Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty | Location:

My grandmother, it... she was amazing. I almost didn't believe it when she contacted me, and said who she was and that we needed to talk. I hadn't ever seen her for even a second of my life, and she just dropped out of nowhere as everything went to poo poo, and just... it was a little overwhelming. She uh, she looked good, for how old she was, I mean I didn't ask about it but I assume due to the same focusing of inner energy my mom used to do... but we didn't have any time to even get to know each other, because it turned out that I just got contacted by her so that she could give me a good old fashioned exposition dump, and explain some of the secrets of what was going on in the world.

So basically - Cerberus is partly behind the attack, or at least, a branch of them is partially behind the attack. The main branch is uh, a secret international syndicate of very, very high powered players of the Super world. Commerce, government, research, covert ops, they have people everywhere, doing everything. They're lead by the Great Crimson Dragon, Keahi the Eternal, a creature that my Grandmother had been tracking for many, many years - an actual-loving-dragon who claims to be the last of the ancient ones. He founded Cerberus with the goal of wiping out the 'normal' humans, seeing Supers as a return of the great magical world he was born into, that he watched die. This organization is estimated to be at the level of a world power, and lower estimates from experts claim to have they possess same world shaping power as the US' entire nuclear arsenal.

Apparently the US' response to Cerberus' claims that they would topple the unnatural, powerless world was to create a new program - the GEMM program, one meant to turn regular humans into supersoldiers, capable of fighting on par with Cerberus' members. All well and good, except for the fact that it was a black ops secret program that ran by kidnapping kids, and forcing them into inhumane deadly testing, where most of them would die before they got anything, and even those who got powers would usually die to perfect a single one. This, according to my grandmother, meant that this program was raising people now my age or younger who hated everyone, who only knew to be weapons.

And then things happened, she didn't have the specifics, but the lab was disrupted, someone escaped. This brought attention to the secretive lab, attention from Cerberus, who was waiting for a find to where this program was. And that's where this all goes to poo poo - Keahi apparently went alone to the lab in human form, and killed every researcher in the building with his bare hands, allowing himself to be recorded on hundreds of cameras. Every member of staff was dead, their families dying in the next weeks, an organized strike that killed hundreds. And what he gained was the GEMMs, the young adults and kids who were raised to hate, and destroy, who craved revenge on the government that made them, ruined them - who viewed him as a savior.

And... they're behind the attacks, them and other powered children that The Eternal 'saved' from those who would treat them wrong for being different. Fanatics who call him their Father, who are given basically limitless resources, and directed by older Cerberus members with too many grudges from the past, told to do what they want with their powers otherwise, since they are strong, worthy, special.

Oh, and my grandmother saved the best part of all of this for last: Keahi the Eternal... is also my actual father.


Its been two months since I met grandma, she went back out to try and stop Cerberus' movements as much as she could, so I didn't even see her past that first time. So I've had weeks to sit, and wait, and think about it - unlike most of my team and a lot of the school, I got out of the fight without more than a few little scratches that healed within the week. Even diving back in to grab my fallen teammates didn't get me hurt, as everything rocked around me.

So I've had a lot of time to sit around, and think about things. To dwell on the truths I got told, and what was going on. To dwell on my own failures. To dwell on what everyone blamed me for. I wasn't even with the rest of the group now, instead choosing to inhabit a tree, silently watching them gathering from within the branches. I hadn't told them anything about meeting my grandma, or Cerberus, or this GEMM thing, I... I hadn't really talked to most of them at all. It was my fault everything went so terribly, and so many of them probably hated me. They deserved to have a chance to be with the people who they liked on the team, I could just... be separate, until I was needed. As usual.

Sure, I wanted to be like 'oh my gosh, you built a ship!?' to Shodan, but last time I talked to her I was - well, I dunno if talking to someone collapsed in your arms while you carry them out of an explosion counts, so last time we actually talked I accused her of trying to hurt innocent people, and really screwed up. I was so glad Avatar was okay, but she was so mad at me that day, I just couldn't face her with how mad she was - I didn't want to fight with her about it, so I... avoided it. And I left Jewels down there, when I should have found a way to save her too...

I also switched out the changed Legacy move for 'Team? What Team?"

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at May 26, 2016 around 05:14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 0/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Burn 2

It's been a long three months indeed... After my desperate bluster to Bravura, I couldn't save Ms. Doring, didn't even get close to her before she was kidnapped. One chance at redemption, and I blew it - or well, 'blew it' implies spectacular failure, not just dismal and unseen failure. Thankfully, I've had something else to occupy my attention over the past three months.

I've been holed up in the Shipwreck. I could have gone back 'home' with my parents, but the Shipwreck's safer, and besides... while we were all occupied with the chaos at Ms. Doring's school, there was a 'present' left by the Shipwreck. It was hidden, but nothing that the sensors couldn't locate. ...I almost wish they hadn't been able to locate it.

The Archivist clearly wasn't dead after all, just like Jewels had thought, because he left a quantum hard drive with research he had done about the Myriad, and it's... troubling, whether it's true or not. Because it might mean I can live through all of this, that the Myriad won't just inevitably overwrite my mind and use my body as a shell - that I might not be doomed after all, and I have to say, choosing between living with these powers and dying with them is an absolute no-brainer.

But that would first of all mean the Myriad were lying to me, or deliberately omitted to tell me of that possibility for some reason. They're not even protesting their innocence, just gone radio-silent, which hardly fills me with confidence.

Secondly, there's the Archivist's motives to take into account. Why would he give me this? I certainly don't trust that it was out of the goodness of his own heart, he wants me to do something for his own gain, be a guinea pig for some experiment - which partly makes me want to not do it out of spite... which brings me neatly to the third problem.

Namely, that according to his research, the way to guarantee I live on with this is to go to the edge, the very brink of letting Singularity take control, and then pulling myself back, after I put one foot in the grave. I'm sure I don't need to explain to anyone why that is a terrifying route, with zero guarantee I'll actually be able to pull myself back. Naturally, of course, Singularity is egging me on, because it's so confident I can't.

The only conversations I've had for three months are with the supercomputer and the Singularity... which is pathetic and not great for my mental health or stability, but what else am I going to do? Contact Jewels or Shodan just to tell them I'd like to hear the sound of a human voice? They'd probably take it upon themselves to come and try to 'rescue' me from the Shipwreck, and I can't let that happen, either, or let them find out about this research.

There is one other important thing I've been doing the past three months. It hasn't all been just about me. Ms. Doring is gone, but she's not dead. I've put the supercomputer to work trying to find out where exactly she is, and how we can save her. The fact that I have no leads to go on doesn't matter, this thing will crunch through absurd numbers of possibilities and contingencies (seriously, enough possibilities that it's taken 90 days to filter through them) and narrow them down to the most plausible potential answers, and one of those has to be correct, right? Anyway, it should contact me remotely through my connection with the Myriad when it has an answer for me.
Using the Resources of my Sanctuary to ask "Where is Ms. Doring; how can we save her? GM can pick between one and four conditions from the move in the Doomed playbook to answer that question with.

--
When I do arrive at the school gates, my gaze lingers on Bravura and Jewels. Honestly... they look happy together, and I've ruined enough friendships already... but I need to get closer to Singularity, and that means doing what it wanted - asserting myself and what I want. Even if I know it's the wrong thing to do. So I head straight for them. "Jewels! How have you been? You look well." I hesitate, then give her a quick hug!

EDIT:

[12:46pm] Nown: Provoking Jewels to be intimate/friendly with Avatar
[12:46pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[12:46pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 6+2 = 8

If Jewels chooses not to do this, she marks a condition

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at May 14, 2016 around 21:45

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


Dragon

The comic panel shows the image of you, Dragon, sitting in the tree. The view is from the front, with a clear shot of the trees behind you.

"...you really shouldn't let other peoples opinion bother you."

The next panel shows you looking over your shoulder, your face stunned as a pair of eyes are seen, no doubt belonging to the speaker. "People will always have opinions. They are almost always wrong. That is why I taught Seraphim to observe her surroundings constantly. You can't trust anyone these days.

Taught Seraphim? Wait... that means this guy is...



Archangel

...and it sounds like he is trying to tell you about how people are and how to ignore them. Do you agree? If so, +1 Freak, -1 Mundane. Otherwise, reject that influence.

Sylphid

...is that your phone? Yeah, that is definitely your phone! And it's your mom...

The panel shows your look of concern mixed with annoyance. You kind of want to ignore it... but can you afford to?

You answer it.

"Hello, yeah it's me! Look, I wanted to say something to you and I know I should've said something before you left but... I kind ofwas nervous about bringing up the subject..."

"...SHE'S NOT YOUR REAL MOM!"

"CLARA!"

A sound of giggling and your mother admonishing Clara is heard, though it's muffled. our mother must be covering the phone with her hand.

"...anyway... as you know, I talked to Ms. Doring before... the incident. Look, I'm concerned for you... but I don't want to be controlling. It's just... I've made mistakes when I was Sylphid and your age. I misjudged people, made bad decisions, used my powers wrong... people died. It's a horrible feeling. A feeling I don't EVER want you to feel. I want you to feel proud. The way I felt when I got the hang of things. Seeing a mother's smile when I emerged out of a burning building, her infant still alive. The relief of a husband, when I pull his wife, body intact, from a wreckage. The joys of helping others inspite of myself. Inspite what others may feel about me. Dear, I'm sure Shodan is a nice person, but... she's 'troubled' and..."

Hesitation, followed by a breath.

"...I understand you are your own person. Ms. Doring told me this. She said that you have a wonderful personality and a good head on your shoulders. She also told me that some of the others are giving you undue pressure... look, all I'm saying is that I love you, and I trust you, and that I believe, that when the time comes, you will be the heroine that I once aspired to be. You may not believe it now, but I know you're destined to defeat Blue Empress!"

"She is!"

Hesitation. "...see? Clara peeled herself away from Street Fighter 5 to relay that. There is some truth behind it!"

Another pause. "...Ms. Doring also told me, rather bluntly that I talk waaaaay too much and that I should let you breathe sometimes. Do you have anything to say to me?"

And it seems that your mom feels that you have the ability to be a hero and to deny yourself and the opinions of others to do so. Obviously, she likes Shodan... but just as obviously, she sees Shodan's... troublemaking tendencies. She is cautious of her and might be disapproving of the growing friendship between you two. How do you feel about this advice, pumping the breaks of this comraderie? Agree? +1 Savior/-1 Mundane (and I expect you to follow through on it). Disagree, reject the influence.

And yes, the line is still open.

Shodan

quote:

"What'd you all do over your summer vacations?"

"Don't have one... so I can't answer. Sorry!"



That cheery voice belongs to Alexandra Lovelace, who greets you with a smile, before looking up with astonishment. "Castle have developed things more advanced than this... but you say you built this? While you were hurt AND in someone elses care!?"

She looks back down at you. "Shodan, that is incredible! Ican imagine what you will come up with if you had decent equipment. By the way, 'never' say you built the coolest thing ever. In my opinion, you've built the coolest thing ever so far! You're still young, you know."

She types something on her data pad. "I have your new lab up and ready to go if you want to have a peek. It may not be perfect, but there is always room for improvement."

She looks back up to the ship. "...wow she looks gorgeous! Your parents must be proud... OH! Your parents! They were a bit concerned about your lack of contact. They called the school, learned of it's closing, and now they are requesting to come down here. I already made arrangements... I mean nothing is tighter than family, right? You probably miss them!"

Nothing is tighter than family? You agree to that Shodan? I mean, you hung around with Sylphid's mom, sister and Clara (who might as well be her little sister as well). How do you feel about that? Do you agree that blood is thicker than water? Do you even want to think on it?

You 'could' do nothing and allow this arrangement to go on. That means you will confront your parents. A family who, for the lack of a better term, is beneath your intelligence. It is what it is. That would also mean +1 Mundane; -1 Superior. Otherwise, try to step in and stop this 'arrangement. And yes, that would count as a Rejection of influence.

Bravura

Three comic panels side by side. Your face. The hug. Jewels face. I'll leave it up to Jewels how her face is, but what does yours look like?

Anywho, as Avatar does what she does, to your astonishment, you feel someone hug you from behind!

*BAMF!*

"GWEEEEEEEEN!"

Warp. She blindside glomps you, before releasing you and patting your shoulder. "Oh my god, did I miss you and Gabi! I wanted to write, but first CASTLE didn't allow it... oh yeah! Castle kind of detained me to get info on those bastards that took Ms Doring... but yeah, I wanted to write you all... and then when I was cleared to... I realized I had no idea where you all were. I suck!"

She then pauses as she looks at the Huggathon between Avatar and Jewels. "...awww they look cute together!"

"...wait a second!"

Outstrider walks up now, punching Warp lighlty on the shoulder in greeting. "...Gwen, did you and Jewels break up?"

"Break-up?" Warp asks. "....oh wait! You mean you and Jewels!? I always thought it was Jewels and Avatar... I mean the way she looks at her..."

"Shut up, Warp."

"...I'm serious, not saying it's nothing wrong! Maybe she's just friends, but maybe she is making a..."

"Shut up, Warp..."

"Oh come on, aren't you even slightly curious that this may be a love triangle?"

"Goddamnit, Warp! Gwen is standing right next to you!"

"...oh yeah!"

Lack of situational awareness. One of Warp's critical weakness and why she's not first string. Anyway, Gwen, how do you feel about this... 'situation'?

...and I hate to do this, but your friends talking and Avatar's bold move... I think that warrents as you 'taking a powerful blow' to your psyche! Seem appropriate.

Avatar

Your computer finished it's analysis... but you have more important things to think on. For example, I think you're trying to Provoke Jewels, yes? Roll.

Jewels

Pending the results of that provoke roll, I must ask:

What movie is out? and maybe you should invite Amy. Just a thought.

thejoshie fucked around with this message at May 11, 2016 around 18:30

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 2 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry | Location: School Entrance

Sylphid creates a bit of distance from the other people (a bit for a superspeedster means a lot for a normal person) as the call comes up. While she chuckled at Clara's interruption, her mood quickly turned sour.

"... Thanks, I guess. But... What are you even trying to say? That I should just distance myself from her? Quite frankly, Mom, what are you thinking?! She pretty much saved my life from Blue Empress. She's the best bet I have to close the giant gap in power between me and Blue Empress. And even then. I know she has problems. But why, in heavens sake, should I leave her alone with those problems if that's the case? Have you forgotten what a hero is supposed to be about? People like us have to be there for them. Especially for people like her! She needs that angel on her shoulder! ... Ugh. At least you finally realized the anguish you were inflicting on me. But maybe you should think about your definition of a hero again before you start lecturing me again. ... Goodbye."

She says, hanging up, and throwing the phone at the floor... only in the last moment having the sense to NOT have it get smashed into pieces.


Reject Influence (Momphild): 2d6 9 Marking Potential by proving her wrong.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 16:03

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty | Location:

I hold my breath tight as I hear a voice behind me, turning suddenly, my claws bared - to see Archangel. Oh, I knew him before - my mother used to work with him (Writer Note: See 'Legacy of a Dragon, the brand new miniseries focused on the Dragons before our own Vermillion for these adventures and other adventures!), and I'd seen him a few times - in costume at least. Back when I was just the sickly kid my mom wanted to inspire, back before I killed her and became a monster. He was always... standoffish, and didn't care as much as the other heroes about how he was viewed. Results were what mattered, and my mom hated him - always said he was the worst kind of hero, since he didn't care about actually being an example for people.

I wanted to be an example for people, I wanted to be someone people who are different can look up to, someone who they can respect, and even find respect for themselves in. "O-of course I have to care what others think! I'm a hero... I have to do more than just... break things!" I tried to retort, but just looking at him made me remember my mom, made me feel sick to my stomach for what I'd caused. I wasn't good at being someone to look up to anyways, I was a failure every time I tried to do anything. I got Ms. Doring kidnapped, I let Sylphid and Shodan and Fission get hurt without my even being there, I abandoned Jewels... I wasn't anyone inspiring...

Rolled on phone to reject influence, got a 3, lmao

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid
Location: School Entrance

Are you kidding me?! I land a loving spaceship - one I built by goddamn hand out of busted up junk and scrap metal - on the school grounds, and not ONE of my teammates cares enough to come check it out!? Seriously? I'd be planning on giving everyone a ride in it, but no takers - I'm not "popular" or "liked" enough, because my classmates are all idiots. Guess I should just crash it into the loving school, people would at least pay some attention to me then...

Someone I've never met before speaks up before I have the chance however. From the looks of her (and her name-badge) it's obvious she's a Castle Goon, but she's actually managed to do a couple things right. For starters, she praises the Ragnarok Mk. 1 - and how difficult it was to build given the circumstances, along with mentioning that she's set a lab up for me! Which means obviously I'll need to scan and search the whole thing for bugs, tracers, and subroutines on the machinery - but also means I have a lab again! Sylphid's garage was a poor substitute for one, trust me.

I hop off the top of the ship, utilizing the anti-grav to float gently to the ground, since it's not like she's brought me nothing but good news, and I need to get a little bit closer to her for the plan I've just cooked up to work. See, she's invited my parents here... and I don't want them to show up. I didn't contact them for a host of reasons, but obviously the main one is because I don't want to see them. I have too much to do here to waste time letting them worry over me, and acting all impressed by inventions of mine that I know they don't fully grasp, and wanting to go on nature walks and get me outside to "get some sunshine." Or hear about how badly I've hosed up my interactions with... uh, everyone but Sylphid? Or that I pretty much ruined Mary's life, nearly got the school destroyed, and that everyone here basically hates me...

"Thanks for all you've done for me," I begin atypically cheerfully, smiling in a way that hopefully seems wholly sincere. I mean... I'm not sure if I even actually have an earnest smile, but I'm attempting one. It probably just looks smug or creepy though, that's what people usually say I look like when I'm happy. Oh, and I'm slipping my hand into my pocket for some reason, pay no attention to that. "And I definitely can't wait to see my new lab - but first, you need to call my parents and tell them they can't come after all. I'll leave a voicemail if it reassures them, but I have more important things to do than waste my time on them."

(Rauri-phone) Rolling now, typing up in a bit: Reject Influence
(Rauri-phone) !r 2d6
(Krysmbot) Rauri-phone, 10 = 10
Clear a condition or mark potential by immediately acting to prove them wrong, Cancel their influence and take +1 forward against them.


Oh yeah, I've been hacking her datapad with the phone the hand I asked you to not pay any attention to is holding - because of course I am. Takes me three seconds longer than usual to do it too, which means she's pretty drat good at this sort of stuff. Lets see if she's got any interesting (and perhaps even relevant) secrets...

<Rauri> Unleashing Powers to Hack Lovelace's phone
<Rauri> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+2 = 8
<Rauri> er, datapad not phone, but otherwise cool
Extending senses to include any interesting looking files or messages on her datapad, it's temporary or unstable though~

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 12, 2016 around 02:33

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty

"Yeah, they were all going on about the illuminati or something stupid. Pretty bad luck they attacked right when Mary went all hairbrained." The politics of most of this stuff is a big mystery to me, honestly. Only thing those 'Misfits' I particularly care about is that A. they knew to taunt me about Juliet, and B. they kidnapped Ms. Doring. I give a bit of a shrug. "Ah, I've been fine. Grumpy though, would have been nice if we could have done hero stuff instead of a million interviews with CASTLE these months."

A movie about three vampires moving into a house? I have no idea what that'd be like, but I guess its a comedy? Who cares really, I'll be more focused on Bravura than the movie no matter what we watch. So I give her a smile and a soft hug. "Sounds great! What do you think, five o'clock?" Releasing her, I hear someone call my name so I turn around to see... "Avatar, hey!" I give my (former?) roommate a wave as she approaches. "Pretty good, where have you been these months? I haven't seen you in ages, you should have come to hang out." I return the hug happily, giving her a much tighter squeeze than Bravura got, given I know her body can handle it.

You know, when I think about it Avatar is pretty cute really. If I didn't have Bravura, she'd probably be my first choice on the team. Ah- that thought along with the gossip coming from Warp and Outstrider arrive in my head at the same time, and I hastily let Avatar go from the hug and step back, fake coughing a couple times. Then I look at the others. "Don't go reading into things that aren't there Warp, I'm with Gwen, we're going on a date tonight. Avatar and I are friends and roommates, there isn't anything else." I mean I think she's cute but she was just giving me a friendly hug, right? This is just Warp being a gossip, yeah? "Right Avatar?"

<godfish> defend Bravura
<godfish> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> godfish, 8+3 = 11
Taking influence over Bravura, yay!

GodFish fucked around with this message at May 15, 2016 around 04:28

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

Gwen's watching Jewels and Avatar with a perfectly pleasant face. Eyes respectful, a slight smile. It would take a subtle eye to notice the creases of strain at the corners of her mouth.

"You? Grumpy? Never," Gwen teases, smirking, bemused, at Jewels.

"Five? Sure, we can..." Gwen starts fishing for her phone, a fish that never gets to finish out. Warp appears suddenly and she yelps. "Warp!" Gwen shouts, almost like trying to get a cat in line. "Did we?" Gwen asks of Warp, slowly prying the girl off her. "Break...we're not together," Gwen protests. It's obvious Jewels has designs on her - a flattering and not unappealing thought, especially whenever being the human amongst the godlings gets to Gwen.

And Avatar had to ruin it. Gwen's stomach starts to knot, a bit of sweat beating at her forehead. Feels like opening night - as ready as you think you are, you're still nervous, still like the first time.

"We..." Gwen looks at Jewels.

Letting it hang dramatically while we clarify rules.

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


Dragon

"...a bulldozer is good at running things over and to take buildings down. You drive it in the Indianapolis 500, it'll get embarrassed."

Archangel stares at you. It's one of the most chilling experiances you have ever felt. "You have the ability to break things. Much better than other people. But if you insist on doing something more suited to Sylphid or Bravura... be my guest. I'm not your mommy and I'm not going to bend over backwards to stop you from being an idiot."

Ouch. Mark a condition.

"...on that note, you being an idiot... I hope you didn't believe that your tea time chat with your grandmother was a family re-union." His eyes narrow. "She gave you something, didn't she? What was it?"

She did give you something, didn't she? What was it? And what reason did she give you to convince you to keep that a secret?

...and do you lie to the scary as all heck Archangel? What do you do?

Shodan

This woman is 'boring'!

Her notepad is full of technical things, sure, but nothing earth shattering. Student rosters. Building data. Laundry lists. Money (wow, this school has ALOT of financial backing), text messages, call transcripts...

...'Call transcripts'? Hello!

It's heavily encrypted, and some bits and pieces are missing as some sort of countermeasure is taking effect. You need to read this fast...

Transcript posted:


Lovelace: Excuse me sir... did you say I'm going back?

???: Is there something wrong with your hearing, agent?

Lovelace: No sir, not at all, it's just that...

???: Ms. Doring's Valkyrie project has taken time, resources, and money to develop. On top of that, she deserves for her dream to be seen to it's fruition. The girls maybe rough around the edges, but they have potential. They took down Sciromancer. You did read that report, did you not?

Lovelace: I did, sir.

???: Doring has a history of dependability to <Garbage text> and to Castle. I trust her instincts. Still, considering your... unique connection with <garbage text>, I can understand your apprehension.

Lovelace: ...I didn't mean to suggest...

???: With <garbage text> no doubt thinking that she stopped the project in it's tracks, we can afford to ship you the school within the week.

[moment of silence]

???: What I'm trying to say, Agent Lovelace, is that things are starting to look up. Between the Valkyries and the Godmind project, we have been making positive strides toward shutting those bastards down. Dismissed.

[Another moment of silence.]

Lovelace: ...sir, about my request.

???: ...ah yes. And it came as a surprise to me. As you know, personal interaction with Sarah Washington is strictly prohibited. You should've known better than to ask.

Lovelace: Sir... I have a right! If you're going to force me to go...

???: What you have, is an order. And I'm not forcing anything. You're the best person for this job and you know it.

[Silence]

???: You care for these girls. I understand that, truely, I do. But don't let your feelings screw with your judgement. As long as the Valkyries remain active and successful, Capital Hill has less reasons to push the SHRA. If Godmind is to stay in our hands, the Valkyries must be successful. Besides, you are the only one who I can trust will do things for the good of the girls and not for the good of the country, Castle, me, or any other excuse that <garbage text> can weasel into.

Lovelace: ...<garbage text> deserves to know the truth about <garbage text>

???: ...no she don't. What <garbage text> deserves, <long garbage text> live her life free of <garbage text>. Why else would Doring <garbage text? Every member on this team has a secret they don't know about. What, you think it's a coincidence, the members of Valkyrie. They <garbage text>. Each and every one of them. Those secrets are kept for the safety of us. Of this nation. And themselves. It's up to us to pro-<CUT>

...and the data decay is too much now! What do you do to prevent your phone from decaying and getting counter hacked?

And what are your thoughts on what you just heard?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry | Location: School Entrance

Sylphid, having recovered from her outburst of anger a bit, bolts back to the school gates - stopping next to Shodan.

"Sorry, had to take a phone call. Family. Did I miss anything?"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 16:04

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty, Angry | Location:

Of course Grandma gave me something and I even had it on me... but I certainly wasn't going to yell to the world what it was. The heart-scale of my father, that which was closest to his most vulnerable part for so long, something gained in a battle she refused to tell me about, one that didn't end in his defeat... but I could feel it whenever I touched the scales, I could feel him inside it, how the magic was pulsating through it, the same feeling I had the day I awoke. Crimson red like my own scales, and unbreakable - how she removed it she wouldn't tell me, but according to her it was something she was leaving with me to safeguard. And I wasn't to tell anyone, no matter who they were - not my team, not Ms. Doring if we found her, not even her if she asked about it.

It almost burned against my chest where I kept it held, as if it felt the desire of someone else to take it from me. I could swear that everyone around me should be capable of feeling the heat within it - but there was no reaction from Archangel, there was no real heat, even as I felt it coursing my veins. But I opened my mouth, licking my lips, dry from the intimidation, "Yes, she did give me something... it was a necklace of my mother's, that used to be hers as well. She claimed it held a bit of my mother's chi... and that it would help teach me." It wasn't a complete lie - I did have a necklace of my mother's, though I never wore it for fear of breaking it, between my own strength and the battles I get into, "But like you said, I'm a bulldozer. how am I to wear jewelry?" I glare back, just a little, even as I lie - actually lie.

Archangel was such a mystery, and my glare was more than just anger - it was an excuse to stare, to study, while looking like I was just upset over something trivial.

Piercing the mask
18:30 KittyEmpress !r 2d6-1
18:30 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 10-1 = 9
Edit: This should actually be a 10, due to the condition he just gave me!
What are you really planning, ARchangel?
What would I have to do to get influence on you?
And what would you like me to do?

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at May 15, 2016 around 07:31

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School


"...We're giving it a shot," Gwen finally says, after a long, pregnant pause. "But this is the first time!" she emphasizes to Warp, before rumors get entirely out of control again.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:
Location: School Entrance

Uhhh, I just take the battery out of my phone? Takes like two seconds, which is only barely less time than it took me to read the whole transcript, and yeah you can't hack a machine that's not turned on without physical access to the device or a mutation or power of some sort. Not too worried for the time being about the device, in other words. No, instead I'm worried about CASTLE, and all these loving secrets they seem so deadset on keeping from me us.

I mean... so many things to try and puzzle out now! Like, who has Doring demonstrated loyalty to? Who is Lovelace connected to - is it Sarah Washington, and if not, who is she? Who thinks they stopped 'The Project' in its tracks - Blue Empress? What's the Godmind project, and why do I feel like I should be in charge of it? Who are 'those bastards' that CASTLE is up against? Why is Lovelace so keen to look out for us, and against who specifically? And what all secrets do they have on each of us, and have on me? It's a ton of new information to process, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Sylphid's back all of a sudden (gotta say, if I'm envious of anything about her, it's her super-speed) asking if she missed anything. Watching Lovelace with seeming disinterest as I lean back against The Ragnarok, I speak up first to explain what's going on "Nah, not really. Lovelace is with CASTLE, she's set-up a lab for me, we were about to go check it out. Isn't that right?" I'm asking for her input, but really it's not like her answer matters. I'm actually studying her, analyzing her, figuring out what makes her tick. If I'm going to get to the bottom of the mysteries around here, she seems a natural place to start.

<Rauree> Pierce Lovelace's Mask
<Rauree> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Rauree, 9 = 9 +1 from Sylphid's use of team = 10
<ShootaBoy> gj
<KittyEmpress> same result as dragon, high five
Asking "How could I gain Influence over you?", "What are you really planning for the Valkyries?", and "How could I get your character to reveal your secrets to me?"

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 15, 2016 around 21:07

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 0/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Burn 2

They're going on a date? Tonight? My chest clenches, and I feel cold, despite her hugging me back. I didn't know they were... already that close. And now they're all looking at me, expecting me to confirm that for Warp and Outstrider... My eyes flicker to each finally settling on Bravura, and I smile, even as all my self-preservation instincts are yelling at me to Abort Mission, to just back out and leave the two alone. "Well, I mean all three of us are going out tonight!" I say. "Read into that whatever you want to."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry | Location: School Entrance

I know that look on Shodan. It's when she's trying to analyze a person. We've been hanging out for a bit, so it's became pretty obvious to me. Might as well help her out, these CASTLE goons are waaaay too secretive for my liking anyway. Giving Shodan a knowing glance, I turn to Lovelace.

"Ms. Lovelace, is it? Nice to meet you. I'm Sylphid, Team 1's leader. I assume you knew that already, just making sure." Sylphid greets the woman, extending her hand for a handshake. "I would like to thank you for your generosity during the last three months. Glad the incident with Agent Foster didn't spoil the relations."


Spending a Team to bump Shodan's roll to a 10 by extending the conversation for Shodan to analyze.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 16:04

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty

"Right." That's cleared that up-"what?" No, I'm going with Bravura! That was the whole point, to not be stuck with a bunch of other people! I'm about to say that, but it seems sort of like a bad move if we're still going to be roommates and on the same team and all that.. Even if it was way ruder for her to just invite herself along to our date herself. Was she trying to hook up with both of us? My mind drifts in that direction for a moment before I jerk it hastily away from a mental picture of the three of us cuddled up and making out together. Bravura. Focus on Bravura. "uh..." I turn to look at her, to see what she has to say about this. "...are we?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

Jewels' face gets confused. What *is* she thinking about? Jewels is clearly prompting, looking for Gwen to defuse this awkwardness.

"I said it before all the...school exploding stuff," Gwen says, "The whole team should hang out more. I feel I don't know most of you well. We should put together something proper. Team A versus Team B ping-ping competition, or a trip to the theater," Gwen suggests. "If you have ideas, Amy, we could get together a...committee or something tomorrow, figure out something good that'd appeal to everybody."

Gwen hopes that will be enough to deflect. Was she too obvious about it? It's a no, but...Avatar's trying to horn in and Gwen's not about to acquiesce to that.
Provoke Avatar: 2d6+2 5

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 0/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Burn 2

"That's a good idea, Bravura," I say to her. "For tomorrow, at least." Now, this part I don't feel the slightest bit bad about. Getting between Jewels and Bravura's... relationship gives me a twinge of guilt, even if this is for the greater good. Standing up to someone who has no business 'leading' a team - well, that just feels right, without anything else needed. "So - how have you guys spent your time since the attack?" I make no move away from Jewels, not budging an inch, as I ask that.

Also TheJoshie, GM ruling - is Avatar doing this whole 'get close to Singularity so I can pull back at the last moment and un-Doom myself' plan enough to clear Insecure? I assume it is, but just want to check with you :V

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Wasn't exactly the kind of settling of this I was hoping for Bravura, but alright... "Right, tomorrow. That'll be fun." I nod a couple times, smiling. "But Gwen and I are going to see a movie tonight." I take a step over to Bravura and slip an arm around her back, pulling her up against my side. Now lets change the subject. There's been something sort of nagging at me for a bit now...

"Hey Shodan!" I raise my voice loud enough to carry over to where she's standing talk to Sylphid and some CASTLE looking person a bit away from here. "That your ship? Looks awesome!" Come on Shodan, come over here, lets talk about your ship now or something!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

Awk...ward. The weirdness seeps across Gwen's face, which crinkles in response. Her lips curl in and she shifts her weight, and then...Jewels is summoning and calling out.

"That's *Shodan's*?" Gwen asks in genuine surprise. With a brief look at Jewels, she strides off towards the other half of her team. If Avatar wants to be weird...she can do it on her own time.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:
Location: School Entrance

I think I've seen enough of Lovelace to have some clues to work with. While she chats with Sylphid and I deduce exactly what everything I heard, saw, observed, what all of it means, I might as well do something that doesn't require much brainpower, so I guess I'll talk to my teammates. The ones that suddenly give a massive poo poo about the ship that landed on the yard forty eight (thanks brain) seconds ago, for some totally obvious reasons, namely they either need me for something or they're mind-controlled.

Looks like Avatar, Bravura, Jewels, Warp, and Outstrider might be interested in it. It's, well... I like two of those people, so by group standards its a wildly successful composition compared to most. Then again they also ignored me earlier, when I landed the drat thing and did the introduction I'd rehearsed. Am I the type of person to hold something like that against them?

Yup.

Adjusting my complicated but stylish hair real quick while crossing my arms, all the while looking from person to person like they're unfamiliar with the concept of spaceships, guess it's time for speech number two. "Yeah, it's amazing alright," I declare to all of them. "The Ragnarok Mk. 1. It's actually made from ninety-eight point nine percent components from the ruins of the school and my old lab." Thanks to my recent spinal-graft and a few previous procedures I'd done, that's also roughly how human I am compared to cyborg. Just a coincidence though.

I look at Jewels and Avatar for this next bit, not at all mad at either of them - by which I mean I'm obviously pretty loving mad. "I built it after I got out of the hospital two months ago." The one that none of my teammates visited me in but Sylphid and her family. And while, objectively, Avatar is not all that impressed with me at the moment... I thought Jewels and me were cool. It's definitely bugged me she never showed up. "Ah well, at least I built this awesome ship right?" I look towards Jewels specifically now, figuring I can get her to offer praise the most readily.

<Rauri> Provoke Jewels
<ShootaBoy> poo poo has kept me from it for almost a week
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 3+3 = 6
Delicious potential.

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 17, 2016 around 07:18

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


Sorry for the lateness! Here we go!

Mask Piercings
Shodan

How to gain influence
She already has a liking towards you, it seems, Shodan... but you also have a habit of rubbing people the wrong way. You can tell, by the way you brushed off the subject of 'family' that she was just rubbed the wrong way. The slight frown on her face, as she silently type on her notepad proves that.
'Family' may either be a sore spot or motivation. You could work on her there.

What is she really planning for the Valkyries?
...you don't read deciet. She's not talking like an rear end in a top hat, like Foster. Her Uniform is a uniform and not 'Gestapo', like Foster (or anyone else who wants to lord over what their position is, she looked you dead in the eyes while you decieved her to not notice your hacking, and most importantly, her smile was genuine.
You would know, you throw around fake smiles all the time. Except when you make things that are awesome and show them off.
And that is the most telling thing... she looks genuinly intreiged with the Ragnarok.
While The people she works for (who knows, it may not be Castle), may not be trustworthy, you're getting a good vibe from her. It's almost as if she is trying to be a mother. Or maybe a guardian angel. To that end, it may seem that her short term plan is to get them to trust her...

How could I get her to reveal her secrets to me
That's the real trick, isn't it? Well, there are two paths you could take:
Option A: She seems to want you all to like her. You could become a go between. Become a 'Teacher's pet' of sorts. You already got one foot in with how she is wowwed by your ship. You could finish her off by offering some sort of service to 'prove' you're on her side. That you trust her (even if you don't, after all, you could still 'lie'). Of course, this would also mean allowing her to get close to you. So this is the easiest, but it is also the one that makes you the most vulnerable.
Option B: Wait. Yeah, wait. She may get back in contact with whomever she was talking to on that transcript that she was supposed to delete. Bid your time, wait for them to communicate and boom. This is risky, though, since they already know about 'you'. This means you're going to need help, maybe even outside help. Plus, if you are caught, it could put you AND the Valkyries in serious trouble... especially if she doesn't represent Castle.
Dragon
What are you really planning Archangel?
Looks can be decieving. At a glance, he's looking like he is after your Grandmother, and really, there is nothing to disprove that.
But... if he really didn't care if you're acting like an 'idiot', then why bring it up? It's almost similar to the 'Parental contradiction' when they say they want you to be independent, but has a problem when you choose to do something they have a problem with.
If you didn't know any better... you think he may be testing if he can trust you for something... perhaps to replace the fallen Seraphim as his protege?

What would I have to do to get influence

Welp, you blew your first chance by lieing. But maybe if you meet him again (more on that below), you could be a bit more truthful. And maybe a bit less worried about being 'nice' in your heroics.

What would you like me to do?

Point blank?

Replace Seraphim. And perhaps help him find your Grandmother.

-----And now for the prompts-----

Sylphid, Jewels, Avatar, Bravura

Sylphid, the handshake you recieved is firm and confident, and the eyes behind the wire framed glasses that look into yours are wide and pleasent. The smile adds to them. "Foster, for the lack of better terms, was an rear end in a top hat. He could've handled hings better than he did... but I shouldn't talk about the deceased like that..."

The deceased? Avatar, do you think this is a trick? Is Castle covering his death up? Or perhaps they _don't know_ he might be still alive?
If they don't know about it, then that means Archivist is running around unchecked! That's not good and you may want to speak up! Or not... cause then Lovelace, and by extension CASTLE, may want to know the source of your info... do you want them into your affairs? Avatar, what do you do?

Oh, and Singularity is standing right in front of you. Staring. Not a single word.

Just thought to let you know. No pressure, or anything.

Anyway, Lovelace releases your hand, Sylphid, and walks towards the others to gawk at the Ragnarok. She signals you to follow. "I am more than just a Liason, though that is my title. I'm also in charge of providing tactical info from Castle to you and Bravura. Though we have a lot to discuss about that. Bravura is penciled in as Leader of Team 2, but the Doring incident happened before it was finalized with Castle. Minor formality, but an important one. Unlike you, she isn't cleared to have certain access. A bit of a bother."

JEWELS! You hear that!? Maybe, just maybe, there is a chance to get into Lovelace's ear! You made a good impression before... so what do you say or do to put your name into consideration for leadership?

...what am I saying!? Forget about that! You wouldn't dare undercut Bravura like that?

...right?

What do you do, Jewels?

"So Sylphid... any ideas on how you wish to proceed in finding Doring's location? What do you need of Castle?"
Lovelace is looking at you Sylphid. What do you say?

Dragon

As the others gather around the huge ship that Shodan just flew in on... Warp, by pure chance, locks eyes with yours.

BAMF!

"Hey Lisa! Whay are you here? Waiting for someone?"

'Waiting'? You were talking to...

...no one, apparently. Archangel vanished like a ninja. How the heck does he do that!?

"...anyway! We are waiting on you and Fission! Have you seen her? Anyway, come on down!"

BAMF

...that girl goes a mile a minute, doesn't she?

Anyway, what do you do, Lisa?

Shodan

You got your read on Lovelace, so really nothing special to report on your front...



"...not good..."

"Time is running out for us... it's up to her now!"

"We can't just go there... and her parents nor Doring is answering our calls!"

"We have to call her!"

"...but they will find..."

"We have no choice! Do it!"

"...fine!"

...

...

...

...

Remember this? posted:

Uhhh, I just take the battery out of my phone? Takes like two seconds, which is only barely less time than it took me to read the whole transcript

"...I tried several times, I'm only getting an answer machine!"

"Leave a message!"

"But then it can be traced and found!"

...and with that... it ends, with two well placed sniper shots. The phone dropping onto a pool of blood.

-----

...so yeah, Shodan. Nothing to report on your front. And I must say, good job taking the battery out of your phone to stop the counterhack!

Brilliant! What are the odds that someone might be calling you at that instant?

Anyway... what now?

thejoshie fucked around with this message at May 17, 2016 around 22:41

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty, Angry | Location:

It's only been a few months, and he... he what, is already throwing Seraphim to the side, he already wants to get rid of her, and now he wants me? After he insulted me, and... it's really, really annoying, and I am pretty angry. I mean, how could I not be angry, Seraphim was my friend and he just... I get distracted from it though, as Warp uh, warps to me, with her usual high energy that is... honestly pretty endearing, especially with how bad a day I'd been having. At least, it makes me feel better until I whip around and see Archangel is just... gone. "Ah y-" She's already gone when I turn back to her, which just makes me laugh to myself, as I jump out of the tree, folding my wings around myself as a pseudo-robe as I walk down towards the rest of the team.

This was... awkward, I'd kinda avoided most of them, since last I saw Fission, Sylphid, and Shodan they were... basically all unconscious, and then in the hospital after that. And then Avatar probably hated me, judging from the last time we talked, which felt pretty terrible to me, because I kinda liked her and thought she was fun. Bravura... I.. I mean Bravura was just so normal I never knew what she thought of me, she probably looked at me and saw the weirdest thing. Jewels... I mean I don't think Jewels hated anyone, but I couldn't stand that I'd left her behind to get caught in that whole... explosion thing. I should have helped her too. I probably look pretty miserable, my mind split a thousand ways between my encounter with Archangel and... everything else.

Still, I should at least try, "Y-your uh, is that your ship, Shodan? It's... it's really cool." I mean, it was in fact really cool, who else did she know that could build what was basically a space ship, without like, huge amounts of government funding and entire teams of people and hundreds of factories? "You guys all look a lot better.." I actually was glancing around, trying to figure out where Fission could be... she was always kinda mysterious, and didn't stick around too long it seemed, but I was pretty sure everyone got out of the hospital... so she was at least alright. Then I finally looked over to Bravura, and kinda gave a smile, "Ah, and uh, congratulations, formally I guess."

I was avoiding the subject of what my grandma told me, I didn't even know how much to tell my team, or how much to keep hidden, it was just so hard to decide. I'd at least get the.. .formalities in meeting up back into action?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 2 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry | Location: School Entrance


"Well, first off, you should see that clearance problem dealt with, I suppose. But finding Ms. Doring is more important, right now. I'm going to be frank here - I don't think we can do that without CASTLE's help. I've already attempted some magical tracking methods, but it didn't work. Whoever those guys were, they used tech to portal around. I'm sure the other Valkyries have started some investigations on their own, but I didn't get notified of success yet. And honestly, we don't really have the technology or infrastructure to do so."

Now, Shodan seems curiously suspicious of her. How will Lovelace react to this, Sylphid wondered, as she studied Lovelace' body language when she replies.

Pierce the Mask: 2d6+1 8 What are you really planning?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 16:05

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 0/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Burn 2

There's no way the Archivist is dead. I'm certain of that... but also certain that I don't want an organization that willingly recruited him to have any place in my affairs. At best, they're incompetent, nosy, government bureaucrats. At worse, they're competent nosy government bureaucrats. Either way, I don't want them near me and especially not near my Sanctum. So the smartest thing for me to do would be to bite my tongue until Lovelace is gone. I have other things to worry about - while I'm still waiting on results from the Myriad's supercomputer, I'm also plotting how to insert myself into Jewels and Bravura's night out without making Jewels mad at me... and Shodan sends me a look which I puzzle to decipher for a few seconds, until she mentions 'hospital'. Oh... oh poo poo.

I'd put off visiting her in the days immediately after the attack because... well, I don't like hospitals. It comes with spending so much time in them on the non-visiting end. I needed time to steel myself to that, and then one thing led to another, and I got distracted with the Archivist, and searching for Ms. Doring, and... months passed and I didn't think about it once. So I look a little shamefaced when Shodan gives me that look. Should I try to explain? Would she care? Would I, if someone gave me that excuse?

Then I see Singularity, just staring at me. I stare back a moment, then look away hurriedly - the others would no doubt notice I was staring at 'nothing' and start asking questions! Why is she here? What's her aim? There's no way she's just a bystander, she never is. She wants me to do something; something that I'm not already doing, but what? ...Well, it doesn't matter. If she wants something, she'll have to tell me, and hope I'm in the mood for it.

In the meantime, I head over to Shodan. "So... long time, no see?" I say, awkward as the situation demands.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Gwen

Penciled in?

PENCILED IN!?

Gwen's misses a step and almost stumbles from that. She thought it was hers, in the bag! Miss Doring had seemed so confident, didn't say there'd be issues.

How to figure this? Maybe....

Gwen puts on a smile and moves somewhat closer to Sylphid. "If you can help us track that portal, our teams can handle it. You can rely on us," she says.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:
Location: Showing off her science fair project

While my team should have been fascinated by the Ragnarok long before they were, I'm going to take what I can get and reward their belated interested that I calculatedly guilted them into with an explanation - one that should also appeal to Lovelace, since I've confirmed she's actually interested in it.

Sometimes I bemoan not having cool fighty powers like my teammates, but you know what? Awesome ship behind me, everything I needed to know about our new Castle liaison deduced with a glance or two, dozens of new inventions lining my pockets... I wouldn't trade my mutation for anything.

Twirling my fingers real quick, I produce an intense laser pointer from up one of the sleeves of my trench-coat and aim it towards the ship, beginning to point out specific features. None of them would notice them without my help, obviously, and that knowledge definitely creeps into my tone of voice. "Two gun-turrets, boosters, drone hangers there and there, several escape pods, a bay door for combat use, shield generators scattered throughout, and I threw about three hundred terabytes of different forms of entertainment into the computers I hooked up - we can definitely have LAN parties while we fly to missions!" Glancing at Dragon and contemplating saying something really cutting, I save it for later and instead add "Oh, and you and Sylphid can fly out of it no trouble, since I want as many other targets in the sky as I can get - this thing is a bitch to repair, even for me."

Explanation over, I'm going to talk to Avatar, since she approached me directly, and maybe even seems kind of apologetic. "Three months, give or take a few hours." I grin at her, since I've just had a brilliant idea - by which I mean brilliant even by my standards! Especially with the Ragnarok on hand and a heaping of guilt, she'll have to recognize that I can handle whatever Nanontech the Singularity consists of. Just think how much I'll be able to upgrade my inventions when I'm able to miniaturize them even more than I have, when I make them self-repairing, maybe install more devices into myself in order to be able to telepathically control them... and maybe she'll actually let me now! Can you just imagine how much fun I'll be able to have with self-replicating explosives?

"Sooo Avatar," I begin, putting an arm around her shoulder. Dammit, all of my teammates actually have muscles. "Wanna let me examine some of your Nanomachines sometime, finally? Please?! It'll totally help me out, which means it helps the team out." It's almost as if I'm saying it in a tone of voice that implies I'll forgive her if she does...

<Rauri> Provoke Avatar
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9+3 = 12
<Rauri> yusss, getting closer to Weird Science
We get a team if Avatar says yes, she gets a condition if she refuses.

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 22, 2016 around 06:43

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 0+1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Burn 2

It is a very impressive ship, I may have completely underestimated Shodan's abilities if she was able to build something like that in the past three months... but I don't have time to think about that as she gets very close very quickly, and makes that request again. The one I've turned down more than once, except that now I feel like I owe her or something, like I've been stuck in a deficit and need to actively work towards rebalancing the scales...

I don't answer immediately, just glance at her, try to read her. What kind of examination? What does she have planned? ...But it's useless, I can't read anything from her expression.

[06:33am] Nown: Time for more Avatar Does Stupid Things
[06:33am] Nown: Piercing Shodanís Mask
[06:33am] Nown: !roll 2d6-2
[06:33am] Krysmbot: Nown, 6-2 = 4
[06:33am] Nown: delicious potential

"...Sure...?" I reply tentatively, shrugging my shoulders. I hate being indebted, and this will clear that up and then some. "What's the worst that could happen? So... when and where and how? Is it safe? I mean, I'm sure you'll try to be safe, but... yeah."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty


Shodan talks about her ship a bit, and then there was definitely a, oh poo poo whats the word? Implication? Sure, an implication at the end of her bit about getting out of the hospital. And she was looking at me. I shift my weight for a moment, feeling a bit awkward. "Sorry I didn't get a chance to visit you Shodan," 'I don't like hospitals', while true, wasn't likely to be taken at face value with me telling people why, which is a big fat no, so... "They kept me prettied tied up with police and CASTLE meetings and interviews about Ms. Doring and the attack and stuff..."

<godfish> hrmm I guess this is a comfort?
<godfish> comfort Shodan
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 6-1 = 5


Well I'm not sure she's listening anyway, she's going on about her ship more and now she's talking to Avatar about whatever. Got something more important than that anyway, considering what I just heard Lovelace say a couple feet away. I don't care what they think, the teams as is are not happening. No way I'm letting Bravura lead a team off into a fight without me there to make sure nothing too dangerous gets at her AND with Vermilion in position to attack her back if she decides to actually fight a supervillain again.

"Ah," I step forward into the conversation. "You probably didn't get updated on it because it was right before the attack, but Ms. Doring was meeting with me, Sylphid, Avatar and Shodan about the teams, and she decided to change the teams to be Me, Shodan, Avatar and Bravura on one team, and Sylphid, Seraphim, Fission and Vermilion on the other, lead by me and Sylphid." Well, I was extrapolating a bit from what she'd actually said, but it was definitely me leading a team with Bravura, and she'd kept me and Avatar rooming together, and Vermilion was going to be on the other team, so really the only thing I made up was that Shodan was coming along with me, which I did because she's cool and I like her better than Fission.

<godfish> provoke Lovelace
<godfish> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 5+1 = 6
Going to selfishly spend 1 team to raise Superior 1 and Savior down 1 - 7
should be obvious how trying to setup the teams how she wants is potentially insulting to the rest of the team~

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:
Location: Showing off her science fair project

Finally, people are giving me the attention I deserve! It's not quite as good as my Black Friday hack notoriety, but I'll take it - mostly since Avatar's on-board with my plans! That's like... you have NO idea how much I've thought about the Nanotech she has access to. I have a few limited ideas of how they work based on what she's told me, but to have the chance to run tests on them, likely add at least a few dozen advances to my own tech after sufficient time examining them? Of course she'll be there the whole time too, making things even better! Which, uh, I'll need her to make sure the machines are working properly, and maybe provide input. I wonder if she likes old Sci-Fi movies? I can probably show her my torrent collection, maybe she'll like that?

"Ideal!" I respond happily, grinning at my test subject dear friend. Not bothering to inform her what the worst thing that could happen is, I proceed past that cheerfully. "Of course it'll be safe, don't be so fussy. I'll let you know when and where after I've got my new lab setup, but you're definitely a priority - don't go getting yourself hurt between now and then, alright?" I don't want to delay my testing any more than it already has been with all the time I've spent convincing her after all!

Everyone's blathering about the team assignments and being so noisy about it! It's really quite distracting, and since I've got better things to think about, I'm not going to put up with it! "Given Seraphim's departure, two teams is a stupid idea," I inform everyone, as if they should've known that already. Crossing my arms, I roll my eyes whenever anyone makes eye contact with me, since it's time I lay a real truth on everyone and put an end to this stupidy.

"Lovelace, just throw everyone on one team, put Sylphid in charge, Bravura can be second in command 'cuz I guess we're going with Superpowered Affirmative Action, and the rest of us will be fine. My mutation's saying that's the best decision." It isn't, but no one can prove that.

<Rauri> Provoke Lovelace to put all of us on one team, trust me I've run the math on it already, it's the best decision
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+3 = 9

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 06:31

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 2 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry | Location: School Entrance

Sylphid gives a short wave to Vermillion... just before Jewels says about the dumbest thing she's heard in three months. Looking Jewels in a very clearly disappointed way, she chews her out:

"Jewels... I'm disappointed. If you want to be team leader, lying to get into the position is not a way to go about it. Especially not in front of the two other people other than Doring which were present. It just shows you're not up for the task in more way than one..." she very clearly corrects, making sure Lovelace can hear it, "No, it's Bravura that's been selected as leader for team two and that how it should stay."



Would this count as telling her who she is? (a dumb liar) if so, since I have influence over her, I'd change her stats to Superior -1 and Mundane +1.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Burn 2

"Oh, certainly," I reply drily. "I'll be sure to avoid getting injured for your sake. I'd hate to inconvenience your important plans over something as trivial as my health." I'm mostly joking, of course. Just deadpan enough to maybe (probably not) give her something to chew on. "Though luckily for both of us, I'm not that easy to hurt, either. Benefits of..." I flex an arm and a patch of skin turns black with nanomachines, like a plate of armour. Idly, I think that this can go both ways. I can study Shodan's lab while she's trying to study the Myriad. Maybe I'll find something that benefits me there? In any case I'm not going to just be some guinea pig, poked and prodded. Sure, I owe her, but that doesn't mean I'm just going to be a passive lab subject!

...and seriously, people are arguing about the team and leadership again? "For the record, having a 'leader' is still a stupid idea, and still nobody has shown that they're suited for it," I say, tone dipping into irritation. "It's a solution that doesn't work, for a problem that doesn't exist, that's all." I glare at Sylphid in particular. "Miss Doring was wrong then, and she's not here now. There's no reason for Bravura - or you to be leader of anything. All this... team and leader nonsense just gets in the way of us actually doing things."

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 22:26

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1
Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: Guilty

"Are you stupid Sylphid? If you actually remembered the conversation you'd know she didn't say anything about Bravura being one of the leaders, and there were three other people with Doring if you actually bothered to use your brain." I glance over at Avatar and nod. "I agree with Avatar on this, but as long as we're having leaders, we should pay attention to what Ms. Doring actually said, which wasn't what you're pretending."

Looking back at Sylphid, I give her a glare. "And I don't think you should be throwing any stones about leadership potential considering after the botch you made of it its obvious to everyone the only reason you have one of the spots is because of nepotism."

<godfish> reject Sylphid's influence
<godfish> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 9+1 = 10
Clearing Sylphid's influence, taking +1 against her
marking potential

and telling Sylphid how the world works, ie her getting her spot because of her mother and nothing to do with her actual talents
-1 superior +1 mundane

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

Shodan's rambling on about her ship. That's....nice. It does look pretty impressive, and I'm sure it'll be useful. I'm not really listening to her, though. The technical bits aren't of interest, and I'm more interest in what Jewels just said.

"That is so not true!" I blurt, stepping away from her and turning to face her at the same time. "Miss Doring has Mrs. Lewis evaluate me and everything! Why are you lying?"

<Platonicsolid> Rolling to provoke Jewels and call out her lying.
<Platonicsolid> !roll 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 9+1 = 10


My voice sounds more hurt than I intended. drat, why does this make me so upset?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior -1 | Superior +2 | Mundane -1
Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry

Goddammit! "I'm not lying!" I round on Bravura this time, glaring at her. Why did she have to interfere, I'm just trying to keep her safe! "Ms. Doring never said anything about making you a team leader when we were meeting with her, so if she told you that alone then she must have changed her mind! She did that a lot as well when we were meeting, but she said she was going to put me as the leader of the other team, but she needed me to balance out the original team, but then she decided to switch me for Seraphim!"

Taking Angry for not doing when Gwen wants here.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

I clench my hands and feel my breath drawing in. Jewels is making it up. I know she is. That's probably what she was up to the whole time, trying to sweeten me up to jump in line ahead of me.

Instead of going off on Jewels this instant I look at Shodan. "Must suck knowing you got everything handed to you," I shoot at her.

I'm shaking. "Screw you all," I snap, wheeling and heading towards the school. I'm assuming it's laid out the same, but either way, I'd rather wander the halls than stay with these jerks.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:
Location: Showing off her science fair project

Avatar and I have an agreement! She even teases me with the Nanomachines a little bit, and just that small sight sends my brain racing again. Think I noticed a pattern in how they deployed and I think I'm starting to figure out how the nerve relays work... but everyone's being so loving noisy, it's impossible to focus here. Grinning sarcastically at the group, I'd tell everyone to shut up so I can hear myself think, but they'd all just talk over me. Hmmm. I do have some new and improved flashbangs with me...

Watching everyone bicker like this, I'm really wishing I'd had enough time to configure my drones to fetch snacks from the ship - I'd love some popcorn right now.

Finally, when it tips from being mostly funny to mostly annoying - which is around the point when Bravura storms off because of what I said - I speak up. "Everyone realizes the Leadership position is like, some Whose Line Is It Anyways points-type poo poo, right? It doesn't loving matter?" It really, really doesn't take a super genius to figure that out, and maybe me pointing it out will distract everyone from paying attention to me having pissed Bravura off so badly, since she's popular or whatever.

Rauri fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 21:56

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Guilty, Angry | Location:

I just, I'm mostly stunned as what should be a good reuniting of the team becomes everyone bickering and yelling at Bravura, and making her feel bad for not having powers and wanting to help people. It's just like, wow, really, really jerkish. Everyone seems to want to be the leader, except they also just want to tear everyone else down, and it just pisses me off, it's just like Archangel wanting to tear me down so he could lead me to greatness. So when Bravura runs off, I just... finally let myself start talking, "Do you guys not realize how... how incredibly childish it is, to start a fight about who should or shouldn't be around? Do you somehow think that starting fights and insulting each other will get you seen as a better leader, instead of just a jerk?"

I am honestly tempted to punch Jewels, since I knew she could take it, but that would just be the dumbest of things, on par with them, "We already lost one person, we almost lost three of you to a collapsing building. And instead of being thankful for being alive and well we're what? Trying to hurt each other, trying to make each other quit, so we feel good? Why go out of your way to start fights? Just make amends so we can move past this childish spat and start doing important things. If leadership doesn't matter, then stop making a huge deal out of fighting over who should or shouldn't have it!"


Provoking Shodan
14:41 KittyEmpress !r 2d6-1
14:41 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 8-1 = 7
Make amends w/ Bravura to get xpees


Provoking Jewels
14:43 KittyEmpress !r 2d6-1
14:43 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 6-1 = 5

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at May 27, 2016 around 05:03

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 1+1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Burn 1

I can't help but roll my eyes when Bravura storms off. "I was there, what Jewels is saying is true. Didn't know it was so 'childish' for someone to not want to be thought of as a liar." I glance at Jewels, and smile. "Don't worry, I'm around to back you up, even when people want you to be wrong."

[4:16pm] Nown: Comfort/Support Jewels
[4:16pm] Nown: !roll 2d6-2
[4:16pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 3-2 = 1
[4:16pm] Nown: thatís more like it
Marking Potential

Then Dragon starts lecturing everyone, and I roll my eyes again. "Way to go, you step in to be the big hero when it doesn't matter anymore. Do us all a favour; go do something useful instead of demanding things of other people." I don't bother to hide how pissed off I am towards her specifically, right now.

[4:14pm] Nown: Shielding Shodan
[4:14pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[4:14pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 9+2 = 11
Vermilion takes -2 to her roll. It's now a failure! I spend 1 Burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +2 | Savior: +2 | Superior: -1 | Mundane: -1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry | Location:

I can't help but laugh, laugh in Avatar's face, and at the idiocy infront of me, "Do something useful? Me? Oh, you mean like pulling most of you out of a collapsing building, after you almost died away from everyone else? How about when I stopped you from trying to skewer Jewels on your arms, because your little toys decided to freak out? Or maybe how about I know who attacked us and kidnapped Ms. Doring, but no one cares what Lisa knows, no one cares about making plans, they just care about insulting each other and acting like they're oh so superior. No obviously she can't have anything important to say, just ignore her when she says hi. Obviously she's useless." I roll my eyes at her, and it takes all of my energy to not just punch her right there, "Because I'm sure trying to kill your teammates, and then defending them chasing off another is super useful to the team."

I unfold my wings, I don't even care who is around me, or if I might hit them with them. "You know what? You want to think your toys are so important, and people's feelings aren't? You want to act like this is fine? Then enjoy being the villains of this story. I don't need any of you to go find Doring. It's not like this is actually a team anyways."

gently caress it, Archangel was right - I shouldn't care what other people think. Other people are stupid. And if he wants to help me save Ms. Doring and fix this all, fine. I'll let him help me. I consider going to grab Bravura before I go, but it's not worth it, she'd just get hurt with me, more than emotionally. So I just let myself start flying.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 23:31

  • Locked thread
«8 »