Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Saved by their collective uncontrollable murderlust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Blue Raja throws spoons. Git gud :colbert:

Also that movie is way better than anything smashmouth could ever do.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
lol at giving up on the giant door because of a flexile sentry on the other side. That's giving up on the best gimmick weapon, among really good things in there. There's a really neat hat right next door, too.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hope you guys are ready for a blood bath, because here it comes. :q:

In episode #115, we enter the Old Chaos and die a lot.

In episode #116, we die some more in the Old Chaos.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You guys need to go back to where you found that first knight, because you missed something near that tower at the top.

Something amazing.

EDIT: Also you should definitely keep exploring the level, because there's two more knights you can find, as evidenced by their currently empty chairs in the room before the boss door.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 16, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This is the boss that made me quit Dark Souls 2 last time I played, it's cool as heck and all, but I don't think it's very well implemented or designed for a Dark Souls boss. There's also a hidden mechanic that is the most awful grind in the game, and necessary for certain weapons or lore behind what's going on with Eleum Loyce.

Also yes you should probably go find more of the Knights, as you need at least 3 to make the last bit of Old Chaos not kind of awful, and 4 makes it a lot easier than it otherwise would be.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 16, 2017

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

This is the boss fight that I feel is made even better by grabbing summons, because that giant brawl with all the knights becomes even more wild and (Old) chaotic. But, as noted above, you really should grab more Loyce Knights to help you out, because otherwise you'll just get overwhelmed in a manner not unlike Mytha's boss fight without draining the poison. They're both effectively hard-mode versions of an existing fight; both are theoretically doable but in practice are intended to give you a hint that something's missing.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
This is my favorite boss fight. Something epic about having summons and knights jumping into a pit for a huge brawl.

When you have a summon with you bosses get more hp and resistances. I don't remember the exact amount.

You should definitely find the other knights.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #117, we finally get to see the boss!

In episode #118, we abandon the Old Chaos and look for clues.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So you absolutely should use the Bone Fist at some point, it does something particularly special to your attack animations. Also now that you've noticed them the Loyce Souls were the grind I mentioned, you need 50 of them to complete the grind for something that isn't particularly worth it in the end.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #119, we explore the castle to find more knights.

In episode #120, we have a full team of knights but still die a lot.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Curved Nil Greatsword gains bonuses based on your NG cycle, which is what the "travel" thing refers to.

Frigid Outskirts sure is an area, I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle it.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

It's not cute. It's all very serious.
Episode 121: Hell is other knights and Episode 122: Loose ends and shiny floors now up! We are in the home stretch now. Last ten episodes!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Aww, almost... One-trying Sir Alonne would have been quite cathartic after the countless attempts against Fume Knight and Burnt Ivory King.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I remember Sir Alonne having way more tricks up his sleeve

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Progress! But then, greed!

Also your Episode 121 link is kinda hosed, it's a video link that points to a playlist but not an actual video so just breaks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

I remember Sir Alonne having way more tricks up his sleeve
His long-range attacks (such as that charge) are a lot more vicious/difficult to anticipate than his close-range attacks. Normally a player new to the encounter might keep farther away (as is helpful with the Fume Knight), but DrTempest really wanted to do CQC to mitigate the short range of fist weapons which happened to notably temper the preceding issue.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I know I'm late but I just want to remind again that the damage bonus from Flynn's Ring has absolutely nothing to do with how much stuff you're wearing, it's a complete waste of a ring slot for you no matter what :v:

It just keeps bugging me

And yeah, you were completely right about the function of the Loyce Souls. You get stuff for grinding them, for a max of 50. It'll still be possible, if slower, now that you beat the boss.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Fun fact: If you beat Sir Alonne without taking damage something neat happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK8fWdJal4

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You didn't show it off all that much, but the Crypt Blacksword is one of the best weapons in the game. The only real issue is that ultra greatswords are a rather slow weapon class, but even that can be mitigated by proper timing and use of the 2HR2 smash attack to knock enemies off their feet. (I once had a NG++ run using mostly the Dragon Tooth, which is even slower, so sticking to a big weapon isn't as taxing as it sounds.)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hanales posted:

Fun fact: If you beat Sir Alonne without taking damage something neat happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK8fWdJal4

I guess that's what you do when you dishonour your family by losing to a naked girl in pigtails. Do other bosses do stuff like that if you have flawless victories?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Addamere posted:

I guess that's what you do when you dishonour your family by losing to a naked girl in pigtails. Do other bosses do stuff like that if you have flawless victories?

That's the only one I've ever seen. More B-Team awesomeness. (B=Best)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #125, we encounter entirely new things. Honest!

In episode #126, we die in the same hallway several times.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Try stuff with the Bone fist. Try swinging hard, swinging it fast. Try two handing, try the L blocks and attacks. You can thank me later.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The deal with either Smelter Demon's third phase is that enchanting the sword with some element doesn't add fire/magic damage to it, but rather changes the sword's damage type to that. As a result you can stack fire/magic resistance really high to almost completely ignore the second half of the fight.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think you guys haven't fully grasped the magic system yet. Magic damage depends heavily on the catalyst in this one, as it scales off the catalysts' base damage as well as its scaling in the spell's element.

That means to be a cool Hexer, you first want the staff that scales best with Dark, the Sunset Staff. Felkin gives that to you, the guy who sits at the entrance to Huntsman's Copse. Then you upgrade that to +5 (it's Twinkling), and THEN - this is really important - you infuse it with Dark. You didn't do the last step, and I don't know if your casting stick is even close to +10. It's also not the best stick for Hexes even as a substitute (though it is rather good as a Sorcery catalyst...you'd want to infuse it with Magic, though).

With your 40/40 in the casting stats, you could be an amazing Hexer and totally cream bosses like your plan was, but I'm not seeing it with the piddly catalyst you're using atm.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #127, we finally kill the monster of the week!

In episode #128, we :member: snippets of the plot — I think?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In episode #129, we continue stumbling through memories.

In episode #130, goof around with consumables and spells.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Aldia is a new addition to SotFS so yes, that was it with Nashandra in the original. The DLC or completing them have nothing to do with Aldia showing up. Similarly, there was no choice but to take the throne in the original.

Also, one bit about Nashandra's motivations that you probably missed is that she's, like Nadalia, Elana and Alsanna, a reincarnated fragment of Manus. It's implied in their soul and weapon descriptions.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The fact that the Giant Lord reminded you guys of the last giant is no coincidence. If you revisit the description of the soul of the last giant, it says this:

Soul of the last giant posted:

Soul of the surviving giant, who was bound below the Forest of Giants.
The lord of the Giants, who had brought wreck and ruin to the entire kingdom was said to have been felled by an unknown warrior. His beaten and broken remains were then dragged beneath the stronghold, where he was sealed away.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So our future-self had already gone back into the past and beaten up the giant lord before we'd gotten to him as the first boss? Neat!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Addamere posted:

So our future-self had already gone back into the past and beaten up the giant lord before we'd gotten to him as the first boss? Neat!

Yeah it's why he rips his own arm off to try to kill you. He's REALLY mad.

Also, the reason you can damage vendrick now is you have souls of a giant in your inventory. Without any he has 32X the amount of defense. With 1 he has 16x, up to 5 souls where he has his normal defense. I think you had 3?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Y'all gonna run the snow gauntlet? I was looking towards seeing you try it ever since you hit the DLCs.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

Gimbal lock posted:

Y'all gonna run the snow gauntlet? I was looking towards seeing you try it ever since you hit the DLCs.

We actually forgot, unfortunately. I went and tried this on a solo characer later on and it's most definitely for the best. I would have had an aneurysm on screen.

Which, I suppose, is what you all wanted.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

DrTempest posted:

We actually forgot, unfortunately. I went and tried this on a solo characer later on and it's most definitely for the best. I would have had an aneurysm on screen.

Which, I suppose, is what you all wanted.

accurate

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Did you ever go back to that one door in Shrine of Amana that was previously locked? It was behind the Dragonrider-as-miniboss. If not, well, you can open it now so long as you're not hollowed. (And then you'll have an idea of how to finish that sidequest. ;) )

As far as the endings go, the "leave the throne" path isn't about embracing Dark like DS1's was. Rather, the implication is that taking the throne (insde a kiln, no less) allows for either DS1-style ending, and thus that neither of DS1's endings are ruled out. (In general, the big premise of DS2 was that both of DS1's endings were valid, and exploring the implications thereof.) But in any case you can see the other ending without proceeding to NG+; you'll just need to toss an ascetic on the first Drangleic Castle bonfire and fight through three sets of bosses again. Not the most thrilling experience, I know, given that Nashandra/Aldia aren't that hard while the Throne Watcher/Defender are tag-teaming jerks.

Or shall I just show it off in the thread as a separate video? I've got a few saves that can easily ascetic their way through the gauntlet.

That Bow of Want is one of the best two "normal" bows in the game, the other one being the Hunter's Blackbow.

tiistai posted:

Aldia is a new addition to SotFS so yes, that was it with Nashandra in the original. The DLC or completing them have nothing to do with Aldia showing up. Similarly, there was no choice but to take the throne in the original.

Also, one bit about Nashandra's motivations that you probably missed is that she's, like Nadalia, Elana and Alsanna, a reincarnated fragment of Manus. It's implied in their soul and weapon descriptions.
To expand on this, all the fragments of Manus you interacted with represent some piece of his emotions.
  • Nashandra is his desire.
  • Elana is his wrath.
  • Nadalia was his solitude.
  • Alsanna is his fear.

DrTempest
Dec 11, 2011

We did not, and unfortunately we ended the LP with a couple loose ends strewn about. That door, the winter zone, and I'm sure a few other things. Thanks, everyone, for sticking with us throught our (my) computer exploding twice, as well as our delayed episode progression. Such is life.

As an overall thought, I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Souls 2, possibly even more than Dark Souls 1. The first had a better world, but the sequels gameplay was just... better. And the build's felt much more balanced, like several of the weapon sets we used were about the same power, only a couple feeling like they didn't work well.

Feel free to spoil things we may have missed! And again, thanks for watching.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Dark Souls 3 when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lprsti99 posted:

Dark Souls 3 when?

The plan was to do it sometime after they release whatever they're going to call the ultimate edition with all DLC.

There is also the issue that DrTempest and I no longer live with or near each other, or have compatible schedules, and his computer is still exploded so ... it'll be a bit, if at all.

• Locked thread