Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Photosyphilis

Science rules!
So I talked to a peace corps recruiter late last year and was p much turned down because I don't have a bachelor's. Today I started looking for other organizations to go to and it costs like 8-12k to go for a year? Wtf I don't have that kind of money. I would've thought people would be like, "oh man you wanna go to x country for a year and do stuff? All we gotta do is pay for your living expenses and the like? Oh yeah let's go"
Idk maybe a lil e/n for the yob, but I just wanna help people. I can't pay $12,000 to do it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

when i hear about the hardships of the people I'm helping, sometimes i volun-tear up a little

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
at least you can put on your resume that you tried!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
thats like those breast cancer walks where if you don't get enough money donated you have to pay out of pocket to walk with the group

ScrubLeague

Man they don't even pay you it's super hosed up

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ace of Baes
Just become a mormon

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

Photosyphilis posted:

So I talked to a peace corps recruiter late last year and was p much turned down because I don't have a bachelor's. Today I started looking for other organizations to go to and it costs like 8-12k to go for a year? Wtf I don't have that kind of money. I would've thought people would be like, "oh man you wanna go to x country for a year and do stuff? All we gotta do is pay for your living expenses and the like? Oh yeah let's go"
Idk maybe a lil e/n for the yob, but I just wanna help people. I can't pay $12,000 to do it though

gofundme?

alnilam

Serious response, do some local volunteering it's free. There are some good traveling volunteering opportunities or "voluntourism," but there are a lot of sorta bogus ones too that charge money beyond living and travel expenses, cause a lot of people want a free feel-good trip to somewhere interesting

Volunteer locally and eventually you might get a hot tip from a fellow volunteer or someone who works for the org on some good legit non-charging voluntourism opportunities, i know I've heard a few in my volunteering career and i wasnt even asking for them

MrWillsauce

join your local marijuana legalization activist group. It's a noble cause. Unless you live in a chill place where it's already legal. Then go to the humane society or something I guess.

hemale in pain

alnilam posted:

Serious response, do some local volunteering it's free. There are some good traveling volunteering opportunities or "voluntourism," but there are a lot of sorta bogus ones too that charge money beyond living and travel expenses, cause a lot of people want a free feel-good trip to somewhere interesting

Volunteer locally and eventually you might get a hot tip from a fellow volunteer or someone who works for the org on some good legit non-charging voluntourism opportunities, i know I've heard a few in my volunteering career and i wasnt even asking for them

be prepared to work alongside some really creepy people who are doing community service lol

google THIS

poster: I want to do good things, any ideas?

byob: go help some cattes or maybe, get this, weed lol, don't worry about hunger or poverty those are pretty much wiped out now that sid has a job

alnilam

I volunteer a lot and I've never encountered anyone doing community service :shrug:

I think in part its because i do pretty specific volunteer causes whereas community service people probably go for the most obvious options e.g. soup kitchen (not to knock soup kitchen work)

hemale in pain

dammit, im just unlucky then

MrWillsauce

google THIS posted:

poster: I want to do good things, any ideas?

byob: go help some cattes or maybe, get this, weed lol, don't worry about hunger or poverty those are pretty much wiped out now that sid has a job

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Not to suggest that you aren't already doing volunteer work, but if that's the case then I agree with alnilam that you should start just by doing some volunteering near to yourself. As Mother Teresa said, “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

I used to have a hard time finding a place to volunteer. I would try volunteer websites or google phrases like "youth shelter [my city]" or whatever. They never responded to my e-mails or said they needed people. So I ended up just talking to my priest after Mass one week, and he directed me to a food pantry where I've been volunteering every week for half a year now.

Say what you will about Christians but it really seems like they are better at setting up this kind of stuff than atheists.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Piso Mojado

you should volunteer with the army. they will pay you to help out poor third world countries stricken with a severe lack of craters.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

This is why I became a Social Justice Warrior. It lets me fight evil from the comfort of my own bed.

MrWillsauce

Piso Mojado posted:

you should volunteer with the army. they will pay you to help out poor third world countries stricken with a severe lack of craters.

and give all those poor children some healthy lead to eat

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

MrWillsauce posted:

and give all those poor children some healthy lead* to eat

*depleted uranium

ChairmanMeow

I've never known a senior citizen center to turn anyone away.
please come, the bingo caller is missing

Photosyphilis

Science rules!

alnilam posted:

This is a good idea. I'm gonna do this thing

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

blaise rascal posted:

Not to suggest that you aren't already doing volunteer work, but if that's the case then I agree with alnilam that you should start just by doing some volunteering near to yourself. As Mother Teresa said, “Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”

I used to have a hard time finding a place to volunteer. I would try volunteer websites or google phrases like "youth shelter [my city]" or whatever. They never responded to my e-mails or said they needed people. So I ended up just talking to my priest after Mass one week, and he directed me to a food pantry where I've been volunteering every week for half a year now.

Say what you will about Christians but it really seems like they are better at setting up this kind of stuff than atheists.

support your local community yes :)

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's always nice to have the experience of any volunteer work added to the resume.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

bacalou

ah yes, the ol' "how can volunteering benefit me economically" angle, favorite of the heartlessly deranged

GotDonuts

Karbohydrate Kitteh

hemale in pain posted:

be prepared to work alongside some really creepy people who are doing community service lol

A thousand times this, I've had to volunteer several times for my degree and each time I've had to explain to the place I was volunteering for that I do not have a judges order to be there. I've worked along side druggies and drunkies during my volunteer rotations due to this. I mean, I coulda found somewhere better to volunteer, but then I would have to do more than sweep and mop.

bacalou

try donating. usually local women's shelters are based out of a church with no formal support and they always love donations. dropping $50 can have a tangible difference in the community and help someone's life get back on track. rape crisis centers also need donations and you're directly paying for medical assistance and therapy for those suffering. food kitchens that supply free food boxes to the poor need money way more than your old cans so that's also an option. ideally you'd just drop $10 a month into a jar and after a year that's a $120 donation to the cause of your choice. jus sayin

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i want to feel good about myself by volunteering, but i also dont want to inconvenience myself in any actual way

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hemale in pain

Nosfereefer posted:

i want to feel good about myself by volunteering, but i also dont want to inconvenience myself in any actual way

a good way to do this is to donate a small amount to charity

Piso Mojado

Nosfereefer posted:

buy the recycled paper towels at the store (when on sale)

Ace of Baes

bacalou posted:

ah yes, the ol' "how can volunteering benefit me economically" angle, favorite of the heartlessly deranged

There's nothing wrong with volunteering to fill gaps in your work history while you're doing other stuff, it's a win-win for you and the organization you're helping.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
personally i volunteer just to meet girls

Nosfereefer

its a win win, except for the girls who are creeped out

F2B
hey I got a question can anybody do peace corps or is it only to pay for college?

FluffieDuckie

F2B posted:

hey I got a question can anybody do peace corps or is it only to pay for college?

http://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Afro Doug

check out your local ambulance corps.

the unabonger
volunteer at the local animal shelter. part of your duties will likely be petting dogs and/or cats

ChairmanMeow

so um... no bingo?

Ace of Baes
pretty sure pming bo pepper and fluffieduckie counts as volunteering with the elderly

the unabonger
swish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

Ace of Baes posted:

pretty sure pming bo pepper and fluffieduckie counts as volunteering with the elderly

you're adorable when you get uppity

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

• Locked thread