Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
That was really good and Marnie was not terrible, am I broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress that episode was great.

Moboe
Apr 13, 2014

StoneOfShame posted:

That was really good and Marnie was not terrible, am I broken?

I agree with you. Marnie was my least favorite character but after this episode, I have a new found respect for her. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this episode without other plot lines involved.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
So is Marnie going to catch some disease from Charlie now? (Hep, AIDS) Also I expect more of a fallout from Hannah deleting all of Fran's nude pictures and adding one of herself has his home screen, (e.g. a kid at their school sees it and Fran gets fired, or at the very least he brings up that she shouldn't be messing with his phone...) instead it's kinda been ignored completely. I've been watching since S1 and I think this season could definitely be one of the best.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Am I the only one that thinks that this season has been one of the worst? In all the other seasons the characters are in situations and take actions that you would recognize in yourself or people you know, and that possibly could happen if a real person made a series of really bad and stupid decisions.

This season however has been all sitcom schlock and shock value. I refuse to believe ANYTHING in the Japan episodes is even remotely plausible, nobody would ask their manager at a coffee shop to take a naked picture of them, you would get fired from the school after doing any single one of the things Hannah does. A professional makeupartist for a wedding would know her poo poo. They make the girls seem sympathetic by surrounding them with secondary and tertiary characters that are even bigger assholes, instead of showing them as the huge assholes they are compared to people in the real world like in the last seasons.

I say this as one of the biggest Girls fanboys. Maybe I have misunderstood something about this show :smith:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't really have any specific response to your criticisms but I guess you are the only one yeah.

The framing device of the Kitty Genovese play in this latest episode was absolutely hilarious

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

evobatman posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that this season has been one of the worst? In all the other seasons the characters are in situations and take actions that you would recognize in yourself or people you know, and that possibly could happen if a real person made a series of really bad and stupid decisions.

This season however has been all sitcom schlock and shock value. I refuse to believe ANYTHING in the Japan episodes is even remotely plausible, nobody would ask their manager at a coffee shop to take a naked picture of them, you would get fired from the school after doing any single one of the things Hannah does. A professional makeupartist for a wedding would know her poo poo. They make the girls seem sympathetic by surrounding them with secondary and tertiary characters that are even bigger assholes, instead of showing them as the huge assholes they are compared to people in the real world like in the last seasons.

I say this as one of the biggest Girls fanboys. Maybe I have misunderstood something about this show :smith:

A lot of this applies to most seasons.

The show's never really had a good union between the comedy (which is really cartoonish and consists of everyone acting insanely) and the drama. It's almost like there are two different versions of each character.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evobatman posted:

I want a "Shoshana travels the world" spin off series very badly. I also don't think the show is trying to hide what giant assholes they are... Except Shoshana.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Halfway through the latest episode. I saw this coming from Bald Anderson Cooper, I'm afraid, but it still sucks.

Please God let Desi die.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

I think Lena Dunham is showing off some serious acting chops this season. That look on her face at the end was heartbreaking.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've always dug this show but this season feels like an apex. They are riding high on great production and great characters. I loved the scene where Hannah finds out about Adam and Jessa through unspoken affection.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm gone back and watched season 2 and 3 for the first time. drat, these characters know how to be annoying yet likeable.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This season has been fantastic and Lena Dunham was fantastic in that last episode as has been said above. I almost feel that she's become self aware enough to realise how Hannah is and fully commit to it, I loved her acting like a child and rolling around the bed inba tantrum when Marnie wasn't paying attention to her.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ray can get hard whenever he wants. Ask anyone! Let's call around!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha hannah sucks so much in this episode

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Everyone with the exception of Adam has gone full retard.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahaha hannah sucks so much in this episode

LITERALLY!!!:haw:

This show has had its ups and downs, but holy poo poo this has been a great season. Hannah remains awful. Hope Caroline's not dead.

e: the best way for this show to end would be for Desi to be boiled alive in a vat of acid.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 11, 2016

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There's no way that truck cost 50k, but I would make Hannah pay twice that.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

I have to think that this season is leading to Hannah having a realisation about how awful she is because she keeps getting worse and worse and Lena Dunham is playing it fantastically the expression on her face as Fran was calling her out on her bullshit running off into the woods was so wonderfully petulant. Rey was glorious and Adam is a bastion of decency amongst these people, he's going to end up raising that kid.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Inkspot posted:

There's no way that truck cost 50k, but I would make Hannah pay twice that.

Food trucks are expensive. Like 50-200k expensive depending. Coffee and pastries are going to put him on the low end, but still very believable.

It's interesting how Adam started out as the dark, deeply troubled, man-child and now he's the kind hearted grown up of the bunch.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Jesus christ, Hannah is such a terrible person.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Jenny Slate to the rescue.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, thought that was a pretty good series finale and then found out they're making another season. Probably could have left it at that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Adam Driver is pretty good at acting.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm gonna go on record as saying I think this was the best season Girls has had so far, and certainly the best one since the first. Great finale, and Dunham and Slate in particular were both incredible.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Hmm, thought that was a pretty good series finale and then found out they're making another season. Probably could have left it at that.
That ending montage was perfect. That freeze frame was perfect. I don't mind that there is another season because no matter how bad it is - we got a good ending here.

EDIT: There was something about the way all the girls were separate at the end. Like they had all drifted apart but that was OK and life.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 18, 2016

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

I hate the Marnie/Ray relationship so badly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the other hand, I would be ok with a spinoff that was completely about Ray.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Girls is really good any time Hannah is not on the screen. I have never met such an insufferable character (and not in a "wow that's good writing" way). It just seems like the most loving redundantly lazy writing. And goddamn that freeze frame at the end single handedly justifies all of the critics "self serving and entitled" critiques of the show.

Everything else though is great and Adam Driver is absolutely amazing.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I loved the anti-hipster coffee shop make over. 'Selling coffee to people with jobs' indeed!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ray is the best. When everybody else was in their own dramas at the end of the Kitty play, he has this beautiful throw away line "I'm going home to do some follow up reading."

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

And at the end of this season Hannah loudly declares in a public reading that she is a terrible, horrible person who is only really happy when other people are miserable and it is because of her.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was I imagining things or did Ray have the same framed poster on his wall that Adam and Jessa did?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I love Elijah and his relationships with Hannah's parents. Being a supportive gay buddy for Hannah's gay dad, hanging out on the corner with Hannah's mom drinking 40s. :3:

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

NomChompsky posted:

And at the end of this season Hannah loudly declares in a public reading that she is a terrible, horrible person who is only really happy when other people are miserable and it is because of her.

Not just that but she as much admits she doesn't really care and will keep going on like that. It was great finale and holy gently caress was Adam Driver brilliant.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

withak posted:

Was I imagining things or did Ray have the same framed poster on his wall that Adam and Jessa did?

And the same lamp and bike hanging up by the door. Are they roommates?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Although the fight scene was straight out of Things Lena Dunham Masturbates To, this was a great finale. The monologue shot was great. It was The Moth material to be sure (the faithful WNYC-listening liberal I am gives no fucks). And I even like the idea we might be seeing a less lovely protagonist next season.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

this was probably the best season of Girls since maybe the first season. loving fantastic all around.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006

BonoMan posted:

And the same lamp and bike hanging up by the door. Are they roommates?

Yeah they were trashing Ray's apartment. Adam moved in with him after him and Mimi Rose split up and he left Hannah's apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Roulette posted:

Yeah they were trashing Ray's apartment. Adam moved in with him after him and Mimi Rose split up and he left Hannah's apartment.

:aaaaa:

I'm the opposite of everyone in this thread in that I love Marnie and Shosh the best, and dislike Adam.

What an incredible season.

• Locked thread