Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kalit posted:

You should actually read articles before posting about them. Germany also seems to support this threat:

yeah and talk's cheap. see also: russian demands

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mobby_6kl posted:

Well that's not great

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/27/soldier-opens-fire-kills-five-troops-at-ukraine-military

I wonder if that's just a nut job, a sympathizer, or one of those saboteurs that are supposedly on the ground.

Attacking a whole guarded facility alone has to be a nutjob because any reasonable person wouldn't take that poor chances of staying alive. But a nutjob can also get instructions from the outside, like how Isis grooms potential suicide attackers online. Or maybe someone there was banging his wife or mother.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

why do you think that germany and russia shouldn't be taken at their word?

Nenonen posted:

Attacking a whole guarded facility alone has to be a nutjob because any reasonable person wouldn't take that poor chances of staying alive. But a nutjob can also get instructions from the outside, like how Isis grooms potential suicide attackers online. Or maybe someone there was banging his wife or mother.

don't know enough about the situation (im not sure anyone does) but i think everyone is immensely skittish that any bit of violence could be cited as a justification to invade

the interior ministry is reporting that the guy was fired “for undetermined reasons” shortly before the attack

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 27, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

The Baltic pipeline goes both ways, you know. Nato could pump through it a nerve gas that turns Russians into homosexuals.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I find it rather disingenuous to bring us up as an example of NATO actively encroaching upon implied passive Russian hinterlands.

It's not disingenuous. I understand there's several EE posters in here (including you) and of course y'all's perceptions of what's going on wrt the Ukrainian crisis are going to be informed by your own countries' history with Russia. As they should! That's perfectly reasonable. I even understand why, from the Baltics' point of view, joining NATO was a wise move. But I also understand why NATO expansion would be seen as threatening to Russia. What did the U.S., France, Turkey, et al. gain from the Baltics joining? Just because the Baltics wanted in doesn't mean NATO was obligated to bring them in.

You and anyone else can disagree with whether NATO expansion was/is actually threatening or not, and that's fine. But it'd be nice if the newly-appointed IK didn't dismiss alternate points of view as being in bad faith. That seems like a really good way to stifle debate in a debate and discuss forum.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Why do you think Nato exists if not to bring stability to Europe? Isolationism didn't work out that well for USA one hundred years ago. It would be silly to dismantle it all just because the sort of bully the system was designed to protect its members from demands so.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Why do you think Nato exists if not to bring stability to Europe? Isolationism didn't work out that well for USA one hundred years ago. It would be silly to dismantle it all just because the sort of bully the system was designed to protect its members from demands so.

Is this in response to me? I said nothing about dismantling NATO or giving in to the demands of a bully.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

It's not disingenuous. I understand there's several EE posters in here (including you) and of course y'all's perceptions of what's going on wrt the Ukrainian crisis are going to be informed by your own countries' history with Russia. As they should! That's perfectly reasonable. I even understand why, from the Baltics' point of view, joining NATO was a wise move. But I also understand why NATO expansion would be seen as threatening to Russia. What did the U.S., France, Turkey, et al. gain from the Baltics joining? Just because the Baltics wanted in doesn't mean NATO was obligated to bring them in.

You and anyone else can disagree with whether NATO expansion was/is actually threatening or not, and that's fine. But it'd be nice if the newly-appointed IK didn't dismiss alternate points of view as being in bad faith. That seems like a really good way to stifle debate in a debate and discuss forum.

I'm neither dismissing any viewpoints there, nor claiming that Russia must not perceive the growth of NATO as threatening. I just note that some people posting here like to pretend that Eastern European countries cannot have a sovereign will of their own, in that NATO expansion purportedly was as a unilateral act of encroachment upon Russia's "sphere of influence" by the United States. If someone were to say "when Baltics joined NATO" instead of "when NATO expanded towards Russia", I wouldn't care at all.

If my goal was to dismiss someone, I could just probate them without any consultation or explanation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

TipTow posted:

Is this in response to me? I said nothing about dismantling NATO or giving in to the demands of a bully.

But you're saying that the Baltic states shouldn't have been allowed because it upsets Vladimir.

Okay, let Vladimir take the Baltics. But oh no, now Nato is the Russian border in Poland! Better let Vladimir take Poland too, so stability is maintained.

What's that, Germany is too close to Russia..?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm neither dismissing any viewpoints there, nor claiming that Russia must not perceive the growth of NATO as threatening. I just note that some people posting here like to pretend that Eastern European countries cannot have a sovereign will of their own, in that NATO expansion purportedly was as a unilateral act of encroachment upon Russia's "sphere of influence" by the United States. If someone were to say "when Baltics joined NATO" instead of "when NATO expanded towards Russia", I wouldn't care at all.

This is all fair, and I understand the differentiation you laid out in that last sentence.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If my goal was to dismiss someone, I could just probate them without any consultation or explanation.

This reiterates my concern. It doesn't give me a lot of hope that opinions aren't going to be moderated in here.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Nenonen posted:

But you're saying that the Baltic states shouldn't have been allowed because it upsets Vladimir.

Okay, let Vladimir take the Baltics. But oh no, now Nato is the Russian border in Poland! Better let Vladimir take Poland too, so stability is maintained.

What's that, Germany is too close to Russia..?

Please quote me where I said this, or where you think I did.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TipTow posted:

What did the U.S., France, Turkey, et al. gain from the Baltics joining? Just because the Baltics wanted in doesn't mean NATO was obligated to bring them in.

Traditional dances.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fundamentally, Russia's conception of it's own security requirements are that it requires other countries to dismantle their own security guarantees.

There just isn't really anything to discuss there. Russia believes it is special. That's obviously not true. The only real ability that Russia has to exert influence beyond its borders is through the threat of force, and that ability disappears once its neighbours join NATO.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

TipTow posted:

What did the U.S., France, Turkey, et al. gain from the Baltics joining?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

excuse me, but have you considered

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

nurmie posted:

I will raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCUrEIpSJQ

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I mean that’s good food, people make fun of borscht but everyone I know who’s tasted the real thing in Russia says it’s incredible

Also part of me wants to see what the hell that weird checkerboard salami sausages from old Soviet catalogues tastes like

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TipTow posted:

This reiterates my concern. It doesn't give me a lot of hope that opinions aren't going to be moderated in here.

Some opinions definitely will be moderated. For instance, if someone makes claims that Ukraine is a fake nation that was engineered to split Russia, or if someone calls for CIA to assassinate Putin. Or if someone comes in with a talking point that’s deliberately inflammatory or is otherwise difficult to be construed as an act of good faith participation in discussion of Eastern European affairs. Besides, both D&D and general forum rules do not permit quite any opinion in general.

In any case, we have an entire sub forum dedicated to discussing moderation problems. If you feel oppressed by my presence, I do suggest that you open a corresponding thread there and take it up with D&D moderators, who appointed me as an IK without me volunteering for the position in the first place.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

:lol:

Getting rid of Nuclear and replacing the majority of that with Natural Gas was a terrible idea.

This. So much this. WTF.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Why do you think Nato exists if not to bring stability to Europe?

To be an anti-Russian alliance that projects American power throughout Europe. It's a deal that generally works out very well for the countries within the American sphere of influence, to be fair.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oracle posted:

This. So much this. WTF.

That was subsequently debunked by Finnish posters, the country has a steady domestic supply of nuclear energy, and is further expanding it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

nurmie posted:

Oh I remember those.

I wish I did not.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Some opinions definitely will be moderated. For instance, if someone makes claims that Ukraine is a fake nation that was engineered to split Russia, or if someone calls for CIA to assassinate Putin. Or if someone comes in with a talking point that’s deliberately inflammatory or is otherwise difficult to be construed as an act of good faith participation in discussion of Eastern European affairs. Besides, both D&D and general forum rules do not permit quite any opinion in general.

In any case, we have an entire sub forum dedicated to discussing moderation problems. If you feel oppressed by my presence, I do suggest that you open a corresponding thread there and take it up with D&D moderators, who appointed me as an IK without me volunteering for the position in the first place.

what about borscht opinions?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’d like to chime in about NATO expanding into former Warsaw Pact and Baltics. I don’t know the WP details, but Baltics basically bankrolled their own armies from 0 in early 90s, paid for Danish advisors, and then sent them dressed in Adidas and hand-me-down equipment to die Balkans to buy ourselves a shot at joining NATO, which was a day 1 priority when the Soviet Union fell. I find it rather disingenuous to bring us up as an example of NATO actively encroaching upon implied passive Russian hinterlands.

Here’s an informative thread on this:

https://twitter.com/profpaulpoast/status/1484883749527506946

In other news:

https://twitter.com/annmarie/status/1486137108964200451
I knew we jumped on the independence of the Baltic States before it was even official, but never knew about the rest. It does make me wonder, what did Russia think was happening? Like, a NATO member starts courting a breakaway republic before it's even official, and then more NATO members jump in and start integrating their military with the rest. The ascension can't have been a surprise, or did Russia literally not pay attention unless the US was directly involved? Is the trick for the US to just hang back until Poland has gotten Ukraine up to speed, then just jump in at the last moment to sign Ukraine's ascension papers?

Dwesa posted:

Oh I remember those.

I wish I did not.
I wanted to ask what they were. Now I really want to know.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what about borscht opinions?

Consider being very delicate with your commentary on how much of a borsch’s volume should be taken up by vegetables. Otherwise you’ll wake up to 50 people from Ukrainian territorial defence forces trying to tell you in broken English that it’s only borsch if a spoon can stand in it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TipTow posted:

What did the U.S., France, Turkey, et al. gain from the Baltics joining?
Disco Elysium.
Skype.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I wanted to ask what they were. Now I really want to know.
Potato zeppelins

It's actually not that bad, just really heavy. And I had some other similar dish stuffed with pig ears (or just skin???), forgot its name. That one was worse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Consider being very delicate with your commentary on how much of a borsch’s volume should be taken up by vegetables. Otherwise you’ll wake up to 50 people from Ukrainian territorial defence forces trying to tell you in broken English that it’s only borsch if a spoon can stand in it.

Is there any other kind of borscht?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Dwesa posted:

Potato zeppelins

It's actually not that bad, just really heavy. And I had some other similar dish stuffed with pig ears (or just skin???), forgot its name. That one was worse.

by "not that bad" surely you mean "best food ever"

though yeah it's kinda heavy, and also quite heavily-dependand on the quality of ingridients and the cooking process. some cepelinai (usually of the "school cafeteria, all actual meat stolen by the manager of school cafeteria" variety) can be pretty vile, i'll give you that

i cannot attest to anything stuffed with pig ears, but pig ears on their own is a pro choice as an appetizer to go with beer

also, idk why borsht gets this weird reputation as some crazy special sacred EE food - it's just a soup, really. there are far more Interesting soups available in the region (eg my personal favourite, the mighty flaczki)

nurmie fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 27, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there any other kind of borscht?

Majority of ex-USSR prefers a fairly runny borsch. Ukrainian borsch, in comparison, can be denser than half of the stews I've tried.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

nurmie posted:

also, idk why borsht gets this weird reputation as some crazy special sacred EE food -

It has a funny name that’s easy to remember and sounds like the Swedish chefs “Bork Bork Bork”

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grouchio posted:

Disco Elysium.
Skype.
Disco Elysium is worth a world war.

Dwesa posted:

Potato zeppelins

Must admit I'm somewhere between intrigued and disgusted after having looked at some pictures on google. I'm most suspicious of the stuffing, but replacing it with pig ears or skin seems infinitely worse than the pictures I found.

nurmie posted:

also, idk why borsht gets this weird reputation as some crazy special sacred EE food - it's just a soup, really. there are far more Interesting soups available in the region (eg my personal favourite, the mighty flaczki)
It has a name that's sufficiently foreign but also pronounceable to English-speakers. Also a very distinctive dish, where the one you linked just looks like a random soup.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Paladinus posted:

I think many people in this thread kind of ignore that though Russia's demands are treated as a precondition for not invading Ukraine, Russia doesn't actually even hint to that. Because even without hinting to it, Russian rouble is in free fall despite growing oil prices.

Today, after getting a written response from US, Russian Foreign Affairs Ministry again highlighted that Russia 'sees the very thought of a war with Ukraine as unconscionable'.

Second amphibious group passed Gibraltar about 4 hours ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

I think many people in this thread kind of ignore that though Russia's demands are treated as a precondition for not invading Ukraine, Russia doesn't actually even hint to that. Because even without hinting to it, Russian rouble is in free fall despite growing oil prices.

Today, after getting a written response from US, Russian Foreign Affairs Ministry again highlighted that Russia 'sees the very thought of a war with Ukraine as unconscionable'.

There is multiple divisions now stationed on the border with 150k minimum soldiers, and amphibious fleet approaching Ukraine. What they say and what they are doing does not align.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

With Russian maskirovka doctrine you shouldn't put it past them to launch the attack in the loving middle of a meeting.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Conspiratiorist posted:

With Russian maskirovka doctrine you shouldn't put it past them to launch the attack in the loving middle of a meeting.

Yeah because literally all the armies and satellite watchers and border guards will be too busy at the meeting to notice the Russians sneaking in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

"Only a person with no conscience at all would invade Ukraine!"
*winks at camera*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CommieGIR posted:

There is multiple divisions now stationed on the border with 150k minimum soldiers, and amphibious fleet approaching Ukraine. What they say and what they are doing does not align.

They are not doing anything they haven't done before, and the goal is not an open invasion.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah because literally all the armies and satellite watchers and border guards will be too busy at the meeting to notice the Russians sneaking in.

Correct. Nobody would suspect a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Paladinus posted:

They are not doing anything they haven't done before, and the goal is not an open invasion.

I think Russia's preferences for how this would play out were, from best to worst, intimidating Ukraine and/or the West into making major concessions, some kind of actual incursion into the east (whether to occupy more territory or to extract concessions) if they can do so without crippling consequences, and then where we are now where they seem to have to decide between an incursion in the face of potentially crippling consequences vs backing down without getting much of anything. Right now Russia's either engaging in misdirection while planning to invade, or basically searching for a face saving way to back down, and I don't think anyone really knows which one they're doing.

Unless the four party talks with Germany, France and Ukraine make any progress, right now it looks like rather than extracting any concessions, Putin only succeeded in spurring the West to provide Ukraine with more military assistance, even if much of it is token. It's still hard to see how backing down wouldn't embolden the West to feel like they can continue to increase that level of cooperation over time faster than they would have done if Russia didn't create a crisis atmosphere only to blink though, which is why I have a hard time seeing how Russia backs down without getting something.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 27, 2022