Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
My local public broadcast station (WOSU) created a bunch of neat historic videos about the neighborhoods in my city, Columbus Ohio. They still have many of them available for public viewing at http://columbusneighborhoods.org/videos/

I watched one or two of these a couple years ago and recently thought about them again & started going through them. Just this week, they made about half of them private (if you watch any of the ones still available, you will see that they are on Youtube under https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?WOSUColumbus )

These were all publicly available just a week ago. Actually, I have a customer that is 102 years old you can see at the 31 minute mark in the Tri-Village video - if you can watch it.

Are these cached or saved somewhere? I would like to download them all & save them if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
You can check and see if the video is saved on the Internet Archive, but they don't generally grab the actual video data (since there's so much of it). You might also try asking the station if they can put the video back up; it may have just gotten a frivolous copyright claim or something.

To save the videos yourself you can use youtube-dl to download Youtube videos, playlists and users/channels (as well as content from tons of other sites). I suggest using the following command-line options with youtube-dl
code:
--continue --retries 4 --write-info-json --write-description --write-thumbnail --write-annotations --all-subs --ignore-errors -f "bestvideo+bestaudio/best"
Some videos require ffmpeg or libav to merge the audio and video into a single file. For Windows you can get ffmpeg here and use --ffmpeg-location to point youtube-dl at the folder where you extracted it.

Edit: if you don't want it giving you .webm and .mkv files try -f "bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/bestvideo+bestaudio/best" which should prioritize MP4 over every other format (note: I haven't tested this).

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 29, 2016

• Locked thread