Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hezzy posted:

A lot of the beta areas that were closed off had the "new area marker" just beyond the barrier with higher levels on them so it's safe to say that the final game area will at least be a little bigger than the beta area. I doubt we will have all of Manhattan available, they have to save some areas so they can sell it to us at a later date. Wouldn't be Ubisoft if they let us have all the game for the price of the game.

Set DLC in New Jersey, make only bridge remaining a Dark Zone :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Relevant to map size chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up15UBaKaf4

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

That was posted on the last page, hence the map chat.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
You guys really, really actually don't watch, listen, or read do you?

Tei posted:

Two things I noticed:
- It seems we can use small shotgun in the pistol slot. Cool.
- Inflaction!, numbers goes to 4 digits at level 25. I shaw a shot doing something like 13000 damage. I guest at level 30 we will do something like 18000 damage.

The level 25 mission video, posted multiple times and commented on multiple times, has dudes doing 20k+ body shots.

There are weapons that require 350+ in 2 stats to unlock their mod.

quote:

A lot of the beta areas that were closed off had the "new area marker" just beyond the barrier with higher levels on them so it's safe to say that the final game area will at least be a little bigger than the beta area. I doubt we will have all of Manhattan available, they have to save some areas so they can sell it to us at a later date. Wouldn't be Ubisoft if they let us have all the game for the price of the game.

The map on release is everything outlined in white in Qmass's post. Brooklyn was planned for the game in 2013, but is not in on release.

I'm going to say that you actively do NOT want a map of the entire island of Manhattan. That's 90 sq km, basically half of DayZ's Map. That's too much map for this kind of game. People were screaming bloody murder when they had to run more than two blocks to find a pack of enemies. People would loving quit if one mission was at the Empire State Building and the next one was in Harlem.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Subjunctive posted:

They showed Brooklyn a while ago, but it's not in at release. We're supposed to get all (most?) of Manhattan, as I understand it.

I am pretty sure Brooklyn is where you spend levels 1-4 but who knows. We're definitely not getting all of Manhattan in this release. Most of Midtown, down towards Soho and up towards Central Park. It still seems like a big ol' map to me once you factor in underground areas and buildings that are explorable in some cases.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Destiny's maps are really all that big and this looks like it has the same type of dungeons that are always in the world and now they just have a mission in them when you pick it. Having played the beta I'm not concerned about the map size because it all looks the same so I couldn't tell it wasn't very large.

Also I like to shoot dudes and so the map size doesn't affect that.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Badfinger posted:

I'm going to say that you actively do NOT want a map of the entire island of Manhattan. That's 90 sq km, basically half of DayZ's Map. That's too much map for this kind of game. People were screaming bloody murder when they had to run more than two blocks to find a pack of enemies. People would loving quit if one mission was at the Empire State Building and the next one was in Harlem.

I want a map that big. iirc there were unlockable fast travel points on the map, so give me the whole map Ubisoft you lying canadian fucks

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

mcbexx posted:

Club uPlay offers a 20% discount on any game/preorder for 100 uplay units.
Preordering The Division will credit 100 u-coins back to your account.

If you have played other games on uplay, chances are that you are already sitting on >100 coins for random archivements and unlocks.

This is only relevant to our EU friends, in the States... Our deal is only getting 10% off of specific titles.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Badfinger posted:

The level 25 mission video, posted multiple times and commented on multiple times, has dudes doing 20k+ body shots.

There are weapons that require 350+ in 2 stats to unlock their mod.

The map on release is everything outlined in white in Qmass's post. Brooklyn was planned for the game in 2013, but is not in on release.

Re: complaining about travel distances, in the final release there will be safe houses (like there was in the beta DZ) that can be quick travelled between. If you don't like walking, fast travel will be an option.

As to whether they'll expand the map? Possibly? Central Park is too close to the currently playable game world to not be eventually added. Everything south of midtown? That seems less likely cause it's a lot of play area. Only Ubisoft knows. :shrug:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Id rather they focus on making their current map more interesting and have more things than making the map larger.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Also there is the subway that adds a substantial bit of terrain to explore.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snuffman posted:

Re: complaining about travel distances, in the final release there will be safe houses (like there was in the beta DZ) that can be quick travelled between. If you don't like walking, fast travel will be an option.

In beta you could fast-travel between Camp Hudson and the base of operations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Subjunctive posted:

In beta you could fast-travel between Camp Hudson and the base of operations.

You could also fast-travel to the two story mission locations. The one where you pick up the engineer guy was a good way to get to the DZ fast.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I haven't had a chance to play this game during the beta. How is the medic spec? I typically play as a healer in RPGs, and being a guy who can heal damage and shoot guns sounds pretty okay to me! I'll be playing on the ps4, for what that's worth.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I haven't had a chance to play this game during the beta. How is the medic spec? I typically play as a healer in RPGs, and being a guy who can heal damage and shoot guns sounds pretty okay to me! I'll be playing on the ps4, for what that's worth.

Not sure about 'spec' (as in class/role?) but seemingly, upgrading certain parts of the medical wing gives you a gadget that can area heal along with mods (the two available in the beta were either being able to revive a downed buddy, or briefly buffing those you healed with +extra attack).

Damone
May 3, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Playing a Medic in Division seems all to about your position relative to your squad. All the healing abilities require some sort of aiming or careful placement. Combined with some security skills you can be a real boon for your squad while being able to deal out some decent damage.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?aX_saaCX3sA

This is level 25 support play through of a mission.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks, gents!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dandywalken posted:

IMO, Cleaners... did nothing wrong.

Did you not find the ECHO where they ram a sedan with a dump truck, jump out of said dump truck, and burn the occupants alive?

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

super macho dude posted:

loving lol if the rest of the map is only available through dlc

If you think this isn't going to happen you are naive.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Party Plane Jones posted:

Did you not find the ECHO where they ram a sedan with a dump truck, jump out of said dump truck, and burn the occupants alive?

The guys in the sedan were probably gonna shoot a bunch of dogs anyhow.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Friendly reminder for anyone getting screwed by Ubi's 'Murica Only policy on the Agent Origins stuff, if you PM me your platform I'll do my best to get you a code.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

thebushcommander posted:

That was posted on the last page, hence the map chat.

Actually it was linked in a related video posted on the last page. :eng101:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

True :(

I hope we find a few Echo's that show random guys joining the factions/being pushed to it to get an inside look at their mental state when they go "Yeah, time to flamethrow the population." etc.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/game/en-GB/fb-redeem/index.aspx
Free weapon skin.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I fail to see how this changes the fact they did nothing wrong.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

I did not find this ECHO. I wish to view it. YouTube don't fail me now!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Daaaamn, they're really going all out with the freebies.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

quote:

YOUR EXCLUSIVE WEAPON SKIN WILL BE AVAILABLE IN TOM CLANCY'S THE DIVISION AFTER MARCH 15, 2016

Rip off! :argh:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Badfinger posted:

This game looks like Destiny, is it like Destiny?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Plan Z posted:

This game looks like Destiny, is it like Destiny?

Worse shooting better loot, better workflow for content.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Worse shooting better loot, better workflow for content.

Was joke.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Plan Z posted:

Was joke.

Like destiny's workflow xDDDDDD

zomgcatsonfire
Apr 14, 2009
Anyone wish there was more levels to explore in the small part of the Dark Zone we got to play?

I noticed how linear the map was and how not every road had a cut through. Having a "roof top" level, could bring a bit more diversity to the game i.e. being able to progress down a road via the rooftops instead of the road.

Also, did anyone catch wind on what they are doing about the threat levels? The NPCs in the game had weird threat level control (such as remembering your threat level after having left an area for 5 minutes and then heading back). There didn't seem to be a distinction between a tanking player and a dps player. Even when someone was in the open it didn't seem like the NPCs would exclusively target that player.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Interesting that much of the prerelease media had the game set in Brooklyn. So much so that it seems like it would have been a huge undertaking to relocate the game to midtown, which is in the more recent media.

Maybe at some point in development they wanted to make it more recognisably 'New York', so they moved it to Midtown to be near all the skyscrapers. Maybe we'll get some DLC in the future that allows crossing of the Broolyn Bridge to the closest bit of brooklyn that was seen in the original trailers. Presumably they'd need to extend the map further south to the lower east side and the financial district to do so, which is probably as big an area as the original map... They could always do a GTA4 type thing and 'condense' it I suppose.

Personally I'd like to see the map go north into a Central Park dark zone. Would be thematically (and somewhat historically ;) ) accurate!

:edit: actually just watched the e3 2013 trailer again. Looks like the Brooklyn Bridge connected right to the edge of midtown / central park, and the financial district was much more condensed. I'll bet it will be DLC.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 27, 2016

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Plan Z posted:

Was joke.

I got your joke, like before me my HK 47 joke was gotten.

Perhaps humor will one day find purchase in The Division.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The word "workflow" should never be used seriously.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I did not find this ECHO. I wish to view it. YouTube don't fail me now!

Found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDkp89GdRyg

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Probably old news to everyone here, but I'm discovering this stuff for the first time since I didn't really have any interest in this game prior to the beta. Apparently there was a tablet companion app where you could assist squads with aerial drones.

https://youtu.be/sxj7jWTB368

Looks neat, but would have been a nightmare to implement reliably. Not surprised it was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just been watching the preview videos from the last view e3s.

God its hilarious watching people standing on a stage with a controller awkwardly miming as if they are playing what is an obviously pre-rendered video.

I never really got why people get surprised / angry when games don't out as graphically impressive as early trailers suggest, but i suppose pulling stunts like that certainly doesn't help.

• Locked thread