very faint, but you can just hear it, light-hearted wind instruments rolling along with the breeze. You have to admit that it's very inviting and, well, exciting. The hour grows late but you feel wide awake, and it seems the townsfolk share your enthusiasm. What looks like everyone in town have taken to their windows and begun to spill out into the streets in their bedclothes. Farmers titter like school children at the strange light and the mysteries it holds.

More and more people begin walking toward the fairgrounds, some not even bothering to lock their doors or dress in more appropriate attire for the night air.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015



Fate Points 2/3

"Gentlemen I believe the case just got more interesting" I say grabbing my scimitars moving downstairs!

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at Apr 2, 2016 around 20:08

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


The music gets louder and louder as you approach the campground, the universal murmur of the townsfolk turning to delighted cries and screams. Cresting the hill overlooking the campground, you are floored by what you see:



A carnival, the likes of which would be a topic of conversation for months in even the biggest Old World cities, has sprung up in the middle of the grassy field. Electric street lights are a wonderful novelty even in the largest cities, but this carnival has lit up the night sky without a single boiler to be seen. Pavletica has no power grid of it's own, and even if it did getting all this electricity out into the middle of a field would be an incredible feat of engineering and ingenuity.

And yet somehow these traveling carnies have done it. Motorized horses spin on a wooden platform, hanging chairs are pulled up and down an elevator, all lit in incredible yellows and greens and blues, the air filled with lilting music.

"COME ONE, COME ALL!" The barker's voice is alarmingly loud as it booms across the valley. When you catch sight of him, his eyes are pulled wide under his garish tophat, a manic smile plastered on his face. "TO THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH! MARVEL AT MODERN WONDERS! FEEL THE INCREDIBLE POWER OF SCIENCE AND MAGIC TOGETHER AT LAST!"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


The carnival is abuzz with activity at this point, and you're guessing a lot of it has to do with the "samples" being handed out to the townsfolk milling about. The men and women handing out the samples are covered in layers of bright paint and colorful cloth (plus, you can't help but notice, some very ugly-looking lengths of weaponry tucked in their carnie robes), but Ariel, Bellweather, and Maestro agree that these are the same henchmen who were in Dr. Wonderful's caravan. It's probably safe to assume the same cocaineinated concoction is what's being out here. Children included, it should be noted.

From the sound of things, the good doctor himself hasn't been very visible tonight, but is slated to make an appearance on the main stage at midnight. Somehow, you're beginning to think this opiate-peddling warlock gleefully drugging the population of a small frontier town may be up to no good.

An electric carnival has sprung up impossibly in the middle of a grassy field and the townsfolk are eating it up with amphetamine-fueled glee. This can certainly only end well.

Tell me what you want to do be doing at the carnival, consider this an interest check as well, if you're still here lemme know! For possibly the first time in my life I actually have a consistent schedule and will have it until June

PublicOpinion
Oct 20, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...


I'm still here but my work schedule has been a real killer, I'll try and post more soon

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015


Yeah its the end of the year and exams are coming up I'll have another post up soon

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


Oh it's totally cool, I'm not really worried about the speed of things, I'm just worried I've transferred the boringness of actual colonial American history over to the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.


So, only two left... I guess I should re-open recruiting? Was it really that bad? I think I knew of two other goons who were interested? Three if you count Viscardus. Should I just let it die?

  • Locked thread
«2 »