Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yes, you're supposed to rotate the flywheel to reach each bolt. Set the transmission in neutral, then use a hefty flatblade screwdriver or a small pry bar to rotate the flywheel tooth by tooth until you can reach the next bolt. The engine should always rotate clockwise from the front, so laying under the truck with your head pointed to the front, the flywheel should turn to the left.

And that's a dumb missed step, but Chilton's can be crap and miss stuff like that. Yes, remove the driveshaft now. Unbolt it from the rear u-joint, it should slip forward enough to drop off the yoke and then you should be able to pull it out of the transmission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Found the step, and also found the driveshaft removal instructions. This is a two-piece driveshaft and it looks like the forward piece cannot slide backwards through the yoke at all. I need to disconnect the rearmost u-joint right in front of the transfer case, slide the rear shaft forward a bit and drop it, then it slides off, and then I can remove the center bearing support (the yoke), and then the forward section of the drive shaft can slide out of the back of the transmission.

Huh. I figured the S10 would have a one-piece driveshaft. Shows how much I know.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I'm sorry, but you're probably going to have to pull the transmission again and torque those bolts down to spec with actual loctite.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

No no no. These are the three bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate. I can get to them just by removing the torque converter cover.

I rattled them down an hour ago. I have no way of using my impact driver with a torque wrench, so I went with "four half-second bursts" as probably being plenty good enough. Buuuut, yeah, they do have antiseize on them so if I have to I guess I can take them back out, clean everything (brake cleaner I guess?) and put them back in with loctite.

The six flex plate to engine bolts I did not use any thread treatment, and I torqued them to spec because I actually had torque specs for them in the Chilton's.

Oh, ok. You're probably fine then.

• Locked thread