Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +1| Savior: +1| Superior: -1 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: The Cage

I don't even have time to hear what Ms. Doring says, when the lights go black. And that's bad, worse here than other places, probably. See, most places you get ambient light, you get some starlight even at night, or the glow of a far away city, something at least. That's not true when you're twenty feet underground, and don't have any windows at all. I can't see a single thing in the pitch black darkness, but I know where Ms. Doring is at least, "Okay, don't worry. I'm sure it was just a uh, a grid failure." Oh yeah, obviously so, it'd obviously be a grid failure, not, you know, a result of some kind of supervillain attacking us at our base. That wouldn't be what was happening, nope, just a grid failure, Shodan pulling too much electricity to try and make something new in her room or something. Yep.

Okay, so I'm not exactly the calmest as I move towards the door, only barely tapping into Ms. Doring's wheelchair as I tried to navigate it in my head. The good thing about having no furniture really - not much to trip on. Looking out the door didn't shine any light on anything, "I... I should go check this out, Ms. Doring. Just... just in case."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Afraid, Angry

(Haven't changed my stats for this post since this is in response to Jewels' post from before end of issue)

"...thanks." I don't know what I expected her to say, but I didn't expect something so forthright! It almost makes me feel like I... do owe her something. Not in the bad way like before I became Avatar, where I was expected to feel grateful for people's insipid kindness, but... between the honest compliment and support and the fact that I am plotting to keep her and Bravura apart... So what do I owe her? More than just saying thanks, more than another meaningless gesture... Maybe I owe her the truth I've only told a few people so far? Yes - she's not someone I need to be afraid of, I don't need to be afraid at all! She's right, I did the right thing, and I'm bold enough to tell her the full reason why!

"...It wasn't just because he was a villain," I say. "That was part of it, sure, but he has something important that I need. I mean... He has-" and that's when the lights black out and the explosion hits!
Clearing Condition: Afraid

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010



Freak: 1| Danger: -1| Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Infirmary

I was just explaining what had happened when the power cut off. I mean I don't really know where Mary got the phone from and well I only have her word that it was Shodans and that Shodan stole it from the agent. But when the power went off everyone leapt into action. Mrs Louis included as she headed straight for the surface. I was left with a dilemma I could loot the supply cupboard and acquire a blood sample from Avatar. No one would know and it would help find out what was wrong with her maybe even help the world. But there were people in danger out there and I'd be abandoning them. I was supposed to be hero. I'm ashamed to admit it but I dithered. I didn't take the immediate and obvious choice. I didn't realise the truth.

I am a hero and hero's save people in danger. There are times when you have to forget about the greater good and start looking to help the people who need you. Perhaps if Gwen hadn't been there... But then I suspect she's a much better person than I am. She immediately rushed for the exit and I couldn't help but follow.
"I'm fine thanks," I replied "Ok then let's go." as we moved I said. "Do you suppose this is related to Scriomancers escape? He wouldn't come after us for revenge, would he?"more thinking aloud than expecting a response.

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


ISSUE 2: A Hairy Situation

Sylphid

Sylphid, it's dark to the point of not being able to see your hand in your face and something that feels... 'inky' is lifting you off the ground by the throat, squeezing with scary pressure.

You have enough air for a good minute... what do you do?

Shodan

Shodan, you aren't as tough as Sylphid... her 'minute' of air... for you, it's seconds. Though, this could also be due to the utter hatred that Mary have towards you...

Either way, it's dark and you're getting choked out... something needs to be done. As in, right now!

What do you do!?

Avatar & Jewels

It's now pitch black dark! You can't see a thing... but you 'do' hear a strange clambering in the vents above you! Hard to tell what, as you both have an obvious seeing problem.

What do the two of you do to remedy this sight problem? Avatar, what do you have the Myriad do? Jewels, you do have training on what to do in situations like this, right?

Bravura and Siraphim

Gwen, you handily break a nearby chair apart to make Escrima sticks, also you're in the medical wing as well, so there are some chemicals that could be weaponized as well. Anywho, once that is done, you both follow Ms. Lewis to the emergency ladders, where she works on opening the hatch with the help of an emergency flashlight.

"These Ladders lead to the emergency exit, with access to the classrooms and the dormitories. We need to help evacuating the kids upstairs... but we should also link you two up with the other Valkeries..."

...you all think you're so special...

Ms. Louis blinks. "...what was that?"

...I will humble you... I will kill you all... then you will have no choice but respect me...

Gabi! That voice in your head... It sounds like Mary!

It's here that you both watch in horror as the Hatch blows off and an explosion of hair wraps around Ms. Louis!

As the hair wraps around her throat, you both notice, thanks to the the flash light, a humanoid made of bluish hair step from the hatch.

...you told me that I shouldn't care what othhers say of me...

More hair lashes off her body towards Ms. Louis, ...that advice was useless... but NOW I feel empowered... now I feel respected...

She hasn't noticed the two of you. What do you do!?

Dragon

"That might be a good idea..." Ms. Doring answers as she took out her Cellphone. She pauses as she listens to messages that were left. "...Lisa, we need to find the others as quickly as possible..."

That's all you hear, as what feels like a giant fist rams into you from out of the darkness! It sends you sliding down the hallway!

Something is attacking you from the darkness! What do you do!?

Fission

You detect a very powerful surge of power... than... nothing. A blackout.

Still, you already have a sense of where the energy surge came from!

If you go towards it, it'll lead you to Shodan's Lab... but what will you do about the pitch blackness?

Oh, and her Lab's door is locked thanks to safety protocols. A lockdown. Anything you could do about that?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty

I perk up a little as Avatar responds, starting to tell me something abouuuuuuuut that was an explosion! I dive for the ground, instinctively aiming to pull Avatar down first to shield her from any blast. I know she can protect herself nearly as well as I can anyway, but I don't know if that's an instant sort of thing, and, its habit to try and protect people anyway! But there doesn't seem to be anything happening in our room, aside from the lights going off and what feels like several of my pillows falling on top of me.

"What the hell was that?" I mutter more to myself than to Avatar, though I certainly wouldn't mind if she had an answer, and slowly stand up, pulling my phone out and switching on the flashlight app. Yeah, a bunch of my pillows have been scattered around the room, but otherwise it looks fine, more or less. "somethings in the vents..." I stare up at the vent for a moment, thinking. Considering the explosion just happened, anything in it can't be something innocent, like say a student trying to get out of here. So I jump up, grabbing the hook I have my punching bag hanging from with one hand, I push the vent grating aside like soft butter with the other, and shine my flashlight inside.

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


Jewels

Before you get the chance to climb up, just as you shine the ceiling with your light towards the vent... and the vent cover is off already.

A sweep of the ceiling finds... teeth. The first thing you notice, the very first thing... is teeth. Lots of teeth. Even before the hair. What the heck is...

And that's when this... thing... leaps down at you, screeching like a banshee, tentacles lashing out from it's body that is very hairy, attempting to wrap around you... wait, it's made from hair!?

Either way, a humanoid like creature made from hair is trying to tackle you while attempting to smother you!

...little miss perfect... thinks she is sooo cool cause she can run faster and lift more... Who's superior now!?

Do you recognize Mary's voice? What do you remember about her? Why would she dislike you?

Oh... and what do you do!?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Afraid
Location: My Lab

Mark my words, I'm getting blamed for all of this.

This isn't great. Mary's gone all Supervillain Origin Story on us, damaged the Molecular Rearranger, and now she's trying to strangle me to death. Talk about oversensitive - I have been teased sooo much worse than she has, and I never freaked out this bad. There's no way I'm letting her get away with this tantrum, especially since it's loving with my lab - but yeah, point made, Mary and I are probably never going to get along.

Still, my brain's busily informing me how many seconds of consciousness I have left, the strengths of this weird hair-ooze??? she's controlling - and it's weaknesses. I can't see it properly to do a thorough (and automatic) analysis of its capabilities, but at least I've got an out for now. I may not have any physical powers, but you know what I do have? An overclocked brain. Oh, and tons of devices and gadgets I've built to counter the problems posed by my aforementioned lack of physical capabilities.

In this case, I'm talking about the Force-Shield unit I've built into my trenchcoat. As if Mary's the first person to try and strangle me, after all. "Mghgh," I comment while I tap my gloved fingers in a particular combination, causing the Force-Shield to suddenly activate. As it does, a translucent and glowing purple barrier springs up around me, blasting and holding Mary's intriguing hair back - and most importantly, giving me a chance to breathe for a second or two. Crisis averted.

<Rauri> Unleash Powers
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 7+1 = 8
Reshaping environment by putting Shodan inside a temporary force-field.


Unfortunately, my shield's a temporary thing, and by that I'm talking about a minute or so. It's buying me time right now, but it drains its battery waaaayyyyy faster than I wish it did - haven't had time to figure that design flaw out yet. So going to need to make use of the time it buys me to figure out my next couples moves - oh, and I guess help Sylphid, if she needs it, but she better not.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Mar 26, 2016 around 08:15

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.


Clapping Larry


Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Savior +3 | Superior 0 | Mundane 0 Masked
Potential 3/5 | Conditions: | The Inky Abyss!

The drainage pipe couldn't hold me any more than anything else could do, but in my current state, I was afraid that I was not going to be able to regain molecular cohesion, but this was more important self pity and putting myself down. There was only thing that I could do, I would have to buck up and try to make a difference. I clicked the side of my helmet and my eyes glowed an eerie red as my uv lights clicked on and my lenses brought it into a way I could actually see in the pitch black. I had always worked in the shadows in the dark, so I was prepared for the absolute darkness, also, uv radiation worked well with my form of quantum tunneling, don't ask me why, I don't know.

The metal surface of the pipe quickly told me they weren't there, so instead I ran through the wall toward the last position of the burst of energy. I run through the walls without even thinking of it, before going to the entrance of the lab. I hold my hand to the door and press through the door into the room. I seem to glow to briefly as I absorb some ambient energy and the mass of purplish hair seems to lurch at both Shodan behind a shield and I think our fearless leader. I gave a guttural scream, distorted by my voice modulator, as I leaped into the mess absorbing the energy that the mass was giving off.

I was taking all of its energy that it was wielding like a child having a tantrum, but that was something that I was very good at. I was practically pure energy but the science is too complicated for me to explain fully, either way, I could absorb more energy than a fusion reactor and maintain cohesion, I hoped that this thing didn't have more. I didn't want to find out what the consequences were to doing that.

Defend both from the monster!
2d6+3: 13 [2d6=5, 5]
Take Influence over Shodan! :P

Start of Session Roll: 2d6+0: 7 [2d6=4, 3]
Rolled with current mundane

Axe-man fucked around with this message at Mar 26, 2016 around 12:58

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry, Afraid | Location: Shodan's lovely lab

'You know, I might have pointed out how mature trying to murder someone over a few insults is. The problem is, I'm kind of being strangled right now. Got to focus on that, at the moment. I have an idea. It's not the best I've come up with, but you know, oxygen flow to the head is already failing all...' Sylphid thinks to herself.

"Arklance, Thoron... Roar... like... thunder..." she croaks out under the strain.

The appearance of the lance in her arm signified the success, thankfully. Following that is a huge surge of lightning coming from the weapon. It's pretty clearly being overcharged.

With a jab, she sticks the magical weapon directly into the mass of hair and unleashes the entire stored up power into it.

'gently caress this is gonna hurt... Sure hope this works...'


Directly Engaging: 2d6+2 9 Choosing "impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition."

Also,

Start of Session, Legacy roll: 2d6 7

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry

Almost as soon as the lights go out, I'm conferring with the Myriad to try to figure out what happened, where everyone is, who's attacking us, but that doesn't get far before I see the light of Jewels' phone snuffed out, engulfed by some flailing screeching thing. My left forearm is already shifting in shape, flatter, thinner, sharper, more blade than limb as I rush into the tangled melee! "Get off her!" I shout as I stab the thing, and almost immediately start trying to drain energy from it!

[5:59pm] Nown: Directly Engaging Mary
[5:59pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[5:59pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 11+2 = 13

Trading Blows; Taking Something (Vitality) from Mary; Creating an opportunity for Jewels!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty

Its... some kind of... teeth hair monster? I've fought some weird things since I got my powers - maybe not anything exactly this weird though - so it isn't that much of a concern. The real concern here is what the hell its doing inside our school/vents/MY ROOM! I have to curb my first instinctual reactions as it lunges at me, all of which would involve trashing our room, which leaves me dropping flat on to the floor through the entwining hair things at the same time as Avatar stabs at it.

"Its made of hair or something, try cutting it!" I shout out my advice to Avatar as I reach up from my position on the ground and grab two handfuls of hair, fairly close together, and pull hard, ripping the clump of hairs apart. Stabbing and punching a ball of hair doesn't seem very productive, after all!

<godfish> directly engage
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 4+2 = 6
I am unsure if the opportunity from Avatar's attack gives me a bonus or not? If yes, 7. If not, potential


That voice... and the hair... Is that hair-girl? Uh... Whatever her name was M.... Martha? Margret? M...Mary? But I'm pretty sure Mary didn't have telepathy or hair+tooth golem powers. At least she never mentioned it, and she really wanted to be on the team. She didn't seem insane either, so was this her? Hard to say. Honestly I thought her powers were pretty cool though. Before they were tooth-hair monster powers, anyway. Its about this point that it occurs to me that ripping off a bunch of hair from a remotely controlled hair golem might not be the best plan. Depending on how it was being controlled. Hmm.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

I look around and make a face. Hope Miss Doring doesn't get upset at me for cracking apart a chair. A few quick smashes and I've got some makeshift escrima sticks. Won't be as good with hem as a bow, but hey, you use what you have.

I duck behind a desks and gesture for Gabi to join me. I put my sticks down long enough to get out my phone and text.

@Valkyries posted:

Mary - hair girl - going crazy in Medical center. Super upset. TIME TO RIDE!

So need a better catchphrase. Still, they should get the idea.

Traveling, but wanted to get in a basic post. And Seraphim hasn't posted yet anyway.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +1| Savior: +1| Superior: -1 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: The Cage

I crouch down as I start to slide, my claws digging into the ground, slowing my skidding, keeping me from hitting the walls or flying too far. I can't see anything, but that wasn't a normal punch. That fist had to have been the size of my head, if not bigger. I was dealing with a super of some type, in the dark, which was never a good way to deal with anyone. But they were strong, that smarted, I shouldn't fight them alone. I'd hurt them, or they'd hurt me, and I'd hurt so much already. I couldn't even look around, but I knew that Ms. Doring was closer to whoever hit me than I was now - and that was bad. That was not acceptable, they could hurt her, kill her, I wouldn't let that happen, I wouldn't, I was strong enough to stop it.

So for the second time today, I performed my long jump, the halls to cramped for my wings, but this time I wasn't aiming for the floor. I wasn't aiming for the ceiling, the walls, I wasn't aiming to miss, as I directed my palm towards this mysterious attacker, giving a soft prayer that they'd not die when I hit them - even as I made sure that my claws would hopefully not stab them, "You're going to need to do more to beat the Child of Dragons!" I don't know why I even shouted it as I hit them, I just wanted to send them flying, make them have second thoughtso n fighting me, anything that would get us out of this.

Directly Engage
(KittyPhone) !r 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) KittyPhone, 9+1 = 10
Block their blows and impress, surprise, or frighten.


But a palm strike wasn't all I was planning to do, I needed to get this fight into somewhere with A. Light, and B. no Ms. Doring to worry about. If they didn't cut and run, I'd need to get us out of here. Above us was ten feet of solid dirt and concrete though, and bringing it down on us would probably kill Ms. Doring, even if I somehow survived it. So I had to get them to the stairs or the elevator.And I still couldn't see, so I had to figure it out from memory... while fighting something. Great.

Failing to assess situations.
15:23 KittyEmpress !r 2d6-1
15:23 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 6-1 = 5

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010



Freak: 1| Danger: -1| Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Infirmary

"poo poo!" I swore, This was the last thing I expected. Mary had apparently gone crazy and got a power up from somewhere. Oh well at this point I'm probably supposed to make some really clever pun about split ends or something like that. But I may be a hero but I'm not that kind of hero. I'm the kind that does what has to be done so that no one has to get hurt. I reached out instinctively for power and found it in Mary.

[00:20] Ferrosol directly engage
[00:20] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[00:20] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 9-1 = 8
taking something from them


Endless amounts how could she control it even trying draw on a fraction of it was taxing me. This was my first attempt to draw power from an enemy rather than friend but I didn't worry about that. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply and felt rather than saw my hair extend and reach for the tendrils encircling Mrs Lewis's neck. Focussing all my will through my hair (which was way weirder than I can put into words.) I felt my hair tangle with Mary's and begin some weird sort of tug of war and finally with an almighty heave ripped the tendrils from around Mrs Lewis's neck. "Mary stop this before innocents get hurt, you want to be respected to be liked? You don't get liked for hurting people who've done nothing wrong.." I yelled as I tried to battle the overwhelming power she was emitting where the heck had she got that kind of power. If it had been visible it would have been downright blinding...

00:31] Ferrosol provoking Mary
[00:31] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[00:31] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 8+2 = 10
trying to get Mary to back off and think for a minute

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


In no particular order:

Avatar & Jewels

Avatar, your attack strikes true, and while your 'stab' has no effect, the vitality sapping seems to be doing a number on it, causing the hair creature to screach in a blood curdling decibal! You feel a hairy tendril wrap around your arm just as you start to feel emotions enter your head...

Fear and confusion... it's afraid? Why? What is going on here...

You don't have time to ponder that as you are pulled mightily, used as an impromptu blunt object as you are slammed into Jewels, through the wall, and sent crashing through several more walls before ending in a random dorm room! These are reinforced walls you have just crashed through, so take a powerful blow. This monstrosity also has your curiosity, so it now has influence over you. Anywho, how do you recover?

Jewels, I don't care if you got distracted by Bravura's text, you had no business reacting as slow as you did! Now both you and Avatar are inside another room and you dropped your blasted cellphone. So no light. Great. Oh... and take a powerful blow!

By the way, this is Shodan's old room... just how far did that thing throw you two!? What awesome thing of Shodan's did you just land on and smashed into a dozen pieces?

Fission

This energy you are absorbing, sure, you can handle it's volume... but it's type is not what you are used too... you never felt it before and it causing a strange reaction...

You're beginning to feel hate. Anger.

Who are you angry at? Who do you want to incinerate to pieces?

And what do you do to fight this anger and get rid of this bad energy?

And speaking of energy... how do you avoid the power surge?

'...what power surge?' You ask? Well, Sylphid can answer that one...

Sylphid

Well, kind of over did it there, didn't you? Your Arklance explodes in a brilliant flash of energy and arcing thunder. A loud boom shakes the entire lab as a giant globe of energy sends you and the hair creature flying!

You soar across the lab, knocking over tables and equipment before slamining into a metal wall. Ow. Take a powerful blow.

Shodan

The hairs on the back of your head seems to rise and you get the feeling that something bad happened somewhere...

...CRAP! No time to ponder that premonition! Energy surge! Right in front of you! What do you do!


Dragon

Oh, you send it flying, alright! You get a brief glimpse of the 'thing' that attacked you just before you knocked it back into the darkness of the hallway. Teeth and hair. Oh my goodness, what 'is' that thing...

A scream catches your attention!

"Lisa! Don't worry about me! Find the other Valkyries! That's an ord-MMMPH!"

Ms. Doring! Crap!

That distraction is all the creature needs to wrap itself around you in a tangle of hair! Mark afraid, as fear grips you as to what ishappening to Ms. Doring.

So... what now, Dragon?

Gwen & Gabi

As you, Gwen send your text, you, Seraphim watches as the creature, seconds awar from pouncing on you, stops... looks...

...Gabi... Oh my God, what am I...ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

The creature screeches!

...NO! Kill... death... you're one of them! Die!

The creature does an unexpected move... it 'lets' you tug it towards you! And using the force of your pull it is now leaping at you with great velocity!

Seraphim, what do you do!

And for God sakes, Gwen! Help her!

thejoshie fucked around with this message at Mar 28, 2016 around 07:39

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Afraid
Location: My Lab

Yes! I may have not had time to throw on my googles - which would fix this darkness problem no trouble - but whatever Sylphid's done has produced a huge surge of both light and energy! My brain's fussing over her having literally created energy - thermodynamically impossible by the way - but it's also scanning Mary's power as it does. Between the two of them, I'd rather deal with Sylphid's magic than Mary trying to murder me, after all. All I need is that brief glimpse, and...

<Rauri> Assess the Situation
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 10+3 = 13
What here can I use to Negate Mary's Powers, and How could I best infuriate or provoke Mary? (Got answers in irc)


Alright, I'm done calculating things. Only took me that brief flash of lightning, and thank god I have my shield up - my superpowered teammate got sent flying, and all the while I'm totally fine. More than fine, even - I have this poo poo under control. "Sorry to cut this short, Mary," I start, cocking my head to the side and leering in the vague direction she's in. It's irritating me quite a bit she's not dealing with me personally, and I'd like her to be here when I obliterate her powers and show her what a joke she is.

Reaching into my pockets, I grin impossibly wide from within my forcefield's safety. "But it's time to straighten you out." Grabbing a completely random device, I hold it like it's the One Ring and I'm standing at the Crack of Doom. "Paying attention to anyone but me was hideously dumb, you understand that right?" Well, at least I have her attention... "No wait, you're still blonde as gently caress, I'll give you a few seconds to catch up. My shield's got time."

<Rauri> Provoke Mary with another hair pun
<Rauri> !r 2d6+3
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9+3 = 12
<godfish> hahahaha
*** megane [~Sam@synIRC-FC1B2DC9.austin.res.rr.com] has quit [Quit: Leaving.]
<Rauri> should've been +4 anyways
<TheJoshie> Wow
Having Mary focus /all/ of her efforts on attacking Shodan, as opposed to teammates.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty

"gently caress!"

Taking a powerful blow
<godfish> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7+1 = 8
provoking a teammate


Its not like it hurts, but getting smashed through a lot of walls is REALLY ANNOYING, and from the sound of it I broke something of Shodan's. I don't know what obviously because its dark, but like, it sounded like a lot of smashing and some electrical noises, so it was probably like her supercomputer or something. And yeah, I feel bad, but that isn't really my primary concern. That idiot just broke our drat wall!

"Dammit Avatar, don't just lay around get in there and give it a loving trim!" I shout at her in frustration and I get up and charge forward again.

<godfish> provoke avatar
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 7-1 = 6


So like, I don't actually need to see. Its part of what going through countless hours of fighting other metahumans does. Get a... feel for things. A good fighter watches their opponents movements and responds, but a great fighter needs to be moving faster than they can consciously think about things. So I've charged directly into the ball of hair and teeth, and as I feel the 'arms' of the thing reaching for me, I weave, shifting through the strikes until I'm dead center against the thing and I shove my hand inside. This isn't a person, and the text from Bravura confirmed Mary was behind this. Which meant she was controlling this thing remotely somehow, which meant... There, a knotted ball of hair in the center. With a heave, I rip it out, tossing the ball towards Avatar. There's a hair leading from it back down all the way to our room, and a LOT of loose hairs still leading into the 'body' of the thing, but its disconnected for now. "Cut the strands!"

<godfish> directly engage hairball
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 9+2 = 11
Taking something from it -the control center, and creating an opening for Avatar, to finish it.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry | Location: Shodan's lovely lab

'OWW. Goddamn that hurt. But still, can't let that distract me while Mary is trying to murder all of us... At least I can breathe now. And more importantly, move.'

"Galeblade Mystletainn, soar with grace!"

Sylphid was just about to attack when I see Shodan pissing Mary off again. 'I... I really can't let her get strangled again, can I? gently caress.'

"You better figure out how to deal with this soon! I Don't think I can take much more of this..." Sylphid quips at Shodan. She smells... pretty singed, there's blood on her back (likely from crashing through several things), but still, she stands tall, sword at the ready. And thanks to her attunement to magic, she doesn't even need light - the incredible magical power coursing through Mary right now is clearly visible. ... And disturbing.


Defending Shodan: 2d6+2 9 (+1 from Influence for a total of 10. I keep forgetting to add that, derp..) Clearing Afraid.

Never give up, never surrender: 2d6+2 [b]10[/b] Choosing to add a Team to the pool.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry

Being slammed into Jewels drives the air out of my lungs, leaves me winded and gasping - and that's before the two of us are flung through several walls. The Myriad could protect me from harm, but in all the speed and confusion, I can't move the nanomachines where they need to be to shield me. So I lie in a bruised, bleeding heap, and might have a concussion from that, too.

[1:49pm] Nown: Taking a Powerful Blow
[1:49pm] Nown: !r 2d6+1
[1:49pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 10+1 = 11
I lose control of my powers in a terrible way

Too late, the Myriad surge to the defence of their host, and when defence is impossible, they move right to retaliation, before I can even consciously command anything! My limbs rise without my consent, as my still dazed brain barely hears what Jewels said; and the nanomachines erupt in a way I can't control, pour forth in a surge of scalpel-sharp blades, with no restraint or ability to tell friend from foe.

[1:51pm] Nown: Unleashing my Powers
[1:51pm] Nown: !r 2d6+2
[1:51pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 10+2 = 12
[1:51pm] Nown: loving let me fail once in a while, geez, I want potential too ;___;
Overcoming the obstacle of Mary's hair still existing. If you think Directly Engaging is a better fit, then it would be the same result, and I'd pick 'resist/avoid their blows' and 'take something from them' - i.e. their ability to fight back. I just felt that Unleashing Powers worked better as a result of the last roll.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

Spend ten seconds trying to get the word out and things to go poo poo.

What's Mary saying? That sounds a lot like mind control or something. Hummm. I probably can't hit her directly, but....

One eye goes to an oxygen cylinder. Nope, burning down the whole place would be going a step too far. Then I see it, there it is one the wall.

A fire alarm!

And, even better, it's one of those 'break glass' kinds. I flip one of the chair legs over in my hand. "Ready?" I ask Gabi, and then I pop up, hurling the stick end over it.


Taking
MAkeshift Escrima Sticks using No Powers move, and burning a box to get to use +Mundane with Directly Engage
<Platonicsolid> Hitting the fire alarm from afar with Mundane.
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 7+2 = 9


It swirls through the air and smacks into the fire alarm, breaking the glass and hitting the button underneath. Emergency lights flash on and all the sprinklers in the ceiling go off, drenching the medical center.

Creating an opportunity for Seraphim

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +1| Savior: +1| Superior: -1 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: The Cage

She's right, and I know she's right, I am just a monster, I destroy things, I don't protect people, I need someone else to protect people, because I might hurt them. I'll get help, I'll get the others, we'll fight off what's going on, and get Ms. Doring... Or we could come back, and find out that they just wanted to take her, to show we were failures. Ms. Doring is in trouble, she's screaming at me to help the others, she doesn't think I can do this alone, and she's letting herself get hurt because I'm a failure. I could stop it though, I could do it, I'm here, I'm useful, I can do it, with or without my team. This... this hair, whatever it was, it couldn't stop me, nothing could stop me, I was a Monster. And nothing can stop a true monster, nothing can make a monster yield.

Unstoppable
(KittyPhone) !r 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) KittyPhone, 12+1 = 13
The world breaks before me, and I get to where I want


I rip my way out of the creature, and more than that, I rip my way through the walls of the Cage. See, the Cage wasn't built to keep me in if I -tried- to leave, it was built to house me for when I was asleep, for when my idle movements would destroy wood. But the six feet of concrete broke like a half inch of plaster, as I literally punched me way through the wall into the room with Ms. Doring, the darkness meaning nothing to me as I charge into whatever was grabbing the now muffled woman, and rip it off.

Defend Ms. Doring
(KittyPhone) !r 2d6+1
(Krysmbot) KittyPhone, 10+1 = 11
Should actually be at -1 because of Insecure, but bumps up to +0 due to +1 against scary hair monster from Coming For You
Choosing to Clear Insecure by proving myself.


"Don't worry. I'm here. I can handle it. I'm not going to abandon you. We're both getting out of here." I try to comfort her, as I literally wrap my massive arms around her, "Just hold on tight. I'll get us to the stairs."

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


Everyone

Due to Gwen's actions... all of you are soaked by the now very active fire sprinkling system.

Jewels

You watch as Avatar makes a pretty wild slash that cuts the strand from the center you pulled. However, you don't have time to celebrate as Avatar slashes again. And again. And again!

Oh... and the person she slashing at... is you. As the cut strand is pulling rapidly back from where it came, you now have to deal with a berserk Avatar as she is rapidly attacking you with blades that not only cuts your clothes... but they also leave some painful, thin cuts along your body! Take a powerful blow! And you might need to Unleash our powers or directly engage to restrain her... but how do you do it with out harming her?

Avatar

No! Why don't they stop! Why can't they stop! Why won't they listen!

Jewels is being harmed... of all people, of all times...

How do you feel? How do you apologize? How do you even begin to explain this?

...oh, and take a Doom Sign for attacking an innocent.

Sylphid & Shodan

...wow! The two of you standing side by side, watching each others backs! Such a bonding moment here. Shodan, I always have to ask how you feel about situations like this...

But anyway, to business: Staying alive.

...SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPIHATEYOUSOMUCH!

...yes...make her angrier...almost there...

Sylphid, that wasn't telepathy... but that also wasn't spoken. Shodan didn't hear it, nor should she... that was spoken through magical laylines... and it send chills up your spine!

Mary doesn't give you time to sort this out, as the mass of hair unform itself and turns into a torrent of hair that attempts to flow past you towards Shodan... obviously, you will have none of that. What do you do to stop it?

Shodan...I hope you know what you're doing... because Mary comes at you alright! Oh, and that temporary force shield of yours? It shorts out. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) Sylphid is between her and you, but you are clearly her target.

Assuming that Sylphid can repel her attacks... what do you do to take advantage of this situation?

Dragon

Doring's face is mixed. On the one hand, you disobeyed an order. On the other, you just rescued her. This canceling out kept her silent as you begin your trek towards the stairs. However, she does rub your cheek affectionately.

Up you go and you arrive... where? And what is happening that gives you pause?

Seraphim

Gwen's distraction gives the creature pause! What do you do?

thejoshie fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2016 around 05:14

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Afraid
Location: My Lab

WHO IN THE HELL HOOKED THIS LAB UP TO A GENERAL PURPOSE SPRINKLER SYSTEM?! Seriously, that's just... beyond idiotic. And not only because it shorted out my shield or anything.

Alright, the two of us versus Mary, she's awfully mad at me, and Sylphid's tanking. Normally I like playing support - it's more intellectually stimulating - but I might as well hybrid it up and start DPSing. Listen, I'm all for doing my own thing whenever and as often as I can, but I'm not an idiot. After whatever's happened to Mary, she'd probably thrash me by herself if we were all one on one about this. As such, I'm not going to fail to utilize someone like Sylphid to you know, win and not die. Not really an unreasonable position now is it? Besides, Sylphid's got some impressive powers, even if she's probably rocking an IQ of about eighty or so.

With Mary's hair temporarily at bay again, I'm reaching into my coatpocket, withdrawing the final card I'll need to play this fight. And by card I obviously mean invention of mine - in this case, a small pellet gun. A pellet gun that fires pellets that contain nanomachines designed to devour the first source of inorganic matter they come into contact with. It's actually a really recent addition to my armory - I made it after Avatar was extraordinarily selfish and wouldn't let me examine her or run tests on her nanotech. That's why I made my own, and that's why Mary gets to enjoy this now.

"Hey Mary," I level the gun at one of her hair-tendrils with a big grin on my face. "Eat poo poo and die." That said, I fire a few of the pellets into her hair, irritated that I won't have enough light to properly judge the efficiency of this device's first field-test. Ah well, as long as it works!

<Rauri> Directly Engage Mary
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 9+1 = 10
had +1 to roll from using answer from previous assess situation. Choosing resist or avoid their blows, frighten the opposition.


I throw my Goggles on too, both to look cooler when the lights come back on - and to see what's going on until that happens. I've bought myself enough time, might as well get to watch some of the aftermath of my brilliant attack!

Rauri fucked around with this message at Mar 30, 2016 around 07:37

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty

take a powerful blow
<godfish> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 8+1 = 9


I'm not concerned at first when Avatar's slashes continue at me, and don't bother to move out of the way until the first cuts land, and I let out a gasp, more of surprise than from the actual pain, though it does hurt! In an instant, I've leaped backwards far enough to smash back through several walls, landing in a fighting crouch and staring at Avatar. I'm even breathing hard as well, which is... not... common. What the hell. And it looks like Avatar is now busily... shredding Shodan's room. I should do something... but just for a moment, I hesitate.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Angry | Location: Shodan's lovely lab

"Not so tough when you can't sneak attack us, huh?" I quip at Mary... before this voice freaks me the hell out.

Wait, what the poo poo? What is this voice? That... That's magical transmission.

While keeping one eye on Mary, I turn halfways towards Shodan. "Don't piss her off even more, okay? Somethings wrong... There's a third party involved here. Possibly some sort of spirit. They WANT us to piss off Mary even more. So clearly we shouldn't."

As I explain, I see a torrent of hair trying to sneak past me. PItifully slow. Well, for me, anyway. I'm sorry, Mary, but I'm going to have to trim that hair.

Have you ever cut something with a sword? It's even better when you can swing about eight times per second. Really therapeutic. So, yeah, all of that hair falls apart almost like the parts you cut off the unmanned Rex in Revengeance!

"Heh, I feel just like Raiden right now."


Defending Shodan: 2d6+2 10 Clearing Angry.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010



Freak: 1| Danger: -1| Savior: +1 | Superior: +2 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: Infirmary

I thought I had her. But I guess she was smarter than I thought. Or at least smarter than me. Rather than fighting to pull me back she let me pull her forward and turn the movement into a charge a clever trick and if I live through this fight one i'll have to remember for my own use. But right now I had to survive the next thirty seconds which looked easier said than done until the water started pouring down. It took me a moment to register where it was coming from a moment that Mary didn't take continuing her charge.

[22:52] Ferrosol taking a powerful blow
[22:53] Ferrosol !r 2d6
[22:53] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 3 = 3
marking potential

Fortunately the slipperiness of the now wet floor caused the already unbalanced Mary to slip and stumble and I was able to sidestep out of the way just enough that she slammed right into the wall next to me rather than putting me face first through it. She shook her head as if to clear the pain she must be feeling as I backed away considering my next move. I couldn't really match her in a straight up fight. Not even with Gwen's help. So I'd have to fight smart and dirty. Use my head for something other than holding up my hair. Frantically scanning the room I looked for something anything to give me an edge....

[23:00] Ferrosol assess the situation
[23:00] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[23:00] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 6+2 = 8
asking how can i end this quickly? and what here is in the greatest danger?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +2 | Danger: +1| Savior: +1| Superior: -1 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty| Location: Jewels and Avatar's lil fight

We emerge and into the light, soaked wet and likely being followed. Ms. Doring is decidedly quiet over my actions, and I can't say I'm not glad about that. I kind of expected her to be upset at me, I did, after all, disobey a direct order, even if it helped her. The quiet was fine - except as we emerged from the bunker like structure, I couldn't help but be assailed by the sounds of battle. But this wasn't the sound of someone ripping hair apart, this wasn't a battle between us and the enemy at all. I saw Avatar, but she... she looked different, she was attacking so savagely, she was... she reminded of me, and it terrified me. Is that what people saw when they saw me fighting, did I look like that, so raw, so savage?

But she was trying to stab Jewels, to hurt her, and I had to help, I had to intervene, and I had no time to think. Ms. Doring was still in my arms, so that left one option as I jumped into the fray - turning my back to Avatar, and wrapping my wings around myself, letting them defend me, Ms. Doring, and Jewels from the assault. It was... well, honestly, Avatar was one of the few people I felt like this was risky with. I didn't know how strong her blades were, really - I'd never pushed to test her stabbing me at full strength. And my wings weren't quite as strong as my arms or leg's, even if the scales were incredibly tough.

Defend Jewels
21:23 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+1
21:23 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 11+1 = 12
Clearing Afraid and protecting Jewels


Luckily, it turns out the scales are strong enough as I wrap the three of us up, and I decide to try to lighten the mood just a little as I shot her a smile, "Hi Jewels. Lovely meeting you here - now, take care of Ms. Doring, please!" I was shoving the woman into Jewel's strong arms, passing her around like a hot potato at a party. Because I had something else to do, that I needed my hands for. As soon as she was out of my hands, I unfurled my wings, spinning around to grab both of Avatar's arms by their hands, shoving my scaled palms down onto the nano-blades, pushing them out of shape, forcing the alien technology to shatter and preventing it from reforming as I just pushed the machines back around my teammate's hand, preventing them from leaving her body that way at all.

"Avatar, I don't know what's wrong, but you need to calm down, I'm sorry I wasn't here to help, but nothing good is coming from this." My hands grasped around her, my claws awkwardly pressed into her wrist as I tried very hard to not perforate her arms over it. I could hold onto her just fine - I could do it, but we had more important things to do. While I was moping underground, everything went to poo poo, and I wasn't around to help anyone. I needed to start here, and to do that, I needed to make sure Avatar got back in control of herself, so we could go help the rest of the team.

Directly Engage
21:41 KittyEmpress !r 2d6+1
21:42 Krysmbot KittyEmpress, 7+1 = 8
Taking Guilty with Not Human Enough to take two options:
Resist Blows
Seize


sorry godfish, retconning your WHOLE POST NERD

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.


Clapping Larry


Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Savior +3 | Superior 0 | Mundane 0 Masked
Potential 4/5 | Conditions: | The Lab

Mary doesn't understand anger, real rage, it was like a drop in the bucket for someone like me. The ties that bound me together were anger, at myself, at my dad, at the world in general. My entire life had been one ball of anger directed in one path or another. It was like a red haze went over me and the saving fell to revenge. Her small tiny almost insignificant hate, met my pure unending volume of rage, I had spent my life redirecting my hate, but now I found something that had added directionless momentum to it. Now, I hated everyone and everything, and all the indignities and suffering that I had to endure with a smile.

I was tired of hiding and tired as the my suit started to glow from the pure energy that I started putting out. I started getting hotter as the water from the sprinklers evaporated as soon as it gets close to me. My hands start to search for flesh to grab and hurt, to strangle the very life from the monster that was in front of me, and my own monster unleashed. Her very insolence that her anger was anything other a lake compared to my ocean of my rage. I grab whatever is left of her flesh among the hair and lift the massive object, the energy turning my body into a bright beacon in the middle of the tangle of hair.

Slyphid's lance arced into my body and it absorbed it just as it had done Mary's infantile temper tantrum. I was now, starting to cause static electricity to arc through the air as I struggled to contain both the anger and the energy that is flowing into me. Instead I focus on her and try to keep her physical body in hand and direct all my anger and rage at her, the one focal point.

I fell my hands start to crawl toward the things neck she no longer looked human at least to me behind my mask. As electricity arced from my shoulders to my arm.

Rolled the wrong roll, but it is Take a Powerful blow
2d6+0: 3 [2d6=1, 2]
marking potential

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 2/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

I try, hard as I can, to force the Myriad back, but it's like we're completely separate - or like a failsafe has been tripped, and I can't turn them off any more than whoever set the sprinklers off could just force the water back. My vision goes red - completely, everything I see marked as a hostile threat, and the nanomachines attack without direction. They're trying to protect me, I know, but that doesn't stop me screaming at them to stop, shouting over the endless chatter in my head, and the gleeful laughter of SIngularity as they lash out at Jewels.

Thank God that Vermilion arrives. The part of me that's alarmed that she can restrain me is drowned out by the part that's beyond thankful that there's someone here who can stop this. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't-wasn't, I, I couldn't stop it!" I almost bawl, and that breaks the cycle, silences the alarms ringing in my head, stops the Myriad from continuing to attack everything they deem to be a threat. Speaking of which...

"J-jewels? Jewels, are you okay?" I try to look past Vermillion, at the girl I just attacked, hurt, probably destroyed any chances of friendship with. "Jewels, I'm sorry, p-please you have to believe me, I didn't try to..."

[2:05pm] Nown: Gonna be salty if I succeed in this roll
[2:05pm] Nown: Comfort/Support Jewels
[2:05pm] Nown: !r 2d6-2
[2:05pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 9-2 = 7
[2:05pm] Nown: motherFUCKER
Mark potential, clear a condition, or shift labels if you open up to me.

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


Shodan. Fission and Sylphid

Shodan, your invention is a success... sort of.

See... thanks to Sylphid becoming a human hedge clipper, only some of your pellets are on target. some miss the hair tendril. The first inorganic material that those pellets hit?

Fission's mask!!!!

Fission, take a powerful blow... and what do you do to maintain your identity!?

Dragon, Avatar and Jewels

Jewels! Are you just going to sit there while Avatar pours her heart out at you? How do you respond?

Anywho...

Ms. Doring, still in your arms Jewels, is looking at her phone and frowns. "These attacks are happening across campus. These... 'hair creatures' are everywhere. Students are being attacked. Jewels, take Dragon and Avatar. you need to link up with Bravura, she's in the medical wing..."

She looks up at Avatar, then you, Dragon. "...Lisa, your team needs you more. Leave me here, you'll travel faster that way. I'll hide in the darkness till then."

Before you have a chance to object, "...you're a hero, Lisa. A Valkyrie. Your team needs you. Beasts think with instinct. A person thinks with their heads... and their hearts. Remember that."

Well Dragon, if you don't reject that influence, that's -1 Freak and +1 Mundane.



Gwen & Gabi

"Ladies, hold it's attention!" Mrs. Louis yells, "I just got back in touch with Ms. Doring. Avatar, Dragon and Jewels are on their way!"

So yeah, a plan. Distract the hair creature while three of your teammate regroups with you... but how will you do this? Especially considering that this thing is starting to get a bit smart. You're going to have to find someway to distract it till help arrives.

What do the two of you do?

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: Afraid
Location: My Lab

Are you KIDDING ME?!

"Stay out of the loving way!" I announce to Fission, since I'm still pissed at her, and if her suit gets eaten away by my lovely nanomachines, that's on her and I'm going to laugh about it. If anything, she deserves the time it's going to take her to repair her suit (provided she even knows how, bet she's too stupid though) for having wrecked all my flashbangs earlier. I'd barely recognized she was here. By which I mean, my brain had fully informed me on all of her weird energy absorption poo poo from the literal nanosecond I was cognizant of it, I just chose to try and ignore it.

Still, Mary's hair isn't defeated, and once again it's because my brilliance has been stymied by the incompetents that make up the rest of the Valkyries. I still have no idea why Ms. Boring deliberately aimed for a bunch of knuckle-dragging idiots, then added Seraphim and me to the team. Sylphid's at least useful, if still an idiot - Fission, meanwhile, is totally worthless. And a backstabbing bitch.

My shield's down, and I'm not taking any chances against Mary's absurdly lethal power. I'd thought I'd ended this and I was wrong, and I hate being wrong. Pulling my shotgun off my hip, it's time for a second final trump card. "Let me reiterate, Mary - eat poo poo and die." With that said, it's time to introduce her to Katsuragi, and the numerous shells I've modified her to contain. My gun against her hair, I totally have this handled still, trust me...

<Rauri> Shotgun time
<Rauri> Directly Engage Mary
<Rauri> !r 2d6+0
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 3+0 = 3
<TheJoshie> \o/
<ShootaBoy> boom
<Rauri> hahaha yussss, level up
<Rauri> also probably shooting Fission or something
Marking potential, saving advance for the time being~

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 5/5 | Conditions:

For a moment, I don't know what the hell is going on. One second Avatar is slicing through the hair like a sharp whirlwind, and then its all gone, and its just me and her, her arms still slashing wildly. "Good w-ahh!" Its more a hiss of surprise than pain as I see one of her blades trace a line across my skin, and -this is the big part- feel it as more than just a touch. I jerk my arm back just as another one of her blades is closing in, and just as suddenly, I'm facing a wall of dragon.

"What?" Why is she handing me Ms. Doring? Wait, what? My eyes have adjusted enough now that I can see that... It looks like Vermillion has stopped Avatar's slashing, and the hair is definitely gone. Awkwardly, I set Ms. Doring down on the bed, which mostly escaped destruction, and stare down at my arm. It has a single long, thin, cut, welling with blood. Wincing slightly, I reach down and rub a finger across it, wiping the blood away. It stings, but the blood doesn't come back, so it must be healing up already. Still... ouch.

I... wasn't really listening to what anyone was saying. When I snap out of it enough to look up at the others, Avatar is apologizing and looks like she's about to cry, which is almost as surprising as me being cut. "Uh..." I hesitate for a moment, looking at her uncertainly, then move away from the bed, giving Vermillion a clap on the shoulder as I pass her, "Thanks Ver," and then pick up Avatar out of her arms and squeeze her in mine. "Don't worry about it Avatar, I'm fine." I let her go and hold up the arm, wiping the rest of the blood off my cut -smearing it across my arm- so she can see its already healing. "Definitely freaked me out though, I didn't think anyone could cut me."

"Guess those bastards didn't do as good a job as they thought..."

She doesn't look particularly comforted, so I give her shoulder a pat as well. "I know you didn't mean it, you just cut through that hairball faster than you thought and hit me a couple times." Keeping my hand on her shoulder, I turn her a bit so we're both facing Doring when she starts to talk. Did she just..? Hell. Yeah! Put me in charge, yup.

Clearing Guilty for opening up
<godfish> comfort/support Avatar
<godfish> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> godfish, 3-1 = 2
<godfish> gimme dat sweet potential :V


"Got it Ms. Doring!" I start to turn to the others again. "Alright, we know these things weakness already, they're being controlled by a single hair that connects to the whole mass. Avatar, cuts again, Vermillion... can you breathe fire? If not, I guess slice with your claws, or you can do what I do and just reach in and find the control clump. Okay, I know the two of you can keep up with me, lets go!" With that, I turn, kick the door out the rest of the way off its hinges, and run down the hall towards the medical wing. That was a lie actually, I'm pretty sure I can go faster than the two of them -well, maybe not Avatar, no idea how fast she can go- but I'm making sure to stay at just a 'really fast' speed.

Taking
Thick and Thin Skinned: Whenever you have Angry marked, take +1 ongoing to unleash your powers.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?


Freak: 0 | Danger: -1| Savior: +2 | Superior: 0 | Mundane: +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Location: Shodan's lovely lab

Fission? When did she come here? Ah poo poo, I unloaded the Arklance into her as well, didn't I? They really should have announced themselves - I can only really see Mary and her stupid hair in here, and that's only because the magical energy in there is a giant glowing neon sign.

Anyway, looks like there's finally a tiny lull in the fighting. Maybe I can figure out what the hell that voice was...

Assess the Situation: 2d6-2 4

I guess not.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies



Freak: +1 | Danger: +1| Savior: +2| Superior: -1 | Mundane: 0
Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Guilty| Location:

I don't really want to leave her, but she's right about us needing to take care of this at the source. And carting her to it wasn't really an option - at least not a sane one. After all, for all we knew it'd be the most dangerous place to be, and taking here there could be tantamount to dragging her into a real warzone. She's talking to me about how proud she is, and I know she's trying to make me feel better, but I close my claws and shake my head, "I couldn't have just protected you, and Jewels, and Avatar if I was just Lisa. I am Vermilion Dragon for a reason. And whether I like it or not, being a freak, a monster, it lets me keep people near me safe. And that's what I need, more than anything. A hero doesn't need to look good, or have legions of fans. I just need to protect what I can."

Rejecting
12:15 KittyEmpress !r 2d6
12:15 Krysmphoenix KittyEmpress, 7 = 7
Shifting Mundane Down, and Savior up.


I stood up, a little more resolute now, opening my claws, "Lets get to it then, girls." I don't have knuckles to crack anymore - or at least knuckles that do crack. If I did though, I would do that, because we needed to get to work. I already knew most of Jewel's skillset, it wasn't that different from my own, if not quite as... noticeable. Avatar was a little weirder always, I felt a little uncomfortable not really knowing how she worked, but she seemed to get... whatever under control. And they were at least trying to make up and stuff. So I didn't really need to intervene.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

Hold it's attention? Riiiight. Because we're totally *not* doing that right now.

My first though is...obvious. Also not really going to work, since the running sprinklers will make it hard to set things on fire.

Backup's coming, though. Here I'd been all excited about some downtime. Going to have to earn that.

So, what can I do? What would even get a weird hair creature's attention? Scissors? I peek up from my hiding place to take a quick look.

<Platonicsolid> Assessing the situation
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 5+2 = 7
Asking How can we best end this quickly?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.



Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 2+1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

"Right... right..." I mutter, distracted. I don't feel better, but I don't feel worse after Jewels tries to reassure me, either - even if it included a hug! Once I'm let go, and while I'm making sure the Myriad's autonomous self defence protocols are under control and aren't about to make things worse again, I listen to what Vermilion says. She was the one who saved this situation, after all, and it... hurts a little to hear her talk about herself like that.

"...whatever you are, you're not a monster," I say. "Monsters don't save people." I stare at her as I say it, thinking, scanning. There has to be something more than just her appearance to make her consider herself a monster... right?

[3:33pm] Nown: Piercing Vermilionís Mask
[3:33pm] Nown: !roll 2d6-2
[3:33pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 7-2 = 5
Marking potential. For the record, if the roll had been successful I would have picked 'How could I get your character to have a better self-image'

But can't spend too long on that... We have to deal with this hair-creature situation first, and Jewels is already taking off, so I follow as quick as I can, with Myriad-bolstered legs!

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at Apr 5, 2016 around 22:13

thejoshie
May 2, 2013


Sylphid

Narrowing your senses, you feel it... a rift in the magical laylines... teleportation... Right behind you!

You turn towards Shodan, who was also behind you and too late does the impulse to scream 'Look Out' reaches your lips! Uh-oh...

Shodan

"Let me reiterate, Mary - eat poo poo and die."

As your pellets continue to eat away at the hair monster, you notice that the hair is rapidly regenerating. Not that it matters. Your finger squeezes the trigger, ready to end this fight...

"Spear of Kings, Gae Bolg, crush my enemies!"

...wait, that came for behind...

BOOM!

The resulting wall force that hit you like a truck from behind, sends you and rows of tables flipping end over end across the lab! Take a Powerful Blow!

Shodan, have you ever been hit this hard before? How does it feel, knowing how 'fragile' you are compared to the rest of the Valkrie? And more importantly... did you hurt yourself when you landed? If not, how the heck did you avoid injury?

Sylphid

Your voice constricts on itself, as it runs dry with fear. It's her. The woman who nearly crippled your mother, the woman who has sworn to end your legacy, even if she had to butcher innocents to do it. The woman who, even now, carries a powerful magical aura that threatens to choke you merely by you looking at her.

The Blue Empress is here, covered in the same elegant costume she wore when she was the Sylphid. Describe it for the rest of us... as well as the main difference that sets her apart from you.

Be that as it may, she just sent Shodan flying across the room! And now Blue Empress looks at you...

"...she was right to hide you from me. Now her failure is complete." The Gae Bolg spear points towards you. "...I may regret my actions someday, but the next step to the end of my family's genealogical bondage to the Sylphid... is your death. Brace yourself, granddaughter."

She says this calmly, as if she merely asking for the time. She has changed. Well, Sylphid, you know Blue Empress plays for keeps. She tried to kill our mom... and she will definitely try to kill you.

How do you feel about this? Especially considering that Blue Empress might possibly be the strongest challenged you've faced by far.

Bravura & Seraphim

As Seraphim is continuing with her tug of war, a thought registers in your head...

Water prevents fire, sure... but it 'helps' electricity! You're near the med lab! Defibrillators!

A shock from those at the highest setting will possbly cause a static cling effect. It'll cause the hair to stick to itself and anyother clothlike material. It's already wet as well... primed for a shocking attack!

Of course, that would require you to run back to the lab... but maybe that's a good thing. Get it to chase you and Seraphim away from Mrs. Louis and get it isolated. Use the defibrillators to static cling it and perhaps 'then' you two might be able to bring it down without help. Easier said than done, of course.

So how will you and Seraphim accomplish this?

Jewels, Avatar and Dragon

Jewels, remember that strand that retreated away earlier? It's back... and it's not alone. Each of you now see FOUR Hair monsters infront of you!

This means that these things are spreading and multiplying! Obviously, to stop this, you need to find MAry herself... but what do you do to track her... while defending yourselves from these for beasts that, as we speak, pounces on you!?!?!?

Oh, and Jewel's, what path did you take? There are no elevator access and no lights. How did you resolve this problem and where did you and your two charges get trapped? How did they get the jump on you three?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.



Freak +1 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Sure, it might be dark, but the key thing here is... I don't actually need to see anything to get around, all I had to do was run straight down the hall until I ran into the wall, because that's where the stairs and elevators are. The elevators might be down, but the stairs are... blocked by four of the hair things. So. Stairs are out... But we're on the fourth floor.... Bravura is in the medical wing, and if we're at the end of the hall... I twist to the side, roll under a swipe of toothy hair, and rather ineffectively push aside a tendrils coming for me (its hard to palm thrust a ball of hair very effectively) grab one and swing it into the others.

<godfish> directly engage
<godfish> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> godfish, 6+2 = 8
creating an opportunity


"Vermillion! We're four floors up from where we want to be, could you smash the floor out?!"

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008




Fre: +1 | Dan: 0 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +3 | Mun: 0
Potential: 5/5 | Conditions: Afraid
Location: My Lab

Wait, what?! There's an add I've managed to aggro and it's got a skull around its portrait, oh for gently caress's sa-

<Rauri> Take a powerful blow
<Rauri> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Rauri, 6+1 = 7
<Rauri> ughhh
You give ground; your opposition gets an opportunity - aka, Shodan's having to manually push tables up off her and it's going to take a second or two before she can access any of her gear again.


The rest of my conscious thought ends for a moment as I'm rocketed away from whatever the gently caress just happened. It's not the least bit reassuring that my brain's calculating how many joules I'm taking as I slam into the wall, quite a few work benches and assorted other bits of metal right behind me. It's not great - especially since my coat's automatic defenses fail to entirely absorb the blow. They should've, but since they clearly hosed up, I'm dealing with the consequences. Which, in this case, feels like a broken rib or three. Ouch. At least my shields worked at all - if they hadn't, I'd probably be rekted at the moment. Or gibbed, whatever term you want to use.

It doesn't help that I'm pinned under these heavy benches, either. I'm a super genius, but I'm also the ONLY person on the Valkyries aside from Bravura that doesn't have some kind of physical power. Plus she's physically fit - absurdly so - while I've skipped gym class via hacking the institute's webserver and adding exemptions to my file for Physical Education classes. Don't get me wrong, I definitely belong on the team more than she does - but don't get me wrong about this either, I have the physical capabilities of a nerdy sixteen year old that probably shouldn't have exempted herself from PE. I'm rocking oh so much cleverness, but it doesn't really matter much when I get caught totally off-guard. Also, clearly need to patch my gear for higher caliber threats - VD, Mary, and whoever this newcomer is are all a lot stronger than I'm used to having to deal with.

Still, these work tables aren't impossible for me to crawl out from under. It only take me about thirty painful seconds to liberate myself from the pile I'd been stuck under earlier, and I'm totally ready for action again! Hope no one taken advantage of that time - Sylphid's definitely been talking to whoever it is, but even with my enhanced brain I've been too punchdrunk to pick up on what she's been saying.

Rauri fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2016 around 06:30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.


Clapping Larry


Freak -1 | Danger +1 | Savior +3 | Superior 0 | Mundane 0 Masked
Potential 4/5 | Conditions: | The Lab

The bullets hitting the side of my head and into my mask were hard enough to concentrate on when everyone else seemed to be ignoring that I actually was there. "STOP firing at me!" I shouted and then in one instant all of that energy that I was absorbing was unleashed at once, as pure unbound as anything. It was pure light. My hand goes up to my mask, as it was damaged, and I use a strip of my belt to hold the remains of it on. The rest of whatever was in the shotgun is no more, as the energy unleashed starts to pour out of me until I can't control it. In fact Mary and her mutant hair gets the brunt of it, but the ignition was akin to nuclear bomb without the radiation going off.

I focus on the ground and start to rock, still glowing red hot and starting to melt things around me, had to focus on it. It takes so much concentration to hold it together, and now, my mask was damaged, I couldn't talk at all, I couldn't tell them to get back. Electricity starts to arc off of me, as I start to react to the metal nearby. My atoms were moving to fast, and creating too much friction, I had to focus and calm down, I had to calm down. I was starting to fall apart.

From one instant, I was invisible to being brighter than the sun, and now it was starting to act like a tanning salon in here. Though the metal around me starting to melt and form puddles at my feet was not as good as I could have hoped.

Well, at least with one hand holding my mask up, I could know what a nuclear reactor felt like.

Taking a Powerful Blow
2d6+0: 11 [2d6=6, 5]
You lose control of yourself or your powers in a terrible way.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2016 around 06:21

  • Locked thread
«8 »