Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior +1 | Superior -1 | Mundane 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: None

It was very, very lucky for me that Shodan caught everyone's attention in a vicegrip during that fight with her liberal use of explosives. Meant that nobody noticed me doubling over in pain, hunched up in the blasted out ruins of a building while I hacked up bloody and disturbingly solid phlegm. The Myriad whispered to me that it was nothing to be worried about, just the purging of weakness, to make me stronger later... which is bullshit, of course. It's them loving terraforming my body to better suit them. Or our body, I guess, those were the 'terms' I agreed to.

It's strange, but that bothers me less than other people finding out. I know what they'd do - they'd be worried, petrified, and then outraged that I'm not as worried or petrified about my impending doom. If there's one thing this school's taught me, it's that superheroes are pretty much just like everyone else when it comes down to brass tacks, so I don't feel as bad making assumptions that they're just as prone to being worriers as my old schoolfriends.

Still, it's certainly true that time's ticking away, and I don't know when I might lose my chance with Jewel, but... even despite that, it's... harder than you think to work up that kind of courage! I barely know her, and she's some superpowered gladiator child soldier or something, and I'm dying! That's not exactly good relationship material, now, is it? If only it was Shodan that I found cute, I can barely get her to leave me alone - unless she's busy sulking over getting grounded for blowing up a chunk of the city, of course...

Luckily, like I said, nobody noticed my problem, and I'm good at playing pretend - another habit I've picked up from my childhood. So business went as usual - until of course, the Sciromancer pulled this crap. The guy's a nut. If the Myriad had found him instead of me, he'd be worshipping them like a God, I'm pretty sure. With everyone else charging directly after him, I elect for a different approach. Hopping out of the canopy-less plane, I head for the nearest rooftop, limbs hardening with shock-absorbent nanites to break my fall - and the concrete roof I land on. Which is fine! Because I'm letting the Myriad reach out with their inhuman senses, to search for electrical or mechanical equipment. I really doubt that the Sciromancer doesn't have a trap here for us, after all...

[2:24pm] Nown: Hmm. Unleashing my Powers
[2:24pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[2:24pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 5+2 = 7
Extending my Senses. On a hit, you do it. On a 7-9, mark a condition or the GM will tell you how the effect is unstable or temporary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

It's a good thing that I am - again - alone, so nobody can see me figure out firsthand that using my powers that way leads to the result of me doing my best '70 year old chain smoker' impression. Once I've recovered, of course, I forge ahead - there are other people in here! Whether they're hostages or enemies, they need to be found! The battle going on behind and above me is of no concern, I'm just assuming the others have it handled while I go attend to this!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

I just see red. Like, literally, the Myriad cover my eyes and I see the world through a red filter, and him - the Archivist, outlined, a target I have to go for - I need him and whichever of his inventions can stave off the Singularity. I don't even notice the roof collapse, I'm already running forward, the skin around my arms turning black as the nanites focus there. This has to be quick, before the rest of his goons get a chance to draw a bead...

[1:16pm] Nown: Directly Engaging The Archivist
[1:16pm] KittenPhone: always be stupid in teengames
[1:16pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[1:16pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 10+2 = 12
Trading Blows,
●Taking something (Clues towards the item I need to defeat the Singularity) from them.
● Surprising the opposition.

First, I drive a punch into his stomach. Then I grab him by the neck, as the fingers of that hand unwrap into pitch-black tendrils laid against his skin. It's a real rush, bringing a devilish grin to my face. It's not just the adrenaline that energizes me; I'm literally drawing energy from him to bolster what I'm already giving to the ravenous Myriad, and memories to try and find my singleminded goal...

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Afraid

I barely even have time to register the sound of his detonated grenade before it hits me like... like nothing I've felt before, and nothing I ever want to feel again. Nanites flee the pulse, and my muscles spasm under the sudden stress. Even where they weren't concentrated, the nanites are affected, and my legs turn to jelly. I collapse, throat too tight and stiff to even scream. One simple device and I'm defenceless, back to just being the girl I was before the Myriad. More than the pain, the thought of that is terrifying

Taking the Condition 'Afraid'

"Don't l-let them!" I manage to gasp out, once the bomb's effects begin to wear off. "H-he's a villain! He has to be stopped!"

I still don't think Avatar would open up based on Vermilion's Comfort/Support roll? 'don't touch her' doesn't really give much reason for her to open up, it feels more like a Defend to me, idk

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Physically, I'm feeling better. There's still a slight tingle in my limbs, even after all this time, but that's /nothing/ compared to the immediate effects of the EMP bomb.

Mentally...? I'm not so hot. You know, with the whole 'being effortlessly taken down by the one person I need to interrogate to stop the creature that's going to make my premature end even more premature' thing? And the inevitable chewing out I'm going to get for Miss Doring for hitting the supervillain because he had a badge and a uniform like that makes him okay.

When Jewels pats me on the back, I jump - just a bit - I wasn't expecting that, too busy thinking to myself, and... honestly I'm just a bit jumpy right now. Getting taken down effortlessly will do that to you, I guess. Still, don't think she needs to know how bad that messed me up. Last thing I want is for her to feel sorry for me. So when I reply, I try to keep my voice level and flat.

"Eh? I'm... well, I've had worse. Don't worry about me." ...which is an absolutely fantastic thing to say if I'm aiming to never get anywhere with her, I realize after I said it. But... argh, I'm not sure how to fix that.

Maybe that combination of being scared enough to jump at shadows and messing up what should have been a softball in getting anywhere with Jewels is why I'm irritable enough to snap at Sylphid while she and Jewels are arguing. "And you did such a good job, 'leader'. Congratulations on letting the bad guys take all the credit for the team's work, and siding with them over us. You'll get a gold star for that."

[08:07am] Nown: Provoking Sylphid
[08:07am] Nown: !roll 2d6-1
[08:07am] Krysmbot: Nown, 9-1 = 8
Trying to get Sylphid to admit standing up for CASTLE was a mistake.
If she does, add a team to the pool.

...okay, and maybe, if I'm being honest, I might be trying to get into Jewels' good graces here. This is not the time to talk about how I feel, but maybe after we're done taking our lumps from Ms. Doring... maybe if I feel better, then.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2016 around 17:39

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior +1 | Superior 0 | Mundane -1

I'm completely silent as we keep walking, freezing up like I've seen a ghost. Which... I might have. This is a hallucination, right? It has to be, why is nobody else reacting? I don't respond to Sylphid's criticism or Jewels' support, just watching the Singularity do what... she's... doing, petrified. Petrified because a part of me wants it.
Taking the label change

I only snap back to reality when adults start 'sssh'ing us, and I notice the... I hesitate to call them trophies, but memorials that Ms. Doring has on the walls leading to her office. Signs of all the villains she's beaten, all the deeds she's done; signs that she's a real hero, not just someone trying to be...

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior +1 | Superior 0 | Mundane -1
Potential: 0+1/5 | Conditions: Afraid

I'm not enough of an rear end in a top hat to talk poo poo about Sylphid to her own mother when she's not around... besides, whether or not she's talking poo poo about me to Ms. Doring, I'm not going to be like that. Hell, it might even make me look better compared to her! Plus, talking about someone else means not focusing on what I saw Singularity do, and what I want to do.

"Yeah... she's fine. Just under pressure. Trying too hard to be perfect, stuff like that," I say as I get up. "Don't worry about it."

[1:40pm] Nown: Comfort Ms. Veras
[1:40pm] Nown: !roll 2d6-1
[1:40pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 5-1 = 4
Marking Potential

Taking a deep breath, I head into Miss Doring's office. She'll understand, I'm sure of it. She'll know that there's right and there's wrong and sometimes you have to do the right thing even if it's not what's 'correct'. But I don't speak first, once I've taken a seat. Whatever Miss Doring needs to say should probably be said first, right?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +1 | Mundane -1
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Afraid

Another line from Singularity that cuts to the bone - she's right, again. I tried to be nice, but... that's just what other people did to me when they tiptoed around the truth, all patronizing, handling things with kids' gloves out of fear that she'd break under a few words! I clench my fists as Singularity disappears, and look over at Sylphid who... was already looking at me.
Accepting Label Shifts

What does she want? Someone weak to boss around and fawn over her leadership, soothe her ego and tell her she's right? Because she sure won't find that in me, especially since she hasn't earned anything of the sort.
If she wants (more) Influence on Avatar, she needs to prove that Avatar should respect her.

Gritting my teeth, I stare straight ahead, at Miss Doring. Is she going to speak up soon? Or is she waiting for us to make the first move? Fine. Fine, I'll make it. I'll stop lying, I'll tell the truth, just like Singularity says, just like she's right about!

"I did nothing wrong, Miss Doring. I attempted to subdue a supervillain I encountered while searching the labs for anyone else - since the other Valkyries were already beating the Sciromancer, but Sylphid defended him, letting him get away with the Sciromancer too." There. Said it. I sit with my arms folded, glowering, and I hear the Myriad's applause in my inner ear.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Again, I stay silent - both because Ms. Doring clearly isn't in any mood to listen instead of lecture, and because The Archivist is dead, and he was, according to the Myriad, the key to stopping Singularity. If there's a Plan B, they'd better hurry up and tell me what it is, because right now I'm not seeing it! The panic from that far outweighs Ms. Doring's stupid strike force idea, makes it seem trivial and meaningless in comparism - and frankly it is a horrendous idea in the best of times, let alone right now. This is going to go horrendously wrong on so many levels, but so long as Sylphid gets to call herself 'leader', Jewels gets an out and Shodan gets her lab, nobody else seems to care!

Myriad, please say something, tell me what to do, I don't know what to do next!

Are they waiting for me to say something? Or are they fine with me remaining silent? What would Singularity do? (I can't believe I'm asking that, but she's not... scared like I am)

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Why... is she speaking to me again? I called on the Myriad, not her! But good advice is good advice, regardless of the source; and hers rings true again, much as I hate to admit it.

Speaking up to try and stop Jewels' Bravura plan now would be a disaster, she'd only resent me for that. But what I heard is true; I have to stand up for myself, have to be proactive if I want to actually achieve anything. Not just with Jewels, but with this team.

Well... if we're ending this meeting, I will say one thing to Ms. Doring, whether the others are leaving or not. "Having had time to think on all this, I'd like to present my suggestions about the strikeforce later today - if that's not a problem?" There, it's nice and neutral, which Ms. Doring will appreciate after Jewels' outburst, and it undermines Sylphid's authority, shows I'm not going to just accept her as leader. I've been silent through most of this meeting, so she'll probably want to hear my thoughts, too.

I could rant and rave right now about why there's no reason for her to be leader, she hasn't shown any capacity or capability for it, and nobody has any reason to respect or trust her to lead... but it would be a mistake, again, to do that right here and right now. Better to be proactive, set things up, but set them up for the right moment.

Once I have her answer, whether that's spoken or just a nod or shake of the head, I'll leave. I have a lot more to do now. Plan for what to do now the Archivist's gone, plan for Jewels, plan for the team, plan for how to get rid of Singularity, despite her 'helpfulness'...

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 1+1/5 | Conditions: Afraid

My side of the room with Jewels is pretty... colourful. I may have overcompensated a bit, but when you've spent most of your life in a sterile environment, you get to make up for it a bit, right? The bed has an outer space-themed blanket and sheets - a jumble of all kinds of colourful planets and rocketships. If I was sharing a room with anyone except Jewels, it would probably get me teased - not that I care about that, anyway!

My wardrobe is similarly colourful - even if its clothing is limited; I mean most of the time I just wear a vest and sweatpants and let the Myriad fill in the rest, nanomachines so thick under my skin it's basically clothing. Besides, in a fight I'm not going to weep over having generic vest+sweatpants combo get torn up, they're nice and cheap and expendable. But for more relaxed situations, I'll totally rock some bright warm long-sleeved clothes!

Aside from the bed and wardrobe there's a bright orange plastic 'boomerang' desk - with a games console at it, and a small bookshelf appended to the side. No computer - if I do need that, I know where the Myriad ship is, and frankly after using the computer there, there's nothing on the market that doesn't feel... off by comparism. Maybe Shodan could make something better, I dunno, but for the time being I'm fine just going to the ship if I really need to use a computer, and just chilling out in my room otherwise. I will need to head to the ship soon, if only to try and figure out a Plan B with the Archivist's technology now that the man himself is gone, though...

Finally, from that, I have a little minifridge, stocked full of snacks - one sorta-downside of being the host to the Myriad is what they've done to my metabolism; I need to eat a lot more to account for their needs too... but that, again, isn't really a downside; it just means I eat a bunch more calorie content than I normally would, and that's something I'm totally fine with.

So yeah, that's my side. As I take out a chocolate bar and start crunching on it, I glance over to Jewels, staring at her thoughtfully. What does she see in Bravura anyway? What does she think of me? Those are the kind of things I'm thinking about as I stare probably a bit too obviously.

[4:45pm] Nown: Pierce Jewels’ Mask
[4:45pm] Nown: !roll 2d6-1
[4:45pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 6-1 = 5
Marking Potential

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Afraid, Angry

It's fine... I try to tell myself as I feel my blood pressure rise. It's going to be fine. I delayed for a reason, to find the perfect opportunity. Getting angry isn't going to help with that... but that cold logic isn't enough to douse the fire rising inside me. I have to stop this date. Now. While this portion of the Myriad's powers are active, I look at Jewels, look through Jewels.

[11:17pm] Nown: Assessing the Situation
[11:17pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+1
[11:17pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 11+1 = 12

What here can I use to stop Jewels from going out? What here is the biggest threat (to convincing Jewels to not go out) I take +1 to acting on those answers

Wait... wait, she said something to me. She said something and I completely missed it. I blink, and try to think of something neutral-sounding.

"Mm? ...sure." That'll work, right?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Head into town? With the whole team? There's no way that can go wrong... But really, it's a simple decision. I go, I get to be part of 'the team' and get in between Jewels and Bravura. I don't go, I'm on the sidelines again, alone and forgotten.

"Of course. When and where exactly are we going?" I get up from my chair, to select a bright yellow sunflower-motif long sleeved shirt to fit over my vest. Since this is a social occasion and all...

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

(Haven't changed my stats for this post since this is in response to Jewels' post from before end of issue)

"...thanks." I don't know what I expected her to say, but I didn't expect something so forthright! It almost makes me feel like I... do owe her something. Not in the bad way like before I became Avatar, where I was expected to feel grateful for people's insipid kindness, but... between the honest compliment and support and the fact that I am plotting to keep her and Bravura apart... So what do I owe her? More than just saying thanks, more than another meaningless gesture... Maybe I owe her the truth I've only told a few people so far? Yes - she's not someone I need to be afraid of, I don't need to be afraid at all! She's right, I did the right thing, and I'm bold enough to tell her the full reason why!

"...It wasn't just because he was a villain," I say. "That was part of it, sure, but he has something important that I need. I mean... He has-" and that's when the lights black out and the explosion hits!
Clearing Condition: Afraid

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Savior 0 | Superior +2 | Mundane -2
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry

Almost as soon as the lights go out, I'm conferring with the Myriad to try to figure out what happened, where everyone is, who's attacking us, but that doesn't get far before I see the light of Jewels' phone snuffed out, engulfed by some flailing screeching thing. My left forearm is already shifting in shape, flatter, thinner, sharper, more blade than limb as I rush into the tangled melee! "Get off her!" I shout as I stab the thing, and almost immediately start trying to drain energy from it!

[5:59pm] Nown: Directly Engaging Mary
[5:59pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[5:59pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 11+2 = 13

Trading Blows; Taking Something (Vitality) from Mary; Creating an opportunity for Jewels!

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry

Being slammed into Jewels drives the air out of my lungs, leaves me winded and gasping - and that's before the two of us are flung through several walls. The Myriad could protect me from harm, but in all the speed and confusion, I can't move the nanomachines where they need to be to shield me. So I lie in a bruised, bleeding heap, and might have a concussion from that, too.

[1:49pm] Nown: Taking a Powerful Blow
[1:49pm] Nown: !r 2d6+1
[1:49pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 10+1 = 11
I lose control of my powers in a terrible way

Too late, the Myriad surge to the defence of their host, and when defence is impossible, they move right to retaliation, before I can even consciously command anything! My limbs rise without my consent, as my still dazed brain barely hears what Jewels said; and the nanomachines erupt in a way I can't control, pour forth in a surge of scalpel-sharp blades, with no restraint or ability to tell friend from foe.

[1:51pm] Nown: Unleashing my Powers
[1:51pm] Nown: !r 2d6+2
[1:51pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 10+2 = 12
[1:51pm] Nown: loving let me fail once in a while, geez, I want potential too ;___;
Overcoming the obstacle of Mary's hair still existing. If you think Directly Engaging is a better fit, then it would be the same result, and I'd pick 'resist/avoid their blows' and 'take something from them' - i.e. their ability to fight back. I just felt that Unleashing Powers worked better as a result of the last roll.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 2/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

I try, hard as I can, to force the Myriad back, but it's like we're completely separate - or like a failsafe has been tripped, and I can't turn them off any more than whoever set the sprinklers off could just force the water back. My vision goes red - completely, everything I see marked as a hostile threat, and the nanomachines attack without direction. They're trying to protect me, I know, but that doesn't stop me screaming at them to stop, shouting over the endless chatter in my head, and the gleeful laughter of SIngularity as they lash out at Jewels.

Thank God that Vermilion arrives. The part of me that's alarmed that she can restrain me is drowned out by the part that's beyond thankful that there's someone here who can stop this. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't-wasn't, I, I couldn't stop it!" I almost bawl, and that breaks the cycle, silences the alarms ringing in my head, stops the Myriad from continuing to attack everything they deem to be a threat. Speaking of which...

"J-jewels? Jewels, are you okay?" I try to look past Vermillion, at the girl I just attacked, hurt, probably destroyed any chances of friendship with. "Jewels, I'm sorry, p-please you have to believe me, I didn't try to..."

[2:05pm] Nown: Gonna be salty if I succeed in this roll
[2:05pm] Nown: Comfort/Support Jewels
[2:05pm] Nown: !r 2d6-2
[2:05pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 9-2 = 7
[2:05pm] Nown: motherFUCKER
Mark potential, clear a condition, or shift labels if you open up to me.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 2+1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

"Right... right..." I mutter, distracted. I don't feel better, but I don't feel worse after Jewels tries to reassure me, either - even if it included a hug! Once I'm let go, and while I'm making sure the Myriad's autonomous self defence protocols are under control and aren't about to make things worse again, I listen to what Vermilion says. She was the one who saved this situation, after all, and it... hurts a little to hear her talk about herself like that.

"...whatever you are, you're not a monster," I say. "Monsters don't save people." I stare at her as I say it, thinking, scanning. There has to be something more than just her appearance to make her consider herself a monster... right?

[3:33pm] Nown: Piercing Vermilion’s Mask
[3:33pm] Nown: !roll 2d6-2
[3:33pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 7-2 = 5
Marking potential. For the record, if the roll had been successful I would have picked 'How could I get your character to have a better self-image'

But can't spend too long on that... We have to deal with this hair-creature situation first, and Jewels is already taking off, so I follow as quick as I can, with Myriad-bolstered legs!

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at Apr 5, 2016 around 22:13

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 3/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

While Vermillion takes care of making an exit, I can tell that Jewels needs help - just one of these things was trouble for us to beat before, and now there are four? There's no way she can hold them all off herself, and besides... this might make up for my mistake before - or make things worse, a cynical voice in my head says. Regardless, I can't stand around and do nothing, and there's no way I'm leaving Jewels by herself, so I wade into the fray.

Besides, the last thing I touched one of those things, I felt it was confused and afraid. Maybe if I do so again I can find out more, find out something that will help us stop them once and for all! So I don't use the nanoblades this time, just a hardened fist from an onyx-black arm, reinforced with layers of nanomachines, stronger than steel! I punch into the tangled mass, and focus on draining from them!

[12:43pm] Nown: Directly Engage
[12:43pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[12:43pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 7+2 = 9
Taking something from them - some information I can use to our advantage later

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 3+1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

There! Just like that! We just need to change direction, and we can end this. With a grin on my face, I turn to Jewels and say:

"I've found out where the source is, we just need to go-"

And then the ground falls out from under us.

[06:14am] Nown: Taking a Powerful Blow
[06:14am] Nown: !roll 2d6+1
[06:14am] Krysmbot: Nown, 4+1 = 5
Marking potential

Luckily, I react in time, hardening my legs to absorb the shock and impact, leaving a small crater in my wake. Very lucky indeed - out of the corner of my eye, I see that Jewels tried to catch me, but completely missed! drat, how hard does Vermillion hit, if she took out the whole floor like that!?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 4/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

Maybe it's because I'm distracted by what has to be Mary, or maybe I'm second-guessing myself after the last fight led to the Myriad going out of control and hurting Jewels, but I hesitate just too much, forcibly keep my powers down just too much, and I'm not able to project to protect the nanomachine armour needed to protect against the next blow... but luckily, Vermillion is there to do what I couldn't. "Thanks," I quickly gasp as I let my vision settle. "...That way," I add, pointing towards the hole in the wall, where I saw the Mary-sounding monster flee. "It's Mary, we have to get to her. That's the only way to stop this! Jewels! Bravura! This way!" I already head towards where I saw Mary fleeing, keeping a better grasp of my surroundings this time so I don't get blindsided again!

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at Apr 29, 2016 around 02:18

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 4/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry

"Wait, Vermillion!" I shout as Dragon carries me and Bravura away, but I have enough sense not to try and break free of her grasp as we go - not to endanger her and Bravura too. That's about as far as my sense goes before it's met and surged over by anger. "I don't need saving! Let me go! Stop treating me like this! I can take care of myself - I'm just as strong as you or Jewels! I don't need someone like you trying to protect me!" My voice warps, cracks, as I get angrier; Myriad voice modulator assisting in that.

Mary's getting away, when she was just in reach! I could have gotten her, made up for my mistakes today, but instead I got snatched away like I was still 'Amy Lee', the crippled girl who needed to be protected at all costs, who couldn't do anything without some self-righteous busybody getting in the way... It pisses me off, and the Myriad respond in kind, surging and rippling across my skin in jagged waves.

[4:57pm] Nown: Provoking Vermilion to stop treating Avatar like she needs her help.
[4:57pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[4:57pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 6+2 = 8
[4:58pm] bacon_flaps: aww...yiss?
Do it or mark a Condition~

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 4+1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Burn: 2

Idiot, she just doesn't get it! Just doubles down on being a patronizing bitch before she flies off. I should have kept my mouth shut, sucked it up and not even mentioned it. There isn't any way she wouldn't consider herself to be in the right. loving typical; she hasn't spent her youth being treated like some porcelain doll, so she wouldn't see anything wrong with being so patronizing... and it's not like I have the time to give her my life's story in a circumstance like this - not that she'd give a poo poo anyway.

I glance over at Bravura to see if she feels the same way as Vermillion obviously does...

[11:06am] Nown: Piercing Bravura’s Mask
[11:06am] Nown: !r 2d6-2
[11:06am] Krysmbot: Nown, 5-2 = 3
Marking Potential, taking the Advance 'Burn + 3 Flares' from the Nova Playbook. Taking the Flares 'Boost', 'Shielding' and 'Constructs'

But can't read her, naturally. She must think I'm an absolute mess. Why wouldn't she? The Myriad continue to channel my anger as they ripple, forming small spires before they collapse back into nanomechanical pools on and in my skin. They're multiplying - rapidly, enough to cover my limbs and still have significant excess. They haven't done this before... is this a sign that they're taking over, more than before? Whatever. I don't care, so long as I'm stronger, strong enough to get my teammates' respect. "I can do better than that," I say, voice continuing to crack. I can try, at least.

From the excess, I form... another me. Or a thing in the shape of me; a frame of me. It's my height, my proportion, but it's featureless like one of those old mannequins. Pitch black in colour, like the Myriad's nanomachines, and hollow, but it should do the job.

[11:51am] Nown: Charging up Powers
[11:51am] Nown: !roll 2d6+1
[11:51am] Krysmbot: Nown, 9+1 = 10
Taking 3 Burn, and spending one immediately to form a Construct with the Condition 'Fragile'

"I'm going... we're going back to look for them, and anyone else who needs help. I'm not going to stand around out here like some victim." I spit the last word with venom, glaring past Bravura, and then turn back to the school. I can't not go back there. That would be saying that Dragon was right to take me out, that I am some helpless victim who needs saving. And I'm not.

...I'm not.

I can't be the crippled girl who can't walk and needs to be saved, I can't... wait. Crippled. Needs to be saved. Oh poo poo. Miss Doring! We left Miss Doring in the building! Where is she, how do I get to her, hurry hurry hurry!

[12:15pm] Nown: Unleashing Powers to extend senses
[12:16pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[12:16pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 5+2 = 7
Marking the Condition Insecure

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 0/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Burn 2

It's been a long three months indeed... After my desperate bluster to Bravura, I couldn't save Ms. Doring, didn't even get close to her before she was kidnapped. One chance at redemption, and I blew it - or well, 'blew it' implies spectacular failure, not just dismal and unseen failure. Thankfully, I've had something else to occupy my attention over the past three months.

I've been holed up in the Shipwreck. I could have gone back 'home' with my parents, but the Shipwreck's safer, and besides... while we were all occupied with the chaos at Ms. Doring's school, there was a 'present' left by the Shipwreck. It was hidden, but nothing that the sensors couldn't locate. ...I almost wish they hadn't been able to locate it.

The Archivist clearly wasn't dead after all, just like Jewels had thought, because he left a quantum hard drive with research he had done about the Myriad, and it's... troubling, whether it's true or not. Because it might mean I can live through all of this, that the Myriad won't just inevitably overwrite my mind and use my body as a shell - that I might not be doomed after all, and I have to say, choosing between living with these powers and dying with them is an absolute no-brainer.

But that would first of all mean the Myriad were lying to me, or deliberately omitted to tell me of that possibility for some reason. They're not even protesting their innocence, just gone radio-silent, which hardly fills me with confidence.

Secondly, there's the Archivist's motives to take into account. Why would he give me this? I certainly don't trust that it was out of the goodness of his own heart, he wants me to do something for his own gain, be a guinea pig for some experiment - which partly makes me want to not do it out of spite... which brings me neatly to the third problem.

Namely, that according to his research, the way to guarantee I live on with this is to go to the edge, the very brink of letting Singularity take control, and then pulling myself back, after I put one foot in the grave. I'm sure I don't need to explain to anyone why that is a terrifying route, with zero guarantee I'll actually be able to pull myself back. Naturally, of course, Singularity is egging me on, because it's so confident I can't.

The only conversations I've had for three months are with the supercomputer and the Singularity... which is pathetic and not great for my mental health or stability, but what else am I going to do? Contact Jewels or Shodan just to tell them I'd like to hear the sound of a human voice? They'd probably take it upon themselves to come and try to 'rescue' me from the Shipwreck, and I can't let that happen, either, or let them find out about this research.

There is one other important thing I've been doing the past three months. It hasn't all been just about me. Ms. Doring is gone, but she's not dead. I've put the supercomputer to work trying to find out where exactly she is, and how we can save her. The fact that I have no leads to go on doesn't matter, this thing will crunch through absurd numbers of possibilities and contingencies (seriously, enough possibilities that it's taken 90 days to filter through them) and narrow them down to the most plausible potential answers, and one of those has to be correct, right? Anyway, it should contact me remotely through my connection with the Myriad when it has an answer for me.
Using the Resources of my Sanctuary to ask "Where is Ms. Doring; how can we save her? GM can pick between one and four conditions from the move in the Doomed playbook to answer that question with.

--
When I do arrive at the school gates, my gaze lingers on Bravura and Jewels. Honestly... they look happy together, and I've ruined enough friendships already... but I need to get closer to Singularity, and that means doing what it wanted - asserting myself and what I want. Even if I know it's the wrong thing to do. So I head straight for them. "Jewels! How have you been? You look well." I hesitate, then give her a quick hug!

EDIT:

[12:46pm] Nown: Provoking Jewels to be intimate/friendly with Avatar
[12:46pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[12:46pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 6+2 = 8

If Jewels chooses not to do this, she marks a condition

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at May 14, 2016 around 21:45

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

They're going on a date? Tonight? My chest clenches, and I feel cold, despite her hugging me back. I didn't know they were... already that close. And now they're all looking at me, expecting me to confirm that for Warp and Outstrider... My eyes flicker to each finally settling on Bravura, and I smile, even as all my self-preservation instincts are yelling at me to Abort Mission, to just back out and leave the two alone. "Well, I mean all three of us are going out tonight!" I say. "Read into that whatever you want to."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

"That's a good idea, Bravura," I say to her. "For tomorrow, at least." Now, this part I don't feel the slightest bit bad about. Getting between Jewels and Bravura's... relationship gives me a twinge of guilt, even if this is for the greater good. Standing up to someone who has no business 'leading' a team - well, that just feels right, without anything else needed. "So - how have you guys spent your time since the attack?" I make no move away from Jewels, not budging an inch, as I ask that.

Also TheJoshie, GM ruling - is Avatar doing this whole 'get close to Singularity so I can pull back at the last moment and un-Doom myself' plan enough to clear Insecure? I assume it is, but just want to check with you :V

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 0/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Burn 2

There's no way the Archivist is dead. I'm certain of that... but also certain that I don't want an organization that willingly recruited him to have any place in my affairs. At best, they're incompetent, nosy, government bureaucrats. At worse, they're competent nosy government bureaucrats. Either way, I don't want them near me and especially not near my Sanctum. So the smartest thing for me to do would be to bite my tongue until Lovelace is gone. I have other things to worry about - while I'm still waiting on results from the Myriad's supercomputer, I'm also plotting how to insert myself into Jewels and Bravura's night out without making Jewels mad at me... and Shodan sends me a look which I puzzle to decipher for a few seconds, until she mentions 'hospital'. Oh... oh poo poo.

I'd put off visiting her in the days immediately after the attack because... well, I don't like hospitals. It comes with spending so much time in them on the non-visiting end. I needed time to steel myself to that, and then one thing led to another, and I got distracted with the Archivist, and searching for Ms. Doring, and... months passed and I didn't think about it once. So I look a little shamefaced when Shodan gives me that look. Should I try to explain? Would she care? Would I, if someone gave me that excuse?

Then I see Singularity, just staring at me. I stare back a moment, then look away hurriedly - the others would no doubt notice I was staring at 'nothing' and start asking questions! Why is she here? What's her aim? There's no way she's just a bystander, she never is. She wants me to do something; something that I'm not already doing, but what? ...Well, it doesn't matter. If she wants something, she'll have to tell me, and hope I'm in the mood for it.

In the meantime, I head over to Shodan. "So... long time, no see?" I say, awkward as the situation demands.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 0+1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Insecure | Burn 2

It is a very impressive ship, I may have completely underestimated Shodan's abilities if she was able to build something like that in the past three months... but I don't have time to think about that as she gets very close very quickly, and makes that request again. The one I've turned down more than once, except that now I feel like I owe her or something, like I've been stuck in a deficit and need to actively work towards rebalancing the scales...

I don't answer immediately, just glance at her, try to read her. What kind of examination? What does she have planned? ...But it's useless, I can't read anything from her expression.

[06:33am] Nown: Time for more Avatar Does Stupid Things
[06:33am] Nown: Piercing Shodan’s Mask
[06:33am] Nown: !roll 2d6-2
[06:33am] Krysmbot: Nown, 6-2 = 4
[06:33am] Nown: delicious potential

"...Sure...?" I reply tentatively, shrugging my shoulders. I hate being indebted, and this will clear that up and then some. "What's the worst that could happen? So... when and where and how? Is it safe? I mean, I'm sure you'll try to be safe, but... yeah."

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Burn 2

"Oh, certainly," I reply drily. "I'll be sure to avoid getting injured for your sake. I'd hate to inconvenience your important plans over something as trivial as my health." I'm mostly joking, of course. Just deadpan enough to maybe (probably not) give her something to chew on. "Though luckily for both of us, I'm not that easy to hurt, either. Benefits of..." I flex an arm and a patch of skin turns black with nanomachines, like a plate of armour. Idly, I think that this can go both ways. I can study Shodan's lab while she's trying to study the Myriad. Maybe I'll find something that benefits me there? In any case I'm not going to just be some guinea pig, poked and prodded. Sure, I owe her, but that doesn't mean I'm just going to be a passive lab subject!

...and seriously, people are arguing about the team and leadership again? "For the record, having a 'leader' is still a stupid idea, and still nobody has shown that they're suited for it," I say, tone dipping into irritation. "It's a solution that doesn't work, for a problem that doesn't exist, that's all." I glare at Sylphid in particular. "Miss Doring was wrong then, and she's not here now. There's no reason for Bravura - or you to be leader of anything. All this... team and leader nonsense just gets in the way of us actually doing things."

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at May 23, 2016 around 22:26

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 1+1/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Burn 1

I can't help but roll my eyes when Bravura storms off. "I was there, what Jewels is saying is true. Didn't know it was so 'childish' for someone to not want to be thought of as a liar." I glance at Jewels, and smile. "Don't worry, I'm around to back you up, even when people want you to be wrong."

[4:16pm] Nown: Comfort/Support Jewels
[4:16pm] Nown: !roll 2d6-2
[4:16pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 3-2 = 1
[4:16pm] Nown: that’s more like it
Marking Potential

Then Dragon starts lecturing everyone, and I roll my eyes again. "Way to go, you step in to be the big hero when it doesn't matter anymore. Do us all a favour; go do something useful instead of demanding things of other people." I don't bother to hide how pissed off I am towards her specifically, right now.

[4:14pm] Nown: Shielding Shodan
[4:14pm] Nown: !roll 2d6+2
[4:14pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 9+2 = 11
Vermilion takes -2 to her roll. It's now a failure! I spend 1 Burn

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Potential: 2/5 | Doom 1/5 | Conditions: Angry | Burn 1

I'm glad I didn't expect anything from CASTLE, otherwise I might have been disappointed by how Lovelace reacted to all that. But then again, they're the organization that hired the Archivist, so...

But more importantly than that... "I know how to find Miss Doring!" I say automatically - and excitedly - as soon as I receive the information from the Myriad's supercomputer. "...Or I know how to find the way to find her..." and it's not a way anyone will like. "I think I do, at least. I might need to do a bit more research, or something..." It's a good thing only Shodan's here to hear that, none of the others...

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Of course I join Shodan on the ride, but when we get there... I'm not sure what to make of it, not at all, aside from unease at there being more about Vermillion we don't know... but Shodan has that well in hand. I'm busy thinking on what the Myriad told me, and how much of it I should share... well, drat it. I should have shared it all with Shodan at the very least, but now that there's Sylphid and maybe Vermillion here too...

"Is she... going to be okay?" I ask Shodan, hanging around more than arm's length away from the egg. "Ugh... as if we didn't have enough to deal with..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Shodan's ship is... well, it's cool, especially since it was a human who made it. But I hang out a lot in the Myriad's ship - which, y'know, was an interstellar vessel designed and created by sentient nanomechanical aliens. Plus, y'know, distracted by my revelations and the sudden Cerberus broadcast. And that's the last straw, so I spill the beans then and there.

"...We need to find Sciromancer," I say while Shodan does her thing. "And to do that... we need to find the Archivist - who I know is not dead, because he was hiding out near my Sanctum. That's the only way we find out where this weapon is - and where Miss Doring is... mind if I hijack your ship a little? I kinda need its sensors." I'm already fashioning one hand into a data-jack, poised to plug it into one of the receptacles in this part of the Ragnarok, but it's only polite to ask, first!

• Locked thread