Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008






Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2

The whole get shakes and Gwen goes immediately tense. No. No. Not Gwen. Bravura. She can do this. Really she can. Even though she's in some kind of experimental jet. Flown by Shodan. Why did they let her do that?

Then again, she only got grounded for blowing up a city block. Everything had been going so well until then! We'd narrowed him in, cleared the area. Fighting Spambots was kind of cool, because...c'mon, Spambots, not like they have little botlets at home or anything (do they?) I really proved I could be useful...I think. Not like I was Slyphid, with her winged sword and her magic words. Probably a one-person army if she wanted to be. And Jewels...she's always been brash, big part of what I like about. I'd never seen her go at it like she did against the robots. Reminded me how mundane I am, how mundane she's not.

The jet shakes again. I grab Jewels' hand for a hot second, until the canopy bursts off and we all go flying. Breathe deep, Gwen. Breathe deep. Slyphid's got you, she controls the winds, you're gonna be fine, you're gonna be fine...

The roof still rushes up faster than I expected.

THUMP

I tuck and roll, like I've practiced so many times before. This is different, though. I'm actually in action. With a team. My team. My fingers move automatically, unhooking my bow, drawing an arrow. Up, and aim. Find the shot.

Slyphid revs up with all her fancy weapons and magics. It's a huge light snow, I almost wince from the brightness and drat did she not hit him. This could take a little while.

Then Jewels comes crashing down like a ton of bricks.

drat she's great.

And a great distraction. Sciromancer isn't paying attention to me at all. As Jewels makes contact, I line up and then....

Directly engaging Sciromancer, aiming for his eye, taking advance from Jewels
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 11 = 11
<Platonicsolid> Holy crap.
<Platonicsolid> I will create a new advantage for y'all, and also frighten him, because ow, arrow in the eye.



TWANG.......SCLORP!

How the hell did I make that? Wow!

Oh no, no fancy banner!

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at Apr 26, 2016 around 01:53

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Bravura
Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Porential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Roof (?)

I know I shouldn't take too much credit for a million to one shot. I'm not that good. Am I? Maybe? Well, I'll enjoy it. "Tha..." I start to call back to Fission.

I'm interrupted by a huge energy torrent, a sort of cascading ribbon of lightning that lances through the air. I leap to the side, trying to dodge it, but there's no way. It smacks me in the legs and sends me tumbling, landing in an inelegant sprawl against the lip of the roof.

<Platonicsolid> Taking the blow
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 9 = 9
I'd say this counts as Giving Ground


I'm stuck back here, and...that might okay, I might have a moment to catch my breath. Except the roof is giving way. Echoes rattle as huge cracks form and open and the whole thing collapses. Rapidly. I know it's fast, even if it feels like slow motion too. As concrete falls through below me, I roll hard and scramble forward. Every step seems to find a chunk falling away. It's like climbing a waterfall. I make a final leap, reaching out for a piece of exposed conduit to swing myself away from the deteriorating roof - that'll move me closer to the Sciromancer. Crap. One crisis at a time.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Roof

I haul myself on the pipe, pulling up with my arms while I swing my legs around, like a pendulum, throwing myself into a twirl to arc towards a safer section of the roof. I land just behind Sylphid, who's clearly been covering for me. "Thanks," I answer her, ducking to the side to snatch up my dropped bow, and get behind a low section of ductwork. It's not great cover, but it's better than nothing.

"Better than the heart!" I shout back at Vermilion. God, how can lizard girl be so judgy?

I can hear the fighting rolling on behind me as I get my next arrow out and ready. I wheel around and stand up, ready for another shot, just in time to see Sciromancer shoot up into the sky. "The hell?" I mutter. I lower my bow for now. "Thanks for the cover," I say to Jewels, with another nod to Sylphid. "Nice body slam," I add to Fission. Vermilion, she just gets a glare from me.

Then the roof collapses.

I'm more ready this time, if only because I have my footing. Still, it's a whole story, and I land hard. Going to be so many bruises after this. I get up and brush myself off, coughing. So much concrete dust.

<Platonicsolid> Straight. Up. Creepin'.
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 6+2 = 8


There's a lot going on, but Sylphid's doing talking for now, so...I can have a little look around.

What is being concealed here?

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at Feb 29, 2016 around 01:45

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Lab

Look. Listen. Feel the room. One of those things they drilled into me over and over. Didn't matter how honed *you* were if you ran into your other dancers, couldn't hit a mark or pick up a cue. You'd be surprised how many things go wrong in even the best productions. It's attention that keeps everything running smoothly.

So I look. Plenty of garbage and burned out equipment. I look where the CASTLE agents are, what they're getting - computer stuff, it looks like, nothing I can do much....wait.

Huh.

I peer carefully and, I hope, discretely, across the room, at that half-burned piece of paper. It looks like a notepad somebody - Sciromancer? - scribbled on in big letters. Misfits. GEMM. I file both away for future research. Might mean something, after all.

Definitely later, since things are getting incredibly, remarkably tense, fast!

"Avatar!" I shout, rushing in to grab her. I'm as surprised as she is when Foster sets off his little toy. An EMP grenade...an....anti-Avatar grenade. Doesn't that seem creepy?

Then again, Amy was about buy deep into some felony commission, so....

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Steranko Hall, Room 304

Now that...ugh, that was a train wreck. Sure we beat the bad guy, then the rest made us look like a bunch of rank amateurs.

Which...I suppose we are. Still don't have to act like it.

I'm too tired to really be pissed off. Maybe in the morning. I get back to the room and shuck off my costume and climb into bed.

But I can't sleep. Misfits and GEMM float in my head. It must mean something. It must, why can't I see it? Am I obsessing?

Morning comes. I'm up, I'm awake. I'm dragging a little. I start up the little electric kettle we're not supposed to have and head down the hall to shower. By the time I'm back the water's read, and I put tea in to steep while I throw on my jammies.

I'm careful not to make too much noise as I add some honey to my tea, drop into my desk chair and snap on my laptop. If I wake Gabi up after our early morning, I'll have to sleep with an eye open. Warm liquid soothes my throat and perks up my insides. I ponder last night as I stare out the window. The fight. The way the team worked....or didn't. My amazing shot. The way an eyeball bursts. Ugh. Do the big heroes get those images stuck in their head? There are other images I can keep in my head. Like...

My eyes dart open and I almost choke on my tea. "JEWELS!" I cry out.

poo poo, I probably just woke Gabi up.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2016 around 20:15

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Steranko Hall, Room 304

I rub my eyes once, then hop up out of my chair. I fish around and pull out a mug for Gabi. "I got it," I tell my roommate. Mug on the desk, then I pour carefully. Don't want to get chewed out about a spill again. "Seriously. There was this paper at the lab, I think the CASTLE guys missed it. Had two words. Misfits, and GEMM. I...."

I hold the mug out for Gabi, but pause. It's not really my story to tell. How can I tap dance around this?

"It's something Jewels was telling me about," I say, utterly flogging the passive voice. "GEMM was some secret military super soldier project. Probably cold war madness, like the goat psychic thing. Maybe...." I hummm. "Maybe Sciromancer thought it was a real thing and was looking for its output? Those don't ring any bells for you, do they?"

I sit back down, topping up my tea cup and then asking. "Was somebody here last night?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Steranko Hall, Room 304

I sip my teaa quietly. "Please," I tell Gabi. "Maybe I'm chasing phantoms, but....it feels important." I let out a breath and uncurl my legs. "I could just be grasping at straws, trying to prove myself." I walk over to the trash to clean out my tea bag and such. "Could have been bad dreams. That was an intense...mission?" Mission? I go on missions now? I know that seems right, even if the word strike me as wrong. "What the hell was up with Avatar?" I ask. "And Sylphid totally lost control," I add, making a face. "Going to get us all arrested before we can do any good."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Steranko Hall, Room 304

"I feel bad for her," I answer, finishing off my tea. "Mmmmm," I ponders. "Usual. Classes, some training after, then homework."

Gabi's looking at me in a super weird way. "What?" I ask, wiping at my face with a napkin. "What!? Crap, you've got an idea again, don't you?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Steranko Hall, Room 304

"Hey Sarah," I say, getting my hair back in a simple band and my shoes on. "Sure, I..." I jolt and twitch when she disappears. "drat," I mutter to Gabi. "Still gets me."

I hustle down the medical wing in about five minutes. I've been in hospitals before. A bunch, after my accident, and...this place is different. It's just a little too slick. Hospitals always have that layer of institutional grime on them. Not literally, but you can see that it's not as strictly shiny as it once was. The dings in thew all, the wear patterns on the floor. All the little things the staff did to make it functional, with the printout signs and the labels over things saying 'DO NOT USE' or whatever, because the thing it used to connect to is long gone.

The medical wing is the opposite. It's super sleek and shiny as if itw ere just out of the wrapping. There's screens mounted flush in the walls and none of the visible wires you'd usually see. Like something from a movie.

Which makes it doubly weird that I'm getting shuttled over by the psychiatrist to lie down on the bed. I'm surprised she doesn't speak with a German accent. Or have a beard.

"I...of course it was," I answer once I've laid down, my hands laced together on my stomach. "I was incredibly tired. We were out in the middle of the night, you know," I say, a slightly smug tone in my voice.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

Mrs. Louis....maybe isn't that good at her job, because that's a pretty transparent attempt to make me feel guilty, or say something....what, psychopathic? "It's not like I aimed for his throat," I answer. "And the cops probably would have just shot him dead, so you know..."I shrug faintly, shifting on the couch, crossing my ankles. "I did what I had to to protect my team and community. Not like I have some eye shooting fetish." I prop myself up on my arms and lean towards Mrs. Louis, trying to peek at the file. "What, what does Doring think, I'm crazy? I'm like the most well-adjusted one on the team," I say. "Me and Gabi."

It's been one of those weeks. Hi everybody!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

I nudge forward and steal my look, taking any distraction I can get a look. That's definitely my name, and....Leadership? I'm tempted to move that clipboard, but Mrs. Louis finishes her business just before I can do that.

Combined with her question, though? Yes, definitely I know what's going on.

I'm taking over! I try not to betray too much surprise. I'm supposed to be...human? Normal? But any human would be excited by that. I take a deep breath and close my eyes, thinking back.

"I'd have kept the team together, first," I say. "I have no idea why Vermilion was running behind. That should have been addressed first. Hell, we should have swung around and done some recon, before letting Sciromancer grab us like that." I pause, "Sorry about the plane," I say, although it's more Miss Doring's problem. "We were like...kids, in soccer," I say, "everybody rushing the ball, nobody playing their position. Even *I* was doing that," I say. "We weren't playing to our strengths, really." I crinkle my nose. "Or talking. We need better communications equipment, maybe some kind of position trackers. If we don't know what's going on...well, once parts of the team meet back up, assumptions just go nuts."

"Really, though?" I says. "More training. Everybody was pretty undisciplined. Weather we think Sylphid was right or not, she was in charge, and if we don't follow her lead...look, if everybody's half a beat off, that's not great, but it's better than everybody being a *different* half a beat off." I take a breath and put my hands in my lap. "We rushed in," I say. "We went out before we were ready because we had something to prove. More rehear...training," I say. "We need to build that trust. Without that..." I put my arms up and shrug.

"By the time we were out there, scattered, not sure what we could have done," I say. "It's not as if all the yelling helped. I didn't know Foster was some kind of double agent...nobody should have rushed on that, but I'm not sure Avatar would have cared."I make a face. "I feel bad for Sylphid. Sure she was unprepared, that's what I fault her for. After that...it was just chaos."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

I have to sit there for a tense minute, looking as Mrs. Louis shuffles her papers and drops the freaking bomb on me. I stare at her and I don't quite believe it.

"I...." I sputter. "Really?" I ask, but then realize a moment later that's absolutely not the right thing to say. "Thank you!" I says, perhaps too loud, jumping up from my seat on the couch. "I won't let you down," I say, taking the paper. "The team," I add, because I'm not sure Mrs. Louis really would care much one way or the other. "OR....anybody," I says, feeling nervous. Opening night jitters. Ugh.

I head for the door, at once elated and terrified. This is a huge step for me. A step up, a step out. It's like my first solo, except without the years and years of training. Can I actually do this? Can I? Miss Doring thinks so but she might be wrong. She was wrong about Sylphid. I can feel the cold sweat forming on my brow. I push the thoughts aside forcibly, temporarily soothed if not banished by a conviction that Miss Doring and Mrs. Louis can't both be horribly wrong.

My phone dings as I get towards the door.

@Jewels posted:

Want to go into town tonight?
Celebrate ‘successful’ first mission?

Huh. Not much to celebrate, but....well, we survived, and we did nab the bad guy in the end. I did also just give Mrs. Louis a song and dance about trust and teamwork and knowing each other. Soooo..

@Jewels posted:

Sure! Be fun! Invite all the Valks!

This'll be fun! That feeling lasts maybe six seconds after I get through the door.

"Gabi?" I ask, confused, baffled, lost. I stare at her listening "I...what, really?" I sputter. If this is some kind of leadership tests. "A...alright. Let's go check on him."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

I never get the chance to check on Sciromancer.

My arms lash out, and then finding nothing to support myself on, I drop to the floor, arms behind my head to protect myself. When it's over, I peek up. "Gabi, you okay?" I ask. I reach for my phone and text Jewels.

[quote="@Jewels"]
WTF!? OK?
[/jewels]

"We need to get back to our room, get our gear," I say. I squint in the glow of the emergency lights. "Unless...." I look around, trying to find something else I can use as a weapon.

<Platonicsolid> Assessing the situation.
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 11+1 = 12
What can I use as a weapon?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

I look around and make a face. Hope Miss Doring doesn't get upset at me for cracking apart a chair. A few quick smashes and I've got some makeshift escrima sticks. Won't be as good with hem as a bow, but hey, you use what you have.

I duck behind a desks and gesture for Gabi to join me. I put my sticks down long enough to get out my phone and text.

@Valkyries posted:

Mary - hair girl - going crazy in Medical center. Super upset. TIME TO RIDE!

So need a better catchphrase. Still, they should get the idea.

Traveling, but wanted to get in a basic post. And Seraphim hasn't posted yet anyway.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

Spend ten seconds trying to get the word out and things to go poo poo.

What's Mary saying? That sounds a lot like mind control or something. Hummm. I probably can't hit her directly, but....

One eye goes to an oxygen cylinder. Nope, burning down the whole place would be going a step too far. Then I see it, there it is one the wall.

A fire alarm!

And, even better, it's one of those 'break glass' kinds. I flip one of the chair legs over in my hand. "Ready?" I ask Gabi, and then I pop up, hurling the stick end over it.


Taking
MAkeshift Escrima Sticks using No Powers move, and burning a box to get to use +Mundane with Directly Engage
<Platonicsolid> Hitting the fire alarm from afar with Mundane.
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 7+2 = 9


It swirls through the air and smacks into the fire alarm, breaking the glass and hitting the button underneath. Emergency lights flash on and all the sprinklers in the ceiling go off, drenching the medical center.

Creating an opportunity for Seraphim

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

Hold it's attention? Riiiight. Because we're totally *not* doing that right now.

My first though is...obvious. Also not really going to work, since the running sprinklers will make it hard to set things on fire.

Backup's coming, though. Here I'd been all excited about some downtime. Going to have to earn that.

So, what can I do? What would even get a weird hair creature's attention? Scissors? I peek up from my hiding place to take a quick look.

<Platonicsolid> Assessing the situation
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 5+2 = 7
Asking How can we best end this quickly?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

No, no, I definitely can't set things on fire. As I sit up under the desk, I shift my weight a little, shoulder bumping a cord hanging from the top.

Ah-hah! "We'll shock her!" I hiss at Seraphim, putting on an intense smile. I grab the cord and consider how to cut it open...but that's probably not what I want to do. That would kill power for the whole lab, at least, and then we'd be in the dark.

"Sera?" I ask, nudging closer to Serphaim. "Sera? We need to get that...thing back to the lab," I say. "Get it away from Mrs. Louis and then zap it with a defibrillator. We just need to do that, so....let's lasso it," I suggest, pulling a spare extension cord out of a drawer, "Yank it and lead it."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

Gwen hefts the extension cord, making sure she has the ends. Something makes the back of her hair go up, and then she ducks under the table again, as a huge slab of ceiling drops down and lands atop the monster, and...

"Gabi!" Gwen calls. She jumps up, holding the cord in a loose loop. "The hell is it with you all!?" Gwen cries, more in exasperation than strict upset. "No ceiling is safe!" Gwen's hands move quickly, tying a chunk of debris to the extension cord to make an impromptu bola. She starts it spinning above her head and narrows her eyes, looking for where Vermillion is restraining the creature.

And....


....there!

<Platonicsolid> Directly engaging the hair monster.
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 6 = 6
<Platonicsolid> Boo.


"Gah!" curses Gwen.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

Everything collapses in in a rush of noise and dust. "What is it with us and collapsing buildings?" I ask, to nobody in particular. At least I made a good connect. "Woo!" I call out to Dragon.

As a piece of plaster falls near me, I jump a quick step back. "Definitely not good!" I call, agreeing with Vermillion. "Need to grab Mary, yeah," I say. "JEWELS!" I snap. "How much more you got in you?" I ask, taking a few steps up towards the hole. Mary's on the other side. "Here goes nothing," I mutter. I take a few steps back, then run forward and leap!

Unclear what I roll...mayb eI'm being stupid tonight. Just wanted to post to keep things moving.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

The whole building's shaking. I'm not going to get to Mary in time. No way. I turn and start booking for the door, but Vermilion catches up with me first, scooping me up. A gasp of surprise, but honestly, I'm relieved. She's tougher than I am, probably faster, and while Avatar's protesting and complaining, I'm looking, wondering how we deal with *this*.

Vermilion gets us out to the lawn and I land with a bit of a stumble. The building's still shaking. "Jewels?" I mutter, not really asking anybody in particular. Vermilion's off before I can stop her. "Be careful!" I wind up shouting. A heavy breath. I *am* only human. Even if I can fight, I can't hold up buildings. There must be something I can do.

"Av?" I ask my teammate. "Can you reach the rest of the team? Sylphid and Fission and and Shodan? They can help with the search for anybody trapped."

Been having a rather rough RL lately, mind has not been super in the game. Trying to get back in, hope this makes some sense!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: Medical Center

White. Pain. Better than if she'd been inside the building. Still distinctly not fun.

Coming back here seems strange. The very day Gwen got the position - the validation - she so craved had also been a day of tragedy.

Weird to be back. They'd had an impromptu break, while the school got put back together. It'd cut into summer break, and that meant she couldn't keep it from her parents. Ah, yes, that was a fun conversation. "Hi! I'm a team leader also the school blew up." Her parents had almost wanted to pull her right then and there, put this silly superhero thing behind her. A wave of cajoling and spinning put a stop to that, barely. Leaving now would prove she couldn't do it, it would be a black mark, and so on. Gwen's life had been so much about perseverance, the argument won the day.

Not that it won everybody over. Gwen knew some students had dropped out, others were pulled out by parents they couldn't convince. And Seraphim...poor Gabi. Gwen felt guilty about her more than anybody. She'd been a good roommate, a good person, probably a friend, as much as any of them. She'd seen Gabi just the once, getting loaded into a medevac, with a very stern Archangel lingering around. Intense guy. Creepy. Just seeing him look at her that way, as if he knew Gwen had been responsible, that it was all her fault! But it wasn't...was it? How could she convince him if she wasn't even sure herself? If Archangel thought she was reckless, or worse, weak, she'd never go anywhere as a superhero. That thought, even more than the guilt, has gnawed at and driven Gwen the past few months.

She stayed with Jewels the first week or so, but that wasn't viable long term. Back home it was, like the kind of summer break she'd never really had before. Her parents tried to get her to relax, slow down a little - Gwen had none of it. She wasn't going to lounge around or talk about her feelings. No, Gwen kept herself on a very strict training regimen, and tried to keep her teammates in too, those who were willing. Morning runs, afternoon strength training, stuff they could get away with at a public gym. On the roof they could slip in a bit of hand to hand and archery. No powers means you have to keep working it. If her parents could see her dedication...happy side bonus. She wasn't doing it *just* to show off.

"Hey Jewels," Gwen says. "Mmm, kind of. Carolin and I have a lot to figure out and go over. CASTLE...was kind of apologetic. Nice, even. They shared some of their investigation with us. All had to do with Miss Doring's old career in heroics. A group called the Misfits hit us to get back at her." Gwen rubs her eyes. "Really hoped we'd be doing actual *good* rather than stupid pissing contests," Gwen grumps. Her mood is nothing compared to Jewels and her little dark rain cloud. "How've you held up?" she asks, clapping her hands around Jewels'. This is a time for teambuilding, and Jewels needs some help, she can tell. "Sure," Gwen agrees. "Oh, there's this neat movie I read about, sort of a comedy about three vampires renting a house together. Could be fun?" she suggests.


How did I get no potential those issues? Oh well. Now Gwen is clearly in over her head!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

Gwen's watching Jewels and Avatar with a perfectly pleasant face. Eyes respectful, a slight smile. It would take a subtle eye to notice the creases of strain at the corners of her mouth.

"You? Grumpy? Never," Gwen teases, smirking, bemused, at Jewels.

"Five? Sure, we can..." Gwen starts fishing for her phone, a fish that never gets to finish out. Warp appears suddenly and she yelps. "Warp!" Gwen shouts, almost like trying to get a cat in line. "Did we?" Gwen asks of Warp, slowly prying the girl off her. "Break...we're not together," Gwen protests. It's obvious Jewels has designs on her - a flattering and not unappealing thought, especially whenever being the human amongst the godlings gets to Gwen.

And Avatar had to ruin it. Gwen's stomach starts to knot, a bit of sweat beating at her forehead. Feels like opening night - as ready as you think you are, you're still nervous, still like the first time.

"We..." Gwen looks at Jewels.

Letting it hang dramatically while we clarify rules.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School


"...We're giving it a shot," Gwen finally says, after a long, pregnant pause. "But this is the first time!" she emphasizes to Warp, before rumors get entirely out of control again.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

Jewels' face gets confused. What *is* she thinking about? Jewels is clearly prompting, looking for Gwen to defuse this awkwardness.

"I said it before all the...school exploding stuff," Gwen says, "The whole team should hang out more. I feel I don't know most of you well. We should put together something proper. Team A versus Team B ping-ping competition, or a trip to the theater," Gwen suggests. "If you have ideas, Amy, we could get together a...committee or something tomorrow, figure out something good that'd appeal to everybody."

Gwen hopes that will be enough to deflect. Was she too obvious about it? It's a no, but...Avatar's trying to horn in and Gwen's not about to acquiesce to that.
Provoke Avatar: 2d6+2 5

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

Awk...ward. The weirdness seeps across Gwen's face, which crinkles in response. Her lips curl in and she shifts her weight, and then...Jewels is summoning and calling out.

"That's *Shodan's*?" Gwen asks in genuine surprise. With a brief look at Jewels, she strides off towards the other half of her team. If Avatar wants to be weird...she can do it on her own time.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



Gwen

Penciled in?

PENCILED IN!?

Gwen's misses a step and almost stumbles from that. She thought it was hers, in the bag! Miss Doring had seemed so confident, didn't say there'd be issues.

How to figure this? Maybe....

Gwen puts on a smile and moves somewhat closer to Sylphid. "If you can help us track that portal, our teams can handle it. You can rely on us," she says.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

Shodan's rambling on about her ship. That's....nice. It does look pretty impressive, and I'm sure it'll be useful. I'm not really listening to her, though. The technical bits aren't of interest, and I'm more interest in what Jewels just said.

"That is so not true!" I blurt, stepping away from her and turning to face her at the same time. "Miss Doring has Mrs. Lewis evaluate me and everything! Why are you lying?"

<Platonicsolid> Rolling to provoke Jewels and call out her lying.
<Platonicsolid> !roll 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 9+1 = 10


My voice sounds more hurt than I intended. drat, why does this make me so upset?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School

I clench my hands and feel my breath drawing in. Jewels is making it up. I know she is. That's probably what she was up to the whole time, trying to sweeten me up to jump in line ahead of me.

Instead of going off on Jewels this instant I look at Shodan. "Must suck knowing you got everything handed to you," I shoot at her.

I'm shaking. "Screw you all," I snap, wheeling and heading towards the school. I'm assuming it's laid out the same, but either way, I'd rather wander the halls than stay with these jerks.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School Foyer

I'm not running. I'm not. I'm moving with purpose, that's what Miss Crenshaw always called it. I've just gotten to the new main doors of the school and gone into the foyer. It's spacious, wood paneled, with a marble floor that sets up just a bit of an echo. It's quiet, not enough students are back yet. I should go to the gym, work some of my anger and embarrassment out.

Jewels comes running up to me, catching me just inside the door. She's...apologizing? Sort of. "Give me some credit," I say, "I'm not a moron, it's pretty obvious you've wanted the top spot and so you made stuff up to take it." I groan, "Bad enough, and then Shodan starts....being her," A big huff, a heavy sigh, and I wave my hand dismissively.

Jewels can probably calm Gwen down by either admitting to her ambitions (pft) or at least admitting confusion around the whole thing. More generally, encouraging Gwen and acknowledging her skill and hard work would take the sting out of Shodan's comments and make her more forgiving.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School Foyer

Just being a bitch. IT's true, Shodan was, but...doesn't mean it didn't hurt. I don't particularly want to admit that to Jewels, though. Just like I don't want admit... "It's stupid," I say, turning as she squeezes my shoulder. "Fighting over who gets the shiny badge or whatever the team leads get. I know it's petty and doesn't matter, not really. I still...I still want it, and having it taken away from me, that hurts. You all have these superpowers and these dramatic backstories and everything. I'm just..." I shrug, hugging myself lightly. "Just a girl, you know, a silly human to blew out her knee and still wants to try to keep up with the gods."

I turn further, so I'm facing Jewels, and I frown, looking down. "I think so, maybe," I say. "I...I guess you need this," I admit, hard as that is to say. I look up at her with a smile.

Then my phone dings.

"H...hold on," I say, and fish it out of my pocket.

Shodan to Bravura posted:

K, only going to say this once. I'm legit sorry for what I said - I got rekt in our last fight, not you. You're wrong about me having been given everything though - do you have any idea how much time I spend refining my gear and researching upgrades or new tech? At least you're good with a weapon, right? You'd be even better if you weren't using a garbage bow and joke arrows, by the way - I could build better stuff in like, an hour, easy. Would that make things up to you?

I try not to look too surprised. Okay, I am. Really surprised. Shodan? Is she feeling okay? I type out quickly.

Bravura to Shodan posted:

Accepted. The apology and the offer.


Somewhat slow thanks to work and the holiday.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: | Location: School Foyer

"Sure," I mutter. I never would have guessed Jewels were such a huger...

...thinking back on it later, I'll know that was the tip off. "Woah, woah," I say, taking a step back as Jewels puts her lips on mine. "What...what're you doing?" I ask, my voice shaking and my stomach knotting.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: School Foyer

"That's..." I sputter. How do I tell her nobody's ever said that to me before?" That's a lot to lay on somebody," I say. I can see the look of hurt on her face and frown. That hurts more than I expected. I reach out and take her hands. "I didn't say it was bad," I say, and then push up against her, kissing back, pressing until I get her against the wall.

Definitely counts as a makeout, so Gwen has made out with a teammate! Marking potential and crossing off the goal

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: School Foyer

"GOD drat IT WA...." I start to yell. drat it, I was having a moment!

Not one meant to last, sadly. I let out a sigh and nuzzle into Jewels. "Later?" I offer. "Tonight? Date?"

Then....*VWORP*. We're in the new War Room.

I can tell it's the war room because it's got a big meeting table in the center. Everything's bright and glossy, like somebody blended a ship's bridge with an Apple store. Surfaces are either shiny chrome or smooth white or glass, displays wink with updates on events and team statuses and location. The only thing we're missing is a bunch of people moving about purposefully in jumpsuits.

The table has chairs around it, big, high things that look commanding and plush. And...did somebody put logos on them? I eye them, circling, and find one with an arrow head. Guess that's me. I stay standing, though, hand on the top of the chair.

I watch, wide eyed, as this Cerberus guy makes his demands. Taking over the city. Threatening us all. No...just...humans. I steal a glance at Jewels, then focus on the screen as he finishes.

"He," I say in a grave tone. "Needs a serious rear end kicking."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: School Foyer

"Strategic and legal doesn't mean not an rear end kicking," I say, some annoyance seeping in. I'm not a loose canon, and I don't appreciate being treated like that. I cross my arms and look at the screen, where the news reports chatters on.

"We need to know more," I agree. "Shodan and...a few others should do research. Nobody..." I take a step forward, eyeing the screens. I turn around, gesturing up at the screens, where Cerberus' speech is roll-under for a set of talking heads. "This guy has *politics*" I say. "He's got an agenda. He has to have m...confederates," I say. "And how many people really know how to weaponize S-97?" I ask. "No," I say to Lovelace with a faint smile. "It's not an assault. It's a puzzle. We probably have enough of the pieces, out there in databases and files and..." I tap my chin. "Shodan would be good at that," I say, striding back to the table. "Some of us should track down Sciromancer. Cerberus would have had to know somebody had S-97. I'd bet that means he at least talked to Sciromancer, even if they weren't working together."

"You're going to have to give us access to everything," I tell Lovelace. "Can't hold back if you want us to put it together."

I look around at the half-empty room. "poo poo, where *are* the rest of them?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: Valhalla? Do we have a good name for the base?

I'm about to speak when Jewels just lays it on the line. In a surprisingly supportive way. I'm actually so surprised that I just blink and open and close my mouth a few times.

"I..." I humph. "Good," I say. I look at Jewels, almost apologetically. We'd talked, but...nobody told Lovelace. I almost feel like I'm backing out on things, but at the same time, I do want this chance. I tell myself that explaining it all to Lovelace would take too long. We need to get what we need anyway.

"Make it happen," I insist. "We need each other," I say, reaching over and putting on a serious smile towards Lovelace. "None of us are doing this alone."

I look over to Fission and Jewels. "We need to gear up and get out there and help," I say. "We need to get out there."

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at Jun 17, 2016 around 02:26

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: Valhalla? Do we have a good name for the base?

"Good," I tell Jewels with a faint smile and a little nod. Is she waiting for me to fail, or just buttering me up to get....

Jewels answers her phone. Part of me wants to be annoyed, but another part...I get it. I fiddle with my own, debating if I should call my family, tell them to get out of town. Could they? No, he'd probably enjoy killing them just to make an example of them. If he's not going to already, because they're my family and....my stomach's knotting with a cold hand around it.

I can't hear the conversation. Jewels looks stricken, intense, and I cross my arms. Impatient. I'm about to remind her about the city and the madnman in whose clutches it rests when she gives me the tip. I look over to Fission. I can trust him, right? Can Jewels? That's her decision, not mine, so...

"Alright," I says, clapping my hands together and doing my best camp counselor. "Everybody gear up, we'll meet on the roof in ten!" Without Lovelace, when Jewels can decide to fill Fission in and she can tell us what the heck is going on.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: The Old School

Geared up, ready to go, I hustle the roof. My costume feels good, not too heavy to move just heavy enough to protect, and give me some comfort. Won't protect me from everything, I know, but....might keep me going a bit longer.

"I've got a trick for that," I say. I pull pause and kneel, swinging off my quiver and pulling out something special. It's a long, heavier than normal shaft, with two prongs at the end where the arrow head should be "I hope we got this weighted right. Hadn't even had a chance to test it. Should deliver a nice shock to anybody it hits, enough to knock a flyer down out of the sky. If it works," I add with a heavy breath. "We were going to try it in the training room. Guess no test like a field test." I slide the shock arrow back in, the bright blue vanes standing out among all the other white ones.

--- In the Jet ---

"Warp, can you get us down to the surface? Then you," I tap Outstrider's shoulder, "Can stay in the air and give us some extra eyes and sensors?" I pause. Are we lucky enough to have weapons on this thing? That's...probably too much to hope for, and really, I don't want it to come to that. We're going to go and pick up that box and get out. "Jewels?" I ask. "Broken window behind the school doesn't seem to narrow it down. You recognize any features from here?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: | Location: The Old School

I try to put on a supportive look, a slight smile, friendly but still confident, not too gleeful or anything. I pat Fission's shoulder. "We're a team. We'll watch out for you."

Warp grabs me and I VWORP out onto a rooftop. A little wave and then Warp's back to the plane. Keeping Outstrider and Warp together will let Warp deploy quickly if we need her to, and be an escape route for Outstrider, if things go really crazy. It's going to come to that...is it?

I watch the little black speck circle the area. They'll keep a watch for us from the outside. I put a foot up on the ledge to boost myself, and lean over, looking down at Jewels. Jewels and a girl. From a distance they look very similar, so....

My stomach twists as the girl leans into Jewels, sobbing, it seems.

Which is, at least, better than the stabbing in my heart when Outstrider radios in. poo poo. What could it be? Other supers? Helicopter loaded with soldiers? Ready as we are, I'm not eager to find out.

"Outstrider! Try to get a lock on whatever it is so we know what to expect!" "Jewels? Time to go. Fission, can you meet up with Jewels around the...northeastern corner? Warp can drop in and grab you all there." I hope Warp can carry three people at once. "I'll keep a watch until you're all ready to go." I pull out an arrow and hold it loosely against my bow. Draw when I'm ready - I can't hold it very long, I'm not in the movies - and my eyes dart around, looking for anything coming in Outstrider may have missed.

<Platonicsolid> Assessing the skies
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 7+1 = 8
I think this is the "What here is the biggest threat" is the right interpretation here. Gwen's looking for anything approaching that could be dangerous.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008




Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Savior +2 | Superior +1 | Mundane +2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: | Location: The Old School

Crap crap crap crap crap! The hell is that? It's huge, so it's clearly not good. Giant robots are never good - no, seeing this one makes a tingle go up my spine and my stomach knot up.

"Warp, christ!" I snap. "poo poo, it's on us. Jewels, you might have to fight them off until Warp gets you. I see...maybe a half dozen? Not sure if they're robots or humans. WARP! GRAB THEM!" I scream, my voice wavering and my energy getting beyond me. I'm starting to feel tense, swallowing hard.

And here I am so what can I do? I pull my bow back and take an aim at that opening chest cavity. I take aim at the shiniest thing there. Maybe it's a relay or something and I'll get lucky. If nothing else, I'll draw attention.

Whomp Whomp. Marking potential.
<Platonicsolid> Shot on the Gundam
<Platonicsolid> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Platonicsolid, 5-1 = 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008



And that's when the makeouts started....

So not sure Joshie is coming back. Was fun, all!

  • Locked thread