Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Molybdenum posted:

Even with the 95% tracking the game gives you temporarily I can't manage to hunt down any big (or even medium) sized game. Elk and reindeer are out of sight in one or two steps along with birds.

If I drop cooked fish into cold water (say a pond or something) does it keep longer?

Do you just smoke inside your house or does that need to be a separate building?

I hope I can get through winter just by fishing, otherwise I am going to die.

Also building my house is taking FOREVER
There's people who hunt down game by moving in from adjacent squares but that's kind of challenge mode. Your best bet is to see it in the overworld, get a close encounter walking to its square, and harry it with javelins or arrows from where you stand. Then persistence hunt it manually or with a dog. I've never had luck getting any movement, hidden or not, facing away or not.

I tried the water thing, didn't seem to work worth of note. Building a cellar is trivially easy and should be one of the first things you do, even to temporary sheltering sites.

You can smoke in your first cabin. Once fall hits you can start drying outside if you need last minute prep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well, that'll be easy to fence off until the lake freezes.

If that mainland peninsula is half as easy to secure as this outer one, a double trap fence defense is going to mean nothing ground based is going to even get close to my homestead, except for any sort of spawning override right on top.

Less neat after the lake freeze but its not even midsummer yet so I've got time to build an absolute fort.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Does the opening text in unreal world have any basis in real finnish folklore? I always wondered why it was called Unreal world.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Highblood posted:

Does the opening text in unreal world have any basis in real finnish folklore? I always wondered why it was called Unreal world.

Maybe, if I remember correctly it has to do with the world no longer being inhabited by mythological or divine beings and being lessened in some way, hence "less real" than the mythical world of before. No idea if it has any relation to Finnish folklore.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

murphyslaw posted:

Maybe, if I remember correctly it has to do with the world no longer being inhabited by mythological or divine beings and being lessened in some way, hence "less real" than the mythical world of before. No idea if it has any relation to Finnish folklore.

You could draw some parallels to the ending of Kalevala where a woman called Marjatta gives virginal birth to a boy who is to become a king (sound familiar?). Creator god/wizard/hero/dirty old man Väinämöinen gets pissed off and leaves, thus ending the mythical age of heroes and magic. Just speculating though. the First Winter, Sky Father and Earth Mother and the creation myth are original ideas to my knowledge, yet the power of song is a central theme in Finnish folklore.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doesn't the in game F1 encyclopedia contain more information about the mythology?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Flinger posted:

Just speculating though. the First Winter, Sky Father and Earth Mother and the creation myth are original ideas to my knowledge
Yeah the creation story in the game is wholly different from the one in the Kalevala. The word "inehmo" is real though, an archaic form of the word "ihminen", "human".

As for other stuff in the game, Tapio the forest god is from actual Finnish mythology and I'm sure that's not the only authentic individual element.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Doesn't the in game F1 encyclopedia contain more information about the mythology?
As it is in the game, yeah, but it probably doesn't explain how much of it is actual Finnish mythology and how much is the dev's original stuff.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 7, 2016

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

Are snakes how dangerous? Encountered one but decided to leave it alone just in case they might be poisonous.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Illegal Username posted:

Whacked four Njerpezit, took an arrow in the gut and a sword cut in the arm.
Got back to shelter, but was too weak to even make a fire.
So i sacrificed my last bit of food to the spirits before freezing to death.

Game still owns

If you have furs, just drop them on top of your shelter tile. If you go to sleep on that tile you'll wrap yourself in furs. I'm not sure how good this works in winter but it could be useful if you're unable to make a fire.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Does dried, smoked, or roasted meat work for baiting traps, or does it have to be raw?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everything I've ever read about it in game or out has said raw meat for baiting. But that is also contrary to scavengers snooping around your cellars full of cooked meat. There's animal spawning tied to successes rolled against your trapping skill which might be tied to raw meat? Or its just fluff left in the tutorials/encyclopedia from past versions and the spawn is tied solely to the roll when setting the trap and any sort of meat will attract the spawned animal to the trap if its a scavenger.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

On that note, does anyone know what the current status is on your dog dying if you don't feed it? In the wiki it says they won't die but that sounds like something easily patched in and there's no easy way to test.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

dylguy90 posted:

On that note, does anyone know what the current status is on your dog dying if you don't feed it? In the wiki it says they won't die but that sounds like something easily patched in and there's no easy way to test.
I expect no one's gotten that far because not feeding your dog is worse than death. It will wake you up at night with hunger barks, and while hunting it will attack non-hostile prey instead of just chase it and if it kills it before you get there, it will eat from the corpse ruining the hide.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

dylguy90 posted:

One of my dogs ended up hugely crippled as a result of trying to kill a bear, he wasn't able to eat the entire time he was recovering. Still lived, ate about 6 meats once he was able to walk.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I don't have the heart to let the poor thing bark in hunger.

Actually I feed him one trout or salmon each day. By now he should look like this:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I loved this game and played it to death but the biggest problem I've always had is clear cut goals after I've managed to build a small homestead, survive multiple winters, and so forth.

It's been a while since I played. Can archery be raised any way other than shooting at wildlife? Like, is there archery target practice in the game? Or any form of weapons practice? Having to go toe-to-toe with a njerpez or bear in order to try to work on my combat skills was always really aggravating.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The only way I ever thought of to raise archery was to trap and Elk or something in a pit and just plink it with blunt arrows.

And yeah, I'm having trouble thinking of what to do now that my homestead is built and I've got 300-400+ meat smoking, which should be more than enough for winter.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The only way I ever thought of to raise archery was to trap and Elk or something in a pit and just plink it with blunt arrows.

And yeah, I'm having trouble thinking of what to do now that my homestead is built and I've got 300-400+ meat smoking, which should be more than enough for winter.

Torture pits with trapped wildlife or fenced in domestic animals is currently the only way to improve archery that I'm aware of, yeah. At least that's how it used to be. Hopefully Sami will consider some form of practice sparring with melee or target practice with bows.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

khy posted:

I loved this game and played it to death but the biggest problem I've always had is clear cut goals after I've managed to build a small homestead, survive multiple winters, and so forth.

Concerning late game goals, I've said this about Cataclysm and it's true for UnReal World as well: eventually any successful run turns into an episode of Jackass.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The end game goal that seems popular is pushing your luck further and further against wolves, lynxes, or njerpez.

The domestic option is more homesteads. Start with a vacation home on the islands or coast so you can try out seal clubbing as a break from ungulate hunting. Look into a network of travel lodges so you can reach the Driik in all seasons. Or start a logistics network where you use furs from the north to get iron goods from the Driik or foreigners, and donate them to the Kaumo and Reemi.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Any downside to having multiple doors on your house? It takes forever to build walls but only a couple hours to build a door.

Edit: are you able to attract people to your homestead and eventually build your own village? It'd be really cool to get a spouse, neighbors, a sage, etc. at home.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The main downside of having a lot of doors is having more potential entry points for roaming Njerpez/bandits, but on the other hand if you only have one door they'll beeline for it anyway and it's not an exceptionally common occurrence. Fun fact: a cabin made entirely out of doors is a functional cabin in every way that matters, including smoking.

Regrettably, founding a village isn't a thing you can do quite yet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are Njerpez/bandits more likely to climb a perimeter fence or move to gaps? Gaps that would actually be spiked pitfall traps.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I hit a bit of a summer doldrums with fishing and hunting, and now my dog keeps stepping in front of my projectiles.

So I guess the good news is, dog is on the menu :smith:

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Just kill yourself you loving dog killer

In other news, my character is a loving badass. Took down a bunch of robbers with my axe, shrugging off arrows like nobody's business. The injuries are healing well, but just in case, where the gently caress do I find herbs?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just walk around (zoomed in view) and you'll find them. Try forests and hearthland.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Highblood posted:

Just kill yourself you loving dog killer

In other news, my character is a loving badass. Took down a bunch of robbers with my axe, shrugging off arrows like nobody's business. The injuries are healing well, but just in case, where the gently caress do I find herbs?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just walk around (zoomed in view) and you'll find them. Try forests and hearthland.

Also, different places will have different herbs. Almost none of them will pop up until the snow melts, and even then they'll take a while to mature, so unless it's something like 10-12 weeks to midsummer point or later, good luck finding anything.

I have an old character that I used to exploit the game with when exploits were still present - you could steal everything from a village packing it into your animal companion, freely harvest all their fields and so on - so I have enough food for at least a couple years (several thousands turnips / fistfuls of broad beans / peas, a bunch of bags of flour, salt and grains, a few hundred cuts of dried and smoked meat and fish.

I have so many clothes I could dress a couple villages, a masterwork battlesword, masterwork hunting bow, plenty of broadhead arrows, a bunch of iron armor pieces including a spectacle helm, iron cuirass, iron greaves and vambraces, plus mail and furs for the rest of the body.

So naturally I'm kinda bored with that character. What should I do? Give me a challenge folks!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Is founding a village a thing that is going to be in at any point? I've heard that it's been indicated that it won't be.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TorakFade posted:

Also, different places will have different herbs. Almost none of them will pop up until the snow melts, and even then they'll take a while to mature, so unless it's something like 10-12 weeks to midsummer point or later, good luck finding anything.

I have an old character that I used to exploit the game with when exploits were still present - you could steal everything from a village packing it into your animal companion, freely harvest all their fields and so on - so I have enough food for at least a couple years (several thousands turnips / fistfuls of broad beans / peas, a bunch of bags of flour, salt and grains, a few hundred cuts of dried and smoked meat and fish.

I have so many clothes I could dress a couple villages, a masterwork battlesword, masterwork hunting bow, plenty of broadhead arrows, a bunch of iron armor pieces including a spectacle helm, iron cuirass, iron greaves and vambraces, plus mail and furs for the rest of the body.

So naturally I'm kinda bored with that character. What should I do? Give me a challenge folks!
Hunt a wolf pack to make a wolf fur overcoat and hood, go werewolf on whatever culture has been disappointing your other characters.

NewMars posted:

Is founding a village a thing that is going to be in at any point? I've heard that it's been indicated that it won't be.
I don't think founding whole new villages is on the roadmap. But family run homesteads, and becoming accepted as a member of another village are both on there.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
I'm glad this game continues to be updated. is it still possible to slaughter all the villagers and lash their steaming flesh to the sides of their homes? this is important.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
No, cannibalism became impossible to all but the desperately hungry a few versions back. Wrong Turn-esque murdershacks have fallen out of vogue.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

But you can still murder them, drag the grisly mutilated carcasses to your homestead and arrange them in unholy patterns to spell "cthulhu phtagn".

I'm sure that will sit well with the spirits.

Actually I think I will do just that with my uber character. Easier than finding a pack of wolves.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 8, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bear pipe is apparently finnish meth. Eat a little bit, build cabins all night long.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

I noticed things keep cooking long after a fire has burned out, what's the absolute minimum wood I can use to cook just about any fish?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It only checks for fire at the start of a cookery recipe so if you're only cooking one thing you can get away with 3 twigs or whatever the minimum is. For large batches with a camp fire its a huge time sink to relight a fire and wood is basically free so you should get it going for an hour, or more if you're roasting every single piece of an elk at once.

Once you get a fireplace in an enclosed cabin, if you don't need the heat you can just light it up with the bare minimum of wood and get the fire requirement satisfied for a couple days.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If you take a punt/raft into rapids can you capsize or crash against rocks or anything?

Also what's the best source of rope/cord whatever

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Molybdenum posted:

If you take a punt/raft into rapids can you capsize or crash against rocks or anything?

Also what's the best source of rope/cord whatever
Rapids are currently just water spaces that don't freeze and have the best fish, so no nothing actually affecting your boating experience (yet).

You want to make your own cord most of the time. Ropes only advantage is for leashing domestic animals, and you most often do that after trading for the animal, which includes a complimentary rope to leash it.

Early on you can trade for cheaper clothing, or less expensive furs, if you absolutely want cords now and have some trade fodder.

The most common source of otherwise useless leather you can use for cords is probably bird leather from trapping birds. If you have some berries and have seen grouse flying anywhere nearby you can trap them in incredibly short order by building a lever trap, baiting it with berries, and hiding just out of sight until you hear the thud. Its a couple birds per cord, but they are otherwise just hanging in the skies if you're near a lake, taunting you to abandon tasks.

After you get a trapping empire or get a hang of hunting, you'll just start making cord out of your least expensive furs because :effort:

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
I usually make cord from the clothing of travelers I murder.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The only travelers I've seen were foreign traders that all had mail and swords equipped. There was also 6 or 7 of them so I wasn't feeling froggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I noticed something peculiar with companions. The less scummy part is that when you pay for items, your payment goes into the inventory of NPCs, so if you are buying things with cuts anyway, you can basically get a subsidized companion to come chop your wood or murder Njerpez.

The scummy game exploit comes in two. First is that if you notice when grabbing from a companion, items you traded them are yours again. If you include food and tools in every purchase and make sure the NPC wants to be a companion, you can get everything for free by inviting them along after the trade and taking your stuff back.

Second is if you want to outright shortcut the equipment for a murdertrain character. if you pick up settlement items, and give them back to the settlement through the trade menu, it also goes in the npc's inventory. If they join you, you can unpack them out of the settlement and get free stuff. They will count as (unpaid) items so if you pick them up and have them on you when returning to the settlement of origin, they will flip out but you can probably stash them and noone will end up caring. And all that doesn't even matter if you are just on a murder pilgrimage with your new sword.

• Locked thread