Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Do you like getting mauled by a bear? Well of course not, and that's why you will try to maul the bear first.

old closed thread, has good if a bit outdated info

TL;DR (and believe me, this will be long)

Unreal World is a realistic roguelike survival simulator, set in the iron age in Finland, and just got released on Steam for the low, low price of :10bux:

But if that's not cheap enough for you, then you can get it for free, and it's the same version you can purchase on Steam! Probably in the future updates will arrive earlier on Steam, but they promised that as long as people keep making donations through their website, they'll keep maintaining both. I heartily recommend buying it or making a donation if you enjoy it, the developers support it non-stop and they clearly love the game so they deserve your money.

It also has a pretty decent wiki

Did I manage to spark your interest? Let's see what makes this game great.

Intro and basics

At its core, it's your basic roguelike game: perma-death, turn-based, keyboard-heavy and with 2d pixel tiles instead of fancy graphics. Actually, it started out way back (it's in development since 1992) as a fairly standard fantasy game, but then slowly transformed into a realistic life simulator in the semi-primitive setting of iron age Finland.

You will have to survive by crafting needed stuff, hunting/gathering/fishing/putting out traps and get food, wood and pelts to make items and/or to trade for things you can't craft like axes or pots, and get better armor and weapons to fight off wild beasts and nasty humans (they come in the form of either bloodthirsty Njerpez warriors that will only settle for your death, or simple robbers that will try to get your stuff either by talking or by bludgeoning you over the head). Also of course you'll get tired and need to sleep, eat, and drink.

The game has a day-night cycle, full-on weather and seasons system: in summer the temperatures are bearable even without being covered head to toe in furs, berries and plants to eat are readily available, there's plenty of game to hunt and life is generally easier (you will get mauled by a bear nonetheless, don't worry)

Is it wise to light fires near all that wood?

At the other end of the spectrum, winter is harsh: days are short and nights are long, it gets freezing cold and you WILL die from hypothermia so you have to build shelter, possibly an elaborate log cabin complete with fireplace, table and bed, make enough firewood to keep warm and get a decent source of food or a good plan for having enough in those long, boring months. Ice will cover the rivers and lakes so to fish you'll have to poke holes in it, and if you're not careful you can walk on thin ice that will break and drop you into freezing water. Also snow accumulates on the ground and unless you have skis, you won't be able to walk very long without getting incredibly tired so you better have everything you need not too far away. On the upside it also allows you to spot tracks much easier. Too bad there are few animals around in winter...

Starting out

First of all the game will generate a random map for you. Pressing "C" will show the cultural overlay - each blob shows where villages of a certain culture are. You will also see a red dot - that's your starting position and you can re-randomize it until you're happy with it. The game world is full of rivers, mountains, villages and stuff wherever, and you can relatively easy relocate so don't sweat it.

What do you mean "UnReal world"? Looks pretty real to me

When you create a new character (and in the beginning you will do so quite often) you choose between a few scenarios which impact your starting situation: you can start out the easy way with fishing equipment, with a half-built house, at an abandoned campsite or just outside a friendly village - or choose to go in hard by starting as a slave to Njerpez warriors (the evil guys), or at the end of an unfortunate hunting trip with your father where the beast that you're hunting killed him and is still present.

They do not seem like nice guys

You choose a culture that will affect your physique and starting proficiency in a bunch of skills, and will have the opportunity to reroll your stats until you're happy with them - choose wisely because those stats also play a role in determining your skill levels, even though less so than culture unless they're extremely low. Stats pretty much never go up during the game, and skills too grow very slowly unless you try and game the system. That's why before finalizing your character you can assign points to radically improve a skill: standard difficulty gives you 5 points (each skill can be improved only once with those points), easier difficulties also allow to "remove" points from skills and redirect them to other skills making it quite easy to get an uber character once you know what works best. After that you can either choose a tutorial that will teach you the basics and reward you with a few items along the way and a bunch more skill points once you finish it, a set of "advanced adventures" to give you a challenge with exotic tasks, or you can just ask to be dropped into the world and left to your own wits and strength.

This guy is buff as hell, 80" of manly Finnish hunk... unless you reroll a lot you won't get this outcome often

On the other hand, try to avoid starting with skills like these if you actually want to live. This loving sucks, you should have at least a bunch of 40-50%+ useful skills - weatherlore is not one of them and those combat skills are amazingly bad

Stabbing and getting stabbed, or otherwise hurting yourself

You can get hurt in many funny ways: getting mauled by a bear you woke up by traipsing into a cave for shelter, breaking your bones by falling from a tree you were trying to climb to escape from an angry beast, getting bitten by that beast, or getting cut up by a knife-wielding thug.

Speaking of combat, it's quite in depth. It's turn based of course, and there's different maneuvers you can do: when attacking, you can choose where to aim (legs / arms / torso / head) and most weapons allow you to use different types of attack - an axe could be used to slash with its edge or to bludgeon with the dull part, while a sword can be used to slash or to stab and depending on the weapon the different attacks will do a varying amount of damage.

Yeah Nestor, go ahead and beat the poo poo out of that bear

When defending you can block, dodge, ignore attacks (tip: don't do this) or try to counterattack to gain an edge on your opponent, but the success of those maneuvers will be very dependent on your ability and the weapon characteristics: a trident or a shield are excellent for blocking, while a sword or spear usually makes for an excellent counterattacking weapon, smaller weapons have a hard time blocking bigger weapons and so on. Swinging your weapon around or blocking is fatiguing, and fatigue applies a penalty to all your skills so if a battle gets drawn out both you and your enemy will start missing more and fumbling or dropping your weapons until you can't even stand anymore and will be reduced to a prone, wheezing mess. Just hope it happens to your enemy first.

The game tracks the standard different kinds of damage - blunt, piercing, slashing - and different armors have differing resistances to them. You can use bows as ranged weapons, but you can also throw your axe at the enemy's face if you're in a tight spot. Or try to kick him in the groin.

Armor coverage for different types of damage. See that Squeezing tab? Yeah, it's there only for bear hugs. Honest.

Different damages also they can result in different types of wounds that will have to be treated differently: you'll have to splint a fracture so you'll need branches and bandages, while for a cut you'll need to clean the wound, optionally apply healing herbs, then bandage it and so on. Of course an injured leg will reduce your mobility or even prevent you from standing upright, and a broken arm/hand will completely prevent you from doing certain activities that require both hands like chopping down a tree for instance.

drat this guy got his rear end handed to him, didn't he?

You can also get ill or poisoned (do not eat mushrooms, I repeat DO NOT EAT MUSHROOMS unless you're absolutely sure they won't kill you), die from hypotermia, get frostbite or a whole bunch of other nasty things. Every wound/illness will give you a straight percentage penalty to all skills so it's a Big Deal. Avoid getting badly hurt as much as possible. You can cure yourself with herbal beverages, physician skill, applying bandages and herbal salves, or visiting a sage in a village that will try to heal you in exchange for some food. In any case there's no instant healing, even a small bruise will take at least 3-4 days to heal, and a serious cut can take upwards of a month. Improperly treated wounds may even worsen and get infected, so try and make good use your herblore and physician skills or you could be taking a dirt nap sooner than expected.

herbs can do good things for you - but unless you're a master in herblore, you won't always know all their effects!

Yes but what else can I do besides stabbing?

A lot of things. You will pretty much have to get involved with crafting: at the most basic level, you'll build various shelters (from a lean-to, to a tent, a full-on log cabin), make traps to get food and furs, make clothes out of said furs and delicious meals out of the meat. You can craft a few basic weapons and tools like javelins, stone axes or clubs, skis, rafts to traverse water without having to swim (you can drown quite easily if you're not proficient and/or overloaded). Crafting and other activities like hauling carcasses, chopping down trees etc. all have effort levels - while carving a wooden mug or making a pair of mittens from fur is a light effort and won't fatigue you much, chopping down trees or splitting firewood is tiresome and you won't be able to keep doing it nonstop, you'll have to take pauses. Heavy effort will also get in the way of healing.

Cookery is kinda involved too, you can either roast, smoke, dry or salt meat and fish for preservation; no use in killing an elk which yields 200lbs of meat if you then leave it to rot in the sun. Roasted meat will keep good for just a few days depending on temperature, salted meat lasts a lot longer, smoked weighs less and keeps even better but you'll need cords, a fireplace and a bunch of days to allow it to process, dried meat is the ultimate preserved food but it's the longest to prepare and you can only dry meat when the weather allows it (usually in the autumn and winter). Once you get your hands on a pot - it can't be crafted so it'll be either traded for, stolen, or pried from your dead enemy's hands - you can make herbal teas, fish/meat/vegetable soup or stew, and boil various things and mushrooms to hopefully remove their poison (DO NOT EAT MUSHROOMS IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE). Also some mushrooms are hallucinogenic and make you trip balls then violently barf repeatedly. Fun times, you can eat those, they're the Noaidi's mushrooms.

You can also be a farmer and plant hemp, beans, peas, turnips, grains or various other plants (all to be planted and harvested in the appropriate weather and time, which will be slightly randomized every year and different for every plant) which you will then harvest to make vegetable soups, add them to other recipes to make them tastier, grind the grains to make flour and then turn it into bread/porridge ... it yields a LOT of food and once you get it going you'll be set, but it takes a lot of time and effort.

A northern village; those are kind of poor relative to the southern, log-cabin villages but you gotta deal with what nature gives you

You can go to villages and trade with them, or steal their stuff, and the more you do business with them the more they'll like you and give better prices and start calling you by name :3: you don't have currency, you have to barter offering some of your stuff in exchange for what you picked up so you can end up overpaying for something but they'll love you for it and you'll get friendly sooner. Also in future versions, probably even next patch, there will be quests to do - things are up in the air but they sound cool and mysterious, not "get me 10 bears asses" but "I heard there's a wolf girl in the swamp to the north, check it out if you wish". We'll see.

You give me yours, I'll give you mine

You can also buy animals or leash them if you can get near enough to them and have a rope, cows and sheep will give you milk (you used to be able to "milk" bulls too :gonk: ) but not in the winter, pigs can be slaughtered and are basically a free food reserve, dogs can help you hunt and fight and follow basic orders but they will require to be fed. You can recruit villagers too, in exchange for food and tools, and they will either help you do stuff (just cutting down trees I think, but it's a big deal when you need a loving shitton of logs to build a cabin and a tree takes 1h+ to chop down) or fight.

You can make sacrifices to the spirits to obtain their favor, then do rituals to obtain bonuses and perks to various skills or actions like starting a fire, getting a successful hunt, stopping a wound from bleeding etc... sometimes those buffs are not visible, like the ritual for a good night's sleep - did it work? Will I get to sleep undisturbed or will I be attacked by wolves? Who knows. Hope you didn't piss the spirits off!

Oh and if you're evil you can just kill off a whole village, cut children to pieces and eat them raw (but only if you're hungry enough, dude that would be hosed up otherwise). This will however most probably incur the wrath of the spirits that will gently caress you over by making an angry lynx sneak next to you when you're asleep.

Nice! How does it play out? Is it a snooze-fest or is it action-packed?

Being turn-based means you can take your time, but it can get quite frantic especially in combat, or when running away from a wolf pack, or desperately trying again and again to catch a fish with your spear just to avoid starving.

It's a game you can pick up and play for 10 minutes or binge on for hours at a time, but after you get better at it can be quite easy to game the systems, break the game over your knee and obtain lots of items, full armor and weapons, preserved food for 2 years, a house and everything you would possibly need - but then boredom will make you do crazy poo poo like "let's go explore this cave OH GOD TWO ANGRY BEARS", "why don't I take on this Njerpez war camp alone" or "let's swim across the freezing cold rapids" and boom, you're starting a fresh character.

I started playing it in 2001 back when it was version 2.60 and the game sees semi-regular patches that add lots of content and fixes, in the past it was about 1-2 per year but in recent times it's more 3-4 patches per year and it doesn't seem they'll be stopping anytime soon! Next up will be quests apparently, that will raise longevity a lot, also the game is easily moddable and people have added all sort of things from new graphics to ironworking, crafting and cookery mods.

So anything else I should know?

I guess I told you everything I can think of about this game, for anything else you can ask here and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. Of course there's also a pretty decent wiki. Also, the game is easily moddable via .txt file editing and you can find a lot of great mods on the official forums, some are also on the official site but I think that's seldom updated, and probably more will be coming to steam workshop too I guess? Dunno, it got on Steam today so it's all kind of new. My personal favorites are Ironworking, Clothmaking and More Crafting Recipes ones but play some vanilla first, you'll have enough on your hands to start out, trust me.

Just a few starting tips :

- once in game bring up the main menu (ESC), there's a "?" keyboard commands help menu detailing all keybindings, get to know them because although using the mouse is possible for some specific things, you'll have to press a lot of buttons nonetheless!
- when you generate the map, you can re-roll your starting position. press "C" to show the cultural zones and try to start close to the light cyan blob in the south-west, that's Driikilaiset territory and it's filled with villages that have a ton of stuff to trade. You can crash in their houses if you're having trouble with the weather, they won't mind.
- pick Kaumolainen as starting culture. They have a nice skillset and tend to be excellent fighters, they're the most well-rounded choice for beginners.
- re-roll attributes until agility, speed and endurance are almost maxed out, they affect amongst other things respectively dodging, your speed (duh) and the amount of stuff you can carry before suffering penalties: all of those are excellent if you want to live long. Try to have at least decent strength, eyesight and dexterity too because they affect some of the best weapons skills (bows, swords). Intelligence affects a lot of skills but you don't really need it very high, if you get good rolls on the others I'd take it even with low intelligence. You can safely skimp on will, smell/taste, touch, hearing because they mostly affect non-vital skills like ritual, cooking or weatherlore.
- invest one of your starting skill points on Physician. It's a skill that usually starts very low and you need every little bit of help to avoid dying of dysentery, gangrene or something equally bad.
- choose a weapon type or two and stick with them, don't spread your skills too thin. You'll need a variety of combat and non-combat skills to be successful. I personally recommend either axes (because you'll always have one handy, it's just too useful a tool) or swords, and bow because hunting with melee only is a nightmare if you don't slow the animal down with a couple arrows to the knee. Alternatively invest in spears and use throwing javelins, they're easily craftable and pretty good at short ranges.
- if you want to rely on fishing to eat, make sure you can get the skill up to at least 50% otherwise you'll have a hard time catching enough fish to keep you fed. Luckily the lower a skill is the faster it will raise, but you'll have to find other ways of feeding yourself until you get there.
- :siren: DO NOT EAT MUSHROOMS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD :siren:

See you in the Far North!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I first played this game 6 years ago. I built a shack out of sticks and successfully managed to trap some small animal. A day later I was attacked by a drunk, nude barbarian. Armed with my homemade spear I got my poo poo kicked in despite the barbarian randomly tripping and forfeiting turns because he was so drunk.

10/10

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I played this quite a bit. It's seriously detailed and deep, and also has many, many pictures of Finnish dudes LARPing.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I used to play this game a lot. Usually set up by a river, built a house then made everywhere around my house a trap hell. Then when dudes came to visit they'd fall into spike traps and I could eat them and nick their stuff.

Looks like the sprites got an overhaul since I last played.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^^ yeah those are the graphics for the latest version, released today on Steam and coming next week as a free download on their site. They remade the whole rendering engine or something so they could add new sprites/lighting stuff and make it more moddable and scalable I think. I'm not really sold on this new style yet, but I'm sure it will grow on me.

Also for anybody who played previous, older versions (more than 1 year ago): a LOT of things have changed, and for the better. Quests are coming next patch, there's a totally new trading / reputation system with villages, most exploits have been squashed and replaced with sensible mechanics, you can command your pet dog and it's even more of a killing machine, new animal AI especially for predators that will actively hunt their prey (have sheeps in a pen? be careful of wolves!), addition of more birds and seals you can club, etc etc.

Do yourself a favor and try the free version again, especially when they update it to 3.30 (scheduled to be done on monday 29/2)

al-azad posted:

I first played this game 6 years ago. I built a shack out of sticks and successfully managed to trap some small animal. A day later I was attacked by a drunk, nude barbarian. Armed with my homemade spear I got my poo poo kicked in despite the barbarian randomly tripping and forfeiting turns because he was so drunk.

10/10

Yes this is what makes this game special. It has no story, but it's so easy to make one up yourself. :black101:

Pochoclo posted:

I played this quite a bit. It's seriously detailed and deep, and also has many, many pictures of Finnish dudes LARPing.

Over the years they kept adding more and more and getting more of their friends on board (the devs are basically just 2 Finnish guys that are into survivalism, enjoying nature and programming iirc), I actually find it kind of charming!

Of course there's also a mod replacing the LARP Finnish guys/gals with anime :doh:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 27, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I remember trying this game ages ago. I may have to give it another spin.

TorakFade posted:

Of course there's also a mod replacing the LARP Finnish guys/gals with anime :doh:

That's when you know you can truly say your game has made it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My favorite bit was learning I could hunt elk and reindeer via persistence hunting. Basically chasing them around until they were exhausted and collapsed, at which point I could finish them off with a hand weapon.

Of course a dog makes that much easier. Get a dog ASAP if you hunting without a bow. Hell get one ASAP even if you got a bow. A dog is an exceptionally useful companion and will easily be worth the cost of feeding it. A dog can help you hunt, protect you from animals/men, and even carry modest loads. Dogs really are man's best friend in this game. :3:

Plus they're probably something like a Finnish Spitz and absolutely adorable looking:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 27, 2016

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Everytime I've tried to play this I felt overwhelmed and gave up

I guess I should give it yet another try? One day I'll get it

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Selecting the game course which takes you through a list of basic tasks/goals is a pretty helpful way to get over the biggest hurdles, probably. And starting in the spring, by a river and town.

Checking the new player's guides on the wiki or the UrW forums is helpful, too.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I haven't played this in ages. The updated graphics look cool.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've played a couple of characters and keep getting stuck while trying to hunt. Either the areas I start in are completely devoid of life or I don't understand how tracking works. Both times I can see tracks leading from my starting location, but I quickly lose them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fat Samurai posted:

I've played a couple of characters and keep getting stuck while trying to hunt. Either the areas I start in are completely devoid of life or I don't understand how tracking works. Both times I can see tracks leading from my starting location, but I quickly lose them.

Tracking skill is an important factor of course. The higher your skill, the more tracks you can actually see. Lighter animals leave lighter tracks, so if you're following say hare tracks it's easy to lose them unless you're a master tracker, while a heavy elk will leave clear tracks that even a beginner can follow. During the basic game course you will receive a special event that will give you a big permanent boost in tracking, it's very worth it to get to that point before attempting long tracking runs.

When you stand on some tracks and use the tracking skill, it will tell you how old are the tracks, and the direction they're heading towards; follow this ideal line and keep checking the tracks "age" to avoid circling back on old tracks - sometimes animals walk in circles for a while to throw pursuers off, so it's not guaranteed that you'll always be able to follow an animal around. It takes lots of patience and a bit of luck, especially with smaller animals. Also zooming out with the mouse wheel helps to spot your mark from afar, and remember that animals have excellent hearing and if they're already spooked they will flee at the slightest provocation so try to sneak up to them (press h to hide)

Personally I'm not a fan of tracking, I'd rather get on high ground or plains in the wilderness map and spot animals from afar, try to walk to their location until I "encounter" them, then immediately start sneaking and equip my bow + arrow so I can get a quick shot in before they notice me. They will run at that point, but when injured (and hopefully bleeding if you're lucky) it's a lot easier to follow and finish them off.

Or just litter an area near your encampment with small traps, snares, paw boards, trap pits - remember to bait them, birds love berries and grains and are easy prey for the small lever-traps, hares love veggies and herbs and are easily caught in loop snares, the Kapalalauta fox traps (paw boards) are made expressly for foxes and you'll have to bait them with fresh meat. Remember to replace the meat when it spoils.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 27, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TorakFade posted:

Personally I'm not a fan of tracking, I'd rather get on high ground or plains in the wilderness map and spot animals from afar, try to walk to their location until I "encounter" them, then immediately start sneaking and equip my bow + arrow so I can get a quick shot in before they notice me. They will run at that point, but when injured (and hopefully bleeding if you're lucky) it's a lot easier to follow and finish them off.

This is how you do it. Alternatively or in addition sic your dog on it and just follow the barking until you eventually find your dog harassing your exhausted and collapsed prey.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 27, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Traditionally when hunting, I would use the method where I would climb a tree to spot something worth encountering, and then fall out of the tree and break my neck.

An important thing to remember is that saying "I'm going hunting" is a grand event that could take days to weeks and lead you miles away from your permanent camp. That's not to be confused with opportunistic hunting where you go looking for berries or tinder and win the lottery on a hare that you take out then and there, or trapping which is probably the main way you're going to see small game because it can sit there for days without needing to worry about things like getting ready for winter.

To echo the points already made, passive tracking of a cold trail has its uses but won't score you anything by itself. For example, coming across a cold trail might be useful for telling you a trap would probably be decent here. Its also good at telling you if you're in the right neighborhood for actively hunting big game. You probably won't follow a cold trail right up to some prey. You want some way to get eyes on it and either follow the warm trail, or ideally follow the blood spattered trail because you successfully stuck it with an arrow or your spear.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
My problem with the older versions (I haven't played in a year or so with the freeware versions he was putting out) is unless you had absolutely massive stores of meat on hand all your trade goods (that you could create) were basically worth poo poo.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Party Plane Jones posted:

My problem with the older versions (I haven't played in a year or so with the freeware versions he was putting out) is unless you had absolutely massive stores of meat on hand all your trade goods (that you could create) were basically worth poo poo.

It still kinda suffers from this but it's working as designed I think. The things you can craft are well, easily crafted so they're not worth much unless they're of fine/masterwork quality. So either get your skill up so you make good stuff or craft and barter in bulk.

Or go around looking for lone Njerpez, stab them until they stop moving, and grab all their poo poo to sell off if you don't need it. Weapons, especially swords, are worth a lot.

Alternatively, furs of normal+ quality are also worth quite a bit so get into trapping and hunting.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Is it really a problem that the most valuable things a prehistoric finnish hobo could bring as a barter are food and furs?

Otherwise its like congrats, you whittled a cup. So can grandpa.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm finally going to give this game a try and I am going to eat all the mushrooms.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

I'm finally going to give this game a try and I am going to eat all the mushrooms.

Godspeed, you brave soul. Make sure you eat a ton of them, eating just one could not be poison-y enough!

Today i gulped down two raw Noaidi's mushrooms but I think something changed in the last patch, instead of making me hallucinate they just made me sick but I didn't even throw up. I 'll have to find a couple dozen, try again and report.

Also some strange noises woke me up in the middle of the night, I went out to investigate and found out it was a lynx that killed my pig :mad: good thing I always carry a masterwork battlesword with me, that could have gone badly. Now I have a new lynx pelt on my bed and a lot of bacon being smoked by the fireplace :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 27, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I picked the "Abandoned Camp" starting scenario.

There was a "funny mushroom" right next to the shelter but it didn't do anything when I ate it. After that I made a fire by just setting fire to a tree trunk instead of using "proper" firewood. It burned for quite some time and I roasted a pike on it. When that ran out I made a javelin to go with the rough woodsman's axe I started with and took off into the boonies. Managed to catch another pike with the javelin. Then I had my first animal encounter, which was a bear. I threw my javelin at it because gently caress you bear. I missed, but it pissed off the bear so that I didn't have to chase his pansy rear end, and then I loving killed that motherfucking bear with my goddamn woodsman's axe.
It only managed to bite me once on the shoulder, so I'll probably soon die of rabies or someshit, but I don't care because I killed a bear with an axe, gently caress you game. (I had to clobber it on the head like six times even after it passed out to finish it off. loving bears, man.)

What I'm saying here is you should all try this game out.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Spent several hours building a log cottage, surviving on fish. Finally finished building, and decided I'd go try to trade some stuff at a nearby village.

Died crossing the river.

I feel so exasperated.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did you swim? Presumably while weighed down carrying a bunch of trade goods? Next time build a raft. :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This game is really cool even though I've never been able to really get into it for a long time. I think I need to either take opiates or marijuana to be able to zone out and play it. Embrace my spirit animal, and that poo poo.

I bought it like twenty years ago. That's still good for downloading the current version, right? As long as I can supply the email I used.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did you swim? Presumably while weighed down carrying a bunch of trade goods? Next time build a raft. :(

I had too many trade goods and I didn't check my fatigue before I swam. I made it 1 tile away from being out of deep water before drowning :(

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I had too many trade goods and I didn't check my fatigue before I swam. I made it 1 tile away from being out of deep water before drowning :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Node posted:

This game is really cool even though I've never been able to really get into it for a long time. I think I need to either take opiates or marijuana to be able to zone out and play it. Embrace my spirit animal, and that poo poo.

I bought it like twenty years ago. That's still good for downloading the current version, right? As long as I can supply the email I used.
If you bought a lifetime there's some roundabout way with emails or the forums to get a Steam key I think. But remember it was possible to buy a single revision in the old days, which don't count.

The free version comes out sometime tomorrow, which is what replaced the single revision licenses as long as the donation money outside Steam doesn't dry up.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

zedprime posted:

If you bought a lifetime there's some roundabout way with emails or the forums to get a Steam key I think. But remember it was possible to buy a single revision in the old days, which don't count.

The free version comes out sometime tomorrow, which is what replaced the single revision licenses as long as the donation money outside Steam doesn't dry up.

Oh poo poo, its on Steam. Awesome. Thanks.

e: I can't seem to find how to retrieve my info on the URW site.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 29, 2016

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Node posted:

Oh poo poo, its on Steam. Awesome. Thanks.

e: I can't seem to find how to retrieve my info on the URW site.

From the lifetime members section, which is only visible if you're logged into an account which has a lifetime membership:

"To get your Steam key e-mail me at sami@unrealworld.fi with subject "Steam key" and mention your forum account in the message body."

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Love this game. It's hard to so well playing legit... But I survived a long time on one character after I chanced upon a remote village while down on my luck which had a bathhouse. I barricaded the door so only I could get in or out and traded wooden cups for meat. Times were good

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Tim Peters posted:

:rip: A raft (or punt) is one of the first things I try to get my hands on when I start working on settling down. They're very handy things. For example, I always build my home on the shore of a river or lake and for the logs needed I just cut trees down along the shore line and push them onto the boat. Makes gathering logs much easier. You can bring back a bunch of trunks/logs at once.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I got into this over the weekend. I disagree with the OP's idea of a 'pretty decent' wiki. It's mostly outdated, but more importantly it's sparse. Took me forever to figure out a bunch of things (including even that, for example, you can drink from the overworld) and then even specific things I needed took forever to find (ie. where to use nets, how to tell where you could actually use them besides on a boat).

Something I saw on a forum and seems to hold true is that there's fewer animals down south than up north, which made most of my initial attempts at the game very un-fun. Active fishing with rods is borderline useless from shores in the spring (with the water frozen over), despite no mention of this anywhere I can find.

Eventually started higher north in the summer, which gave me a good combination of fishing and hunting and I'm now well on the way to actually setting up a proper settlement. However, building a cabin takes forever and if not for the nets, I'd have starved myself a dozen times already.

I've also yet to figure out how you're supposed to hunt most things when they can spot you instantly despite being half a screen away hiding, despite my stealth being 90%+. Bows make it possible, but then sometimes the animals scatter and literally disappear once they're off the screen. I don't suppose there's anything like an instructional LP of it here? The Youtube ones I can find are invariably terrible.

e: oh and starting with no axe and then no village in an entire area having an axe is terrible. This happened more than once, and the stone-axe is no substitute when it makes chopping one tree down take 3 hours.

Red Mike fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 29, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It turns out that skinning a bear and carving it for meat with only one hand is pretty exhausting work, because my dude passed out and slept a few hours on top of the mauled bear carcass. Things felt a bit dicey between finishing the skinning and carving, getting a big enough fire going to roast all the meat I could carve, finding fresh water to tend to my wound (made bandages out of my pants), building a shelter and getting the bear hide cured before it went bad - all with one hand - but I managed.

So, incidentally, how long does roasted meat keep? Because I have a whole bunch of roasted bear steaks and have been happily chowing them down for a few days, but I figured some of them will probably go bad before I eat them all, so I might as well trade some of them away for something actually preserved. Also gotta figure out something that's easy enough to craft, to get something to trade in for supplies and stuff. I don't wanna do anything too strenuous while I wait for my shoulder to heal up enough to use both my hands. Eventhough the image of a pantsless barbarian chopping down a tree one-handed is pretty metal.

EDIT: Unrelated to the above, but here's a bit of art:

That's Kullervo's Curse by Akseli Gallen-Kallela, depicting a scene from the Finnish national epic Kalevala. Kullervo, a slave, has just broken his precious heirloom knife on some stones baked into his bread by his master's rear end in a top hat wife. He flips the gently caress out and curses the herd of cows he was tending to, so that when the wife goes to milk them they turn into bears and kill her.

No specific reason I brought that up, I just felt it's some cool trivia that fits together with this game.

EDIT2: Seriously, look at that guy, he's loving livid.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 29, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I think it's about a week or so before roasted meat goes bad.

Also, I'm happy to report that I'm even worse at keeping a normal sleep schedule in the game than in real life :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Red Mike posted:

Something I saw on a forum and seems to hold true is that there's fewer animals down south than up north, which made most of my initial attempts at the game very un-fun. Active fishing with rods is borderline useless from shores in the spring (with the water frozen over), despite no mention of this anywhere I can find.
Yeah, active fishing is barely self sustaining in certain areas. Usually you'll spend almost as much time fishing as the fish it produces will feed you.

quote:

I've also yet to figure out how you're supposed to hunt most things when they can spot you instantly despite being half a screen away hiding, despite my stealth being 90%+. Bows make it possible, but then sometimes the animals scatter and literally disappear once they're off the screen. I don't suppose there's anything like an instructional LP of it here? The Youtube ones I can find are invariably terrible.
Are you carrying a lot of stuff, near your weight limit? Carrying a heavy load will apply a penalty to your skills. You need to travel as light as possible when hunting. My last character a strong, tough Kaumolais still had a -5% penalty to his skills when wearing/equipped with only his clothes, hunting weapons (Spear, bow + a handful of arrows, knife, handaxe), a waterskin and a couple days worth of food (a bit under 50lbs total weight). The terrain you're hunting in can make a big difference too. Its a lot easier to stay out of sight in a thick forest than it is an open mire.

Wild animals are pretty wary and will usually spot you before you can get too close. You need to depend on a medium-range hits or just tiring them out as mentioned before. A few thing that might help is once you're spotted, don't bother trying to sneak anymore, they'll be too alert for some time. You can adjust the zoom on your view by using your wheel mouse or Contol + Numpad Plus/Minus, it took me a while to learn this and its a big help in hunting. No animals should disappear, but some can move very fast when trying to escape.

quote:

e: oh and starting with no axe and then no village in an entire area having an axe is terrible. This happened more than once, and the stone-axe is no substitute when it makes chopping one tree down take 3 hours.
The lands of the northern tribes are rich in wild game, but poor in tools and other refined goods. It usually depends on the kind of culture the tribe in question is. The coastlish merchantile tribes to the south west are far richer and have more fancy goods than the nomadic tribes of the north. You'll typically have to make trips west/south for most trade goods. Long distance trips can be fun! They don't take quite as long as you might think either. Here was a coast-huggin boat trip I was able to make in about 2.5-3 weeks, one way. All those brown boxes along the shore are places I made camp (Typically for a couple days at a time to replenish my food supply)

Similarly, an overland trip from Kiesselaiset to Driiklaiset lands took one character only about a week (one way)

As for an LP, you could check out my regretfully unfinished URW LP in the RL LP Megathread (scroll to the bottom of the OP). I dunno how good it is, especially from a "learn to play the game" standpoint though.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

:siren: The free version got updated to 3.30, with better graphics! Go grab it, and please consider donating / purchasing on Steam if you're liking the game! :siren:

Red Mike posted:

I got into this over the weekend. I disagree with the OP's idea of a 'pretty decent' wiki. It's mostly outdated, but more importantly it's sparse. Took me forever to figure out a bunch of things (including even that, for example, you can drink from the overworld) and then even specific things I needed took forever to find (ie. where to use nets, how to tell where you could actually use them besides on a boat).

You should've seen the wiki a couple of years ago... believe me what we have now is pretty decent in comparison.

the wiki article on fishing in the passive fishing chapter makes pretty clear that nets must be traded for, and that you either need a raft to set them into deep water or find someplace where you can wade far enough from the shore (which also wasn't possible until the last version I think so it's quite updated), of course this is no AAA game so there's bound to be something missing but I think it's quite decent for an indie game that has basically a niche cult following - we're here to help you, just ask :)

Anyways a lot of things must be learned by experience, and even then it might just be confirmation bias since we have no hard data on how it all works. My experience says that with a 65+ fishing skill and/or the Fisher request for a catch ritual (which just gives a temporary boost to the skill), I can consistently get a catch in any season and wherever I fish in just a couple attempts. There might be places that yield less fish, but just keep trying and find what works best for you. Usually fishing in the early morning in summer when it's hot, and late afternoon in the early spring/fall when it's cold should be the best choice, just like in real life.

Also I can tell you that some of the best spots for active fishing are rapids, where you can easily catch salmons and trouts which are awesome (big and nutritious). Nets however will do poorly in rapids, better to set them on a calm river tile or a lake. Keep in mind that unless you're VERY good at it and/or have a bunch of nets, fishing isn't the best food source anyways. The biggest pro is that you risk no harm, and indeed you can do it even if badly injured and almost unable to move so long as you make camp near the shore.

quote:

Welcome to the early iron age, where you have to make do with sticks and stones! But seriously, the basic game course gifts you a free handaxe halfway through. Every new player should do it. Without a knife and an axe you're pretty much hosed, so make a priority to get one (and preferably keep a spare around in case you lose them) even if it means a week-long trek to a more civilized area. As has already been said, further south and west you'll find the more civilized people with good tools, but less wild game.

Oh and if you go shopping there make sure to grab a pot, it's very useful in cooking, very rare in the north, and very expensive so bring good furs and/or weapons to trade.

Fat Samurai posted:

Also, I'm happy to report that I'm even worse at keeping a normal sleep schedule in the game than in real life :)

Some plants, when boiled, made into a tea or eaten raw, will restore your energy from "Weary" all the way to "Lively" so you can keep going. I never tried to binge on them for days on end to see what happens when they wear off. Should try that and report as soon as I can find plants again, currently it's very early spring so there's still snow everywhere.

Nordick posted:

So, incidentally, how long does roasted meat keep? Because I have a whole bunch of roasted bear steaks and have been happily chowing them down for a few days, but I figured some of them will probably go bad before I eat them all

It depends on temperature, in the middle of summer it can last 3-4 days, in the middle of winter more than a week. It will get "stale" 1-2 days before spoiling, so you'll have "Tasty stale reindeer roasted cut" or whatever, and you know it's time to gulp that down. Stale or bland meat will give you less nutrition than tasty or delicious, I don't know if "tasty stale" will equal to normal (like it degrades 1 quality level?) or not, but you don't want to waste meat anyways.

A nice tip is that cooking resets the spoilage counter so you can "stretch" your meat out a bit by cooking a bunch on day one, then another bunch on day 2, then another bunch in day 3 and remembering to eat it in order (it will form separate stacks IIRC)... but be careful to not let it spoil before you get a chance to cook it! 3 days is the maximum I'd let raw meat sit, and in the middle of summer just 2. It's also a PITA to do, but it can help very early on where you don't have much of anything stored.

Also as soon as you choose a place to settle down, even if it's just for a month, gather some stones and boards to build a cellar. It keeps food fresh FAR longer and is worth the time investment unless you know you're going to leave the area in 1 week or so.

quote:

That's Kullervo's Curse by Akseli Gallen-Kallela, depicting a scene from the Finnish national epic Kalevala. Kullervo, a slave, has just broken his precious heirloom knife on some stones baked into his bread by his master's rear end in a top hat wife. He flips the gently caress out and curses the herd of cows he was tending to, so that when the wife goes to milk them they turn into bears and kill her.

No specific reason I brought that up, I just felt it's some cool trivia that fits together with this game.

EDIT2: Seriously, look at that guy, he's loving livid.

Yes, I think we need this to happen in the game, it would be perfect. The devs said that the big feature for next version, quests, are heavily influenced by Finnish lore so we could actually get something just like this!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 29, 2016

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, active fishing is barely self sustaining in certain areas. Usually you'll spend almost as much time fishing as the fish it produces will feed you.

Are you carrying a lot of stuff, near your weight limit? Carrying a heavy load will apply a penalty to your skills. You need to travel as light as possible when hunting. My last character a strong, tough Kaumolais still had a -5% penalty to his skills when wearing/equipped with only his clothes, hunting weapons (Spear, bow + a handful of arrows, knife, handaxe), a waterskin and a couple days worth of food (a bit under 50lbs total weight). The terrain you're hunting in can make a big difference too. Its a lot easier to stay out of sight in a thick forest than it is an open mire.

Never more than 5% when I'm actually doing something (fishing, hunting, crafting important stuff or stuff that takes a long time). When I'm fishing I also take off everything I can so I'm at 1-2% or else I barely catch anything most times. Also, this is with as high skills as I can get them (fishing, tracking always 85%+) since I use the 'too easy' start. I also make sure my character has maxed eyesight since someone mentioned spotting might be related.

I tend to try and find them from hills/mountains and wait until they're near the place. I even had a hill near a mire and the animals disappeared from the mire as soon as I lost them in the zoomed in view and went to overworld and got back onto the mountain (while running!). I even jumped from hill to hill and they were nowhere to be seen. Going back to where they were, my tracking told me they went 'northeast', then I went northeast and that said they went 'southwest' and going there just gave me 'northeast' again.

quote:

Wild animals are pretty wary and will usually spot you before you can get too close. You need to depend on a medium-range hits or just tiring them out as mentioned before. A few thing that might help is once you're spotted, don't bother trying to sneak anymore, they'll be too alert for some time. You can adjust the zoom on your view by using your wheel mouse or Contol + Numpad Plus/Minus, it took me a while to learn this and its a big help in hunting. No animals should disappear, but some can move very fast when trying to escape.

For reference, they don't disappear in the zoomed in view, although all of them move at like x3 my speed, x2 if I'm running.

quote:

The lands of the northern tribes are rich in wild game, but poor in tools and other refined goods. It usually depends on the kind of culture the tribe in question is. The coastlish merchantile tribes to the south west are far richer and have more fancy goods than the nomadic tribes of the north. You'll typically have to make trips west/south for most trade goods.

That's perfectly fine, I think it's a good tradeoff to have. I just wish most guides didn't then recommend southwest from the start without mentioning this, because I always tried hunting and failed because there was gently caress all to find.

quote:

As for an LP, you could check out my regretfully unfinished URW LP in the RL LP Megathread (scroll to the bottom of the OP). I dunno how good it is, especially from a "learn to play the game" standpoint though.

Cool! Will check it out regardless.

TorakFade posted:

You should've seen the wiki a couple of years ago... believe me what we have now is pretty decent in comparison.

the wiki article on fishing in the passive fishing chapter makes pretty clear that nets must be traded for, and that you either need a raft to set them into deep water or find someplace where you can wade far enough from the shore (which also wasn't possible until the last version I think so it's quite updated), of course this is no AAA game so there's bound to be something missing but I think it's quite decent for an indie game that has basically a niche cult following - we're here to help you, just ask :)

I'm probably spoiled by niche games that have wider niches, and I'm honestly hoping this game ends up getting the same sort of community. What I mean is missing is, for example, what is 'deep enough water'. I've found plenty of rocks I could get on top of and the water wasn't deep enough on the other side (despite having to swim to get there), etc. The general deal is there, but what I look for in a wiki is: clear examples (pictures preferred), details that you couldn't figure out by playing.

e: also I still have no clue what rapids look like, I think I've yet to see them.

e2: also I forgot to mention, I haven't actually used the game courses since I know how to do all of that now. It's a bit exploity to magically get the axe isn't it?

Red Mike fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 29, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Red Mike posted:

I'm probably spoiled by niche games that have wider niches, and I'm honestly hoping this game ends up getting the same sort of community.

You and me both, that's why I made this thread after all. I believe that with the game on steam there will be more than 50 people or so playing, so things will improve :v:

quote:

What I mean is missing is, for example, what is 'deep enough water'. I've found plenty of rocks I could get on top of and the water wasn't deep enough on the other side (despite having to swim to get there), etc. The general deal is there, but what I look for in a wiki is: clear examples (pictures preferred), details that you couldn't figure out by playing.

e: also I still have no clue what rapids look like, I think I've yet to see them.

Yes I understand, sometimes you just have to figure it out the hard way. I think if you look at the water with F3 it will tell you if it's deep (as in "deep water" literally) but I don't know for sure.

Rapids are kinda wavy, you can easily spot them in early spring /winter because they're the only tiles that never freeze besides sea tiles.

Yes the game course is exploity since it gives you stuff and at the end a chance to improve stats or skills, but as a newbie that's welcome. Once you're out of the early hurdle, go for the advanced game course, it gifts nothing and gives you actual challenging goals.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 29, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there still a bunch of phobias during character creation for poo poo that isn't in the game? I remember there being one for horses which people always selected because horses didn't exist.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Here is what rapids look like on the overworld map and the detailed map:

Overworld (North of my dude):

Detail/closeup map:

And you meant disappeared on the overworld map? Yeah, they do that. They haven't actually vanished though, but they do become harder to spot on the overworld map. Not sure why, might be because they're wary and/or constantly moving?

Anyways, my suggestion is get yourself a dog. Its easy-mode active-hunting. That or spend a week or two and build a trap fence. This one is incomplete, obviously, there should be spiked pitfall traps in the gaps. Its in a land chokepoint between a large lake and a smaller lake/pond that I've seen elk/reindeer tracks in before. So if I had ever finished it, it would've been at least somewhat successful, especially since I was blockading the entire checkpoint (smaller fences can work, but completely covering a chokepoint is best). Use existing trees to supplement needing to build fencing as much as possible.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is there still a bunch of phobias during character creation for poo poo that isn't in the game? I remember there being one for horses which people always selected because horses didn't exist.

Not anymore thank God, it took ages to reroll until you had good stat and a decent phobia (fear of weapons or canines? right gently caress you game). It was a neat thing but hard to balance, fainting in front of an angry lynx or being afraid of weapons wasn't much fun.

Now there are no phobias for the time being, and that's also the reason why will can be skimped on, it used to affect the chance of resisting your phobia but now it's just a multiplier for some skills.

• Locked thread